Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmanbrazil

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2010
While I agree with your first points I have to respectfully disagree with your final points as far as Apple putting out a product with certain claims they knew wouldn't achieve. There has been many reports of issues with battery sourcing when manufacturing the MBP's and that they elected to go with a subpar solution to get the product out in time for the holiday season. Granted, this may be the case and Apple all along knew they would just need to update software for better battery optimization. I hope they release an update as I really love my MBP15.

Well the first software update isn't helping much, but lets hope it can be improved some. I wont speak to Apple's intentions, etc., but if you own the machine it doesn't take long to realize the battery drops rapidly with some things that didn't affect previous versions as much.
It's bad, with a few tabs open and youtube videos playing in the background 14% in 20 minutes on the 2016 15" gimmick bar edition.

Otherwise it's a great computer. For any work you will want to be near a power socket.

Great short, to the point, assessment. The battery life is okay until videos are played, then it does too rapidly.

Falcon80

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
I am getting about 4 hours when using Parallel running Windows 7. I am also browsing with Safari during this time with at most 5 tabs opened (no playing of video). Wonder if it is normal.

Creep89

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
How do you force the iGPU? Can you switch it on and off on the fly? I use photo editing app, should it be on or off for that? Thanks!

I am using gfxCardStatus. See https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/gfxcardstatus-use.2018921/ for more information.
So you can force the MacBook to use iGPU only, dGPU only, or automatically switching as you are used to. What you can't do is force iGPU when there is already an app open which utilizes the dGPU. If there are no dependencies you can always switch.

Precursor

Cancelled
Sep 29, 2015
Istanbul
could it be that we all got different batteries ?!

Screen Shot 2016-12-31 at 17.50.51.png

it's weird that it shows 6h 54m for internet browsing. I got 11+ hours yesterday only from internet browsing, downloading files and installing programs. Right now I am transferring 100+ photos from my phone to the MBP and browsing this forum (obviously) and giving me 10h 8m for current use.

LogiLink

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2016
Poland
I found something interesting, I charged my MacPro 2016 13" to 100%, disconnect charger, I worked about 10 minutes and ..

809a932e34.png

I wonder if the problem exist in CoconutBattery software, or there is some issue with Mac.

titleistman18

macrumors member
May 20, 2016
I wonder if the problem exist in CoconutBattery software, or there is some issue with Mac.

Not CoconutBattery... software in the Mac for sure. I don't think Macs are fully charging and think there's an issue with discharging being 2-3x more than it should be. Typically doubling the watt discharge that I got on my 2012 MBP.

LogiLink

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2016
Poland
Not CoconutBattery... software in the Mac for sure. I don't think Macs are fully charging and think there's an issue with discharging being 2-3x more than it should be. Typically doubling the watt discharge that I got on my 2012 MBP.

Or some hardware problems. If so, Apple sweep it under the carpet, fast..

LogiLink

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2016
Poland
No conspiracy. Coconut battery is measuring percentage on actual battery whereas Apple is using designed capacity. Therefore, the Apple meter stays at 100% longer since it takes some time to get the battery life down to design capacity.

And why this phenomenon does not exist in my old MBPRo Early 2015 ?

The difference in battery life between Coconut and MBP2016 is 15%
The difference in battery life between Coconut and MBP2015 is 2% / 4%

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room
And why this phenomenon does not exist in my old MBPRo Early 2015 ?

The difference in battery life between Coconut and MBP2016 is 15%
The difference in battery life between Coconut and MBP2015 is 2% / 4%
I can't speak to your 2015 MBP without showing your battery monitor. Batteries degrade over time, so the 2015 battery may now be at or below design capacity, therefore not have a variance between design and full charge.

And I don't see how you're getting a 15% difference with the screenshot you show above. The odd thing I do show is that your Apple meter should say 96% as well, but it may not be refreshed in real time. I have a higher percentage on my full charge capacity as well. The variance starts out at about 5%, but then starts to converge as would be expected as the battery drains. Not sure what the hubub here is?

LogiLink

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2016
Poland
I'll try charge 2015 and 2016 to full cap, and see again what difference i get, and when it starts to converge as would be expected.

I read a lot of information from MBPro 2016 users, our battery can not hold 10h of operation.
In my case 6h is maximum (browsing, writing something in sublime editor).

If I remember correctly, Apple informs in ads 10h of battery life..
So "No conspiracy" does not convince me ;)

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room
I'll try charge 2015 and 2016 to full cap, and see again what difference i get, and when it starts to converge as would be expected.

I read a lot of information from MBPro 2016 users, our battery can not hold 10h of operation.
In my case 6h is maximum (browsing, writing something in sublime editor).

