Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skids929

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
If you are trying to gauge your battery life, I definitely recommend downloading Coconut Battery. It can show you your power usage in Watts, updated every minute, in the menu bar. This gives you a much better sense of your battery usage than the remaining time estimate. In fact when you watch how easily the wattage usage changes (e.g. streaming a radio program increased my wattage use from around 5.6 to 8.8 watts), you begin to realize how hard it is to estimate remaining life.

I will say that after about four hours of testing, my battery life does seem to be better after the SMC reset. (I also turned off auto-brightness.) I am averaging about 10% an hour doing light-duty tasks at 50% brightness. I can go over 10 hours with just WiFi web-surfing and email. (I'm on a 15".)

This is what I am getting too, about 10% an hour light usage. I am on a 13 inch TB with the 2.9 8gb ram, for now until the custom spec I ordered comes next EFFING month!

ArchimeZix

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2014
Milky Way
The new Macbooks display have 500 nits brightness. It is a lot higher than the old versions. I think this should be considered when testing the new macbooks battery.

justinf77

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2003
I'm going to set up a fully automated battery test using macro software on OS X so I can see exactly how much battery life this thing ACTUALLY gets instead of relying on the time remaining estimate which is wildly inaccurate and misleading.

Apple rates the 13" MBP at 10 hours for wireless web browsing. I was thinking of loading up 5 tabs in Safari - each with a different site loaded - and refreshing one of those tabs every 20 seconds. Brightness at 50% the whole way through. I'll let it run until the computer dies and see how long the battery lasts. I already tested it out and the touch bar remains on the entire time, so that won't be factor skewing the automated results.

Any suggestions for modifying this test at all? I'm going to try to run it tomorrow if I can step away from the computer for that long.

m-a

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2014
Is there a difference in battery life between the i5 and the i7 Version of the non-TB MBP?

lobo1978

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2011
So I have been at 50% brightness and using mostly safari for the past 2 hours exactly and have only 64% battery left. Seems pretty weak still...better than before the SMC reset...

Not really sure what to do. The touch bar is great, but I rather have battery life. Part of me feels like a firmware upgrade will happen or software fix, but not really sure. We'll see...
[doublepost=1479593631][/doublepost]
Per Coconut Battery, The 13" w/TB has a design capacity of 4315mAh and mine shows a full charge capacity of 4472mAh.
Thanks so much. Now let's do the ,math': to get 10 hrs battery life Touchbar version has more theoretical headroom - it must average 432 mAh (400 mAh for noTouch version).
Obviously there is engineering behind design and theoretical capacity - I'm will not suspect battery-gate here.

But screen brightness will heavily affect power demand- this is one of the reasons apple decided to go wayyyy over industry standard with 500 nits screens (apart providing pro color replication - as for iPads Pro and iPhone plus).

Take away: when you are in bright room with screen brightness at 100% you will not get 10hrs - 7hrs is max. The same was with any previous MacBook Pro.

fodaveg

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2016
Valencia, Spain
Thanks so much. Now let's do the ,math': to get 10 hrs battery life Touchbar version has more theoretical headroom - it must average 432 mAh (400 mAh for noTouch version).
Obviously there is engineering behind design and theoretical capacity - I'm will not suspect battery-gate here.

But screen brightness will heavily affect power demand- this is one of the reasons apple decided to go wayyyy over industry standard with 500 nits screens (apart providing pro color replication - as for iPads Pro and iPhone plus).

Take away: when you are in bright room with screen brightness at 100% you will not get 10hrs - 7hrs is max. The same was with any previous MacBook Pro.
But the thing is mbp ntb achieve more hours without doing anything special. And battery specs on apple site are equal for both tb and non tb.

Edit: tb has less battery but the length estimation is the same. 10hours for both

lobo1978

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2011
But the thing is mbp ntb achieve more hours without doing anything special. And battery specs on apple site are equal for both tb and non tb.

Edit: tb has less battery but the length estimation is the same. 10hours for both
Marketing.

These two 'identical' laptop cases are housing two different computers (ifixit). It's easier to simplify laptop lineup as PC market is shrinking. For next 2-3 years apple will offer old MacBook Air 13 (11" is replaced by 12 MacBook), similar to non-retina MacBook (discontinued).

Just look at it from higher perspective and you will understand it. Apple is innovative and brave not only at engineering but marketing and focus. Value of brand is enough to do such transitions. Imagine Dell or Lenovo doing similar things - nobody will bother, they will just loose market share for other aggressive PC competitors (Asus, Samsung - if it is not exploding). Thats why they just upgrade specs and keep it in "gray box with screen". Only recent hardware designs like HP Spectre or Microsoft Surface could compete, but they will always have one problem - MS WINDOWS.

Take away:
- noTouchbar version is the new Retina MacBook Air - which is ultimate portable machine for 80% of users with time on battery +12 hrs.

- Touchbar version is the new Pro - after major overhaul.

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013
Marketing.

These two 'identical' laptop cases are housing two different computers (ifixit). It's easier to simplify laptop lineup as PC market is shrinking. For next 2-3 years apple will offer old MacBook Air 13 (11" is replaced by 12 MacBook), similar to non-retina MacBook (discontinued).

