Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Danfango

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2022
London, UK
If I shut it down, not use it, never charge it, will there still be a risk of fire or something bad?

The key thing when you have a swollen battery is to keep as much energy out of it as possible. That means leave it dead, don’t charge it and try not to use it. That makes the job of whoever has to replace it somewhat less hazardous as well. Swollen batteries are a fire hazard despite some of the ridiculous comments in here. They only have a limited ability to deal with pressure and when they rupture, moisture gets in, reacts with the lithium and they catch fire. Also they are of increased risk of puncture when replacing them with the same outcome.

If this was an earlier model without the glued in batteries these are fairly safe to replace yourself. If it’s glued in, take it to a professional, preferably Apple.

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014
My MacBook's battery seems to be swelling cause it’s lower lid is out of place, it’s no longer firmly closed!
Might a possible explosion be something to be worried about?
MacBooks now vintage. Had to toss mine having tried to unsuccessfully to restore original OS.

Reactions: zoran

avkills

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
Take it to Apple, they fixed my 15" 2018 MBP for free. Just be aware that there is a 99% chance you will receive your computer back with all your data gone and the OS installed that it originally shipped with.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
I'm not sure why so many people with obviously good intentions are trying to reassure OP everything is going to be fine with just a battery replacement, and 'take it to an Apple store'. I think they've just read the three-word thread title 'battery is swelling' without actually looking at OP's photo. The base isn't twisted: the chassis is. The lid doesn't even shut properly.

Like I said in literally the first reply, that laptop is f**ked.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
If it’s glued in, take it to a professional, preferably Apple.
If I use the iFixit battery replacement guide, won’t it be safe to make the replacement? Will there still be a possible hazard when replacing?

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I'm not sure why so many people with obviously good intentions are trying to reassure OP everything is going to be fine with just a battery replacement, and 'take it to an Apple store'. I think they've just read the three-word thread title 'battery is swelling' without actually looking at OP's photo. The base isn't twisted: the chassis is. The lid doesn't even shut properly.

Like I said in literally the first reply, that laptop is f**ked.
The lid won’t shut, because the keyboard has raised, due to the battery swelling… that’s what I believe (I could be wrong) 😐

hg.wells

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2013
If I use the iFixit battery replacement guide, won’t it be safe to make the replacement? Will there still be a possible hazard when replacing?
There’s always going to be a risk, it’s already in a bad state. As you have also mentioned the keyboard is raised and won’t shut.

I wouldn’t attempt this yourself, take it to an Apple Store to get a full diagnostic. It could already be past that point though. Apple can diagnose and give you a quote.

AndyMacAndMic

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2017
Western Europe
So much that there is no salvation for it?
The only way to know for sure, is taking it to an expert (in this case an Apple store). Asking on this forum will provide some insight, but since nobody can take a closer look at your laptop, nobody can give a definitive answer. In the meantime the battery swelling in your laptop does not get any better, but worse. Time for action, not for talk.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
But guys… will the Apple store get on to fixing the keyboard’s curvature (or body’s, what ever that is)? Or might they just say it’s unfixable?
Should I take it to Apple or some third party servicer?

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
But guys… will the Apple store get on to fixing the keyboard’s curvature (or body’s, what ever that is)? Or might they just say it’s unfixable?

As far as I’m aware. The battery is glued to the top case. Meaning the top case assembly gets replaced with the battery. The assembly is the battery, top case, keyboard and trackpad.

You’ll find out if you take it to the Apple Store. Last I checked the diagnostic and quote are free. So, there’s no harm in checking.

If it costs too much. Get a battery fire bag. Remove the battery outdoors and put it in the bag. Then leave in the bag (outdoors) until you can properly dispose of it.

Then you can remove all electronics and try to straighten the frame. My preferred battery removal method is using dental floss instead of nasty chemicals. You can find videos with waxed thread but dental floss is sufficient.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I think no one here can give you a complete answer - but an Apple store, or another service shop that has some experience with battery changes, particularly on Apple products, should be your next step, unless you want to try replacing the battery yourself. Do something about that soon, it may already be too late

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
There’s no cost to have it examined at an Apple Store. What I think is “likely” to happen there, is they charge you $200-$250 for a battery replacement, and fix everything. If they want much over that, THEN come back here and we’ll explore other options. But if they can fix it for a reasonable cost, that’s your best bet. You lose absolutely nothing by getting a quote from them, and until you know what that is - the rest of this is just mental masturbation.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Apple Store will not change the battery simply because the battery was not one that came with the laptop 😐

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
So much that there is no salvation for it?
My 2015 MBP's case was deformed due to the battery swelling, and I replaced the battery myself and the case returned to normal.
YMMV. The only way to know is to give it a try. I suggest wear eye protection if you do.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
Replace it ASAP. Don’t wait until it catches fire, it can happen!
Unlikely, unless you pierce it with a sharp metal object and short the anode to the cathode. There are videos of people stabbing a Li-ion battery with a knife, which is a pretty ridiculous thing to do, but it created an internet myth. The gasses causing the swelling of the battery bladders are mainly CO2 and CO, which are not flammable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Patrice Brousseau

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
What is your MacBook model, size and year?
Its a 13" early 2015 MacBook

Is there a possibility that the battery explodes or catches fire (or anything else) if i take the laptop with me on a flight despite being shutdown and not used? Apple did say this might happen due to air pressure.

Last edited:

hg.wells

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2013
Its a 13" early 2015 MacBook

Is there a possibility that the battery explodes or catches fire (or anything else) if i take the laptop with me on a flight despite being shutdown and not used? Apple did say this might happen due to air pressure.
You wouldn’t be allowed to take it on a flight you’d be stopped at security and would have to leave it.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
Apple Store will not change the battery simply because the battery was not one that came with the laptop 😐
As much as I'm quick to slag-off Apple when I feel they deserve it, that seems a pretty legit stance by Apple to me. Maybe you bought this laptop used and you didn't know the battery had already been changed. I guess now you do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.