Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skids929

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
However your 13 inch seemed to outperform all the battery life of the reviews out there... I read from the other forums and some people claimed that the 15 inch can reach 9 hours.... f*** my mind LOL wonder if there's an issue with the software or is there diff manufacturers for the battery...

lmao...You could be on to something..I am on my way to the Apple Store to return this 15 I have lots of questions for them I will try and report back..Not that they will tell me anything. I do notice an improvement in battery when the stupid keyboard backlight is off. Not much but slows the drain a smidge

Fancuku

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2015
PA, USA
Put here for all of us your battery life for surfing the web on MacRumors
From what i read, after indexing and all of that is done, the battery usage is like 11 hours for 15" and 12 hours for the 13"
11 hours for the 15" is impossible no matter what people on the internet claim.

javiergenesisx

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2013
lmao...You could be on to something..I am on my way to the Apple Store to return this 15 I have lots of questions for them I will try and report back..Not that they will tell me anything. I do notice an improvement in battery when the stupid keyboard backlight is off. Not much but slows the drain a smidge
I'm getting 3 hours of battery on a full charge with my MacBook pro 15 inch with touch bar i put a post just now about it with a picture. I love the laptop so far but i don't know whats wrong with the battery

badlydrawnboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2003

Let us know. I've considered calling AppleCare, but that's usually a waste of time.

I'm on my 4th charge of the tMBP 13". According to Battery Logger, I've been on battery for 53 minutes and have consumed 14% of the battery. If you extrapolate that out, it would be 371 minutes for this charge, or just over 6 hours... almost identical to what I've gotten for the past 3 charges.

No way around it: I get 6-6.5 hours with the tMBP 13".

Now, the question is how is this possible if some are getting 9 hours. Are there QC issues? If so, Apple is going to have a $#storm on their hands.

I don't think so, though. As I wrote elsewhere, given the differences in power requirements, CPU and battery size between the various laptops, and given the reports we're seeing in the forums, I think the following is what we should expect:
  • 13" tMBP: 6-7 hours
  • 15" tMBP: 7-8 hours
  • 13" MBP: 9-10 hours

Reactions: nitschi

badlydrawnboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2003
I'm on the phone with Apple Support and the rep is totally clueless. She seemed to hardly even be aware of the new MBPs, and didn't know how long the battery should last. When I told her I am getting 6-6.5 hours and Apple advertises 10 hours, she said that didn't sound right. She had me reboot into diagnostic mode, and that didn't reveal any issues. Then put me on hold to go off and talk to someone else about it. I waited 5 minutes and then hung up because I had to leave the house. Not encouraging.

UPDATE: a senior advisor called back and said exactly what I expected, which is that Apple advertises "up to 10 hours" for certain activities (she read what they have on the specs page), but doesn't guarantee 10 hours. She actually suggested I return it!

Last edited:

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
As I wrote elsewhere, given the differences in power requirements, CPU and battery size between the various laptops, and given the reports we're seeing in the forums, I think the following is what we should expect:
  • 13" tMBP: 6-7 hours
  • 15" tMBP: 7-8 hours
  • 13" MBP: 9-10 hours

That's pretty poor. Especially since the tech specs show up to 10 hours for each of those different configurations.

What would bother me is Apple's lack of transparency. Somewhere there's a huge disconnect between marketing, design and those calling the shots. I hope they're not inheriting Donald Trump's "truthful hyperbole".

How will the power consumption be on Kaby Lake? About the same? More efficient on video?
[doublepost=1479491552][/doublepost]
UPDATE: a senior advisor called back and said exactly what I expected, which is that Apple advertises "up to 10 hours" for certain activities (she read what they have on the specs page), but doesn't guarantee 10 hours. She actually suggested I return it!

Well - I'd ask if the actual battery life was closer to the tech specs or half the tech specs? If somebody decided to sacrifice battery life for weight/slimness - at least admit it.

