Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cfdlab

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
usb-c seems like a work in progress. I think it was mainly designed for phones (because thats where all the money is now) and has been hoisted onto laptops for no good reason (I am pointing to small size of the connector which will inevitably cause loose connection problem).

Reactions: No. 44

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"usb-c seems like a work in progress. I think it was mainly designed for phones (because thats where all the money is now) and has been hoisted onto laptops for no good reason (I am pointing to small size of the connector which will inevitably cause loose connection problem)."

Agreed.

USB-a form factor was a much more "robust" design. No need to change it, other than upgrade the speeds.

Three years ago, when it was first introduced on MacBook Pro's, the meme here was repeated over and over:
"USB-c is the future!"
Well, it didn't quite work out that way.

I haven't encountered a USB-c plug yet.
(although I will have to deal with one next spring when I buy a Canon EOS R camera...)

Reactions: Mendota

Queen6

macrumors G4
My 2015 rMB has this issue, making it a serious problem with any external drive. Currently looking to replace, equally it definitely wont be a Mac as Apple seemingly has premium confused with margin. I've a cheap sub $300 2in1 from the same period that's faired far better :mad:

FWIW no other notebook or device I've owned has had the same issue, nor suffered a KB that jams & sticks "Pro" my ass...

Q-6
[doublepost=1540659876][/doublepost]
"usb-c seems like a work in progress. I think it was mainly designed for phones (because thats where all the money is now) and has been hoisted onto laptops for no good reason (I am pointing to small size of the connector which will inevitably cause loose connection problem)."

Agreed.

USB-a form factor was a much more "robust" design. No need to change it, other than upgrade the speeds.

Three years ago, when it was first introduced on MacBook Pro's, the meme here was repeated over and over:
"USB-c is the future!"
Well, it didn't quite work out that way.

I haven't encountered a USB-c plug yet.
(although I will have to deal with one next spring when I buy a Canon EOS R camera...)

I early adopted USB C, equally I've never come across a professional use for it without the dongle in my bag, in numerous facilities globally. Net result no dongles, no Mac's used professionally with many others following.

Thing is when the hardware works against you, performance is as much as 40% down, choice is very simply being a factor of revenue...

Q-6

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
My 2016 MBP had issues with this where I would get frequent did not eject drive properly error messages when using a USB-C external drive.

2018’s appear to have a tighter connection?

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
My 2017 still seems to click but I'm not at all convinced that USB C is the way to go. First off, I figured phones by now would have the connector so there would be one less cable for me to carry round... nope. That and... third party USB C cables don't seem to grip very well. I do like USB C's capabilities - I use an eGPU and port replicators and what not... But I'm not at all a fan of the lack of grip when plugged in. When I'm using my laptop on my lap I usually don't have anything plugged in so I guess I don't have an issue with cables falling out.

Newfiejudd

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2010
I have the exact same issue on less then 2 week old MBP. Making an appointment to go see Apple tomorrow. I can handle all the issue with laptop. It's slowly driving me nuts.

Velin

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
This is a serious issue. Gruber had a recent post about preferring the Lightning connector's form precisely because it's more robust, compact, and easier to insert/remove versus USB-C.

Reactions: martyjmclean

cfdlab

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
Since the head is very small, its difficult to pull it holding the head. You need tiny fingers. Especially if two cables are attached.

Every time I pull it out, I feel like I am ripping it out. You get the feeling that it is not robust.

I get the feeling these things will not age well.

FrostyF

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2018
Western Canada
Since the head is very small, its difficult to pull it holding the head. You need tiny fingers. Especially if two cables are attached.

Every time I pull it out, I feel like I am ripping it out. You get the feeling that it is not robust.

I get the feeling these things will not age well.

Not if you grip it from top to bottom.

I agree that Lightning is a far better port. It’s too bad that Apple didn’t open license it to the world; it could have been the next USB-C.

Reactions: martyjmclean

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The "plug is too hard to get a grip on" issue could be solved by changing the -shape- of the plug itself so that there are a couple of "ridges" on the cable end that the thumb and index finger can grasp to evenly pull the plug from the port...

Last edited:

Newfiejudd

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2010
Apple ended up replacing my system because of it. The new one has way better USB C ports. Fan needs to be replaced, so I'm not overly excited about that.

littlefiresburn

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2018
All four of the USB-C ports on my MacBook Pro 2016 are loose.
No cables 'click' into place, like they do on other devices (including the actual power brick, which never comes undone).

