Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sziehr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Is it safe to assume by now that Apple does not intend to do and/ or say anything about the battery "situation"? I've waited this long (even though I desperately need one ASAP, more like 3 months ago) just to get a confirmation from Apple that what's causing this mess is just a software issue and not a hardware one. Hell, they haven't even acknowledged the issue yet. The closest was Phill's tweet concerning Consumer Report's findings. At that point, I had hoped that soon enough they'd say something - but it's been a while since that tweet, and still nothing.

I know that odds are it's a software issue (and then I'd simply get it and wait for the update), but I need a confirmation on that, because once I get the MBP I will not be able to return it (long story).

This is really messed up.

it is not safe to assume that. CR gave them a black eye and we are told something will be reported back.

So I am thinking we are going to get some sort of reply but who knows

elvin_hu

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2016
Ouch is right. But Chrome is Google's problem not Apple's. Google needs to optimize that app to run more efficiently. Besides, Apple will suggest you use their app Safari which is optimized to work with their hardware.
I use only safari and the power usage keeps going above 20 watts. I'm still getting around 3-4 hours even though I've returned and got a new unit already.

jjjoseph

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2013
Ouch is right. But Chrome is Google's problem not Apple's. Google needs to optimize that app to run more efficiently. Besides, Apple will suggest you use their app Safari which is optimized to work with their hardware.

I feel like this is finger pointing to distract from an underlying hardware problem. Browsers are now the center of a lot of media through the browsers, GAMES, VIDEOS, EMAIL, FACEBOOK, all pulling massive watts, so its a lot harder to pin down an inefficient browser, a browser can go from pulling .8W to 80W in a heartbeat. In our tests Safari base pulled the same and sometimes more watts than Chrome, now chrome LOADED with all your gmail and apps and what not pulled more, but also safari loaded pulled a lot as well.

When I talked with Apple I asked if it was a hardware problem, and the response was NO!! NO!! NO!! NO!! NO!! NO!! Almost like they where waiting for the question, they said it was a software problem. I feel like Apple is on the defensive about hardware and their new 2016 MacBook Pro build. Especially after the CR article.

sziehr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
I feel like this is finger pointing to distract from an underlying hardware problem. Browsers are now the center of a lot of media through the browsers, GAMES, VIDEOS, EMAIL, FACEBOOK, all pulling massive watts, so its a lot harder to pin down an inefficient browser, a browser can go from pulling .8W to 80W in a heartbeat. In our tests Safari base pulled the same and sometimes more watts than Chrome, now chrome LOADED with all your gmail and apps and what not pulled more, but also safari loaded pulled a lot as well.

When I talked with Apple I asked if it was a hardware problem, and the response was NO!! NO!! NO!! NO!! NO!! NO!! Almost like they where waiting for the question, they said it was a software problem. I feel like Apple is on the defensive about hardware and their new 2016 MacBook Pro build. Especially after the CR article.

I think they hopping it is not a hardware issue. I feel it is more than likely not a hardware issue.
The software issue has to be some rather nasty power bug.

That being said I have a 2016 15 and 13. I am not sure how feel about keeping this much hardware exposed to this large of a flaw.

They are going to be very hard to move on the secondary market until apple addresses the issue and the dust settles.

This is really a sad day for apple that they are so clueless or secretive that they can not communicate to the customers that they are working on the issues cause then that means they had to admit an issue existed.

Look issues happen I deal with tech issues daily. If I tried to play off there was no problem I would get eaten alive. Time for the gators to get after Apple on this issue. They need to feel a little bit of what it is like to be in tech still. The IDK is not a viable answer and the there is nothing to see here when things are on fire does not help.

sziehr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
so no improvement with the new unit?
Whats more what is the CPU doing during this watt usage. is safari eating up a bunch of cycles.

3 to 4 hours on 20 watts is to be expected on a 78wh battery and for fun the 2015 has a 98 or so watt hour battery and if you were using 20 watts you would only get 4.9 hours not some mythical 12 hours.

