Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mazdamiata210

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
Yeah, I was just thinking last night that 10 seems to run very smooth. Too bad it took me this long to notice because of the battery.

Nothing has changed so far. I've had my phone unplugged for a little over 4 hours, used it for no more than 15-20 minutes, and somehow I have over 3 hours of usage and 12% of the battery gone.

I just went to 10 to try to kill it completely and see how it is

DomC

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
I'm not 100% convinced that the Geniuses are quite as knowledgable as they used to be, nor for that matter the people on the shop floors.

Agree there. Genius today tried to take off my case before I could say I'd do it and he bent a plastic piece. Then did a battery test but did not know what the % drain overall on the battery meant and had to ask someone else. Had never heard of any battery issues with iOS 10 and his answer to my wanky battery issues was to do a restore. Very helpful.

Reactions: thewiccaman

mazdamiata210

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
Agree there. Genius today tried to take off my case before I could say I'd do it and he bent a plastic piece. Then did a battery test but did not know what the % drain overall on the battery meant and had to ask someone else. Had never heard of any battery issues with iOS 10 and his answer to my wanky battery issues was to do a restore. Very helpful.

They never heard of any issue you bring to them. It's always a surprise because Apple products are perfect.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Have you tried a restore (perhaps even without using a backup) to see what things would be like?

matt550

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2008
iOS 10 has been killing my iPhone 7 Plus. I'm getting 2-3 hours usage 8-10hrs standby and 15-20% battery life left.

Under the batter setting thing it says Safari has used 40% of my battery in the last 24 hours... with 1.1 hours on screen.

Genius Bar ran diagnostics on my battery and they say all is fine...

Any help or ideas?

JayMosEnvied

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2010
The battery has been fine on my 7 plus so far. Less than 24 hours of having it so I can't say for sure but as of now it's good. Doesn't drain crazy like my 6 plus.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Have you closed the Safari pages and closed the App? On a desktop this would likely be a runaway video in the browser so possibly similar here, what was the content you viewed for an hour - streaming video?

If it is content or software then of course your battery diags will be fine.
[doublepost=1474580525][/doublepost]
iOS 10 has been killing my iPhone 7 Plus. I'm getting 2-3 hours usage 8-10hrs standby and 15-20% battery life left.

Under the batter setting thing it says Safari has used 40% of my battery in the last 24 hours... with 1.1 hours on screen.

Genius Bar ran diagnostics on my battery and they say all is fine...

Any help or ideas?

matt550

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2008
Have you closed the Safari pages and closed the App? On a desktop this would likely be a runaway video in the browser so possibly similar here, what was the content you viewed for an hour - streaming video?

I've been viewing this page. No videos or anything. I always close the app when I'm done.

8rlee8

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2013
Why has nobody mentioned the fact that Messages is using a ton of battery in ios 10? Yesterday I was at 30% with 3hr, 30min usage and messages was at 67% usage, with 3.5 hrs background usage and 28 minutes of on screen time. There is something causing messages to run in the background. I'm really surprised nobody has noticed this in this thread. I restarted my phone last night and have much better battery life today. Today I'm at 57% with 5hr, 44min usage and 12hr, 7min standby.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Why has nobody mentioned the fact that Messages is using a ton of battery in ios 10? Yesterday I was at 30% with 3hr, 30min usage and messages was at 67% usage, with 3.5 hrs background usage and 28 minutes of on screen time. There is something causing messages to run in the background. I'm really surprised nobody has noticed this in this thread. I restarted my phone last night and have much better battery life today. Today I'm at 57% with 5hr, 44min usage and 12hr, 7min standby.
A good amount of discussion about it all has been going on at https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/imessage-causing-battery-drain-on-ios-10.1995600/ Some people experience it, others do not.

DomC

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Have you tried a restore (perhaps even without using a backup) to see what things would be like?

I did a restore from backup. No real change. If I get ambitious I might try a clean one but after having done it for other phones, damn what a PIA!

matt550

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2008

Attachments

• IMG_3414.PNG
    IMG_3414.PNG
    644.9 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_3415.PNG
    IMG_3415.PNG
    571.7 KB · Views: 148

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
So annoying with Apple and even AT&T when you ask them about all the problems they almost always tell you "I haven't heard of that"... Such BS.

I had two iP7's on order and cancelled both until they sort this stuff out. Was lured by the $650 promotion but I'd rather pay for a new phone than to have headaches I don't need.
  1. Issues with battery life
  2. Hissing sounds
  3. Intermittent freezing of the phone since iOS 10
Way too buggy for me on a phone that doesn't even have a form factor change.

My 7 Plus doesn't hiss or freeze. It's battery is about on par with what my 6s Plus was under iOS 9.2.5 (about 6 to 8 hours of usage depending on location and proximity to cell tower), which isn't that great, but it lasts me through the day unless I do something like game on it.