If I remember correctly, Apple informs in ads 10h of battery life..
So "No conspiracy" does not convince me ;)
I'm not sure I'm trying to convince you in particular, just there is a fair amount of talk about Apple trying to mislead or hide something. I don't think that kind of talk is fair, so I just speak my mind when I read something like that. Sometimes Apple does borderline unethical things for sure, but just not sure I've seen it on this battery issue YET.

What you're talking about specifically, I don't see even what you're getting at in terms of a conspiracy or Apple chicanery. Are you suggesting Apple is doctoring the battery meter by a couple %'s here and there? If that were the case, you have to pay up some time. When you get to zero %, the battery dies. I've run mine down to 5 or 10%, so I can't say for sure that it's overstated by a couple %, but many people have run it all the way down. I guess it's possible. But I think you're reaching for something more than this being a legitimate trick by Apple.

I won't get into the battery life thing again. I stand by my tests that I can get 10 hours whenever I want. With pretty hard use, I will get around 6. Most of the time, I'm doing closer to light use and get 9-10 hours. Many others do as well. It's good enough for me compared to most laptops including Apple's (except for Air). I haven't read this thread in awhile, but there are a lot of troubleshooting and explanations for poor battery life. You can look into it if you want, or not. This is simply new technology that people can learn to understand more, or not. My MBP can get 10 hours as claimed, no reason yours can't too. No judgment if you choose to return it.

Reactions: MacSimpson

LogiLink

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2016
Poland
I simply suggests that there may be a fault in the hardware (for example - some bad calculations, poorly chosen electronics parts), and many users encountered the same problem.

In that case "mislead or hide something" is proper word :) Don't You think ?

Mass service action is not an option, it may cost too much money.

They already hide battery life time, what next ? It also suggests that Apple could simply lie to all of us in advertising.

Last edited:
Reactions: sbpax

Noerdy

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2016
I am getting 3 hours when doing email with crome, and 4 hours with safari. I have spotify and slack open in the background. Is this software? Do I have a defective battery? What exactly is going on here. I dont really have the motivation to read 80 pages of forums replies.

Thanks!

sprockett

macrumors member
May 19, 2008
ok what i've found is quite a definitive test for testing batt life:

1. download istat 5 or something similar to get your battery discharge rate. Batt discharge rate shd be 6-11 watts MAX to get a 7-10 hour battery life.

2. download GFXCARDSTATUS, to find out which apps are forcing you to switch to discrete graphics. I realised there some apps (eg. hidemyass vpn software) that have nothing to do with graphics, but prevent your mac from using integrated graphics. Make sure you are not permantenly in discrete mode

3. as long as you are 6-11 watts range of discharge, you should be getting 8+ hours at least.

For my case, i was getting 6+ for a long time, until i realised it was my vpn software that was killing the batt life. Disabling it and I was up 8+ hrs.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
I am getting 3 hours when doing email with crome, and 4 hours with safari. I have spotify and slack open in the background. Is this software? Do I have a defective battery? What exactly is going on here. I dont really have the motivation to read 80 pages of forums replies.

Thanks!

3-4 hours seems very low, but you haven't provided much information. For example, the battery life using any browser can vary tremendously depending on what web sites you're visiting.

To get a better handle on what's going on, I suggest you install a tool like coconutBattery and monitor power draw. That will help you determine which web sites and/or apps are having the most effect. Also, the jury is still out on whether there are some faulty batteries out there and/or if an OS or firmware update will help.

Noerdy

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2016
upload_2017-1-1_12-47-58.png

Here. I am getting 2 hours on my 15inch. Chrome I need for my work, and I only have 3 tabs open. Apple should really fix this and allow me to use one of the most popular web browsers without it killing my battery.
This is a common thing btw I have never seen it more than 4 hours.

TheLogans

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2016
Leeds, United Kingdom
View attachment 681191

Here. I am getting 2 hours on my 15inch. Chrome I need for my work, and I only have 3 tabs open. Apple should really fix this and allow me to use one of the most popular web browsers without it killing my battery.

Ouch!!! 2hrs seem pretty low. May be worth taking it into the store. When I used Chrome for a full day I still managed to get a little over 5hrs.

I found it hard to ditch Chrome, TBH and did use it for a couple of websites even today.

One thing you can try do is checking what is using the memory/CPU in Chrome (especially if you use Chrome Apps or Extensions). You can do this by clicking on the "3 dot menu" on top right > More Tools > Task Manager.

I noticed that some of the Chrome Extensions on Chrome were hogging the CPU and that was what moved me to Safari (like literally last night). I found I can use most of the same extensions in Safari anyway (just had to tweak my workflows for some of them though).

DB4AW

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2016
View attachment 681191

Ouch is right. But Chrome is Google's problem not Apple's. Google needs to optimize that app to run more efficiently. Besides, Apple will suggest you use their app Safari which is optimized to work with their hardware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.