Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fluxvol

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2017
That is promising!

The reviews are at these links:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2016/11/the-2016-13-and-15-inch-touch-bar-macbook-pros-reviewed/
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/0...the-2015-15-inch-retina-macbook-pro-reviewed/
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Apple-MacBook-Pro-15-Late-2016-2-6-GHz-i7-Notebook-Review.185254.0.html
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Apple-MacBook-Pro-Retina-15-Mid-2015-Review.144402.0.html

Given what you say, and my ignorance of how much power some of the programs you mention use, it seems to me you may be getting normal battery life. The only way to know for sure would be to try the same things on another machine known to get normal battery life. I know Safari is optimized for Macs, but Chrome isn't, and is known to become a battery hog quickly under various conditions. The others programs I don't know about. The Activity Monitor should give some indication of how much energy they use in its energy section

A big factor is how bright the screen is. How many notches up do you set it?

Thank you for the links. Sorry I am just responding, been offline for most of the weekend. I have not counted notches but we are definitely in the 75% range for brightness.

After my wife used her machine most of the last 2 nights, I feel confident Apple has fixed the battery issue with these new beta releases. So, if anyone is reading this that was like me, there is light at the end of the tunnel. Joining the beta program and getting release 3 and then 4 of 10.12.3 was well worth the minimal effort.

Reactions: Sanpete

matram

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Sweden
I have not counted notches but we are definitely in the 75% range for brightness.

If you want the best battery life you may want to go down to around 50%. I measured battery lifetime as a result of brightness playing SD video in iTunes and got the following results.
8 clicks - 12,4 h - 50%
10 clicks - 11,9 h
12 clicks - 10,5 h - 75%
14 clicks - 8,7 h
16 clicks - 6,5 h - 100%

There was very little effect of going below 50% (8 clicks) but for very bright screens battery life degrades quickly.

Turpentine222

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2016
If you want the best battery life you may want to go down to around 50%. I measured battery lifetime as a result of brightness playing SD video in iTunes and got the following results.
8 clicks - 12,4 h - 50%
10 clicks - 11,9 h
12 clicks - 10,5 h - 75%
14 clicks - 8,7 h
16 clicks - 6,5 h - 100%

There was very little effect of going below 50% (8 clicks) but for very bright screens battery life degrades quickly.

Yep, you are exactly right. That's what I noticed too and I think a lot of the variance in user-submitted "real life usage" numbers we see on this thread is due to differences in the # of brightness clicks.

I for one much prefer a brighter screen (14 to 16 clicks). Yet going from 12 to 16 clicks makes someone go from "my MBP can last 10+ hours" to "my MBP can't Leven last 7 hours".

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room
8 clicks - 12,4 h - 50%
10 clicks - 11,9 h
12 clicks - 10,5 h - 75%
14 clicks - 8,7 h
16 clicks - 6,5 h - 100%

Yep, yep. I often forget about the brightness when helping others troubleshoot. This is one of the biggest drivers of battery life. Good find that the brightness is not linear in terms of battery draw. It is a lot more severe at the higher levels.

Mixolyd

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2014
Oregon
Can anyone else with 13'' nTB comment on battery drain while sleeping? I'm getting 5-6% overnight even after disabling enhanced notifications. No wakes overnight. Just draining for some reason. I updated to 10.12.3 beta 4 and still same thing

tCC_

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2016
The link tells ya disabling notifcations in the GUI doesn't do much, but maybe I'm reading it wrong

Theophil1971

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2015
USA
8 clicks - 12,4 h - 50%
10 clicks - 11,9 h
12 clicks - 10,5 h - 75%
14 clicks - 8,7 h
16 clicks - 6,5 h - 100%

Nice. Thanks!

tc47

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2013
I'm pretty happy I traded in the TB 13" for nTB 13". This is approx the battery life I'm getting when I just have a couple tabs open in Safari and 3-4 clicks of brightness in bed at night. When I use 3-4 apps at the same time and have 60-70% brightness I easily get the advertised 10 hours, usually an hour or two more as well! This is such a great laptop! Definitely the best and most "thought through" release in 2016. Nothing to complain about :)

edit - By the way, as you can see on the screenshot there, my current max is a bit lower now than "original max". only had the mac less than 2 weeks, is that strange or normal? also note that health is 98%. others who have similar experience regarding health/reduced current max etc? Would be good to know if that's "normal" or if it's something that shouldn't be like that.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-20 at 05.07.11.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-20 at 05.07.11.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 304
Last edited:

mahcus36

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2016
my battery life has slowly gotten worse than when I bought it.

been safari browsing for the past 45 minutes or so, and I'm dropped 11%...brightness around 60-65%

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
You might be suffering from a bug that stands fixed in the latest 10.12.3 beta 4. So, if you're in a hurry, get on the beta wagon or wait till they release it for the masses.

