Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you having second thoughts about your 10.5in iPad Pro?

• Total voters

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I'm surprised at the number of people who feel that the 12.9" iPad Pro is not mobile. I use mine all over the place. I am very comfortable reading in bed with it either propped up on my bent legs or just resting on my chest. It is totally mobile and very comfortable to use lying down or sitting in a couch.
For me, mobile means slip inside my purse and bring it everywhere. For the most part, I already use my 9.7" iPads when I'm out and about in situations that most people would use iPhones (bar taking pictures). In that regard, the Pro 12.9 isn't mobile for me.

Around the house use or bringing it to work everyday though, that's very easy for me. Pretty great during meetings when I can just bring up the PDFs on the iPad of documents I forgot to print out.

Broadus

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
Upstate SC
That's what I did. I basically flipped flopped a couple of times. In purchasing the 10.5 I wondered if I erred in my decision, as I compared the 12.9 vs. 10.5. I eventually exchanged it for the 12.9, but man alive that was just too big for how I use it. YMMV but for me, it was too big, so I went back to the 10.5 and I couldn't be happier

I did similarly. I tried a 10.5 and thought I wanted a 12.9, so I returned the 10.5 and bought the larger one. The 10.5 is a better fit for my usage, so I returned the 12.9 and bought another 10.5. I have an rMBP when I need larger.

blwade

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
@blwade

I’ve read a few other comments similar to yours. I can understand that, but my iPad Mini is pretty good at thumb rejection when I’m holding it so I’m sure Apple could make it work.

I guess I’ll find out for first-hand in a few weeks when I get one. :)

If Apple can put in palm rejection when using the Apple pencil, there is NO doubt in my mind that they could put similar rejection when holding the ipad on the sides...even if Apple removed the bezels entirely. No doubt At all.

Fair enough... I’d be on board if a palm rejection was put in place for holding it on the sides.

SweetLou122

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2011
I ended up picking up both with the intent of returning whichever did not work for me (The initial store I went to did not have the 12.9 in the config I wanted so I got the 10.5 first to see if it was enough.

The 10.5 is a great machine, and with the overall size and weight (Even with a case and smart keyboard) it is super portable. One handed portrait reading is easily manageable, and having never had a bespoke "tablet," something about the 10.5 size just feels right. Its when you pair the keyboard and split window applications that things become wanting. (I know the 11" macbook air was popular and for many people the size difference in a carry on bag/traveling/cramped working space is important)

The 12.9 is much more unwieldily when holding as a "tablet", especially if trying to read in portrait mode; but seated in landscape mode with 2 apps open, or reading in one window taking notes in another is much more manageable. The width seated with my feet propped up also makes for a better typing experience with the wider keyboard. The keyboard and width is just a little too narrow for me on the 10.5.

retrouk

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2017
I'm surprised at the number of people who feel that the 12.9" iPad Pro is not mobile. I use mine all over the place. I am very comfortable reading in bed with it either propped up on my bent legs or just resting on my chest. It is totally mobile and very comfortable to use lying down or sitting in a couch.
Hi Benito, nice to meet you. Totally agree with your comments. I received my new 12.9 iPad Pro yesterday and I absolutely love it apart from the speakers. Having previously had the 10.5 model and returned it I can confirm that I have no issues with portability etc as in my opinion they don't really exist. The 10.5 and the 12.9 inch model weigh more or less the same and with regards to portability you are effectively carrying around a 13 inch laptop equivalent. There must be a reason why demand is so high for the 12.9 inch model as compared with the 10.5 inch model and no stock immediately available. My 12.9 iPad Pro shipped directly from Apple's factory in China.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm one of those people, it was just too large imo, where as the 10.5 is perfectly sized imo :)

Reactions: Broadus

Diving Capers

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2017
imo 10.5 is too small to comfortable use, 12.9" iPP is only 677g, perfectly mobile imo

Exactly this.

I think that some people don't consider the 12.9 because when you look at it next to the 10.5 or 9.7 it just looks huge.

However after using it for 2 days (12.9) for me it is the perfect size. I would honestly find it very cramped going back to the smaller sizes full time.

At the end of the day it comes down to personal preference and how it will be used.

12.9 rules !

Reactions: Precursor

Broadus

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
Upstate SC
I think that some people don't consider the 12.9 because when you look at it next to the 10.5 or 9.7 it just looks huge.

However after using it for 2 days (12.9) for me it is the perfect size. I would honestly find it very cramped going back to the smaller sizes full time.

At the end of the day it comes down to personal preference and how it will be used.

That may be true to some people don't consider the 12.9 because it seems huge next to the smaller iPads. However, some of us have bought the 12.9, used it, and considered it too large for our tablet usage.

I wanted to like the 12.9, bought it, used it, and liked a couple of things about it, especially displaying PDFs. However, for most things, it was too large as a tablet for me, too unwieldy. Were I looking to replace my 15" MBP, I would probably have bought both the 12.9 and 10.5.

I agree completely with your statement: "At the end of the day it comes down to personal preference and how it will be used."

Diving Capers

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2017
That may be true to some people don't consider the 12.9 because it seems huge next to the smaller iPads. However, some of us have bought the 12.9, used it, and considered it too large for our tablet usage.

I wanted to like the 12.9, bought it, used it, and liked a couple of things about it, especially displaying PDFs. However, for most things, it was too large as a tablet for me, too unwieldy. Were I looking to replace my 15" MBP, I would probably have bought both the 12.9 and 10.5.

I agree completely with your statement: "At the end of the day it comes down to personal preference and how it will be used."

