Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you having second thoughts about your 10.5in iPad Pro?

• Total voters

Ipadlover29

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2011
Returned my 10.5 for a 12.9 about 2 weeks ago. I'm so glad I did and don't regret it one bit. I love the larger screen its better for my eyes and multitasking. The speakers are louder and I'm getting amazing battery life (19-20 hours). At first I was concerned about the size and the weight. I use either the Smart Cover or the Smart Keyboard as a stand about 90% of the time. When I upgraded from the 9.7 pro to the 10.5 I just didn't find it to be big enough for me. Now when I try or see the 10.5 in stores it feels like I'm using the iPad mini. Another concern of mine was being able to get stock in store. After a few days of trying I was finally able to get one in store.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Returned my 10.5 for a 12.9 about 2 weeks ago. I'm so glad I did and don't regret it one bit. I love the larger screen its better for my eyes and multitasking. The speakers are louder and I'm getting amazing battery life (19-20 hours). At first I was concerned about the size and the weight. I use either the Smart Cover or the Smart Keyboard as a stand about 90% of the time. When I upgraded from the 9.7 pro to the 10.5 I just didn't find it to be big enough for me. Now when I try or see the 10.5 in stores it feels like I'm using the iPad mini. Another concern of mine was being able to get stock in store. After a few days of trying I was finally able to get one in store.

The 12.9 iPad definitely is limited in certain areas and configurations. But interestingly enough, you commented on the quad speakers being louder on the 12.9 over the 10.5. That I would have to agree with, which is a nice advantage if you do use the quad speakers for watching movies or other media.

ChinaRye

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2007
Washington, DC
I have a 1st gen 12.9 and just got a 10.5. I have to say, as much as I love the 12.9, it really lacks portability. For me, the trade off in screen size is well worth the added portability of the 10.5. I never really used 50/50 split screen, almost always using 75/25, so the iPhone vs iPad interfaces isn’t as big of a deal. The 12.9 gets rather unruly when you add a Smart Keyboard.

I did the same thing. I love the screen size of the 12.9, but with the Smart Keyboard cover, it weighs almost as much as my MBP, which negates the portability factor that is the reason I got the iPad in the first place. Bought the 10.5. Though noticeably smaller, it is MUCH more portable, which suits my needs better. I'm giving the 12.9 to my mom. I haven't given it to her yet, and pick it up from time to time and marvel at how big it is compared to my 10.5!

Reactions: Cashmonee

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
I just got my 10.5 Pro. Upgrading from an iPad Air so the size is already bigger than what I was used to, and this thing is so fast it's unbelievable.

Anyway, I really questioned between the 10.5 and 12.9 because I wanted this to replace everything but my gaming computer. So I tried just using my Air for a couple of days for everything I could and the screen size wasn't really inconvenient ever. Only the performance annoyed me eventually (kind of helped push me to get the Pro). It's also more portable and easier to watch Netflix/Youtube on, which is what I usually use an iPad for most of the time.

If it were just a laptop replacement that set on a desk 90% of the time I would have gotten the 12.9, but an almost 13" screen right by your face while watching movies in bed is kind of annoying in my opinion. Plus it just feels too big to carry around and use. I have a 2-in-1 HP Spectre that's about that size that I intended to replace my iPad and laptop, but it is so unwieldy that I only use it as a laptop (plus windows 10 kind of sucks for touch).

Reactions: Taraba

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
Problem with the poll is you have no idea if it's really reflective or not of real owners.
Maybe all the existing 12.9 owners have voted even though they don't have a 10.5.

I doubt apple will declare the actual sales break down, but one of the store staff suggested the smaller iPads are selling 5/6 to 1 vs the 12.9. But again, one person in one store is not in anyway reflective.

jnjbrewer

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2015
I'm not surprised that the people who were using the 12.9" first gen Pro are not liking the switch down to a 10.5" Pro. It's still substantially smaller than the 12.9" model.
This is exactly my fear— I have an air 2 which I use for speaking notes, and would love to carry around one device (because the 12.9 is not portable for public speaking). But I have gotten very spoiled by essentially having two iPads side by side while typing. BTW, I’m using it as a laptop replacement, and with the exception of batch email, I don’t miss my MacBook Pro at all.

