Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hg.wells

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2013
I’ve never been stopped at a flight when accompanied with my MacBook.
Yes, however this time you have an expanded battery. Security will likely see it going through the scanner.

A swollen battery would be seen as a flight risk on a flight and not allowed. It’s a fire risk.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
So what happens to the laptop? Do I loose it, by leaving it there?

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
And what about my data that’s stored in it?
They can’t just dispose it!!!

hg.wells

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2013
And what about my data that’s stored in it?
They can’t just dispose it!!!
You take that risk by trying to travel with it. If it’s seen as a flight risk you’re not taking it on a flight.

Here’s what the FAA says about damaged batteries:

Damaged or recalled batteries and battery-powered devices, which are likely to create sparks or generate a dangerous evolution of heat must not be carried aboard an aircraft (e.g. carry-on or checked baggage) unless the damaged or recalled battery has been removed, or otherwise made safe. The airline may offer further public guidance on transporting individual recalled products.

Reactions: zoran

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
No, I changed the original battery at a 3rd party repair shop, after it went down.
So, 51 posts in, you suddenly decide to tell us this somewhat crucial nugget of information, which nullifies ALL the previous well-intended advice given here to take it to an Apple store (even though, to be frank, it was obviously beyond economical repair with a twisted chassis, even before this revelation).
Eff knows what battery is in it, nor why it's basically destroyed your computer.
Quite rightly Apple won't go near it with a ten-foot pole, and nor would I.
But, go you. Troller of the year, my friend.
I'm almost impressed.

PS: your computer is f'ked, as per my original reply in post #2. End of.
[unwatches thread]

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: zoran and hg.wells

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
How was I supposed to know that Apple wouldn’t touch it, since the battery was a 3rd party brand!
Also I don’t understand why Apple wouldn’t replace the battery, I was willing to pay for it!

#Major I traveled 40km to go to the Apple store, to find out that they wouldn’t replace it, and that makes me a troll? 😐

Last edited:

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
Its a 13" early 2015 MacBook
OK, you are getting a lot of opinions in this thread from people who have never done a MacBook battery replacement. Having already successfully replaced a swollen battery on my 2015 13" MBP (which is a lot more difficult than yours) - this is what I would do:

1. Buy one of these, which is the brand I bought (check it is for the right model MacBook Air):

Or if you want to spend more for no real benefit:

2. Battery replacement in your MBA is dead simple, it is not even glued in. Only 5 steps! While wearing eye protection, carefully remove the existing battery following this (check this is for the right model):

3. See if the deformed case returns to normal after the swollen battery is removed. If so, put in the new battery.

Done.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: zoran

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
It’s a 13" early 2015 MacBook Retina but thanks 😉

Is placing a battery as difficult as removing a swollen one?

Last edited:

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
It’s a 13" early 2015 MacBook Retina but thanks 😉

Is placing a battery as difficult as removing a swollen one?
Ah ok, that is a lot more difficult than the Air, also batteries are more expensive. The most difficult part is removing the glued-in battery, and there is a high risk of breaking a cable or connector. Placing a battery is easier than removing it.
This would be a project for someone very comfortable with taking apart electronic devices and prepared to accept the risk of permanent damage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.