Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bkends35

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2013
USA
Hello. I'm new here and I'm hoping you can help me. I got the ipad for Christmas. I synced to itunes, which put all my music on the ipad. Now, there's so little available space. I just want the music on my ancient ipod, not on the ipad but i don't know how to remove it to free up space. I'm so afraid I'll make a mistake somewhere. Thanks for your help.

In iTunes, select your iPad and go to the music tab at the top. Deselect sync all music then you can choose what you'd like to sync.

hammerbeck

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2014
Playing nested smartlist folders in Music App

In iTunes, I have some nested playlist folders (folders within folders) with smartlists within the subfolders. If I want to play the top-level folder in iTunes, it's no problem. I do it all the time. However, on my iPhone 5S, running 7.0.4, I can only seem to drill down into the subfolders. I cannot play the top-level folder like I can in iTunes.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a trick to it? Or is this just not possible?

Lizhonig

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2014
In iTunes, select your iPad and go to the music tab at the top. Deselect sync all music then you can choose what you'd like to sync.

Thanks so much for the reply. I hope I can explain my dilemma. I had a first generation iPad, which I had synced to an older computer. When I got this iPad for Christmas, I set it up with the new computer, after backing up everything I had on the old iPad. Now, I tried following your directions and got this warning, "The iPad 'Liz's iPad' is synced with another iTunes library on (older computer). Do you want to erase this iPad and sync with this iTunes library?" Eek. Do I want to do this? Will it erase everything on this iPad or only the music?

MinEderPlayz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2013
Hamburg, Germany
Thanks so much for the reply. I hope I can explain my dilemma. I had a first generation iPad, which I had synced to an older computer. When I got this iPad for Christmas, I set it up with the new computer, after backing up everything I had on the old iPad. Now, I tried following your directions and got this warning, "The iPad 'Liz's iPad' is synced with another iTunes library on (older computer). Do you want to erase this iPad and sync with this iTunes library?" Eek. Do I want to do this? Will it erase everything on this iPad or only the music?
You can also manually delete music in the respective app. I know this is painful especially if you have lots of music but it saves you the pain of deleting - yes, your whole iPad content. Alternatively, copy all the content from the older computer to the new one and import movies, apps, music, etc. to iTunes, then reconnect your iPad to the new computers library, all your stuff will be synced over again, but correctly.

paulsdenton

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2010
Barton, Vermont USA
Apps disappear in IOS 7-What's going on?

This morning I took my iPhone off its charger and went to work; on a break I wanted to check Facebook but it was gone!

It showed as installed but it was simply GONE!

I did a power-off reset and it was back, but not where it had been on my screen.

This is the second app that has just disappeared. The other was GMAIL.

Is this a bug or is the NSA stealing them??;)

Capex

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2010
Canada
I think i recall hearing that iOS would use the fastest connection available, even if you were connected to wifi and didn't want to use cellular. Is this true? I want to be using wifi when i have it, not wasting my data.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
I think i recall hearing that iOS would use the fastest connection available, even if you were connected to wifi and didn't want to use cellular. Is this true? I want to be using wifi when i have it, not wasting my data.

If you're on WiFi, it will use WiFi. It won't use your cellular network instead of WiFi just because it may be the faster connection.

testcard

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
Northumbria, UK
iOS will always connect to a "known network" automatically, in other words a network that you've connected to in the past, provided you have this option selected in Settings, and wifi is turned on. Ensure that "Ask to join Networks" is turned off.

14karat

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2014
Video upload to websites

How can I upload a (.mov, .mp4) video taken on an iPad running iOS 7 to a website?

14karat

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2014
Yes. But video uploads fail. It appears iOS 7 reports the video file size as zero.
Unsure if this is a javascript issue or what...

14karat

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2014
Hard to carry the PC in my pocket.
Worked with iOS 6.
Quit working with iOS 7.
Works with the Android running Kit Kat.

alexander2020

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2014
Seriously! Ask any question you think is dumb here, and I or someone else will hopefully answer your question. This should eliminate a lot of posts in this sub forum.

I hate typing on my iphone. I don't know if its my inability to type or something but my "A"s always get capitalized and the space bar doesn't always work making me erase it and retype. (I know this is more of a rant than a question but I just wanted to share in case someone else was having similar problems too).

PapaStu

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2011
Bay Area, CA
I've been getting an error/warning since I updated my Podcast app recently and it's driving me crazy.