So I suspect 1 safari is eating a ton of juice due to being rogue and needs helps with an update

or you have a rogue process eating power

or you very unlucky and got the two machines in a row with bad power controllers.

20 watts should last about 3.9 hours on 78 wh.

So there we have it these machines should only shed 1 hour at the most.

So there is something wrong with the software controlling these machines some where. Will apple fix it. I have my doubts.

The redux on battery should not net you more than half loss in time with the same use case.

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room
I think they hopping it is not a hardware issue. I feel it is more than likely not a hardware issue.
The software issue has to be some rather nasty power bug.

That being said I have a 2016 15 and 13. I am not sure how feel about keeping this much hardware exposed to this large of a flaw.

They are going to be very hard to move on the secondary market until apple addresses the issue and the dust settles.

This is really a sad day for apple that they are so clueless or secretive that they can not communicate to the customers that they are working on the issues cause then that means they had to admit an issue existed.

Look issues happen I deal with tech issues daily. If I tried to play off there was no problem I would get eaten alive. Time for the gators to get after Apple on this issue. They need to feel a little bit of what it is like to be in tech still. The IDK is not a viable answer and the there is nothing to see here when things are on fire does not help.
I am no engineer and I certainly don't work at Apple, so ignore this if that bothers you. This is very likely a software issue. The fact that many get claimed battery and others don't with the only difference being different software loaded or transferred from old backups, the logical conclusion is that it's the software combinations doing this. Of course, this is is on Apple to test and communicate, not us buyers.

That being said, if you monitor your battery and see what different programs are doing, you'll know what software has issues with the hardware. For me it was Apple Safari on certain sites (ghostery helps) and iTunes streaming from network. Flash also sucks (hbogo). I didn't stop using these things, I simply mitigated when I could and changed my expectations of battery life when I used these things. That sounds a lot like software. If it were hardware, we'd all get s**t battery all the time. At least that's how I logic'ed this. We shouldn't have to troubleshoot/monitor ourselves, but I think that's the nature of these skylakes. 15's are a whole other story because of that dGPU. I've been reading it turns on for no good reason (software triggered). Spotify and messages shouldn't need the dGPU, yet they are activating it.

jjjoseph

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2013
Honestly I would have kept the laptop if Apple would have admitted a fault with the battery, instead they have sealed lips and defensive responses. I mean if they would say, YES, the batteries are defective, here's a $400 Coupon for another Apple product or your warranty is extended or you get a discount on a laptop upgrade down the road, I would be fine with the short battery life. Apple had given me little options. Their offer is to return it, or sit on the phone with tech support for 6 months... Tech support wanted to log into my computer and add my laptop to their testing pool, but I declined. Apple needs put on their big boy pants and admit to whats going on. They got billions in cash now, a few laptop fiascos can't be that damaging, can it?

hululu

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2016
Whats more what is the CPU doing during this watt usage. is safari eating up a bunch of cycles.

3 to 4 hours on 20 watts is to be expected on a 78wh battery and for fun the 2015 has a 98 or so watt hour battery and if you were using 20 watts you would only get 4.9 hours not some mythical 12 hours.

So I suspect 1 safari is eating a ton of juice due to being rogue and needs helps with an update

or you have a rogue process eating power

or you very unlucky and got the two machines in a row with bad power controllers.

20 watts should last about 3.9 hours on 78 wh.

So there we have it these machines should only shed 1 hour at the most.

So there is something wrong with the software controlling these machines some where. Will apple fix it. I have my doubts.

The redux on battery should not net you more than half loss in time with the same use case.

yea I've noticed my safari going crazy sometimes when I had activity monitor on, it spiked at like 40-60w for a few seconds. Average was around 15w.

DB4AW

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2016
2016 13" MacBook Pro w/ 16GB Ram and 512 SSD.

In my tests, Safari and Firefox tested.. I used CoconutBattery to see the WATTS being pulled.

(4 to 6 hours) NO FLASH, NO VIDEO, just text websites only, gmail in a browser, LOW SCREEN BRIGHTNESS. No other applications open.