Last edited:

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Just to add. There is no logical way the 13" with TB would get 10 hours considering they advertise that and the 13" without touchbar getting 10 hours. Just specs alone tell you that is impossible for them to have the same battery life. Someone earlier mentioned they thought the 13" with TB was an afterthought based on the internal design. That the TB was really suppose to only be for the 15" and they later decided to add it to the 13". That seems to make sense based not only on the internal design of the 13" but also the battery life claims. It is almost like they just threw that number out there so people would not jump right to the 13" no TB.

How many people who got the TB version would have got the no TB version if they said up to 8 hours at the keynote and 11 for the no TB.

javiergenesisx

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2013
Just to add. There is no logical way the 13" with TB would get 10 hours considering they advertise that and the 13" without touchbar getting 10 hours. Just specs alone tell you that is impossible for them to have the same battery life. Someone earlier mentioned they thought the 13" with TB was an afterthought based on the internal design. That the TB was really suppose to only be for the 15" and they later decided to add it to the 13". That seems to make sense based not only on the internal design of the 13" but also the battery life claims. It is almost like they just threw that number out there so people would not jump right to the 13" no TB.

How many people who got the TB version would have got the no TB version if they said up to 8 hours at the keynote and 11 for the no TB.
hi i guys so i had a tread earlier i was having battery problems , i did a smc reset and it seems to have solved my battery problem now this is what i was getting before i did the smc reset and now the battery is way better

Attachments

• IMG_4761.JPG.jpeg
    IMG_4761.JPG.jpeg
    637.7 KB · Views: 400
  • IMG_4762.JPG.jpeg
    IMG_4762.JPG.jpeg
    723 KB · Views: 427
  • IMG_4767.JPG.jpeg
    IMG_4767.JPG.jpeg
    678.4 KB · Views: 377

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
hi i guys so i had a tread earlier i was having battery problems , i did a smc reset and it seems to have solved my battery problem now this is what i was getting before i did the smc reset and now the battery is way better

I don't really think the battery "estimates" matter one single bit. use the device and see how many hours you actually get. People are not complaining about the stats, but more the real world battery life they are getting. It looks like 6 hours is the average for the 13" and 7 for the 15"

Reactions: m-a

javiergenesisx

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2013
I don't really think the battery "estimates" matter one single bit. use the device and see how many hours you actually get. People are not complaining about the stats, but more the real world battery life they are getting. It looks like 6 hours is. the average for the 13" and 7 for the 15"
yea i know i was saying just in case if anyone else was having a similar problem to me i was just getting 3 hours now i can tell it will last way longer as it still at 100% compare to the 93% or wathever it would have been before , just triying to let others know if they have this specific problem but yea ill keep an eye out to see if i actually get 10 hours.

lobo1978

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2011
I'm testing 13 no Touchbar version (first day) - battery is similar (slightly less) than my current MacBook pro. Maybe I'm rushing with conclusions but there is no way 13" Touchbar version will reach 10 hrs - when no Touch is on par with 2015 MacBook Pro.

I could hear lawyers typing (with the new noisy MacBook keyboards of course) papers for class action suit...

I am not cancelling order of 13" Touchbar version just now, just to compare with no Touchbar version and test it in my typical workday.

If it fails in battery life, I'm definitely skipping this year model and wait for early 2017 version (very early 2017 - trust me).

I'm very objective and not following crowd in terms of buying choice but this time Apple screwed up big time. For 50g they sacrifice mobility.

javiergenesisx

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2013
I'm testing 13 no Touchbar version (first day) - battery is similar (slightly less) than my current MacBook pro. Maybe I'm rushing with conclusions but there is no way 13" Touchbar version will reach 10 hrs - when no Touch is on par with 2015 MacBook Pro.

I could hear lawyers typing (with the new noisy MacBook keyboards of course) papers for class action suit...

I am not cancelling order of 13" Touchbar version just now, just to compare with no Touchbar version and test it in my typical workday.

If it fails in battery life, I'm definitely skipping this year model and wait for early 2017 version (very early 2017 - trust me).

