Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alchemistmuffin

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2007
Speaking about games… Some more emulators were approved at Apple’s App Store.

Regarding this new Assassins Creed, if they have focused on stealth it could be quite fun.

Interesting how developers are getting more interested in the Mac platform since the rise of Apple Silicon, especially with the bump of the M3 GPU!
That’s nothing.

M4 on Mac will take gaming to next level.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Why?? Steam sucks. You dont actually own any of the video games you buy off steam.
you are renting them. Your digital rights to play any game bought on steam can be taken away at any time.
much like your entire music collection off iTunes. allowed to run thru the use of digital certificates

getting a physical disk for a video game for your PS5, PC, Xbox is always best.
Steam is great. You buy a game you get it for all Platforms….

Your argument also applies to AppStore as well.

Games have been delisted on Steam but existing customers can still access that game.

mielie

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2020
it’s not apples fault it’s not going to be on steam but i’m not spending that kind of money on a cross platform game to have it stuck on the appstore which, frankly, is an embarrassing storefront for games

steam is amazing and is probably the primary way most games are played on mac (edit that and maybe battle net altho they’ve also abandoned supporting apple hardware)

Steam is just another App Store, nothing more. I personally find it clunky on the Mac and I don’t like the idea that I can only play a game I have purchased by going via this client and having an internet connection.

Oh and it’s 2024, so how about an Apple Silicon native version of this ‘amazing’ app.

Think|Different

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2021
Steam is just another App Store, nothing more. I personally find it clunky on the Mac and I don’t like the idea that I can only play a game I have purchased by going via this client and having an internet connection.

Oh and it’s 2024, so how about an Apple Silicon native version of this ‘amazing’ app.
Exactly – they have no love for the Mac.

Reactions: fahlman

macintologist

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2004
Steam is a game store on Mac OS. In my opinion, steam would be the best place to purchase a game so it can be played on Mac… you are calling it a crab mentality but failed to understand the previous commenters statement.
So I would have to make a steam account

atoqir

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2018
It will be on Steam 2 years after release. Ubisoft has a longstanding deal with Epic Games that their games are 2 years on Ubisoft Connect and Epic Games only on PC.

Homy

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
Hooray, the one Mac game for 2024!

Actually 2,232 Mac games have been released only on Steam this year but if you mean AC Shadows is the only one you like you're right.

Skärmavbild 2024-05-14 kl. 17.55.44.png

Bill Av

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2006
Can anyone tell me what happened to my copy of Shadow Complex that I bought from the Mac App Store? It's not in my library anymore /s

toobravetosave

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2021

it’s absolutely not just another app store and i question your usage of the program to miss all the meaningful value add there.

good luck finding meaningful reviews of games on the mac app store

if you feel strongly about offline games then good old games is still vastly superior to the appstore and lets you take drm free copies with you

toobravetosave

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2021
Why?? Steam sucks. You dont actually own any of the video games you buy off steam.
you are renting them. Your digital rights to play any game bought on steam can be taken away at any time.
much like your entire music collection off iTunes. allowed to run thru the use of digital certificates

getting a physical disk for a video game for your PS5, PC, Xbox is always best.
you don’t own app store games either so im not sure why that matters here.

disc copies don’t mean anything if the game requires internet or day 1 updates to function.

The_Gream

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2020
Can we get a GamesAnywhere like feature. It shouldn’t matter where you buy your movies/music/games when they are a digital asset. What should matter is if the game (etc) we bought can be play on what ever system we own if it is available for that system.

Buy it once and enjoy.

Graphate

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2006
the new normal $70 for a video game. and it goes up from there.

gotta love inflation.
I agree it seems like a lot of money, but games have always been expensive. And even with inflation they’ve come down a little in price. I think games were about 50-60 USD throughout the 2000s which is nearly $100 in 2024 USD. So I suppose we’re saving 30 USD.

toobravetosave

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2021
I agree it seems like a lot of money, but games have always been expensive. And even with inflation they’ve come down a little in price. I think games were about 50-60 USD throughout the 2000s which is nearly $100 in 2024 USD. So I suppose we’re saving 30 USD.

the real problem is the bloated development costs plaguing aaa games

if people want to express approval at spending *hundreds of millions of dollars* on game development and marketing by buying increasingly expensive games that, for the most part frankly, continue to rehash last years games with better graphics (sorry to be reductive)

i imagine the indie scene will continue to thrive as aaa games stagnate in everything but texture pack sizes

Pinachina

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2003
MD, USA
Looking forward to this game mostly because it's on Mac, and eventually on iOS, I imagine. The theme of the game helps make it look really cool in my eyes too. Not a huge fan of the series otherwise.

• Love
Reactions: sebastianatol

Havoc035

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2021
Hmmm AppStore only. I wonder if this was part funded by Apple?
If it’s not I would be really surprised. The Mac still isn’t a good platform for gaming now and even if you’re releasing on macOS, the Mac App Store doesn’t really make sense.

That said, I’m very happy Apple is at least taking some action to bring real games to the Mac. Hope they increase their investments further and buy a studio or two.

Reactions: Stella

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Wait, we get a day one release?

Buying this to promote development for the Mac. Let’s show them with our dollars! Also because I’m a casual fan of this franchise, and have an M3 Max with 64GB that really hasn’t flexed it’s gaming muscle yet. IMMA CRANK IT

Reactions: TVreporter

.wojtek

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2014
too bad it’s not on steam

Yeah... I just checked and it's either Epic (yuck) or Apple AppStore (why in the name of everything holly would I buy it there?!)

Important info here >>> the more people that buy this, the greater chance more AAA titles start being ported over to Mac. I hope a lot of people buy this. If few people buy this, it just validates other developers reluctance to spend the time and money to port games over to Mac.

Well... publish it it more places like Steam and GOG maybe?

This crab mentality that everything should be on steam is hurting Mac gaming… how about celebrate and demand developers release more games on Mac OS first..
Steam is a game store on Mac OS. In my opinion, steam would be the best place to purchase a game so it can be played on Mac… you are calling it a crab mentality but failed to understand the previous commenters statement.

Exactly - I own multiple platforms and Steam (and GOG) gives me flexibility to choose where I want to play (or continue with cloud-save). In my case buying via AppStore is just beyond dumb as I would be stuck with a game on just one platform which to boot is gigantic walled garden…

alchemistmuffin

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2007
But that's more than enough for 99% of mac users, and also 99% of people only need 256 GB storage.
Yeah, 8GB ram isn’t going to cut it……

I miss the days when you can upgrade the memory. (Unfortunately just like storage, Apple decided to glue in the memory straight into the logic board to save space, also limitation of ARM in general where memory have to be unified for optimum performance)

timber

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
Lisbon
Stupid to not support Intel Mac's, the majority of the customer base still and will be when Apple goes back to x86 in a few years after the Taiwan fiasco
If Intel Macs were decent computers for gaming (the overwhelming majority is junk for that particular use) they would be supported.
The Mac is getting more support because its baseline is improving a lot since M1.

Reactions: fahlman
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.