Trixs

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2008
I'm pretty happy I traded in the TB 13" for nTB 13". This is approx the battery life I'm getting when I just have a couple tabs open in Safari and 3-4 clicks of brightness in bed at night. When I use 3-4 apps at the same time and have 60-70% brightness I easily get the advertised 10 hours, usually an hour or two more as well! This is such a great laptop! Definitely the best and most "thought through" release in 2016. Nothing to complain about :)

edit - By the way, as you can see on the screenshot there, my current max is a bit lower now than "original max". only had the mac less than 2 weeks, is that strange or normal? also note that health is 98%. others who have similar experience regarding health/reduced current max etc? Would be good to know if that's "normal" or if it's something that shouldn't be like that.
Similar story here regarding battery health, bit lower actually, been fluctuating between 95 and 97 after like 18 cycles.

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2009
my battery life has slowly gotten worse than when I bought it.

been safari browsing for the past 45 minutes or so, and I'm dropped 11%...brightness around 60-65%
Noticing something similar but maybe just an impression. Battery life on 10.2.2 now seems to hover around 8-9h and not longer reaches 10h.

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
After a few weeks with a 13" TB model, the battery life is pretty much as it has been on the other models I've had the luck to use since launch. I'm typically getting 8hours+ whilst still ending up with somewhere between 15-25% of battery left. The reason I say 8 hours is that on an average day working from home, that's the time I've been choosing to be away from a power source.

The day is spent with a dozen or so Safari tabs, Mail, Tweetdesk, a Citrix session, iTunes streaming to headphones and some Pages & Numbers use. Screen brightness is set to auto.

Reactions: macintoshmac

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Like I said, i disabled enhanced notifications (which is what that link you sent is about). i'm not getting any wakes overnight anymore but still having some battery drain which is odd

I get upwards of 10-20% some nights, no matter what I do. Its disappointing. I love this laptop, but the sleep battery drain was one of my pet peeves on windows; which shortly before I sold my XPS 15 reduced to only 2-3% a night (which is great).

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
After a few weeks with a 13" TB model, the battery life is pretty much as it has been on the other models I've had the luck to use since launch. I'm typically getting 8hours+ whilst still ending up with somewhere between 15-25% of battery left. The reason I say 8 hours is that on an average day working from home, that's the time I've been choosing to be away from a power source.

The day is spent with a dozen or so Safari tabs, Mail, Tweetdesk, a Citrix session, iTunes streaming to headphones and some Pages & Numbers use. Screen brightness is set to auto.

Refreshing level-headedness.

stephenvis

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2007
After 42 cycles my battery is now on 98 procent with 80 mAh drop. Will warranty cover batteries when they drop a certain percentage over the first 1 or 2 years?

Edit: Found the answer on apple's site:
Your battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 1000 complete charge cycles.

If my battery continues to drain at this rate it will degrade 42 percent in 1000 cycles 0r

Last edited:
Reactions: teerexx52

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
After 42 cycles my battery is now on 98 procent with 80 mAh drop. Will warranty cover batteries when they drop a certain percentage over the first 1 or 2 years?

Edit: Found the answer on apple's site:
Your battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 1000 complete charge cycles.

If my battery continues to drain at this rate it will degrade 42 percent in 1000 cycles 0r

It shouldn't....

Are you using coconut battery? Whatever you are using, there is a percent error in the report. My readings can vary form day to day. You may also see, initially, a 5% drop of or so; but then it will slow down. Don't fret over it a this point. Just treat it well.

Mine was down to 96% a few days ago, then it was 102%, and now it it at 98.8%. I wouldn't worry about it for now, just enjoy the machine....

Reactions: xmonkey

stephenvis

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2007
It shouldn't....

Are you using coconut battery? Whatever you are using, there is a percent error in the report. My readings can vary form day to day. You may also see, initially, a 5% drop of or so; but then it will slow down. Don't fret over it a this point. Just treat it well.

Mine was down to 96% a few days ago, then it was 102%, and now it it at 98.8%. I wouldn't worry about it for now, just enjoy the machine....

I am! Thanks for the explanation, you're giving me some well-needed peace of mind :)

konnyaku

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2016
I just updated to 10.12.3 final. 15" TB with 460.

In my first time test run, battery results are better than before. Wattages do not seem to spike as easily as on earlier builds of Sierra, and stay pleasingly low, around or below 10W on light usage (music, web browsing, word processing, keeping an iPhone charged via USB) at around 70% brightness.

I also use gfxCardStatus to force integrated gfx only.

With this, 8-10 hours on "normal use" should definitely be possible.

imac2go

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2016
I just updated to 10.12.3 final. 15" TB with 460.

In my first time test run, battery results are better than before. Wattages do not seem to spike as easily as on earlier builds of Sierra, and stay pleasingly low, around or below 10W on light usage (music, web browsing, word processing, keeping an iPhone charged via USB) at around 70% brightness.

I also use gfxCardStatus to force integrated gfx only.

With this, 8-10 hours on "normal use" should definitely be possible.

i can confirm this. After the update, im getting around 10-12 hours of browsing/hearing music

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.