Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
I have purchased a used iPhone 6S that seems to be getting HORRIBLE battery life. I am used to the 6+, so I understand I have unrealistic expectations. But this seems really bad - I can run it to 70% with 1.5-2 hours of light usage. Yesterday, the phone shut off at 82% charge and would not power back on until plugged into a power source. Then again at 60%, and again at 13%. I brought it to the Apple Store, they ran diagnostics stating that it didn't quiiiiiiite fail the test, but it's (and I quote) "right at what I would call that diagonal line, close to the threshold of failing but still passing" and they denied a replacement. I have 2 days left on the 1 year warranty. I have a feeling they just want me to fork over the $79 for battery replacement. Hmmph. They reinstalled the firmware on the phone and said that will likely fix it. If it shorts out again with plenty of capacity left and my warranty is over, I'm going to be quite an unpleasant person to deal with when I return to that store. They had better cross their fingers.
[doublepost=1474597830][/doublepost]I watched one episode of CBS' Survivor, background app refresh off, Bluetooth off, under half brightness. I went from a full charge, to currently 55%.

59 minutes usage, 59 minutes standby

How is that not failing? Huh?

Actually, since composing this post it is now 52%.

Update: 1 hour 7 mins usage - now at 44%. I can literally just watch it run down.

Update 2: Restarted the phone, and it went up to 50%. This battery sucks.

Last edited:

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
95% battery left at 8PM here. I recharged the iphone 6s at 11AM at full 100%, use was pretty moderate just some web surfing but 4g was on most of the time.

I'm back on ios 9.3.5 obviously.

On iOS 10 i would be at 80% at this hour pretty much.

How's your total usage on iOS 9? Did you set it up as a new iPhone? Did you set up iOS 10 as new too? Sometimes restoring from a backup can mess things up.

I have purchased a used iPhone 6S that seems to be getting HORRIBLE battery life. I am used to the 6+, so I understand I have unrealistic expectations. But this seems really bad - I can run it to 70% with 1.5-2 hours of light usage. Yesterday, the phone shut off at 82% charge and would not power back on until plugged into a power source. Then again at 60%, and again at 13%. I brought it to the Apple Store, they ran diagnostics stating that it didn't quiiiiiiite fail the test, but it's (and I quote) "right at what I would call that diagonal line, close to the threshold of failing but still passing" and they denied a replacement. I have 2 days left on the 1 year warranty. I have a feeling they just want me to fork over the $79 for battery replacement. Hmmph. They reinstalled the firmware on the phone and said that will likely fix it. If it shorts out again with plenty of capacity left and my warranty is over, I'm going to be quite an unpleasant person to deal with when I return to that store. They had better cross their fingers.
[doublepost=1474597830][/doublepost]I watched one episode of CBS' Survivor, background app refresh off, Bluetooth off, under half brightness. I went from a full charge, to currently 55%.

Update: 1 hour 7 mins usage - now at 44%. I can literally just watch it run down.

Your battery is definitely failing. You need a new one. When it turns off on it's own, it's failing for sure.

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
Currently my 2 year old iPhone 6 shows the following, iOS 10.0.1:

Battery 11%
Usage 5 hrs 38 min
Standby 12 hrs 54 min
Is that average? Or bad?

Bad. Check your battery's mAh capacity using coconut battery. If it's really low, it's your battery. If it's not, it's iOS 10. Did you set it up as new?

On my iPhone 6, the battery completely dies just after 4 hours (from a full charge) from playing my iTunes Playlist. My memory may be incorrect but, I don't recall the battery life being so short on iOS 9. Anyone else experience what they believe to be short battery life using the Apple Music app?

Were you playing music over the air? Or music you've already downloaded? Your battery life seems to be pretty poor. Check the battery using coconut battery.

Yeah, I was just thinking last night that 10 seems to run very smooth. Too bad it took me this long to notice because of the battery.

Nothing has changed so far. I've had my phone unplugged for a little over 4 hours, used it for no more than 15-20 minutes, and somehow I have 3 hours of usage and 12% of the battery gone. I've now temporarily deleted the mail app, but I doubt that's going to help anything.

Try a clean restore and set it up as a new iPhone. That should fix standby drain issues.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Bad. Check your battery's mAh capacity using coconut battery. If it's really low, it's your battery. If it's not, it's iOS 10. Did you set it up as new?

Were you playing music over the air? Or music you've already downloaded? Your battery life seems to be pretty poor. Check the battery using coconut battery.

Try a clean restore and set it up as a new iPhone. That should fix standby drain issues.
Playing music already loaded onto the phone.

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014

Ugh, I may end up doing that, but I really don't want to :/

I'm back to thinking it might be getting better. I used my phone quite a bit over the past 14 hours and I've still got 46% left.

I called support today and they ran a diagnostics over the phone. The battery checked checked out healthy, but I think the rep said my usage was flagged. I was also given the spiel about all the additional features of iOS 10 potentially being the cause, but I don't accept that.

One of the things I love about all the iOS devices I've owned is their amazing battery life and standby times. My 5c ran for two years before I noticed a decrease. My 6S Plus was a lot more money, isn't even a year old, and I don't think it's too much to expect the battery to be rock solid for at least another year.

