Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you having second thoughts about your 10.5in iPad Pro?

• Total voters

missbing

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2015
I just got the 12.9 this week and don't see the issue using it in bed or on the couch. I'm loving the huge screen. When I'm in bed I rest it against my thighs/knees with my knees up and on the couch, I either have my knees up or I have it resting on the arm of the chair or have it on my lap angled with the keyboard case. I can see it being an issue if you're trying to hold it the entire time though. When I'm walking around the house, I switch to my phone. I took it out last night to get a Pedicure and used it while sitting on my lap. I don't see ever going back to 9.7/10.5 unless I decided to get both.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
This was one of my reasons I went up. If I can't type as well on my 10.5 as I did on my 9.7, I might as well go to the max size.

This was my EXACT rationale when I went 6 to 6+ after a month, and never looked back

6s+ then 7+ (tried 7 but no go)

4.7" in current form wasnt comfortable so I figured I might as well reap the benefits of awkward

My SE is for one handed joy

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
This was my EXACT rationale when I went 6 to 6+ after a month, and never looked back

6s+ then 7+ (tried 7 but no go)

4.7" in current form wasnt comfortable so I figured I might as well reap the benefits of awkward

My SE is for one handed joy

I actually went from a 6 plus to a 7 and I actually prefer it lol. I would agree with your points with the iPad but the 12.9 isn't portable which is the deal breaker for me .

va1984

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2011
I am keeping the 12.9" second generation and selling my MacBook. The 10.5 is being returned unless I find someone who's willing to give me $500 for my 9.7" Pro 128GB in the next 10 days... :-/
[doublepost=1497645632][/doublepost]
I'm not surprised that the people who were using the 12.9" first gen Pro are not liking the switch down to a 10.5" Pro. It's still substantially smaller than the 12.9" model.

Yeah I mean unless you are ok with the smaller size, 10.5 isn't a 12.9 replacement

10.5 is more like 9.7 than 12.9, overall in experience

Yes, I find the whole debate a bit pointless. The 12.9 is a laptop replacement, whenever I have owned one it was instead of a MacBook. The 9.7/10.5 is a tablet, and as such I always need one of those around, even if I have the 12.9.

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
The more I think about it, the more 12.9 seems appealing and definitely more of a leap than 9.7 to 10.5 Imo

True Tone/ProMotion/P3 display is a triple punch from not having any of those

and 7 camera from a sub-6s one,

valinda

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA
I didn't really check out the 12.9, but I like to take my iPad to work sometimes, and I'm always using it on my bed
at night. I couldn't go any bigger than the 10.5. To me iPads are all about portability.

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

Mathias Denichi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
The more I think about it, the more 12.9 seems appealing and definitely more of a leap than 9.7 to 10.5 Imo

True Tone/ProMotion/P3 display is a triple punch from not having any of those

and 7 camera from a sub-6s one,
I really feel the 12.9 will take more advantage of iOS 11, the amazing color gamut and the slick refresh rate. It's what ultimately got me for return and switch.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Got the original 12.9 generation 1 iPad Pro, thought it was too big soon after, and returned it for the 9.7. This time around, really missing the larger screen for it's full potential, I jumped on the Bandwagon again.

Reactions: Ghost31

seadragon

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2009
I just got the new 12.9 after using a 9.7 for about a year. I'm not finding any issues so far with the size. Here I am relaxing with it propped up simply with my leg. I did the same thing with my 9.7.

i-CFpQTVF-L.jpg

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Coming from first gen 12.9 I found I cannot live with the 10.5. The compactness and handling ability is great for the 10.5 but videos, games and multitask will suffer to much with the 10.5 when one is use to the bigger size.

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
I "may" return it, but i wouldn't get the 12, its too big and offers nothing over the 10 for me.
12 is just a 10 but with more negatives.

Maukey

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
I just got the new 12.9 after using a 9.7 for about a year. I'm not finding any issues so far with the size. Here I am relaxing with it propped up simply with my leg. I did the same thing with my 9.7.

i-CFpQTVF-L.jpg
This has been my thoughts all along. I upgraded from the 9.7 Pro to the 2nd gen 12.9 Pro. I use it exactly the same as I did my 9.7 except with the added benefit of a bigger screen and better multitasking. I mostly prop it up on something when I'm sitting or laying same as I did with the 9.7. I rarely use my iPads one handed unless I'm walking around the house. In that scenario, the only difference is I hold the 12.9 by placing my hand underneath the iPad instead of gripping the side like I did with the 9.7. Unless I'm in portrait mode on the 12.9, then I still grip the side. At only a half a pound wait difference, I've had no issues.

seadragon

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2009
This has been my thoughts all along. I upgraded from the 9.7 Pro to the 2nd gen 12.9 Pro. I use it exactly the same as I did my 9.7 except with the added benefit of a bigger screen and better multitasking. I mostly prop it up on something when I'm sitting or laying same as I did with the 9.7. I rarely use my iPads one handed unless I'm walking around the house. In that scenario, the only difference is I hold the 12.9 by placing my hand underneath the iPad instead of gripping the side like I did with the 9.7. Unless I'm in portrait mode on the 12.9, then I still grip the side. At only a half a pound wait difference, I've had no issues.

My only gripe is they removed the ability to use split onscreen keyboard and even the ability to undock it and slide it up. The larger iPad is the one that really needs this feature. It would be like offering the iPhone reachability feature on the smaller iPhone only. It makes absolutely no sense to me at all.

Reactions: c14nhl

IPadNParadise

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2013

i-CFpQTVF-L.jpg
I'm embarrassed to ask this question but I'm still learning my 12.9. How do you use Landscape and only have this thread on your screen? When I rotate to Landscape, I get this thread on ¾ of the page and my safari bookmarks list on the left side.

seadragon

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2009
I'm embarrassed to ask this question but I'm still learning my 12.9. How do you use Landscape and only have this thread on your screen? When I rotate to Landscape, I get this thread on ¾ of the page and my safari bookmarks list on the left side.

Just tap the bookmark icon at the top left of the screen (to the right of the forward and backward arrows) This toggles on and off the bookmarks column.

Reactions: MyopicPaideia

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
wow thumb typing on the split keyboard really takes getting used to, but really cool actually as it frees up multitasking space as well...

Pretty neat!

By the way, having owned all sizes of the iPP, for me personally, nothing beats the 10.5" as the ultimate in sweet spot for productivity and portability. For me personally it boils down to a size comparison with the rMB. The 12.9" model is larger and heavier when paired with the ASK than an rMB. So what is the point again?

The 10.5" is smaller and lighter than the rMB and with its roomier ASK than the old 9.7" Pro is also still a very compelling productivity device.
[doublepost=1497813882][/doublepost]
Yeah I mean unless you are ok with the smaller size, 10.5 isn't a 12.9 replacement

10.5 is more like 9.7 than 12.9, overall in experience
Fully agree here, which is why I still stand by my disappointment (despite valid reasons for not doing so) that the 10.5" doesn't rock the same resolution as the 12.9" and the same ppi as the mini. Would have been absolutely perfect then, for me on a personal level. It would have been a mini Pro in a very literal sense then...no new resolution to adopt either...
[doublepost=1497814013][/doublepost]
I "may" return it, but i wouldn't get the 12, its too big and offers nothing over the 10 for me.
12 is just a 10 but with more negatives.
But really, you probably should go ahead and get the 12.9" as well, then you can have almost every single iPad model ever released in your sig ;)

Reactions: Jetcat3
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.