Just look at it from higher perspective and you will understand it. Apple is innovative and brave not only at engineering but marketing and focus. Value of brand is enough to do such transitions. Imagine Dell or Lenovo doing similar things - nobody will bother, they will just loose market share for other aggressive PC competitors (Asus, Samsung - if it is not exploding). Thats why they just upgrade specs and keep it in "gray box with screen". Only recent hardware designs like HP Spectre or Microsoft Surface could compete, but they will always have one problem - MS WINDOWS.

Take away:
- noTouchbar version is the new Retina MacBook Air - which is ultimate portable machine for 80% of users with time on battery +12 hrs.

- Touchbar version is the new Pro - after major overhaul.

Haha - unfortunately the "brave and innovative" marketing at Apple marketed the "new Retina MacBook Air" as a MacBook Pro.

They also marketed the whole lineup with 10 hours of battery life.

Reactions: DanJBS

lobo1978

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2011
Haha - unfortunately the "brave and innovative" marketing at Apple marketed the "new Retina MacBook Air" as a MacBook Pro.

Yup. It is still business and it is working very well :cool:

Take away: Apple Inc. is not UNICEF, it is corporation that must deliver in order to survive (to hire and pay people, boost economy, drive consumption etc.).
[doublepost=1479637008][/doublepost]
You don't want to differentiate within family of products. Now I'm sure both non and Touchbar version will deliver 10hrs. Non Touch will deliver +12hrs (as good old MacBook Air).

tjleonard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2013
This is what I am getting too, about 10% an hour light usage. I am on a 13 inch TB with the 2.9 8gb ram, for now until the custom spec I ordered comes next EFFING month!

Your math is flawed...I'm using this Mac 100% identical to my 2015 Pro and getting 3-4 hours less on battery.

Reactions: Nik

Queen6

macrumors G4
If you'd really like to be able to monitor this, install Coconut Battery, and configure it to show how much power in Watts is being used by the battery in the top menu bar. With the 13" TB model, you need to keep that to 5W and under if you want 10 hours of battery life. At 6W you'll get just over 8 hours, at 8W just over 6 hours, etc. This makes it really easy to correlate your usage patterns to power consumption.

I use Coconut Battery on my 2015 rMB for the same purpose; very easy to configure to display Watts being consumed, the rest is just math, as the battery capacity is a known value.

I can only describe my observations of my rMB and pre 2016 rMBP`s how I would best describe it is; although the newer notebook is far more efficient, teh "pool" of energy it can dip into is far less, therefore the impact of the users actions are far more significant. I have no doubt that the new 2016 MBP can reach the advertised battery runtime, however only if you strictly follow Apple`s specified usage, go outside this zone, the runtime will significantly diminish.

Q-6

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013
I'm going to set up a fully automated battery test using macro software on OS X so I can see exactly how much battery life this thing ACTUALLY gets instead of relying on the time remaining estimate which is wildly inaccurate and misleading.

Apple rates the 13" MBP at 10 hours for wireless web browsing. I was thinking of loading up 5 tabs in Safari - each with a different site loaded - and refreshing one of those tabs every 20 seconds. Brightness at 50% the whole way through. I'll let it run until the computer dies and see how long the battery lasts. I already tested it out and the touch bar remains on the entire time, so that won't be factor skewing the automated results.

Any suggestions for modifying this test at all? I'm going to try to run it tomorrow if I can step away from the computer for that long.
Sounds like an interesting idea... if you can share the macro I would be willing to try it as well.

I think two factors would be to try the test with different websites (will they use flash?) and maybe at a higher brightness... I believe Apple's 10 hour claim is with 75% brightness. Although I find 50-60% to be fine for a normal room.
[doublepost=1479658808][/doublepost]I noticed something very interesting this morning... after booting up, I was unable to get my wattage-usage below about 14watts. Even when I closed all the applications and left it alone for five minutes, the wattage usage stayed that high. I checked Activity Monitor and saw nothing using any significant energy, even under System Processes.

So I rebooted, and sure enough it is back down to 5-8watts. It makes me think there is some OS issue that is drawing power unnecessarily. The difference between 7 watts and 15 watts is the difference between 10 hours and 6 hours of battery life!
[doublepost=1479659174][/doublepost]
Hey, I just installed Coconut Battery and I'm wondering how to enable the widget on the menu bar (in the top right portion). Is there a way to do this on Sierra?
I had to open Preferences (in Coconut) and toggle the "Launch at Startup" switch to make it appear in the menu bar.

Also I modified what is shows to this:
%p% %r hours %ww

This shows battery percentage, estimated hours remaining, and wattage, e.g. "91% 16:57 hours 4.7w".

Battery percentage is always 5% less than what Sierra shows on the menu bar for some reason. Estimated time remaining seems to be based on current wattage, and varies much more than what Sierra uses, which I'm guessing is based on an average over some period of time.

