Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdefonseka

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2014
This is basically what I did:

1. Backed up my device. Though you won't be needing to restore from backup it's always a good idea to create a backup just in case something goes wrong. 99% chance you won't be needing to use it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1766

Also I turned off findmyipad, for you that would be findmyiphone. Make sure your contacts are backed up somewhere because it would suck to lose those, I have mine synced with Google.

2. Go to Settings > General > Reset, then tap Erase All Content and Settings.

3. Go through the setup process, do not restore from the backup you made but be sure to sign into your iCloud account. Hopefully from here you can install the apps you need from the screenshots you've taken and go through your settings to configure everything to where you want it.

Hi again,

After upgrading to 7.1.2 I did the above and am still seeing battery drain (and usage/standby times are the same)

Here are my steps, started early evening...
[1] backup up iphone - did both icloud and local
[2] backed up camera roll
[3] turned off Find my Iphone
[4] Settings > General > Reset, then tap Erase All Content and Settings
[5] set up as new iphone
[6] during the setup I logged into Icloud

i.e. stayed away from any backup.

I installed a few critical apps, synched back my photos and music via itunes.

I'm still seeing the battery drain even after leaving the phone charged overnight.

Is it worth redoing but not installing any app ? is there anything else I can do ?

Thanks in advance

:apple:

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
Hi again,

After upgrading to 7.1.2 I did the above and am still seeing battery drain (and usage/standby times are the same)

Here are my steps, started early evening...
[1] backup up iphone - did both icloud and local
[2] backed up camera roll
[3] turned off Find my Iphone
[4] Settings > General > Reset, then tap Erase All Content and Settings
[5] set up as new iphone
[6] during the setup I logged into Icloud

i.e. stayed away from any backup.

I installed a few critical apps, synched back my photos and music via itunes.

I'm still seeing the battery drain even after leaving the phone charged overnight.

Is it worth redoing but not installing any app ? is there anything else I can do ?

Thanks in advance

:apple:

No problem :)

Here are a few things I regularly do to save battery:

1. Only allow a few specific apps that I really use a lot to use background app refresh.

2. Disable LTE if I'm not using it.

3. Disable Bluetooth if I'm not using it.

4. Keep Notification Center permissions in check, removing apps from the list of I don't need notifications from them.

5. Turn on reduced motion in accessibility.

6. Disable auto brightness and adjust as needed via Control Center, usually the screen ends up being brighter than it needs to be.

7. Disable location services in Privacy unless I really need it. I've heard people mention that the Weather in notification center has a bug that drains battery a few times on these forums.

Doing an additional reset on network settings may help, as well as downloading any carrier updates that might appear when you connect your phone to iTunes.

If you find that you're still having troubles I would advise you to set up an appointment with the staff at the Apple Store again. A few users here have had luck getting replacements due to excessive battery drain after 7.1 released. You should emphasize that you have tried all of the above along with a clean install to fix the problem and that nothing has worked.

Last edited:

rdefonseka

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2014
No problem :)

Here are a few things I regularly do to save battery:

1. Only allow a few specific apps that I really use a lot to use background app refresh.

2. Disable LTE if I'm not using it.

3. Disable Bluetooth if I'm not using it.

4. Keep Notification Center permissions in check, removing apps from the list of I don't need notifications from them.

5. Turn on reduced motion in accessibility.

6. Disable auto brightness and adjust as needed via Control Center, usually the screen ends up being brighter than it needs to be.

7. Disable location services in Privacy unless I really need it. I've heard people mention that the Weather in notification center has a bug that drains battery a few times on these forums.

Doing an additional reset on network settings may help, as well as downloading any carrier updates that might appear when you connect your phone to iTunes.

If you find that you're still having troubles I would advise you to set up an appointment with the staff at the Apple Store again. A few users here have had luck getting replacements due to excessive battery drain after 7.1 released. You should emphasize that you have tried all of the above along with a clean install to fix the problem and that nothing has worked.

Thanks east85.

It's definitely puzzling, and I did all the tweaking with battery saving before I posted here and before I went to the Apple store the first time. (i.e disabled background app refresh, a lot of the system services, location for most apps).

I'm still noticing that the Usage and Standby times are the same :(

One thing I have seen as a possible fix is a DFU restore. How different is this to the reset ? Is this something that I should try ?

I found these notes...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5269891

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
Thanks east85.

It's definitely puzzling, and I did all the tweaking with battery saving before I posted here and before I went to the Apple store the first time. (i.e disabled background app refresh, a lot of the system services, location for most apps).

I'm still noticing that the Usage and Standby times are the same :(

One thing I have seen as a possible fix is a DFU restore. How different is this to the reset ? Is this something that I should try ?

