Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room
Ouch is right. But Chrome is Google's problem not Apple's. Google needs to optimize that app to run more efficiently. Besides, Apple will suggest you use their app Safari which is optimized to work with their hardware.

I had issues with chrome AND safari and realized using coconut that certain websites including MR had massive amounts of trackers and ads that were killing battery. Ghostery and adblock greatly helped my battery life. Also streaming on hbogo and amazon prime draw massive battery. I still want to use them so I just accept that they will kill battery. Knowledge just helps you understand and know what to expect. If you want 10 hours, you need a steady draw of 4-6 watts. Anything more and you can do the math to see how long your profile will last.

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room
I simply suggests that there may be a fault in the hardware (for example - some bad calculations, poorly chosen electronics parts), and many users encountered the same problem.

In that case "mislead or hide something" is proper word :) Don't You think ?

Mass service action is not an option, it may cost too much money.

They already hide battery life time, what next ? It also suggests that Apple could simply lie to all of us in advertising.

Personally I don't believe there is faulty hardware based on my experience. 9to5 mac did a battery test and got just over 9 hours on their tests. Apple claimed up to 10. Is that "lying"? I suppose we have different definitions. There is clearly some software optimization that can be done. Also different expectations based on past Apple battery claims. But these are "high efficiency" skylakes that vary power usage. I just think "lie" is a strong word that implies intentional misleading. IMHO and we are all entitled to opinions.

cnharris

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2016
I really find it hard to believe that Apple actually believes that the latest MBP's get 10 hours of battery on normal usage.

I've owned my 15" MBP for 3 weeks now. The first one I had (for 4 weeks) was returned because of this battery issue, and I still see no change since the first.

I have not been this frustrated with Apple since the pre-OS X days. You owe it to your customers to make this right.

upload_2017-1-1_15-35-34.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-1-1_15-35-5.png
    upload_2017-1-1_15-35-5.png
    332.2 KB · Views: 126

Noerdy

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2016
Here, attached is me using safari at half brightness. wtf is going on?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-01 at 4.06.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-01 at 4.06.12 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 325

DB4AW

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2016
I really find it hard to believe that Apple actually believes that the latest MBP's get 10 hours of battery on normal usage.

I've owned my 15" MBP for 3 weeks now. The first one I had (for 4 weeks) was returned because of this battery issue, and I still see no change since the first.

I have not been this frustrated with Apple since the pre-OS X days. You owe it to your customers to make this right.

View attachment 681221
Apple didn't lie to you. You misunderstood their battery life claims. Below are screenshots for clarification.

IMG_0027.PNG
IMG_0028.PNG

Last edited:
Reactions: Woodcrest64

Thanos812007

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2010
Sorry with no offense.. It seems that some here u are irrelevant. In the screenshots above from the activity monitor the gpu is in mode high performance. 10 hours is with the integrated graphic card not with the AMD. Switching to the high performance u get 4-5 hours and thats logical!! So please stop complaining without even knowing to read the activity monitor!!

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room
Here, attached is me using safari at half brightness. wtf is going on?

Don't know why spotify is using dgpu but that isn't helping. Also, safari does drain pretty badly when on certain sites without adblockers. Again, Apple and/or spotify should have cleaned up this software to not use dgpu when not needed. But you should get coconut battery and see what sites are drawing. I am not suggesting you don't visit those sites, just understand that not all websites are created equal. You will just be able to understand which sites hurt battery and which don't. I think Apple's tests were done on "top sites". They all draw different power and significant in some cases. Adblockers helped me a lot. Also, you need to do an actual rundown test to see how battery is performing. That estimate is junk. Even if you test down to 50% you can estimate what battery life you'll get.

Reactions: MacSimpson

DB4AW

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2016
And what are you getting? It's pretty obvious that after 7 weeks of use and very similar activity that 6 hours of battery life is not 10. Now, I know that still falls under the "Up to 10 hours" statement, but it is misleading to say the least.
I'm good. I did the CR Battery test 4 times. On my maxed out 2015 MBP 15" at full brightness, I consistently got between 7 and 8 hrs. I could have gotten more if I did Apple's more stringent testing. So I don't know what CR is talking about. Besides, unlike most of you here, I plan to keep my 2016 MBP plugged in most times within a dedicated work area where I do my programming. At home, I use my iPad and/or iPhone for most other tasks as I move about.

badlydrawnboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2003
So I charged my 13" TB last night, woke up this morning and got on a plane. Just pulled the MBP out (about 8 hours after disconnecting it from the charger), and it is down to 90% with no use at all.