Reactions: rui no onna

retrouk

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2017
Hi everyone, having returned my iPad Pro 10.5 due to having an issue with the Smart Cover, I will be buying the 12.9 iPad Pro instead. Had a chance to compare both the 10.5 and 12.9 iPad Pro at my local Apple store. For what I will be using it for which is watching videos, entertainment and games, you can't beat the 12.9 iPad for that. Plus the iPad will be at home most of the time. With regards to portability and weight, I don't see any issues with the 12.9 iPad. It does not weight all that much imho.

Reactions: Precursor

bnmcj1

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2014
Hi everyone, having returned my iPad Pro 10.5 due to having an issue with the Smart Cover, I will be buying the 12.9 iPad Pro instead. Had a chance to compare both the 10.5 and 12.9 iPad Pro at my local Apple store. For what I will be using it for which is watching videos, entertainment and games, you can't beat the 12.9 iPad for that. Plus the iPad will be at home most of the time. With regards to portability and weight, I don't see any issues with the 12.9 iPad. It does not weight all that much imho.

Good choice. The 12.9 is so small and light. 12.9 inch is nothing. Cant see why anyone who use iPad at home primarily would choose the 10.5". It is way too small with a useless cramped keyboard.

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
I'd rather pick up and use the 10.5, it just feels nicer to hold and is generally more useable.
I dont use the keyboard at all if you mean the crappy add-on thing. if i want a device with a keyboard i would go immediately to the laptop.

bnmcj1

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2014
Disagree there--I find the 10.5 Keyboard to be fantastic. Size wise, it feels close to my Magic Keyboard.

How can you compare it to a magic keyboard in size?

Have a look:

Even the little magic keyboard is way bigger than the cramped toy keyboard of the 10.5". It is by no means a full size keyboard.

I would say the 10.5" due to its bigger size than the 9.7" is the worst iPad made yet at its time. That is because of no real benefits even though it is less portable.

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
What is this "best" obsession running through threads of late?

12.9 vs 10.5, the hardware IS the same, no faster, no better screen, no better processor, no better ram, no better storage options and with the same crappy iOS... it's the same! The "preference" people have to size is just that, a preference. not better. the workflows for better are few and far between.

Reactions: YaBoiD

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
How can you compare it to a magic keyboard in size?

Have a look:

Even the little magic keyboard is way bigger than the cramped toy keyboard of the 10.5". It is by no means a full size keyboard.

I would say the 10.5" due to its bigger size than the 9.7" is the worst iPad made yet at its time. That is because of no real benefits even though it is less portable.
I said "feels" not "looks". I'm able to type at the same speed on both.

Reactions: Max Your Macs

Max Your Macs

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2008
Daytona Beach, FL
Disagree there--I find the 10.5 Keyboard to be fantastic. Size wise, it feels close to my Magic Keyboard.

I have the Magic Keyboard right here with my 10.5 and holding it side-by-side with the software keyboard on the IPP, the keys are literally the same size. Yes, there are less of them (Tab, etc) but the QWERTY keys are basically the same target size, mayyyyybbeeee an extremely small difference. Either way, I type great on the software keyboard and it looks like the pull-down coming in iOS 11 will only make typing on this even better! I also have a first generation 12.9 with the ASK and even though it is nice, it does add some bulk and its sort of floppy to use when you don't need it. Makes a nice stand but a so-so keyboard. On that bigger screen, the larger software keyboard is all that much better too.

sacha_g88

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2017
I returned my 10.5 for the 12.9 and am happy i did. I am using it as my main computer though, which was the main factor in deciding to go bigger.

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
No wonder iPad sales are up this quarter - its all the 10.5 owners returning them for 12.9.
Double counting...

BigAppleNYC123

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2017
I just received the 10.5 iPad Pro today, and it's gorgeous. When first turning it on I said " this screen is amazing"; but I couldn't help thinking to myself - hey, if it looks great on this 10.5in screen, it's got to look even better on a 12.9 iPad Pro.

I recently sold my MBP to replace my iPad Pro 9.7 and 13" MBP combo with the new surface pro or iPad Pro. With the new iOS 11 changes, I can't help to think I'd be much happier video editing, photo editing and multitasking on the 12.9 in iPad Pro.

I think this new iPad Pro 12.9 with 512gb SSD and iOS 11 will be able to do what my gen 1 12.9 in iPad Pro wasn't able to do. I don't think the 10.5 in iPad Pro will work as my only mobile device or a laptop replacement.