I'm very objective and not following crowd in terms of buying choice but this time Apple screwed up big time. For 50g they sacrifice mobility.
my battery still holding out great from the last time i posted it seems , i would suggest everyone that has there MacBook pro to at least do smc reset once it might solve the problem

Attachments

• IMG_4771.JPG.jpeg
    IMG_4771.JPG.jpeg
    552.9 KB · Views: 254

badlydrawnboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2003
Well, guess what? I got an email from the senior Apple adviser I spoke with, and she said that they are aware that the new MBPs have battery issues:

Hello Chris,
I was able to do a little more research on your issue. There seems to be an issue with the battery life on these MacBook Pro.
I wanted to know if you have the time later today lets capture some information about your MacBook Pro for our Engineers to investigate the issue.
Hope to hear from you soon!

I will call her later and report back.

Seems like Apple may have a major issue on their hands.

knudsen2

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2015
Sorry, but that sounds fantastic. That Apple could realize that batteries should be easy to replace.

lobo1978

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2011
Analysis of last charge. Real life (light) usage. Rough math: 9:30-10 hrs

Touch version will not match it

Attachments

• Activity Monitor (Applications in last 8 hours) Activity Monitor, Today at 20.29.16.png
    Activity Monitor (Applications in last 8 hours) Activity Monitor, Today at 20.29.16.png
    47.8 KB · Views: 1,016

pshifrin

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
13 3.3/16/512 checking in. This is the first day I've been at a remote office and purposely on battery all day.

Laptop was fully charged when I left the office last night and sat sleeping in my bag all night. By morning, it was down to 93% (powernap is off).

It's now 2:39pm and have been working on and off for about 5 hours. Very light work in email and web based crm, mostly safari and a few minutes of remote access. Down to 29% and 1:49 remaining. Brightness about 60%.

Activity monitor battery data is not valid because I had to reboot. Laptop crashed one time waking from sleep and using touch id to login. Also, the touch bar was being funky before the reboot. There was a phantom icon for media playing when there was nothing open in safari (i completely quit out of safari, then the icon was gone but there was a blank placeholder for it)

Definitely not feeling comfortable about a full work day with this thing.

badlydrawnboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2003
my battery still holding out great from the last time i posted it seems , i would suggest everyone that has there MacBook pro to at least do smc reset once it might solve the problem

How did you do an SMC reset? The instructions on Apple's site involve the power button, and there isn't one on these new MBPs.

Reactions: Stoffel_KT

Impatientmac

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2016

Expecting an early 2017 model seems very hopeful you realize we're in 2016 right? At best I expect them to release an update next October

I'm going to try the smc reset at 100% its giving me 5-6 hr right now. so we'll see if it helps

Edit* It didn't help, I'm not sure if I did it right, but Im still at 5 hrs with 99% battery. Maybe it'll improve but this is pretty upsetting I'd be ok with a solid 8 but its not even getting 6 right now.

Last edited:

justinf77

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2003
Well, guess what? I got an email from the senior Apple adviser I spoke with, and she said that they are aware that the new MBPs have battery issues:

I will call her later and report back.

Seems like Apple may have a major issue on their hands.

On every single thread on here and reddit talking about the 13" TB MBP, someone mentions their bad experience with battery life. I really hope they address it officially. I'm OK with the battery life I'm getting on mine, averaging out to about 7-8 hours with my typical workload, but it's a definite step down from my MBA.

Thanks for keeping us updated. Still undecided right now about which model I want to keep, the non-TB or TB, because the non-TB version I bought is $700 less and the only thing I'm really going to miss is the touch bar and Touch ID (I don't care about the extra ports or the slightly performance difference). I'd also be getting about a 25% boost in battery life with the non-TB version.

Unfortunately I feel like I have to make a compromise this year no matter which model I choose. The non-TB one is missing flagship features, the 13" TB has ****** battery life, and the 15" version is just too big for me.

justinf77

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2003
The battery time remaining indicator is really horribly off for some reason on these MBPs. I've seen anywhere from 20 hours left to 4 hours left when near 100%. Very difficult to get an accurate sense of battery life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.