In other words, it lost 10% in about 8 hours. That seems really high given that it's rated for 30 days of standby time.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
I have a question, I have a refurb 2015 15" 2.2 ghz, coconut battery says it only had 8 cycles on the battery.

My question is when I charge it to 100% and then unplug when I look at the top the battery indicator says 100% but when I click on the battery it says time remaining 8 hrs, shouldn't it say 9 hrs as that is what apples website says after a full charge.

Ok this is weird I just looked again and it says calculating remaining and then 1 min later it changed to 15:38 remaining is that normal?

So now with 26 mins since 100% at 75% brightness it now shows 13:26 time remaining. Does this sound like normal results from just web surfing only safari open.

Last edited:

ACGarland

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2016
I have a question, I have a refurb 2015 15" 2.2 ghz, coconut battery says it only had 8 cycles on the battery.

My question is when I charge it to 100% and then unplug when I look at the top the battery indicator says 100% but when I click on the battery it says time remaining 8 hrs, shouldn't it say 9 hrs as that is what apples website says after a full charge.

Ok this is weird I just looked again and it says calculating remaining and then 1 min later it changed to 15:38 remaining is that normal?

So now with 26 mins since 100% at 75% brightness it now shows 13:26 time remaining. Does this sound like normal results from just web surfing only safari open.

With the 2016 MBP machines, the battery life estimation is known to fluctuate significantly for the initial period of time after switching to battery power. This is why Apple removed the estimation in the latest release of Sierra. In the meantime, I wouldn't put much stock in the estimate until the machine has been on battery for an hour or more. Even then, the estimate doesn't appear to be averaged very well so expect it to change up and down as you use various applications which vary in their power consumption (especially switching between the internal vs. discrete GPU on the 15").

Quite a bit (but not all) of the thrashing on the Internet concerning the battery life of these new machines is in response to the bogus estimates. (Whether Apple should have foreseen and avoided this rather large PR glitch is another topic.) So I'd ignore the battery estimates until you get more experience with how they typically change. Just focus on the actual battery life you see when using the machine.

dof250

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2014
View attachment 681191

Here. I am getting 2 hours on my 15inch. Chrome I need for my work, and I only have 3 tabs open. Apple should really fix this and allow me to use one of the most popular web browsers without it killing my battery.
This is a common thing btw I have never seen it more than 4 hours.

Spotify is using you're dGPU... Thats why you get such low battery life.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
So I charged my 13" TB last night, woke up this morning and got on a plane. Just pulled the MBP out (about 8 hours after disconnecting it from the charger), and it is down to 90% with no use at all.

In other words, it lost 10% in about 8 hours. That seems really high given that it's rated for 30 days of standby time.

Was your computer shut down completely or asleep when you disconnected it from the charger? If it was asleep, was Power Nap enabled? As far as power draw is concerned, I'd expect the least when the computer is completely shut down, the most when asleep with Power Nap enabled, and somewhere in between when asleep with Power Nap disabled.

Your 10% loss in 8 hours is much more than I'd expect for any of these conditions, including sleeping with Power Nap turned on. Personally, I don't use Power Nap at all when the computer is on battery. I don't care about updating my mail, contacts, calendar, and other stuff while the computer is sleeping since those things usually occur very quickly after I wake the computer. The only value I can see is that the Mac's location updates, which can help if it's misplaced or stolen while asleep.

ice29

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2016
Switzerland
That power loss when "standby" is pretty normal and has been there since El Capitan and 2015 MBP - mine sometimes loses nothing, sometimes up to 30% overnight, no powernap or schedules... It's just sh*tty OS that sometimes does things it should not do. Don't see why the new one should behave differently (unfortunately)
You can check the logs and see that the machine had been awake sometime during standby, I have spent weeks trying to figure out what is causing this, but nothing...

Shir0

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2016
I have worked 7.5 hours today at work and still have 28% battery left. 6 hours of them was really active with Safari, Chrome, Excel, messenger and totally almost 15 tabs in the browsers.

Background programs: little snitch, Bitdefender, battery monitor, 1 password, Tresorit and a Mx Master on bluetooth in the background

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.