Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Clix Pix said:
Why are you saying "these?" There is only one image to be seen here and, yes, it is a little different than the usual IR image which shows green or dark foliage as white and so on. In this image, look at the hand.... that is not the way a hand is normally going to appear in a standard B&W photo.

Oh sorry, should have been more specific. I followed the link ( http://www.irdigital.net/ ) posted earlier about IR images looking for an answer to my question, and yeah, they mention IR, but not an in depth explanation. I guess most people don't care about the boring details, but I just wanted to know. That's why I asked.
And yes, the hand image looks much different than usual, but in the examples in the link, I don't believe the effect of the IR is as obvious. I wish they had a regular BW and an IR image of the same scene posted side by side or something. :eek:

I'll just Google it later when I have more time. I asked the question when i was at Uni and couldn't spend time reading about it.

snap58

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2006
somewhere in kansas
Abstract said:
Sorry, but I just want to know how these are any different from regular BW images? I don't see the "infra-red" part of these images. Mind you, I've worked on infra-red imaging before, but it was (possibly) going to be used for medical purposes, so I do know what infra-red is. For those that don't, imagine "night vision goggles." They're great for imaging living things.

These seem "different" to those images. [/understatement] :confused:

Well IR used in photography is (I think) the near IR which starts around 680 or 700 nm. It is reflected by green foliage so it shows up white in IR photos, sky and water typically don't reflect IR and come out dark or even black, this is variable depending on the sun location in the sky, moisture, reflections in water, etc. The sky (I think) looks much darker than you would get in a normal BW Photo (unless you used a very dark red filter), and skin tends to come out ghosty looking, like the hand.

Attachments

• 46CRW_2893.jpg
    46CRW_2893.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 130
  • 46trdrm012_1.jpg
    46trdrm012_1.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 120

MacMosher

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2006
Canada
snap58 said:
Well IR used in photography is (I think) the near IR which starts around 680 or 700 nm. It is reflected by green foliage so it shows up white in IR photos, sky and water typically don't reflect IR and come out dark or even black, this is variable depending on the sun location in the sky, moisture, reflections in water, etc. The sky (I think) looks much darker than you would get in a normal BW Photo (unless you used a very dark red filter), and skin tends to come out ghosty looking, like the hand.
Wow I really like the first photo, especially with the reflection in the water/puddle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.