If it is your primary machine you could return and get the 12.9. I would want bigger for my primary

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
No wonder iPad sales are up this quarter - its all the 10.5 owners returning them for 12.9.
Double counting...
LOL, yeah that probably could be the case :p

I just received the 10.5 iPad Pro today, and it's gorgeous. When first turning it on I said " this screen is amazing"; but I couldn't help thinking to myself - hey, if it looks great on this 10.5in screen, it's got to look even better on a 12.9 iPad Pro.
I know what you mean, I bought the 10.5 and when I was going to pick up at the apple store, I couldn't help but think at how small it looked compared to the 12.9. I held my tongue and continued the purchase. Fast forward to this week, and I finally decided that the 12.9 was what I wanted. Well now having the 12.9 for nearing a week, I can say that the larger iPad's strengths and weaknesses do not align with my usage. Yes the screen, is expansive, gorgous and provides a huge canvas to work, but the majority of my usage is holding the the iPad upright, and not flat on a desk, or my lap. Plus I do mostly content consumption (though I do have some content creation).

Bottom line, the positives of the 10.5 align with how I use the iPad and the 12.9's weaknesses (unwieldly large, particularly when holding it), worked against me.

Reactions: YaBoiD

BigAppleNYC123

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2017
LOL, yeah that probably could be the case :p

I know what you mean, I bought the 10.5 and when I was going to pick up at the apple store, I couldn't help but think at how small it looked compared to the 12.9. I held my tongue and continued the purchase. Fast forward to this week, and I finally decided that the 12.9 was what I wanted. Well now having the 12.9 for nearing a week, I can say that the larger iPad's strengths and weaknesses do not align with my usage. Yes the screen, is expansive, gorgous and provides a huge canvas to work, but the majority of my usage is holding the the iPad upright, and not flat on a desk, or my lap. Plus I do mostly content consumption (though I do have some content creation).

Bottom line, the positives of the 10.5 align with how I use the iPad and the 12.9's weaknesses (unwieldly large, particularly when holding it), worked against me.

I am holding my iPad in my lap now. It’s about a foot away from my eyes. I can’t imagine a bigger screen closer to my eyes? How is typing in portrait on the 12.9?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I am holding my iPad in my lap now. It’s about a foot away from my eyes. I can’t imagine a bigger screen closer to my eyes? How is typing in portrait on the 12.9?
Perhaps, because I'm a tall person, but when I have the iPad on my lap its at least 2 feet away, and while workable, I have poor eyesight and so having the iPad that far less comfortable visually speaking then when I hold it. What compounds the issue, is if I don't have my reading glasses with me, I then have to hold the iPad up closer, because my old eyes just can see the screen :)

As for typing in portrait mode, that's something I really hadn't done. I've been using the iPad in landscape mode, it seems more natural that way - at least the 12.9 feels that way.

BigAppleNYC123

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2017
Perhaps, because I'm a tall person, but when I have the iPad on my lap its at least 2 feet away, and while workable, I have poor eyesight and so having the iPad that far less comfortable visually speaking then when I hold it. What compounds the issue, is if I don't have my reading glasses with me, I then have to hold the iPad up closer, because my old eyes just can see the screen :)

As for typing in portrait mode, that's something I really hadn't done. I've been using the iPad in landscape mode, it seems more natural that way - at least the 12.9 feels that way.

I think it’s a vision thing. I am near sighted. And tall :)

mowpar

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2014
I had just bought a pro 12.9, found it to be too big for using just sitting here in my lazy boy. At the time I did not for some reason know they made a 10.5. I sold my 12.9 on eBay. For some reason they had trouble unlocking the device that was never locked (suspicious) even after my releasing it from find my iPad and everything else you can imagine with Apple tech help. Now it is coming back. Oh well!

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I had just bought a pro 12.9, found it to be too big for using just sitting here in my lazy boy. At the time I did not for some reason know they made a 10.5. I sold my 12.9 on eBay. For some reason they had trouble unlocking the device that was never locked (suspicious) even after my releasing it from find my iPad and everything else you can imagine with Apple tech help. Now it is coming back. Oh well!

I'd be curious to know if you get your iPad back. Those are often times scams. They get the refund and either don't return the iPad or they return an empty box. Let us know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.