Exactly, all we can do here is share our experiences with any particular device.

Not everyone has to like the same thing.

For example, I don't like pork, my brother hates fish, my wife loves tofu (I'd rather eat the souls of my shoes). No one is wrong, we just have different taste .... well those who don't like bacon are very very wrong.

CrystalQuest76

Suspended
Dec 14, 2015
West Cost A Lot
The 12.9 is nice and big. For professional graphics producers that want to sketch, draw, paint, the larger screen is a plus that will pay for itself since the users are professionals. It is also great for consuming large videos while in bed with a spouse. However, it is big and bulky and does not do anything additional over the 10.9.
Saving money is not a crime and should be encouraged.

Reactions: Broadus

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
imo 10.5 is too small for comfortable use, 12.9" iPP is only 677g, perfectly mobile imo

It really depends on how you use it. If you use it primarily one handed or in portrait mode, the 10.5 is easier to use. It you use it primarily on a flat surface or in landscape mode, the 12.9 has advantages due to its screen size.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
It really depends on how you use it. If you use it primarily one handed or in portrait mode, the 10.5 is easier to use. It you use it primarily on a flat surface or in landscape mode, the 12.9 has advantages due to its screen size.
Think the ideal world is having both sizes. 10.5 is great portability and using in more situations than the 12.9 personally. I love my 12.9 and take it work but due to the size it can be abit too big but at home it’s perfect. I use it a lot and it’s amazing for watching programs/films

For ecample my signal for my sky TV is not working and sky need to send people out to sort the issue so I have been able to use my 12.9 to watch those things and sport. That couldn’t be done on the 10.5. Just too small to watch good TV on a regular basics.

Reactions: rui no onna

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
For a long time I felt the 12.9 was way too large but after trying it a lot in the store I ended up buying it instead of the 10.5 model. The 12.9 is often more like a handheld laptop screen when it comes to viewing things, like most websites are fine to use in desktop view. Landscape mode seems more useful with more resolution.

For me the main benefits of the larger model are in multitasking, watching videos, drawing and typing on the virtual keyboard. I decided to not get a physical keyboard and so far typing has actually been fine, almost as fast, you just look at the autocorrect suggestions instead of the end result.

I prop mine up on my leg or hold it like an easel. It's not too heavy to me.

That said, I'm not sure if I want to pull the device out to check maps when traveling as it feels less private but I had that issue with the Air 2 as well and prefer using a phone when in a crowd trying to figure which way to go.

Reactions: Precursor

Mephist0

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2014
Definitely I pick up 10.5 because of the balance between power and portability.
For a person who takes its iPad everyday to work, 10.5 is a no-brainer.

Reactions: Broadus and maflynn

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
I will buy the 10.5" soon and then return it for the 12.9" and then return that for a MacBook 13". I mean, how can I decide about a device in advance of buying it and using it? I mean. yes this is incredibly wasteful, but Apple has the money, right? Maybe I will send all the units back and try to buy refurbished!

lax28

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2014
New Jersey
I will buy the 10.5" soon and then return it for the 12.9" and then return that for a MacBook 13". I mean, how can I decide about a device in advance of buying it and using it? I mean. yes this is incredibly wasteful, but Apple has the money, right? Maybe I will send all the units back and try to buy refurbished!

You have 14 days to try, so if your not certain you should try and return of you need too. Plus it will just add to the refurbished stock online for others who have no issues buying that way from Apple, myself included.
[doublepost=1503841665][/doublepost]
i'M inching closer to getting the cellular 10.5 to go with my 12.9

crazy right?

Not at all.

That is my exact set-up. I have wanted an iPad with pencil like support for years, I am a classroom teacher and use several different apps for providing notes, doing examples and marking up worksheets projected onto a white board in class. In the past I used old tablet computer that bearly booted up just for windows journal, then purchased the very first surface...was good for that use, but it was not a good computer, and not a good tablet either. Anyway, when the 12.9 was released I purchased one on day 1....had there been a choice then I would have gotten the smaller of the two. 12.9 is great for full page writing, or used as laptop replacement. I can not use it to replace my laptop, even with ios11. So I still have and bring to work daily my MBP, and my 12.9....I can see why people say it is not as portable...after all size (not weight and thickness) it is bigger than both the MacBooks and 13" MBP.

I have since, purchased the 10.5 LTE model. It is much more portable and with LTE can take anywhere and not worry about getting good wifi. I have thought about parting with my 12.9, but the resale prices are so low and using the 10.5 to project in the classroom for writing is just not as big as full sheet of paper. So if you have any need then get both. Some people will think your crazy, others will totally get it, but either way as long as your ok and happy who cares.

Reactions: The Game 161

Starfia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2011
To me it seems pretty clear: the 12.9" Pro is biggest, and the 10.5" Pro is most holdable. They're both wonderful – just decide whether you care particularly whether it's a nice desk thing or a Star Trek PADD.

Works4Me

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2007
Canada
Well, I'm not quite the profile the OP was thinking about, but I recently moved from a 9.7 Pro to a 12.9, and, on balance, I much prefer the 12.9. Yes, it is less portable, but it's better for marking assignments (in Pdf Pro), and I enjoy reading web pages more while sitting at the table eating breakfast. It's definitely better with two apps open. I can still lay on the couch and read. For me, it's not a laptop replacement (and I never intended it to be), but I do enjoy it. Oh, and speaking of laptops, using the 12.9 with Duet as an extra screen with my 15 inch Macbook Pro is certainly better.

So, not perfect, but for me, the larger size is better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.