Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdomain

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2019
Has anyone had the 2018 model long enough to establish it's actually improved hardware and not just the benefit of these being fresh off the assembly line? Do teardowns indicate a change in design around the port?

I've had this problem CONSISTENTLY with no less than 4 different rMBP 15's both 2016 and 2017 models. It develops after 6 months of daily use.

I've got a 2018 MBP and 6 months in and my USBC ports are shot. So annoyed at this. Hard drives and soundcards constantly disconnecting. Most disappointing laptop I've bought now. Plus it's got a horrendous audio glitch with USB sound interfaces. I feel like throwing it in the bin.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
I've got a 2018 MBP and 6 months in and my USBC ports are shot. So annoyed at this. Hard drives and soundcards constantly disconnecting. Most disappointing laptop I've bought now. Plus it's got a horrendous audio glitch with USB sound interfaces. I feel like throwing it in the bin.

I have a 2016 and 2018. My 2016's USB-C ports started getting loose within a few weeks. It had a side benefit of making no magsafe a non-issue. ;)

So far my 2018 ports feel a lot more snug and I don't remember my 2016 ever feeling this snug.
[doublepost=1554264727][/doublepost]
I think that's still tolerable, as long as the connection stays intact when the plug is in the port. The problem I have is a bit different

That cable's probably damaged. :(

I've found that right angle USB-C adapters are helpful for reducing stress on the cable if you're using a MBP in your lap in such a way that you could regularly bump it. I also use a lapdesk with mine most of the time. The lapdesk wasn't a response to an issue. It's just what I've almost always done to get better ergonomics when using a laptop directly.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

booksbooks

Suspended
Aug 28, 2013
2017 MBP. The port I always plug the power adapter in seems a little loose. I noticed it stopped charging a few times. Will monitor...

rdomain

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2019
This whole issue is simply disappointing. Buy a top of the line laptop and the ports die within months. This never happened with the old usb ports. I haven't seen inside yet but I bet they're just mounted directly onto the pcb. Cheap and nasty for a 'premium' device.

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013
Apparently these ports are easily fixed... the USB-C ports are mounted on small daughter cards (not directly to the motherboard). They can swap them out in an Apple Store while you wait.

Reactions: jerryk and Queen6

rdomain

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2019
Apparently these ports are easily fixed... the USB-C ports are mounted on small daughter cards (not directly to the motherboard). They can swap them out in an Apple Store while you wait.

Oh I hope so. That'd be great. I contacted one of the official repair stores and they said a week turn around but I'll try contact an Apple Store and see what they say.

Cheers.

bolandross

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2017
That cable's probably damaged. :(

Unfortunately, it's the port which is damaged. I'm getting the same behavior with different cables.
[doublepost=1554542091][/doublepost]

I would like that fact if Apple wouldn't make me pay approx. €100 for every time they fix my USB-C port, telling me that the port has stopped working due to corrosion and saying that the whole thing is my fault.

rdomain

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2019
Unfortunately, it's the port which is damaged. I'm getting the same behavior with different cables.
[doublepost=1554542091][/doublepost]

I would like that fact if Apple wouldn't make me pay approx. €100 for every time they fix my USB-C port, telling me that the port has stopped working due to corrosion and saying that the whole thing is my fault.
[doublepost=1554544230][/doublepost]100 euro?!! That’s nuts. I read somewhere that the part is actually quite cheap and easy to replace?
As for corrosion... surely not unless it’s prone to moisture and salt.

The thing that irks me even with a warranty fix, Apple will just replace it with the same part so it’s just going to happen again until the warranty runs out and you have to pay them. Like the dodgy graphics chip dying on the 2011/2012 MBPs. Replaced under a replacement scheme due to a known fault but with the same part, laptop dies again a year or so later and they discontinue the replacement warranty because they know it will be ongoing.
Urgh.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
My opinion only:
Regardless of "the advantages" that USBc is supposed to offer, the design has unforeseen weaknesses.
The "loose connection port" issue is one of them.

Conversely, how many USB-a ports behaved like that?
They seemed to be much more "robust" over the course of day-to-day usage.

Porkchop Sandwich

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2017
I just had this issue resolved on a 2017 15” mbp. Cost me $800 + b/c Apple had to replace the logic board to make the repair. They also replaced the lower case along with the display b/c the display had a small spot on it so, it’s basically a new laptop now. I’d like to trade it for a 2018 13” b/c I just cannot warm up to the 15” form factor. Does MR’s have a market place?

/V\acpower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Weird answer : I think it's "by design" on the 2016 MBP.

Explanation :

I bought a 2016 13' nTB MBP the moment it was announced. From day one I noticed something very weird.

Both end of my charging cable are quite "loose" and easy to pull when I plug them in both of my USB C ports. And both end of my charging cable are super firm and snappy when plugged in my power brick.

However, my USB C - USB A adapter from Apple is very firm and snappy when plugged in my MacBook Pro. Both my video dongles (non Apple ones) are also firm when plugged in. Only my charging cable is loose and only when plugged in my MacBook Pro.

My thoughts on this was that it was a way of preventing the MBP to fall when someone trip on the charging cable. (since they had removed MagSafe).