I found these notes...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5269891

I'm not sure how it is different but if you're still having trouble it wouldn't hurt to give it a try. It basically throws your device into recovery mode and you can do a clean install from there. Maybe it rebuilds firmware settings or something that could possibly help. I used to do DFU mode for all my updates with iTunes and it never hurt any of my devices updating that way, so it's definitely not risky or anything.

As for the details in difference maybe someone who knows more than me can chime in.

rdefonseka

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2014
I'm not sure how it is different but if you're still having trouble it wouldn't hurt to give it a try. It basically throws your device into recovery mode and you can do a clean install from there. Maybe it rebuilds firmware settings or something that could possibly help. I used to do DFU mode for all my updates with iTunes and it never hurt any of my devices updating that way, so it's definitely not risky or anything.

As for the details in difference maybe someone who knows more than me can chime in.

That's reassuring to me - I'll try the DFU restore tonight. To be honest - after this last update to 7.1.1 I've lost a lot of confidence in the process for future updates :(

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
That's reassuring to me - I'll try the DFU restore tonight. To be honest - after this last update to 7.1.1 I've lost a lot of confidence in the process for future updates :(

Well 1.7.2 is already out so if you DFU and restore you'll be up another update. I totally get that sentiment though, I was really holding onto 7.0.6 until 7.1.1 because I'd heard of all the battery problems on 7.1, hoping they were fixed. It's a shame Apple messed this up for a lot of people. Battery life is definitely one of the most important aspects of a mobile device.

Anyways I did find this with some googling, not sure if it will help but you might want to read over this on dfu vs normal restore:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1653327/

If I had it my way Apple would still be signing older versions of iOS so we could downgrade at will like a few years ago.

rdefonseka

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2014
Well 1.7.2 is already out so if you DFU and restore you'll be up another update. I totally get that sentiment though, I was really holding onto 7.0.6 until 7.1.1 because I'd heard of all the battery problems on 7.1, hoping they were fixed. It's a shame Apple messed this up for a lot of people. Battery life is definitely one of the most important aspects of a mobile device.

Anyways I did find this with some googling, not sure if it will help but you might want to read over this on dfu vs normal restore:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1653327/

If I had it my way Apple would still be signing older versions of iOS so we could downgrade at will like a few years ago.

Hmm - OK i did a DFU restore (black screen on iphone, restore indication and 7.1.2 download on itunes) and the drain is still there :(

I installed minimal apps, switched off the usual battery drain settings (background refresh, no email, etc) and the drain % is still the same.

What other options are there other than to live with this now or begin a life of jailbreaking :(

I'd like to revert back to 7.1 (which worked fine in retrospect) to see if the problem goes away.

I'm confident I was in DFU mode when I did the restore (the phone screen was black).

This is pretty weird behaviour to me and the only option if I want to understand is to revert to pre 7.1.1.

:eek:

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
Probably a dumb question and it may have been asked already somewhere in these 32 pages. I used iTunes to download 3 movies but I can't find them in Videos and there are 2 tv shows there that I did not download. Where are my movies and where did these tv shows come from?

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
MMS messages keep failing to send since I updated to 7.1.2. I went to delete my settings and re-enter them, however I can't find the MMS settings field. I thought it was in this menu but it's not there?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 305

Powrie

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
I have a Stupid iOS 7 Question.

Did apple prematurely release 7.1.2 in response to the 7.1.1 Pangu Jailbreak.

Because alot of people seem to be having trouble with this update bricking their device during the Update.

RiddlaBronc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2013
Mcallen Tx
Is the new 7.1.2 version safe to download ota?
I dont have access to a laptop at the moment.
Been reading that it might cause some issues.

EdgardasB

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2014
Lithuania
I have noticed one thing- I have iPad air and 5S and on them there weren't any emails while friend with same devices had a lot of emails. He got "bricked", I haven't. Maybe when there are a lot of emails and this update tries to encrypt them and bamm brick

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I have a Stupid iOS 7 Question.

Did apple prematurely release 7.1.2 in response to the 7.1.1 Pangu Jailbreak.

Because alot of people seem to be having trouble with this update bricking their device during the Update.
Doesnt it still work with the jealbreak, in which case it certainly didn't do anything about it. Not to mention that the jailbreak was released just days before the update came out and the update was in the works and already being tested for some time well before that.

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Hmm - OK i did a DFU restore (black screen on iphone, restore indication and 7.1.2 download on itunes) and the drain is still there :(

I installed minimal apps, switched off the usual battery drain settings (background refresh, no email, etc) and the drain % is still the same.

What other options are there other than to live with this now or begin a life of jailbreaking :(

I'd like to revert back to 7.1 (which worked fine in retrospect) to see if the problem goes away.

I'm confident I was in DFU mode when I did the restore (the phone screen was black).

This is pretty weird behaviour to me and the only option if I want to understand is to revert to pre 7.1.1.