Reactions: archimon

vince730

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2010
Consistently getting about 5-6 hours on the 13" TB with the battery monitor sometimes claiming only ~4 hours as an estimate when nearly full. How long are the indexing and other set-up processes supposed to take? Going on day 3 now, and a bit frustrated with the initial 40% drop in battery life compared to what I was getting on the 2015 model.

xoutrageousx

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2014
Incoming major n00b question.

how can I go about doing a SMC and PRAM reset, I googled it but it's on older models. Apparently it has changed.

I'm getting atrocious battery life on my MacBook 13" TB.

It's at 95% with an estimate of just 4 hours.

Karnicopia

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2015
I have the base 13" TB with 512 GB and I had about 7 hours yesterday. It was running time machine, spotlight, I loaded in a lot of pictures ~200 GB web browsing and music. The pictures were loading from a SD card reader that was being powered by the laptop so that may have caused drain. It's backing up the pictures now so I'm leaving it on power but I'll take it off power and see how it looks later with lighter things. I'll try the reset thing but I want to give it a few days to see how it goes. I want to get a good comparison of before and after.

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Sorry to say this but the drastically smaller battery is the reason why everyone is reporting worse battery life. The knee-jerk reaction is exactly the culprit. It was a dumb design decision by Apple. I don't see how the battery will equal last year's runtime. For the average user there will indeed be a decease despite $500 more.

Reactions: markusberger

McDaddio

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2014
Sorry to say this but the drastically smaller battery is the reason why everyone is reporting worse battery life. The knee-jerk reaction is exactly the culprit.e

No
The Culprit is to the huge difference between what apple said and the actual performance.

In every one of my purchases including phones, iPads, airs, MacBooks I have never seen such a huge delta.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Sorry to say this but the drastically smaller battery is the reason why everyone is reporting worse battery life. The knee-jerk reaction is exactly the culprit. It was a dumb design decision by Apple. I don't see how the battery will equal last year's runtime. For the average user there will indeed be a decease despite $500 more.

The 2016 will hit it`s battery runtime numbers as long as you stay within Apple`s usage parameters, however if you go outside of this zone, you will quickly find that the runtime rapidly diminishes. My own 2015 rMB is exactly the same needing to very much live within it`s power budget.

To me longer battery runtime is one of the primary factors for a portable PC, Apple have simply executed a retrograde step for the sole purpose of athletics. I have already switched my 13" class notebook to a Surface Book, irrespective of what new MBP brings to the table, it`s little more than paperweight once the battery is drained...

Q-6

Tuslareb

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2016
I will receive my 13inch TB this week, but having read this I will probably return it for a non-TB version. I never liked the look of the TB anyway. I'll probably only miss the touchID and the two extra ports on the right side.

badlydrawnboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2003
Sounds like an interesting idea... if you can share the macro I would be willing to try it as well.

I think two factors would be to try the test with different websites (will they use flash?) and maybe at a higher brightness... I believe Apple's 10 hour claim is with 75% brightness. Although I find 50-60% to be fine for a normal room.
[doublepost=1479658808][/doublepost]I noticed something very interesting this morning... after booting up, I was unable to get my wattage-usage below about 14watts. Even when I closed all the applications and left it alone for five minutes, the wattage usage stayed that high. I checked Activity Monitor and saw nothing using any significant energy, even under System Processes.

So I rebooted, and sure enough it is back down to 5-8watts. It makes me think there is some OS issue that is drawing power unnecessarily. The difference between 7 watts and 15 watts is the difference between 10 hours and 6 hours of battery life!

I agree that something is likely wrong in the software/firmware. Brief history of my situation (13" tMBP):
  • First 3 battery cycles I got 6-6.5 hours
  • Did SMC reset. 4th cycle seemed better. Originally predicted 10 hours on battery just after I unplugged. Ended up getting closer to 7-7.5. Note: the computer was sleeping for about 16 hours of that charge cycle, but given that Apple claims 30 days of standby time, having the computer in sleep mode should not substantially discharge the battery in 16 hours.
  • 5th cycle. Unplugged from charge and Apple showing 7:16 remaining. Coconut Battery is showing usage of 7.25-8.5 watts. I have Safari, Slack, Polymail, and Fantastical open. Safari is having energy impact of 3.3, all of the other apps are below that.
  • I quit all apps except for Safari, and it is still drawing between 6.5-7.25 watts. At that power consumption, the MBP would last 6.5 to just overt 7 hours—which is exactly what Apple's estimate suggests.
I will try another SMC reset, but it's possible that what I mentioned earlier may be the case: that a single SMC reset doesn't solve the problem, and we'll have to continue doing that until (and if possible) Apple issues a fix.

For those that did the SMC reset, has the improvement continued through to subsequent charge cycles?

titans1127

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2009
All this battery life stuff with the 13'' Touch Bar version has me wanting to go pick up a 15'' and cancel the current order I have.

alldat

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2008
If we ordered the first day that these were available, how long do we have to return?

badlydrawnboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2003
All this battery life stuff with the 13'' Touch Bar version has me wanting to go pick up a 15'' and cancel the current order I have.

People are having issues with the 15" as well, but they aren't as significant because it has a bigger battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.