(1 hour to 45 Mins, NOT A JOKE!!) Websites with video vimeo, netflix, and amazon prime. Multiple windows open.

When I started to test the video intensive websites is when I threw in the towel. The battery life is just going to get worse over the life of these laptops, and Apple is becoming more secretive about their battery replacement process on new machines. I assume it will be $200 to $400 to replace the battery down the road, but that is just a guess. Tim Cooke could abandon battery replacement all together for all we know, and just give use a $400 coupon for a iPad Pro.

Imagine when the battery is at 80% capacity or less, and I will get 30 Mins of battery doing intensive video via a web browser. Thats not cool for a $1900 machine.
I hope you purchased 3 year Apple Care support as well. You pay much for a MBP so getting AC is well worth the investment. It might save you some money down the line.

jjjoseph

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2013
I hope you purchased 3 year Apple Care support as well. You pay much for a MBP so getting AC is well worth the investment. It might save you some money down the line.
I did get AppleCare, but its going back to Apple.. Its being cleaned and put back in the box as we speak. Maybe a P.O.S. ChromeBook while I wait for Apple to figure out where its priorities are, with its users or its stock holders.

SamVilde

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2008
New York City
Is it safe to assume by now that Apple does not intend to do and/ or say anything about the battery "situation"? I've waited this long (even though I desperately need one ASAP, more like 3 months ago) just to get a confirmation from Apple that what's causing this mess is just a software issue and not a hardware one. Hell, they haven't even acknowledged the issue yet. The closest was Phill's tweet concerning Consumer Report's findings. At that point, I had hoped that soon enough they'd say something - but it's been a while since that tweet, and still nothing.

I know that odds are it's a software issue (and then I'd simply get it and wait for the update)...

As a person in exactly your situation: empathy and solidarity. I was so good and restrained, repaired all I could, and waited until I really need a replacement - and now I feel totally confused about what to do.

I don’t believe in buying old tech, so I’m not getting an air or a 2015. I really like the MacOS and I do not want a windows machine - especially not if I have to pay a premium on it: the Surface Book in the specs I was holding out for are $700 more than the MBP! And while I do have enough money to buy the MBP I want today - overpriced as it is - I do not have the kind of money where I can burn the cash on buying an overpriced Gen 1 today and then resell it at a huge loss in 12-18 months when the Gen 2s are cheaper and better.

For this reason I keep following this thread, and it is profoundly frustrating. If most people were reporting a solid 8+h, I'd buy today. But hearing about 3 and 4? I can't.

Last edited:
Reactions: vddobrev

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Honestly I would have kept the laptop if Apple would have admitted a fault with the battery, instead they have sealed lips and defensive responses. I mean if they would say, YES, the batteries are defective, here's a $400 Coupon for another Apple product or your warranty is extended or you get a discount on a laptop upgrade down the road, I would be fine with the short battery life. Apple had given me little options. Their offer is to return it, or sit on the phone with tech support for 6 months... Tech support wanted to log into my computer and add my laptop to their testing pool, but I declined. Apple needs put on their big boy pants and admit to whats going on. They got billions in cash now, a few laptop fiascos can't be that damaging, can it?

At this point we don't know if it's a hardware or software issue at play. I'm sure that Apple is investigating, and it's not their M.O. to say much at this point, certainly not offer a rebate, warranty extension, or anything similar. That doesn't mean that they won't eventually do so, but not yet.

jjjoseph

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2013
At this point we don't know if it's a hardware or software issue at play. I'm sure that Apple is investigating, and it's not their M.O. to say much at this point, certainly not offer a rebate, warranty extension, or anything similar. That doesn't mean that they won't eventually do so, but not yet.
Either way its boxed and on its way back, its a beautiful machine, a shame Apple neglected the inside of it and just focused on the outside.

iasix

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2016
I wish Apple made a statement regarding the battery life of the TB model.

I went from nTB to TB and now after using it for a while I realize I just can't live with the 5 - max 6 hours under normal usage.

nTB model gave me 10+ hours with the same usage. Apple is seriously disappointing with this one.

tc47

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2013
I wish Apple made a statement regarding the battery life of the TB model.

