Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
My MacBook's battery seems to be swelling cause it’s lower lid is out of place, it’s no longer firmly closed!
Might a possible explosion be something to be worried about?

Attachments

• 2D9904DD-A2E4-4EE4-9756-07C62F1F2F78.jpeg
    2D9904DD-A2E4-4EE4-9756-07C62F1F2F78.jpeg
    128.8 KB · Views: 571

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
That definitely does not look good.
I can't explain how it's so out of shape if all the screws are in place.

EDIT: Actually is it the chassis that's twisted, not the base: the lid isn't shutting flush either...
Gonna be honest, that's scrap IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: zoran

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
I had one do that years ago. If I remember correctly the guy at the Apple Store said the replacement battery was covered because it was defective so they just charged me labor. Definitely take it in asap. Avoid using it but if you must don’t charge it without being in the room.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
where do you keep the MacBook?
hopefully in a nice well vented area in perfect temps.

I am typing this beaus I left a MacBook Air in a area of the house
that exceeded 80ºF and the battery swelled within day.
these batteries have humidity and enclosed areas without ventilation.

mlody

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
You can also perform the battery replacement yourself. Get a quality replacement battery from places like fixit or OWC. I have done the battery replacements on my MBA 13 2013 and MBP 13" 2015 and MBP 15" 2015 with very little effort. Apple I believe charges about $200 - perhaps more or less depending on a model and you will be without your machines for several days.

kingtj1971

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2021
Alton, IL
It's happening a lot now... Inflation has been high. :p

Seriously though? I've had this problem at least a dozen times now with various corporate laptops (HP, Dell, Apple, etc.) as well as once with one of my own. Lithium-Ion batteries swell up like this when they have an internal failure. Best to take it in ASAP for servicing. I've seen batteries swell up so much, they cracked the glass trackpad on the laptop!

It's also true they can catch fire and explode, though explosions are still pretty rare with them. Biggest thing is to stop charging it and let it discharge completely to render it as safe as possible. That and don't poke or rupture it!

Vincent1708

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2022
I have it with my 15" MBP early 2011. Been swollen for maybe 2 years or so.
Not used in a very long time, but doesn't seem to get worse (trackpad is damaged and not working). Still a bit of a worry though. I doubt Apple Store would do anything because of the age.
Only reason I still have it, because it contains quite some data I want to transfer once I have a new one (not really needing one since I have an iPad or can use PC at work). Was thinking about getting an Air, to get at least rid of this risky thing in my flat.

kingtj1971

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2021
Alton, IL
I have it with my 15" MBP early 2011. Been swollen for maybe 2 years or so.
Not used in a very long time, but doesn't seem to get worse (trackpad is damaged and not working). Still a bit of a worry though. I doubt Apple Store would do anything because of the age.
Only reason I still have it, because it contains quite some data I want to transfer once I have a new one (not really needing one since I have an iPad or can use PC at work). Was thinking about getting an Air, to get at least rid of this risky thing in my flat.

Apple might not service one that old any longer, but you can absolutely repair it with a fresh battery pack.

uller6

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
If the battery is swollen, don't use the Mac or leave it plugged in. Turn it off and replace the battery as soon as you can. I don't think Apple will fix 2011 machines any more, but you can get a replacement battery and tool kit on iFixit. I just replaced my swollen battery on my late 2013 MacBook Pro and it's like a new machine!

Scarboose

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2018
That can be a legitimate fire risk - I would want to get that out of my house much sooner than later

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Take it to your nearest Apple Store. If the battery keeps expanding you also run the risk of it breaking internal components.
Seeing it closer, it’s not the base that’s hot the problem… the keyboard seems like it has a bump from the swell. ☹️☹️☹️
Thank you all for the comments… I think I’ll just go kill my self now… what a disaster!!!