This is a really frustrating issue, as I'll find my computer not charging, or hard drives will unsafely disconnect.

Apparently Apple have updated the USB-C ports on the 2017 MBP, so the USB-C cable holds in much better, or 'clicks' in.

I have seen many other users with this problem, and my friend's 2016 MBP ports are exactly the same (so not an individual issue with my machine).

Questions
  1. Do you have this problem? Which model do you have?
  2. Since Apple have updated this on the 2017 machine (apparently), is there any chance that I could argue for a repair or replacement if I can demonstrate a difference. It's clearly a design flaw.
  3. Have the 2016 logic board replacements been updated with the new 'clicky' USB-C ports, so if the logic board is replaced the USB-C ports would be updated?
  4. If Apple won't replace it, how easy is it to lobby them to launch a replacement programme like they did with the keyboard issue?
[doublepost=1544198729][/doublepost]Mine has been doing it too. Can’t figure out the pattern. 13’ touch bar.
[doublepost=1544198893][/doublepost]
I have the exact same issue on less then 2 week old MBP. Making an appointment to go see Apple tomorrow. I can handle all the issue with laptop. It's slowly driving me nuts.
Did you figure anything out?

timerickson

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2019
Yes, my 15" 2016 had the same issue. I don't have it now with the 2018.

Has anyone had the 2018 model long enough to establish it's actually improved hardware and not just the benefit of these being fresh off the assembly line? Do teardowns indicate a change in design around the port?

I've had this problem CONSISTENTLY with no less than 4 different rMBP 15's both 2016 and 2017 models. It develops after 6 months of daily use.

bolandross

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2017
I had the problem with the USB-C port on my 12" MacBook (2016). The charger cable sat loose in the port and gently touching it made it disconnect. Since it was still covered by Apple Care, I asked for a repair, but the technician checked the port and told me that it was corrosion, a mechanical issue and therefore I would have to pay the repair by myself (which was approx. €100), which I did.

Now, eight months later, the problem slowly returns. I didn't spill any fluids onto my MacBook, nor do I work in places with high humidity. It seems like there is a bad contact between the cable and the port, which leads to small "sparks" when connecting, which gets worse and worse, until the port looks dirty/burnt/corroded and stops working.

Additionally, I am regularly having keyboard problems, so my MacBook spends more time being repaired than actually being used for what I bought it for ... this is so daunting.

Reactions: Mendota

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
So my 2017 MBP is 10 months old now. USB C ports are continuing to get looser and looser. If I have the laptop plugged in while it is in my lap and I'm moving, the USB C power supply cable will fall out. That said, I've thought about it and had a recent issue where someone walked by, snagged the cable, and the cable fell out. I prefer this over having it too tight and taking the laptop with it. Kinda like the mag-safe connector.

I never have an external hard drive plugged in unless I'm at a desk, otherwise, that would be super annoying if I had to have a disk plugged in while on my lap.

I don't feel the need to fix it, but I could see how this would bother someone.

bolandross

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2017
So my 2017 MBP is 10 months old now. USB C ports are continuing to get looser and looser. If I have the laptop plugged in while it is in my lap and I'm moving, the USB C power supply cable will fall out.

I think that's still tolerable, as long as the connection stays intact when the plug is in the port. The problem I have is a bit different:

Reactions: BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I think that's still tolerable, as long as the connection stays intact when the plug is in the port. The problem I have is a bit different:

Oh wow... yeah that is different! Dang. Yep, even if pull out my cable a bit, the connection is still there (amazingly). This definitely doesn't happen to me. How interesting. That's bad. :(

Garage Battle

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2007
Orlando, FL
My 2016 ports have never felt insanely snug. I never use the laptop in my lap while plugged in, and never, not once have the cables been stressed by any connectivity. super baby gentle always.

I had a get together at my house recently and went to move a friends newer MacBook Pro (disconnect it from the charger). I was shocked at how snug his connections were compared to mine. I really had to try to get to get it to disconnect.

Pared3s

macrumors regular
May 14, 2010
My 2016 ports have never felt insanely snug. I never use the laptop in my lap while plugged in, and never, not once have the cables been stressed by any connectivity. super baby gentle always.

I had a get together at my house recently and went to move a friends newer MacBook Pro (disconnect it from the charger). I was shocked at how snug his connections were compared to mine. I really had to try to get to get it to disconnect.

Yes, just got a MacBook Pro and that’s what I noticed too. The cable fit is very tight. No doubt this thing will go flying if someone trips over the cord.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.