Right now, 2 years and a half later, my charging cable is relatively looser when plugged on my MBP, and it's still pretty firm when plugged in the power brick (not as firm as before, but still very. I often lift the power brick by holding the cable). My USB C accessories are looser than before, but they still snap, more than the charging cable ever did. Actually my USB C/USB A apple adapter feel like it always did (and I may have used it 10 times in total), my USB C VGA adapter which I use very often is clearly looser than the other dongles.

So right now, yes there was probably some wear and tear on my MBP ports, but it appear to me that firmness is still mainly driven by the accessory/cable I plug in (and they also wear).

Could it be possible that for the 2016 models they designed the charging cable / MBP ports to be looser to "replace" the effect of lacking Magsafe, and realized that it was mostly annoying to have your charge cable disconnect and did not repeat that in the 2017-2018 models ?

rdomain

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2019
My opinion only:
Regardless of "the advantages" that USBc is supposed to offer, the design has unforeseen weaknesses.
The "loose connection port" issue is one of them.

Conversely, how many USB-a ports behaved like that?
They seemed to be much more "robust" over the course of day-to-day usage.

My thoughts exactly. I’ve basically never had an issue with USBa ports. My 2007 MacBook ones are still perfect! They look trashed from many years of use but they still work! If I had to choose, I’d honestly prefer a connection that’s slower yet works 100% than something super fast yet is prone to failure. Are other USBc ports on other brands/devices having the same issue or is it another design fault?

Reactions: Mendota and No. 44

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
My thoughts exactly. I’ve basically never had an issue with USBa ports. My 2007 MacBook ones are still perfect! They look trashed from many years of use but they still work! If I had to choose, I’d honestly prefer a connection that’s slower yet works 100% than something super fast yet is prone to failure. Are other USBc ports on other brands/devices having the same issue or is it another design fault?

I think Apple used poor quality connectors in 2016 and perhaps the 2017 (sold until mid 2018). The ones on my 2018 (august 2018) are almost too tight after 8 months of use. Insert is easy, but I worry about the amount of force needed to unplug them.

rdomain

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2019
That's odd because my 2018 MBP are sort of tight but even when they're inserted, there's vertical play which causes disconnection.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
That's odd because my 2018 MBP are sort of tight but even when they're inserted, there's vertical play which causes disconnection.

Is it all your cables? I have know some of my cables are looser than others.

I use my Apple power cable the most and that is the one that very tight. You definitely do not way to pull it out anywhere but the plastic end, never by the cord.

rdomain

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2019
Is it all your cables? I have know some of my cables are looser than others.

I use my Apple power cable the most and that is the one that very tight. You definitely do not way to pull it out anywhere but the plastic end, never by the cord.

Definitely not the cables. I was on the phone to support today and I used the power cable that came with it (so near new really and official Apple cable) and no luck. 3 out of the 4 ports are no good.

So crap for the top of the line MBP. I hope I've just got a bad one the repair fixes it for good. Fingers crossed. I'm planning on dropping it in for repair tomorrow.

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
The ports on my 2016 15” macboook pro all have a positive click at the last couple of mm when pushing in cables. I haven’t had any issues with cables falling out and I use multiple external usb C drives and devices daily.

Reactions: jerryk

satinsilverem2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2013
Richmond, VA
my 2016 MacBook Pro has had loose ports since the day I bought it in April of 2017. they still work fine but they are terribly loose feeling. im out of warranty so I don't think apple will fix it unless I pay for it which im not willing to do until the ports actually stop working. my other alternative is to see if I cant source the usb c boards from Ifixit and replace them myself.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Definitely not the cables. I was on the phone to support today and I used the power cable that came with it (so near new really and official Apple cable) and no luck. 3 out of the 4 ports are no good.

So crap for the top of the line MBP. I hope I've just got a bad one the repair fixes it for good. Fingers crossed. I'm planning on dropping it in for repair tomorrow.

I hope they can fix they can quickly. I read the USB C ports are in modules that are easily replaceable.

Last edited:

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
Just had the ports (as well as keyboard and logicboard) repaired on mine.

Now it's too tight! just kidding, but it's good knowing that my power cable wont fall out on it's own now. Now to see how long it lasts.

rdomain

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2019
Dropped it in and he said that it seemed very unusual so was thinking it could even be the logic board seeing virtually all my USB C ports are bad. Should have it back in a couple of days so I'm happy with that.

chekie

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2013
I suspect this issue has something to do with cheap USB C dongles or cables people are using.

Since USB C is still a new type of port, some peripheral manufacturers may not get it right and make the plug over sized.
Why does it seem like 2016 MacBooks are more susceptible? Maybe because more USB C peripherals were made wrong in early days.

See attach pic. The plug appears larger than the one made by Apple. I came across this photo when I got my MacBook and was looking for dongles. I immediately decided to go with the more expensive dongle made by apple and have never plugged in anything made by third parties.

It would be helpful if people having this issue report here what types of USB C peripherals they have been using.

Attachments

• Fvm-IOzL0nLk_F9E1t7Cs1AiBmls.JPG
    Fvm-IOzL0nLk_F9E1t7Cs1AiBmls.JPG
    354.7 KB · Views: 276
Reactions: jerryk
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.