Every time I open iTunes I get the following notification/error message.

iTunes Warning said:
You are signed in with a different Apple ID than previously used with Podcasts. Do you want to sync these podcast subscriptions and stations with “email address here”?
If you choose to sync then these podcasts and stations will be merged with any that have been syncing on other devices or computers. *Don't Sync* *Sync*

Now I've only EVER used one iTunes account, which is the same on my phone and computer and it's been the same email on that account since 2004 or 2005, before I ever downloaded any podcast of any kind. iTunes itself is 11.2.2 (3) and my podcast app is 2.1.2.

I have saved podcasts to the computer/phone so they won't delete (as it's a radio show that deletes them after a period of time). Not sure of what else is needed to determine why it keeps bringing up the warning.

Ideas to make the error go away?

rdefonseka

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2014
7.1.1 Battery woes

Since upgrading to 7.1.1 this week I've experienced my first real problem with battery drain. The usage and standby time is the same and the genius bar visit confirmed the battery is fine.

The 'genius' recommend that I reset the phone completely, don't even try to restore from backup.

What do others think of this advice here ?

I was going to wait for the 7.1.2 update that's coming hopefully next week. Would this give me a chance of fixing the problem ?

I read that the drain problem is caused by an app stuck in a loop. This seems plausible, but surprising that the update can't close any running app.

Thanks for any replies :)

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
Since upgrading to 7.1.1 this week I've experienced my first real problem with battery drain. The usage and standby time is the same and the genius bar visit confirmed the battery is fine.

The 'genius' recommend that I reset the phone completely, don't even try to restore from backup.

What do others think of this advice here ?

I was going to wait for the 7.1.2 update that's coming hopefully next week. Would this give me a chance of fixing the problem ?

I read that the drain problem is caused by an app stuck in a loop. This seems plausible, but surprising that the update can't close any running app.

Thanks for any replies :)
Screen shot your apps and folders for reference and back the screenshots up, expect a clean install to take a few hours because you're going to need to change all your settings and log back into applications. It took me about 3 hours total. I did a clean install of iOS 7.1.1 and I'm getting a full 10 hours of battery life while actively using it on my iPad Mini which is phenomenal. His advice is pretty solid.

rdefonseka

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2014
Screen shot your apps and folders for reference and back the screenshots up, expect a clean install to take a few hours because you're going to need to change all your settings and log back into applications. It took me about 3 hours total. I did a clean install of iOS 7.1.1 and I'm getting a full 10 hours of battery life while actively using it on my iPad Mini which is phenomenal. His advice is pretty solid.

Thank you. Can you please confirm what I should do?

I should ignore the backup?

Erase all content and settings and then set up a new phone ?

Thanks again for your help

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
Thank you. Can you please confirm what I should do?

I should ignore the backup?

Erase all content and settings and then set up a new phone ?

Thanks again for your help

This is basically what I did:

1. Backed up my device. Though you won't be needing to restore from backup it's always a good idea to create a backup just in case something goes wrong. 99% chance you won't be needing to use it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1766

Also I turned off findmyipad, for you that would be findmyiphone. Make sure your contacts are backed up somewhere because it would suck to lose those, I have mine synced with Google.

2. Go to Settings > General > Reset, then tap Erase All Content and Settings.

3. Go through the setup process, do not restore from the backup you made but be sure to sign into your iCloud account. Hopefully from here you can install the apps you need from the screenshots you've taken and go through your settings to configure everything to where you want it.

rdefonseka

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2014

Also I turned off findmyipad, for you that would be findmyiphone. Make sure your contacts are backed up somewhere because it would suck to lose those, I have mine synced with Google.

3. Go through the setup process, do not restore from the backup you made but be sure to sign into your iCloud account. Hopefully from here you can install the apps you need from the screenshots you've taken and go through your settings to configure everything to where you want it.

Thank you east85 that really helps me now. I've got everything possible synched to icloud already but i see your point about contacts.

Best regards to you east85

rdefonseka

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2014

1. Backed up my device. Though you won't be needing to restore from backup it's always a good idea to create a backup just in case something goes wrong. 99% chance you won't be needing to use it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1766

2. Go to Settings > General > Reset, then tap Erase All Content and Settings.

I've got another question, please. Apologies for taking over the thread.

After Erasing All Content and Settings, and logging in to iCloud, will my Camera Roll etc sync back ? (it's set to do that - and I've taken screenshots of some of my settings) The Camera roll is about 5G. I've also taken a local backup, but would prefer for the original photos to be associated to the 'Camera Roll'.

Should I disable backup to ICloud as well ? I'm doing that now and have taken backups to my Mac as well. I'd keep the ICloud backup disabled until everything is set up.

Thanks...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.