Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you having second thoughts about your 10.5in iPad Pro?

• Total voters

mickeydean

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2011
I returned the 10.5 to Apple. I'm keeping my Gen 1 12.9 mostly because I can't afford a new iPad. The changes aren't significant if it were financially viable though.

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
I'm not judging you, I'm simply asking.
What if you really liked it, but couldn't afford it? is it not like torturing yourself..

Last edited:
Reactions: sracer

Broadus

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
Upstate SC
I have both a new 9.7 Pro and 10.5 Pro, bought from Best Buy. I need to make a decision by Saturday as to which to keep, it either. The 10.5 doesn't really do much better what the 9.7 doesn't quite do for me: display PDFs in general and sheet music in particular. I may keep the 9.7, since it was about $300 less than the 10.5 sells for, and add the new 12.9 Pro.

Edit: Comparing the 9.7 and the 10.5 again this afternoon, I have to say that the 10.5 is noticeably better on websites and PDFs than the 9.7. It's still not quite large enough, but it's close. I may keep neither the two smaller Pros and simply go with the 12.9. For me, I think an 11-point-something inch tablet would make for a great all-in-one size.

Last edited:

mowpar

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2014
I'd be curious to know if you get your iPad back. Those are often times scams. They get the refund and either don't return the iPad or they return an empty box. Let us know.
Believe it or not I have received back the item just as it was sent. Cannot understand why the apple tech guiding me through the process and the apple tech guiding the purchaser also through the steps to unlock this thing did not work. All it did was cost me shipping their and back. Thanks apple tech for nothing.

Broadus

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
Upstate SC
Believe it or not I have received back the item just as it was sent. Cannot understand why the apple tech guiding me through the process and the apple tech guiding the purchaser also through the steps to unlock this thing did not work. All it did was cost me shipping their and back. Thanks apple tech for nothing.

Glad you received it back okay.

Reactions: subjonas

Precursor

Cancelled
Sep 29, 2015
Istanbul
Not returning, but giving away my 10.5" to a family member and getting the 2nd gen 12.9"

Already gave away my 1st gen 12.9" to family, but then regretted the switch to a much smaller screen and ordered the bigger one again. Now everyone in the family has ipad lol.

To me the 10.5" is too small YMMVMV

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I am going the opposite direction; returning a 12.9 and keeping a 10.5.
That's what I did. I basically flipped flopped a couple of times. In purchasing the 10.5 I wondered if I erred in my decision, as I compared the 12.9 vs. 10.5. I eventually exchanged it for the 12.9, but man alive that was just too big for how I use it. YMMV but for me, it was too big, so I went back to the 10.5 and I couldn't be happier

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
I went to the apple store again today after using the 10.5 for a couple of weeks now to feel the 12.9 again. Love the vastness of the screen (though it feels really crippled under ios 10 after having used the ios 11 beta a while now) but it's SO heavy and big... By now I'm thinking apple tricked us into buying the 10.5 with reduced bezels only to push out a 12.9" with reduced bezels next year, just the way like they did it with the pencil support the other way around a year ago. I'll get that version if it ever comes out, but for now the 10.5 is perfect!

Dave-Z

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
it's SO heavy and big...

Everyone says that but it's lighter than the first generation iPad. And it weighs about as much as the fourth gen. iPad. I think we've all just gotten spoiled with the Air (and later) weight.

(I do not own a 12.9... yet.)

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Everyone says that but it's lighter than the first generation iPad. And it weighs about as much as the fourth gen. iPad. I think we've all just gotten spoiled with the Air (and later) weight.

(I do not own a 12.9... yet.)
Yes it might be, but someone explained it very well in another thread, I can’t even replicate properly, but because of how big it is, it FEELS heavier when you have to hold it, cause you have to hold it differently than the smaller ones. It’s just unwieldy.

I miss the ability of two full screen apps and I definitely use split screen less on the 10.5. But still, it just feels more practical. I wish Apple made a lighter, bezel free version in the style of the new iPhone of the 12.9 next year.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I wish Apple made a lighter, bezel free version in the style of the new iPhone of the 12.9 next year.

I don't see iPads ever losing the bezels completely. You really need bezels to grip the iPad and rotate it around while you're drawing. Otherwise you'd be constantly pressing UI buttons. I think at most, the 12.9 will get the same bezel treatment as the 10.5.

I'm sure they'll keep making it lighter though.

Reactions: KarimLeVallois

Dave-Z

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
because of how big it is, it FEELS heavier when you have to hold it, cause you have to hold it differently than the smaller ones.

