Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Branskins

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
What battery issues? :p

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-12-18 at 9.07.40 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-12-18 at 9.07.40 AM.png
    25.5 KB · Views: 431

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2009
I think the big issue is why the wattages spike on certain tasks (and why the wattages don't seem to come down after spikes). Certain sites (e.g. Google Maps, or even Youtube, or even some normal looking web pages with Flash ads) seem to double, sometimes triple the wattages -- and then the wattages stay high. I often have to put my computer to sleep then wake it back up in order to 'reset' the power usage to a low level.

All the software (OS, applications, plugins) can be improved to adapt to the new hardware (in this case CPU) and the different power states. Hopefully, better software will come over the next 3-12 months. I already eliminated Flash from my laptops since 2015.

Reactions: roland.schemers

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
What battery issues? :p

You need to log your actual usage cause seeing that 20 hours isn't going to happen if you surf the internet. For heck of it, try downloading battery logger and coconut battery. Battery logger will log how many hours you get every time you disconnect and reconnect your power adapter to your MacBook Pro. Then with coconut battery you can run the menu bar stats to indicate how many watts your computer is currently burning.

DB4AW

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2016
Since the latest MacOS update, there have been fewer posts here complaining about bad battery life. Thus, it would appear that many battery related issues were somehow addressed by the update. Happy Days!

Last edited:

ibizarocks

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2007
Since the latest MacOS update, there have been fewer posts here complaining about bad battery life. Thus, it would appear that many battery related issues were somehow addressed by the update. Happy Days!

I don't think they were 'addressed', it's just gone from being abysmal to ok.

I have a 13" TB 10.2.2 and I get MAX 6hrs usage but on average it's 5. Keyboard lights off, display at 70%, g-drive paused, screen off after 1min no usage and not over tabbing on chrome/safari.

I also have a new problem since the update, the battery discharging 5-9% on sleep.

Reactions: mahcus36

Leaf.

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2016

I have a 13" TB 10.2.2 and I get MAX 6hrs usage but on average it's 5. Keyboard lights off, display at 70%, g-drive paused, screen off after 1min no usage and not over tabbing on chrome/safari.

I also have a new problem since the update, the battery discharging 5-9% on sleep.
Wow everything with this post is the same for me.. on average 4-5 hours

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
For what its worth, I did a test trying to emulate Apple's documented test scenario.

2016 13" Macbook Pro, non-touchbar. 16GB RAM.
Wifi turned off, Bluetooth off, keyboard backlight off, display brightness up 12 presses or 75%, volume almost off.

Copied an mp4 1080p video locally. Played in quicktime in loop.

From reported full charge to power off was 9 hours 20 minutes.

Not the 10 hours reported by Apple but pretty close. Some theories for why its lower:
- The Mac by default reports the battery as 100% charged even when its really as low as 95% real charge. I didn't know what the real charge was via Coconut battery.
- I only have 14 cycles on this battery yet CoconutBattery is already reporting battery capacity has degraded from 108% the first 2 cycles down to 97% now.

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2009
Cycle #5

Can report that my battery is in great shape. 95% capacity after 1 hour of safari use with some email / preview as well. No other apps (MS Office, etc). No video.

Activity monitor estimates I still have 9:30h remaining. But we know these estimates are usually not reliable.

Battery Health 2 shows 4.7-5.9 Watts and 320-475mAh of power usage as I'm typing this post.

Henkna

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2013
Hahaha, ❤️ this battery time

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2016-12-19 om 22.47.30.png
    Schermafbeelding 2016-12-19 om 22.47.30.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 290

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
I'd recommend people install Coconut battery and have the menu bar status turned on. Then have it set to display the amount Watts your computer is currently burning. If you can maintain it at 9.5watts or below you should get the 10 hour mark.

rwaggoner

Suspended
Dec 15, 2016
I am having no issues at all with the 15-inch machine I just got today. It has been on battery for three hours and shows 75 percent and estimates 8 hours remaining.

Frankly, this is a dream compared to my 2011 MBP that only gets 4 if I am lucky.

titleistman18

macrumors member
May 20, 2016

I'm at the same. 5-6 hours of light usage.

rwaggoner

Suspended
Dec 15, 2016
Got coconut battery. It is showing 7 hours remaining on the machine just received today. I have been on battery for 4 hours, so that's just amazingly great, well over 10 hours. Sorry for those with poor battery life.

DB4AW

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2016
I'm at the same. 5-6 hours of light usage.
You may have gotten a lemon (one with defective battery) that was in an earlier batch of MBPs. Apple may have since quietly and internally corrected the bad battery hardware issue. Hence, more recent receivers of 2016 MBPs w/TB appear to be reporting that they are getting much better battery life. Maybe you should send or take yours back to Apple and have a new one shipped to you with hopefully a better battery.

Last edited:

marcel500

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2006
You may have gotten a lemon (one with defective battery) that was in an earlier batch of MBPs. Apple may have since quietly and internally corrected the bad battery hardware issue. Hence, more recent receivers of 2016 MBPs w/TB appear to be reporting that they are getting much better battery life. Maybe you should send or take yours back to Apple and have a new one shipped to you with hopefully a better battery.