I restored my 6s Plus backup on to it about a week ago (got it release day).

monnyblack1

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2016
meridian ms

Hey I got the 7 plus and I also had a lot of battery drain but when I turned off Siri suggestion it got better

Attachments

• IMG_0042.PNG
    IMG_0042.PNG
    686.4 KB · Views: 171

^^BIGMac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2009
My 7 Plus doesn't hiss or freeze. It's battery is about on par with what my 6s Plus was under iOS 9.2.5 (about 6 to 8 hours of usage depending on location and proximity to cell tower), which isn't that great, but it lasts me through the day unless I do something like game on it.

I restored my 6s Plus backup on to it about a week ago (got it release day).
So from what I have been hearing and reading it's a total crap shoot whether you may or may not get a "good iPhone 7"?

If this was a $25 item I'm OK with it. It doesn't work I throw it in the trash. But an $800 item is a different animal. I don't want to buy an $800 device and "hope" mine doesn't exhibit issues that will cause me hours and hours of trouble shooting. And to top it off I may or may not be able to fix it.

My iPhone 6 running 9.3.5 works perfectly. The battery life is great. It never freezes and I have never experienced any "hissing" of any sort. Of course I don't have many childish Emoji which I guess is OK.

i've had iPhones from Day 1 and never had issues like those being reported. It's flat out ridiculous. What kind of lame testing does Apple do?

I'm sure Apple will figure this out eventually and frankly I'm a little mad at myself for getting sucked in to iOS 10 and the first release. Also I usually wait a minimum of one month before purchasing their new hardware to avoid things like this. Because of the AT&T promotion I jumped on the band wagon way too quickly. So, shame on me.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So from what I have been hearing and reading it's a total crap shoot whether you may or may not get a "good iPhone 7"?

If this was a $25 item I'm OK with it. It doesn't work I throw it in the trash. But an $800 item is a different animal. I don't want to buy an $800 device and "hope" mine doesn't exhibit issues that will cause me hours and hours of trouble shooting. And to top it off I may or may not be able to fix it.

My iPhone 6 running 9.3.5 works perfectly. The battery life is great. It never freezes and I have never experienced any "hissing" of any sort. Of course I don't have many childish Emoji which I guess is OK.

i've had iPhones from Day 1 and never had issues like those being reported. It's flat out ridiculous. What kind of lame testing does Apple do?

I'm sure Apple will figure this out eventually and frankly I'm a little mad at myself for getting sucked in to iOS 10 and the first release. Also I usually wait a minimum of one month before purchasing their new hardware to avoid things like this. Because of the AT&T promotion I jumped on the band wagon way too quickly. So, shame on me.
Since you have an iPhone 6 that you are happy with, just to put it all in context, when iPhone 6 came out there were also plenty of people complaining about all kinds of things about the iPhone 6 phones they got. It happens pretty much with every new model pretty much all the time. Same applies to basically any new iOS version. There will always be some with some issues, while there will also be a lot of people without those issues or perhaps just some other minor ones here and there (again, as is the case with pretty much any product at any point).

Reactions: Apple_Robert

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
95% battery left at 8PM here. I recharged the iphone 6s at 11AM at full 100%, use was pretty moderate just some web surfing but 4g was on most of the time.

I'm back on ios 9.3.5 obviously.

On iOS 10 i would be at 80% at this hour pretty much.

Reactions: ^^BIGMac

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
Haven't noticed any change (iPhone 6s, iPhone SE) from iOS 9 myself but I haven't logged it either

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
On my ipad air 2 i noticed a weird behavior, i'm on ios10 there and planning to keep it. Sometimes batter drains faster but others doesn't (batter life seem to be better than ios 9) doing pretty much the same stuff safari surfing, Google play newstand, Flipboard and youtube. Gonna keep observing the behaviour

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
Since you have an iPhone 6 that you are happy with, just to put it all in context, when iPhone 6 came out there were also plenty of people complaining about all kinds of things about the iPhone 6 phones they got. It happens pretty much with every new model pretty much all the time. Same applies to basically any new iOS version. There will always be some with some issues, while there will also be a lot of people without those issues or perhaps just some other minor ones here and there (again, as is the case with pretty much any product at any point).

Yep. To put things in perspective, when I got my 6s Plus with iOS 9 it had all kinds of problems, including freezing and the like. Set it up as new (first time I had to do so since iOS 3) because Apple refused to help if I didn't and that didn't help either. Had it replaced and it did the same thing. Didn't work what I'd consider near perfectly until iOS 9.3 came out 6 months later. On a side note I also had to set up my iPad Air 2 as new as well because of the iOS 9 Game Center bug. That's not even including the update Apple pushed out that broke the phone functionality of iPhones. iOS 9 was one of the buggiest releases there was.

Compared to that so far iOS 10 on my 7 Plus is working very well. Though on my iPad, screen rotation periodically stops working, requiring a restart to fix.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.