I understand. I don't have one yet, as I mentioned, and I've often wondered if I'll actually enjoy using it. I do about 90% of my work on an iPad so I figured having the larger screen will be beneficial to me. I've gone back and forth between the 10 and 12 but in the end decided that I'll never know if I like the 12.9 unless I use it. I'm just waiting till I have time to actually sit down and work on it before I order so I can take advantage of the return period in case I really don't like it.

I wish Apple made a lighter, bezel free version in the style of the new iPhone of the 12.9 next year.

I was hoping for the same thing with the second generation 12.9: lighter and small bezels. Oh well... I'm sure it'll come in time.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
I was hoping for the same thing with the second generation 12.9: lighter and small bezels. Oh well... I'm sure it'll come in time.

The more I think about it the more likely I think it is they will just push out the 10.5 bezel style version of 12.9 next release cycle, just to make people like me who now bought the smaller one go buy the bigger one again. Damn you Tim!!
[doublepost=1502827274][/doublepost]
It is lighter actually.

Yes but I was talking even lighter than it is now. I had a 12.9 for over a year and got used to it and was fine with it. But now after I got used to 10.5 and was holding the big one in the store for maybe 30 seconds I felt arm fatigue right away :D

Reactions: Ghost31

Dave-Z

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
The more I think about it the more likely I think it is they will just push out the 10.5 bezel style version of 12.9 next release cycle, just to make people like me who now bought the smaller one go buy the bigger one again. Damn you Tim!!

Completely agree. In fact, I think the conversation sort of went like this:

Jony: We're reducing the bezels for the new 10" iPad. Should we reduce the 12's also? We can easily enough.

Tim: No. Put the new internals in it now. We'll save the size reduction for a minor bump next year.

Jony: You're so awesome at making money!

Tim: And you're awesome at design!

Hugs ensue.

Okay, so I got creative in the end, but I think the first part is true.

Reactions: chfilm

retrouk

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2017
Hi everyone. Having spoken to Apple UK today, I was told that there is a huge demand for the 12.9 inch model compared with the 10.5. That is why here in the UK, there is no available stock of the 12.9 iPad Pro as supply just keeps running out. I have gone from initially having the 10.5 iPad Pro and finding the screen too small to getting the 12.9 iPad Pro instead. If you like watching videos and playing games, then the 12.9 inch is a no brainer imho. Just to add that my 12.9 iPad Pro is being shipped directly from Apple's factory in China and I'm able to see its entire journey online to my house. Pretty cool stuff :)

LoneWolf83

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2017
Lom, Norway
Hi everyone. Having spoken to Apple UK today, I was told that there is a huge demand for the 12.9 inch model compared with the 10.5. That is why here in the UK, there is no available stock of the 12.9 iPad Pro as supply just keeps running out. I have gone from initially having the 10.5 iPad Pro and finding the screen too small to getting the 12.9 iPad Pro instead. If you like watching videos and playing games, then the 12.9 inch is a no brainer imho. Just to add that my 12.9 iPad Pro is being shipped directly from Apple's factory in China and I'm able to see its entire journey online to my house. Pretty cool stuff :)

Same exact situation here in Norway. Endless 10.5's to find, only a few tens of 12.9's which are sold out as soon as they reach the shelves.

Mine has finally left China today as well... Time to stop stalking apple.com and start stalking dhl.com instead

blwade

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
Completely agree. In fact, I think the conversation sort of went like this:

Okay, so I got creative in the end, but I think the first part is true.

I have a 12.9 and was thinking the other night how you might be able to reduce some bezel from the top and bottom... but if you remove more from the sides, I don't think a normal sized person would be able to hold it with their thumb parallel to the screen without accidentally hitting the screen. So, I'm actually one of the people that would like the side bezels to stay the way they are.

Dave-Z

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
@blwade

I’ve read a few other comments similar to yours. I can understand that, but my iPad Mini is pretty good at thumb rejection when I’m holding it so I’m sure Apple could make it work.

I guess I’ll find out for first-hand in a few weeks when I get one. :)

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
I have a 12.9 and was thinking the other night how you might be able to reduce some bezel from the top and bottom... but if you remove more from the sides, I don't think a normal sized person would be able to hold it with their thumb parallel to the screen without accidentally hitting the screen. So, I'm actually one of the people that would like the side bezels to stay the way they are.

If Apple can put in palm rejection when using the Apple pencil, there is NO doubt in my mind that they could put similar rejection when holding the ipad on the sides...even if Apple removed the bezels entirely. No doubt At all.

Benito

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto, Canada
I'm surprised at the number of people who feel that the 12.9" iPad Pro is not mobile. I use mine all over the place. I am very comfortable reading in bed with it either propped up on my bent legs or just resting on my chest. It is totally mobile and very comfortable to use lying down or sitting in a couch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.