How do you know earlier batches had battery issues and Apple fixed them?

DB4AW

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2016
How do you know earlier batches had battery issues and Apple fixed them?
I don't know. But later recipients of 2016 MBPs on this thread have been reporting better battery life. Also, I've heard rumors that there may have been some defective batteries. Apple won't admit it publicly as that might alarm many. But Apple Support has been advising some customers to send them their MBP in for replacement. And if they can, it behooves Apple to address battery hardware related issues quietly without it becoming a major and public fiasco for them.

But why keep something that is bothering you? I personally love Apple products but I do expect to get what I pay Apple much hard earned money for. That includes decent battery life that they proclaim in their ads. If not then I won't hesitate to return a product back to them for a replacement or 100% refund. It sends them a message.

Reactions: marcel500

JPNFRK7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2012
California
Got Coconut battery so ill be watching my usage and seeing how well I do. Just reinstalled macOS Sierra on top of my migrated data (was a recommendation on another website) to see if it would make a difference. Currently I am showing 7 hrs remaining on a 93% charge. Wattage usage is 7.1w.

touchtouch

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2016
I am still not satisfied with the battery. I normally got 6.5-7 hours with regular use. Can I get a replace? I bought it exactly one month ago.

febLey

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2016
Germany
I'm not getting close to the 10 hours mark, but I'm not using Safari and my brightness is at 75%.
Also I'm not just surfing, sometimes I'm coding with Atom, ripping my CDs with dbPoweramp or at the weekend I tried to run a Win95 Game in Wine.
My discharge rate is mostly between 8 - 12 Watt.

Last edited:

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2009
I'm not getting close to the 10 hours mark, but I'm not using Safari and my brightness is at 75%.
Also I'm not just surfing, sometimes I'm coding with Atom, ripping my CDs with dbPoweramp or at the weekend I tried to run a Win95 Game in Wine.

At this discharge rate you will probably last 7-8 hours. Also, connecting USB accessories seem to draw additional power (damn USB-C )

ibizarocks

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2007

10 hours is a myth if you look at the test conditions apple use. They don't have bluetooth or wifi turned on and when they watch a film they're not doing it like 99% of users do, they're playing a file locally off of the machine.

I think if you're USING your mac, 7 hours is realistically what you should aim for. I don't even get close and my discharge is around 7W.

Reactions: leon771 and No. 44

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2009
10 hours is a myth if you look at the test conditions apple use. They don't have bluetooth or wifi turned on and when they watch a film they're not doing it like 99% of users do, they're playing a file locally off of the machine.

I think if you're USING your mac, 7 hours is realistically what you should aim for. I don't even get close and my discharge is around 7W.

Indeed ! It's clear from my user experience that constant Wifi use (aka video/music streaming, downloading files, cloud syncing) will further limit battery life.

I will try to watch an youtube video for an hour and see what is my battery discharge.

febLey

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2016
Germany
Yeah you're right, I think I can be pretty happy.
Those times by Apple are very unsettling if you can't match them, they should stop advertising with them.

ibizarocks

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2007
Yeah you're right, I think I can be pretty happy.
Those times by Apple are very unsettling if you can't match them, they should stop advertising with them.

I agree. I'm sure they did it as a marketing stunt as you can't launch 'our best macbook ever' with numbers that are worse than the previous edition. It is a pathetic move at fudging the numbers though when real world light usage won't even come close.

I've decided I'm just going to live with mine underperforming and hit home the realisation that Apple isn't the company it was.

Reactions: No. 44

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2009
I agree. I'm sure they did it as a marketing stunt as you can't launch 'our best macbook ever' with numbers that are worse than the previous edition. It is a pathetic move at fudging the numbers though when real world light usage won't even come close.

I've decided I'm just going to live with mine underperforming and hit home the realisation that Apple isn't the company it was.

Notebookcheck has a nice review of the new MacBooks with ample benchmarks and comparisons. Battery is actually up to Apple's claim (10h) under light use.

The problem is really that under heavy use the new MBP lasts only 66 minutes. Small battery can only take you so far with this kind of performance.

According to one comment: "The long-duration power limit is around 30-33W for the MacBook Pro 13" TB, which is considerably higher than the non-touch version (~23W). I can confirm that TB version can maintain 30-33W essentially indefinitely.

As far as I can tell, 33W is the highest long-duration power limit for any Skylake-U laptop.

Prime95 + Furmark will cause basically any thin/light laptop to throttle; there just isn't enough power to go around to keep the GT3e graphics and the IA cores clocked up.

Under Prime95 + Furmark you can expect to see around 600MHz GPU and around 2.5GHz CPU, which is a very, very good result for a laptop this size. In comparison the XPS 9350 (even the Iris version) throttles to 15W and you can expect clocks more like 400MHz GPU / 1.1GHz CPU"

I.e. Some competitors do last longer in heavy loads but they are also operating at a smaller clip/lower performance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.