:eek:

Just out of curiosity have you got the setting ticked to send diagnostic & usage stats?

Powrie

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Doesnt it still work with the jealbreak, in which case it certainly didn't do anything about it. Not to mention that the jailbreak was released just days before the update came out and the update was in the works and already being tested for some time well before that.

Well one day Pangu came out for 7.1.1 and then the very next day apple came out with the 7.1.2 update and then the day after that Pangu updated so that it would work with 7.1.2

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Well one day Pangu came out for 7.1.1 and then the very next day apple came out with the 7.1.2 update and then the day after that Pangu updated so that it would work with 7.1.2
Right, which means there was no way for them to do anything about it since the jailbreak was released just a day before the update which was already all finished and ready to go before the jailbreak was released.

balcis

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2012
Nice thread, will my ipad 4's gaming (real racing 3) performance decrease if I update it to iOS 7 (from 6)?

Powrie

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Right, which means there was no way for them to do anything about it since the jailbreak was released just a day before the update which was already all finished and ready to go before the jailbreak was released.

That is not what it means. Apple was working on the 7.1.2 update at the same time that pangu was working on the jailbreak. Apple didn't do anything to stop the jailbreak from working other then deploy an update so they could keep their users in their ecosphere. Just by releasing the update they wanted to make the jailbreak outdated.

What iam saying is that it seems like apple put the update out before it was totally ready. Because it's causing a lot of devices to hang up on the update.

You seem to think that apple had the update all ready and they were waiting to release it when the jailbreak came out. But I think they were still working on it and they released it early in response to the new jailbreak prematurely.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
That is not what it means. Apple was working on the 7.1.2 update at the same time that pangu was working on the jailbreak. Apple didn't do anything to stop the jailbreak from working other then deploy an update so they could keep their users in their ecosphere. Just by releasing the update they wanted to make the jailbreak outdated.

What iam saying is that it seems like apple put the update out before it was totally ready. Because it's causing a lot of devices to hang up on the update.

You seem to think that apple had the update all ready and they were waiting to release it when the jailbreak came out. But I think they were still working on it and they released it early in response to the new jailbreak prematurely.
I'm not saying anything at all connected to the jailbreak. Apple released it when they deemed they wanted to release it I related to the jailbreak. Apple needs more than a day to have the servers and everything set up for a release, so this wouldn't have been in some response to the jailbreak. They had the update for a while testing it and had it in the hands of the carriers for testing a week if not more before the jailbreak was released. One wasn't connected with the other. That's what I'm saying.

Choctaw

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2008
My Mac mail program is adding a question mark !

Hope not to be putting this on the wrong place. When I type a certain word in my email program or even on this panel I get a question mark instead of the word. Only way to list the word here is with extra spacing or the ? mark come up instead of the word m a n. This has been occurring for months now. Any advise appreciated.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hope not to be putting this on the wrong place. When I type a certain word in my email program or even on this panel I get a question mark instead of the word. Only way to list the word here is with extra spacing or the ? mark come up instead of the word m a n. This has been occurring for months now. Any advise appreciated.
Have you tried resetting the dictionary in Settings > General > Reset?

Choctaw

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2008
Have you tried resetting the dictionary in Settings > General > Reset?

No did not need anymore advise. I have given myself the stupid award for all time. Have been using computers since 1984 but somehow never had use for the word MACRO. Today after searching the web for answers concerning the unwanted appearance of the ? mark when typing in the word man, my wife walked in and said, you foolish old man, somehow you have created a MACRO so just remove it. Boom, a light went off and I found my answer. System Preferences, Keyboard Panel, select Text and there it was listing the word man to be replaced with a question mark. Problem fixed. I really don't know how the MACRO was created by accident, but it was there. Life is good, but have my not so good feeling about Yosemite troubles that are being posted these days, I will keep my Maverick for now.

Last edited:

Morgan5000

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2015
I have a stupid question: I would like to access ,from my IPad Air 2, to all my picture on DROPBOX when I'm on Twitter. Like I do on my Samsung Galaxy S5

Or

Is it possible to create a folder from my photos album linked to Dropbox ( like on Samsung Galaxy S5)

Reactions: TRDmanAE86

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2015
New England
I have a stupid question: I would like to access ,from my IPad Air 2, to all my picture on DROPBOX when I'm on Twitter. Like I do on my Samsung Galaxy S5

Or

Is it possible to create a folder from my photos album linked to Dropbox ( like on Samsung Galaxy S5)

They cannot be put into your camera roll unless if you save them from Dropbox (takes up space because, you will have a photo on your android and on your iPad)

however, theoretically, Camera roll pictures from your samsung and, your iPad will be shared if they are in the correct format (iOS will not recognize so,e android formats). Thus, if you create a album in dropbox, your photos can be uploaded through Dropbox into Twitter!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.