ElRojito

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2012
Batteries swell to reduce risk of fire. I could send a host of photos to this thread to show Macs that have completely disassembled themselves from swelling. It's not going to explode, but it's best to take it in. If it's a newish machine (newer than 5 years), Apple will charge you the cost of a battery and replace any components that were damaged from the swelling. At least that's how we did it when I worked there.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
My MacBook's battery seems to be swelling cause it’s lower lid is out of place, it’s no longer firmly closed!

When you start getting warping like that, it's time to get a battery replacement otherwise it'll continue to swell and potentially tear on the components. As it is right now it is a fire risk and I strongly recommend you get it into an Apple Store or repair shop ASAP

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I recommend that if you are waiting to get that battery replaced, that you remove the bottom cover, so you don't damage the top case more than it is now. Leave the bottom cover OFF until you decide what to do about replacing the battery. DON'T charge the battery while it is in this condition.
With a real event going on (swelling does not improve with time, it gets worse), you may be in a time-limited window, and you should choose to ignore your data-privacy concerns. Time to replace is now. Don't ship it somewhere, as it is now considered hazardous material (in my opinion) Take it to a local shop, or do the replacement yourself.

• Love

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I can see an "upwards bump" on the keyboard, can this be fixed? 😐

ElRojito

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2012
I recommend that if you are waiting to get that battery replaced, that you remove the bottom cover, so you don't damage the top case more than it is now. Leave the bottom cover OFF until you decide what to do about replacing the battery. DON'T charge the battery while it is in this condition.
With a real event going on (swelling does not improve with time, it gets worse), you may be in a time-limited window, and you should choose to ignore your data-privacy concerns. Time to replace is now. Don't ship it somewhere, as it is now considered hazardous material (in my opinion) Take it to a local shop, or do the replacement yourself.
I would disagree with this wholeheartedly. By removing the bottom cover you're exposing very fragile li-on cells to anything on the desk. Honestly, if it expands to that point, it'll push the screws out before it blows up. Removing the bottom-case creates more danger than leaving it on.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
I had a favorite old 17” mbp do that. I notice the trackpad wasn’t clicking right one day, and then the next day it wasn’t clicking at all. The day after that the whole thing bulged out & needed replacement. The tech was just glad I brought it in before it burst into flames. Don’t wait, peoples houses burn down all the time from old batteries. Someone above likes unnecessary risk, and is playing a wait and see game, but there’s only one thing to see, and that’s your house on fire. Not sure how you justify that, unless you just really hate your house.

Last edited:

blw777

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2022
The "pregnant battery syndrome." As many above said, get it replaced ASAP. It happens occasionally to lots of different laptops, phones, iPods, tables - of all sorts of brands. I had a MacBook Pro of similar vintage have the same problem as you had, and it had swollen up to the point that the track pad was not working correctly. I was in an out of the Apple store in about half an hour.

I've also had it happen to an iPhone 5s, and an iPod of one sort or another. The iPod battery eventually expanded to triple the thickness of the original iPod itself - we were on vacation and that's how I found it when I got back.

Friends and associates have occasionally had analogous problems all sorts of brands of similar gear.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Any odd bumps on the top case, such as within the keyboard, might return to normal after replacing the battery. Get that done ASAP. After that is done, then worry about those areas that might remain deformed. Expect it to be permanently damaged, so you can be surprised if everything goes back together without leaving visible damage, which is sometimes the result.

NewUsername

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2019
This happened to my 2010 MacBook Air after using it for about seven years. I once spilled water over it, damaging the keyboard and the USB ports, but the swelling only started two years after that. At that point I simply threw it away and got a new one, didn’t bother repairing it.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I'd put that outside or something until you can get it fixed. Lithium ion battery fires are horrifying.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
If I shut it down, not use it, never charge it, will there still be a risk of fire or something bad?

Jumpthesnark

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2022
California
Something similar happened to my 2015 MBP Retina so I took it into the Apple store. In addition to the effects of the swollen battery that I knew about (bottom case swelling), they also noted the battery was pushing the touchpad and keyboard up a bit. I knew a battery & replacement kit was about $100. Apple quoted me $200. I got it back less than a day later, with a new battery, top case and keyboard. Worth every penny and more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.