On a positive note, I will say (once again) that iOS 10 runs flawlessly, and I do think this issue is software related and fixable.

I might install the beta.

Last edited:

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
Same here. My old 5c and 6 worked perfectly for 2 years. It's only the 6s. 7 months later and it's lost 12% of its maximum charge.

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
You should stop recommending coconut for everyone since not every user has a Mac or Hackintosh at least... really there is no universal way of checking it?
Maybe Xcode (also for Windows) is not working this way?

Reactions: smorrissey

mazdamiata210

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
You should stop recommending coconut for everyone since not every user has a Mac or Hackintosh at least... really there is no universal way of checking it?

Battery life in the app store shows how much capacity your battery is at vs it's designed capacity.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014

That sounds like a failing battery. I would make a backup then go back to iOS 9.3.5 to see if drain and premature shutdown still happens to claim the battery warranty replacement.

starikarp

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2013
Your battery is doing pretty good. My 6s' maximum charge is 1515 mAh

How's your battery life on iOS 10?

My old iPhone 6 was perfectly fine 1.5 years later. The battery still held a good charge. It's just my 6s. A lot of people here aren't having issues with the iPhone 6, it's the 6s. I think their batteries lose its total capacity pretty fast. No other explanation. I used my 6 the same way I'm using the 6s right now. Same charging habits. And the end of the year, it's wear level was in the mid 90s, and my 6s is down to 88.

How's the battery life on iOS 9.3.5? Did you do a restore and set it up as new when you updated to iOS 10? How's your battery wear level on Coconut Battery?
I have iOS 10 and battery is very bad. I have disabled (turn off) almost everything but it is draining for reason which I do not know. On 9.3.5 works very good.
[doublepost=1474625470][/doublepost]
This worked for me!!

I did it and it is worse.

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
Installed the beta and so far stats are back on point!

image.png

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009

This app can't give charge cycles since iOS 10 removed the ability to do that, but it can give the battery wear.

https://appsto.re/us/zeBBab.i

dianp

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2016
São Paulo, Brazil
Hi guys, I am newbie here and i have followed your texts and I have the same problems!

Battery life is poor and somewhat strange for me on a 6S.

My 6S was bought in april 2016 - is new!

I already sent my iPhone to the apple support, but they dont fixed anything. They gave me back my my iPhone on iOS 9.3.5 - which was weird because I had sent the iPhone on iOS 10!

I tried using the iPhone 6S in version 9.3.5, but I could not because my backup is on iOS 10 and my apple watch is on whatcOS 3! That is, I was forced to use it on iOS 10.

I tried restore and reinstall iOS 10, with or without backup and the problems continued.

On the last night I went to sleep and the iPhone was 100% battery and in this moring was with 82%.

It's all off on my iPhone (background updates, moves, etc.) and the battery still going down. The most curious is that I have not used the iphone - he is only in standby!

I've tried talking to Apple support twitter and they ignore me.

we're in the same boat.
Thanks!

*sorry for my English guys
:(

deep1

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2011
Hi guys, I am newbie here and i have followed your texts and I have the same problems!

Battery life is poor and somewhat strange for me on a 6S.

My 6S was bought in april 2016 - is new!

I already sent my iPhone to the apple support, but they dont fixed anything. They gave me back my my iPhone on iOS 9.3.5 - which was weird because I had sent the iPhone on iOS 10!

I tried using the iPhone 6S in version 9.3.5, but I could not because my backup is on iOS 10 and my apple watch is on whatcOS 3! That is, I was forced to use it on iOS 10.

I tried restore and reinstall iOS 10, with or without backup and the problems continued.

On the last night I went to sleep and the iPhone was 100% battery and in this moring was with 82%.

It's all off on my iPhone (background updates, moves, etc.) and the battery still going down. The most curious is that I have not used the iphone - he is only in standby!

I've tried talking to Apple support twitter and they ignore me.

we're in the same boat.
Thanks!

*sorry for my English guys
:(

I can't help much but close all apps before you go to bed and see if it still drains overnight, i loose 0% with all apps closed. I know you are not meant to do but i do find, watsapp, fb, even messages now keep doing stuff in background.

Also 10.1 hopefully will fix this battery drain!

Rosto

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2012
I have iOS 10 and battery is very bad. I have disabled (turn off) almost everything but it is draining for reason which I do not know. On 9.3.5 works very good.
[doublepost=1474625470][/doublepost]

I did it and it is worse.

I'm sorry to hear that. Still going good here.

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
According to coconut battery, my total capacity went from 1500mAh to 1400mAh overnight. 87% capacity to 82% capacity.

dianp

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2016
São Paulo, Brazil
According to 'coconut battery' my iPhone have 92% capacity.
But I can't see the cycles of battery in the 'coconut battery' and I am with the last version 3.4. :(

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
According to 'coconut battery' my iPhone have 92% capacity.
But I can't see the cycles of battery in the 'coconut battery' and I am with the last version 3.4. :(
That's impossible. It should show as "load cycles".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.