I went from nTB to TB and now after using it for a while I realize I just can't live with the 5 - max 6 hours under normal usage.

nTB model gave me 10+ hours with the same usage. Apple is seriously disappointing with this one.
Wow. I have one more day left to decide whether to return the TB 13 inch, and this really tempts me to go ahead and get a nTB instead. Can I ask which configuration of the nTB model you had that gave you this great battery life? Base model with 8GB RAM and 256 or altered? :) Thanks!

PS: Asking because I read somewhere that 16GB RAM models of nTB gave disappointing battery life, and if I was to get the nTB now I was originally thinking of getting it with upgraded RAM and maybe even more storage.

Turpentine222

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2016
Everyone on this thread keeps posting numbers about power draw. I'm myself generally getting between 7w and 11w with light-to-medium use. That squares pretty well with an autonomy of 6-8 hours on average on a single charge.

But then I wondered: how does this compare to other Mac laptops? I never paid much attention to all this before. So I downloaded CoconutBattery on my 2011 MBA and noticed it gets around 6w-7w with luminosity at 70% and only Safari open, vs 5w-6w on my 13 tb.

This seems to indicate that the tb is more efficient. This could be because of Sierra (the MBA is running El Capitan) or something else, I don't know, but somehow I doubt we'll see significant improvements from future OS X updates. The reality is that the battery is just plain too small...

For the sake of science, for those who own a 2015 MBP, what is the draw when light browsing using the latest Sierra update? This would be a better comparison.

Reactions: Thanos812007

MacLust

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2016
Just received my 15" TB 460 -- when I reattached the AC the activity monitor reported 13.5 hours time on battery and 30% battery remaining. Is this including time when the computer was closed/sleeping? If so is there a more accurate app to track battery usage time?

Qwe9203

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2014
Just received my 15" TB 460 -- when I reattached the AC the activity monitor reported 13.5 hours time on battery and 30% battery remaining. Is this including time when the computer was closed/sleeping? If so is there a more accurate app to track battery usage time?

Forget about estimated time remaining. You have to manually time your real usage hours. Time remaining will fluctuate from 2 hours to 16 depending what the computer is doing in the last certain time frame.

MacLust

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2016
Forget about estimated time remaining. You have to manually time your real usage hours. Time remaining will fluctuate from 2 hours to 16 depending what the computer is doing in the last certain time frame.

I wasn't talking about estimated time remaining, I'm talking about "time on battery" as shown in activity monitor.

DB4AW

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2016
Check out the app Battery Logger in the App Store. It keeps a detailed history of actual times that MBP was either on battery or was on AC power. And it's smart enough to stop tracking when you put MBP to sleep. Enjoy!

Last edited:

hululu

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2016

sleep included

get battery logger on the mac app store

iasix

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2016
Wow. I have one more day left to decide whether to return the TB 13 inch, and this really tempts me to go ahead and get a nTB instead. Can I ask which configuration of the nTB model you had that gave you this great battery life? Base model with 8GB RAM and 256 or altered? :) Thanks!

PS: Asking because I read somewhere that 16GB RAM models of nTB gave disappointing battery life, and if I was to get the nTB now I was originally thinking of getting it with upgraded RAM and maybe even more storage.
Honestly if battery is important, get the nTB. I had the base configuration. I don't think 16GB would change a lot though. Let's exaggerate and say it's eat up a complete hour of battery life, you'd still be approximating 10-11 unlike the 5-6 of the tb.

These are not estimates btw. I logged it all with battery logger.

Also: I work with large databases (STATA) and really haven't noticed a difference in performance at all!
[doublepost=1483587772][/doublepost]
Honestly if battery is important, get the nTB. I had the base configuration. I don't think 16GB would change a lot though. Let's exaggerate and say it's eat up a complete hour of battery life, you'd still be approximating 10-11 unlike the 5-6 of the tb.

These are not estimates btw. I logged it all with battery logger.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.