Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GrumpyTrucker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2014
Modern batteries do not like to be "formatted" in 100 - 0 - 100% cycle. Only bad Chinese parts for cheap phones need it because parts on battery loses information on whole available battery.
However it's good to once a month do full cycle 100% - 5/10 % and 100%.

Never ever let battery die for so long. Chemistry effects of creating crystals will kill its efficiency.

Cheers. Battery at 17% now. Will stick it on charge soon. Nearly sleep time anyhow :)

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
This is the "new" 6S Plus the Apple Store swapped mine (broken screen not battery related issue) for yesterday. Spent most of the night streaming podcasts, listening audiobooks, some internet browsing, and some app based stuff. Was unplugged at roughy 10:15pm last night and it's about 2pm the following day now. iOS 10.0.1 not the 10.1 beta. Might get the 6 Plus battery replaced at some point.
View attachment 657021

Quick question for those in the know: what's the best way to treat a new battery? Drain it to zero once then charge it back up but never let it get to zero again? Be good to try and have this last as long as possible.
That seems to be pretty good. But it's a Plus and you've been playing music mostly. Check the battery's mAh level using coconut battery just for kicks :)

I'd let it run till it turns off. Just once, just to let it calibrate the battery gauge.

GrumpyTrucker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2014
That seems to be pretty good. But it's a Plus and you've been playing music mostly. Check the battery's mAh level using coconut battery just for kicks :)

I'd let it run till it turns off. Just once, just to let it calibrate the battery gauge.

Not sure I want to risk the potential news Coconut might give me this time :eek:

roccobladr

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2011
This is the "new" 6S Plus the Apple Store swapped mine (broken screen not battery related issue) for yesterday. Spent most of the night streaming podcasts, listening audiobooks, some internet browsing, and some app based stuff. Was unplugged at roughy 10:15pm last night and it's about 2pm the following day now. iOS 10.0.1 not the 10.1 beta. Might get the 6 Plus battery replaced at some point.
View attachment 657021

Quick question for those in the know: what's the best way to treat a new battery? Drain it to zero once then charge it back up but never let it get to zero again? Be good to try and have this last as long as possible.
wow! I'm jealous. I did a full drain on my replacement 6S and I topped out at 5hr 43 mins usage and 15 hr 44min standby and I thought that was pretty good.

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
wow! I'm jealous. I did a full drain on my replacement 6S and I topped out at 5hr 43 mins usage and 15 hr 44min standby and I thought that was pretty good.
6s or 6s Plus? Did you restore from a backup or set it up as new?

GrumpyTrucker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2014
Lol. What if they gave you a refurbished phone!

It's almost a certainty I got a refurb. They're usually as good as new so I have no issues with that. Considering it's a 64GB I was having swapped out I was kinda hoping there'd be none left in the supply chain and I'd get a 128 :D:D

CheesePuff

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
Southwest Florida, USA
Modern batteries do not like to be "formatted" in 100 - 0 - 100% cycle. Only bad Chinese parts for cheap phones need it because parts on battery loses information on whole available battery (microchip)
However it's good to once a month do full cycle 100% - 5/10 % and 100%.

Never ever let battery die for so long. Chemistry effects of creating crystals will kill its efficiency.

Apple says you do not ever need to do that: http://www.apple.com/batteries/why-lithium-ion/

Reactions: GrumpyTrucker

GrumpyTrucker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2014
That's funny because when my old phone had battery issues and they thought it was software related, they told me to do the draining every other week and also shut my phone off and on every 2 days.

I'm not 100% convinced that the Geniuses are quite as knowledgable as they used to be, nor for that matter the people on the shop floors. I was in a store yesterday and no one could answer a bloke who came in asking if the iPad Air had the same "rest finger to unlock" setting as the newer iPads to bring the behaviour back to how it was before iOS 10. That functionality is linked to TouchID so it stands to reason the Air doesn't have it.

They used to be staffed full of Apple nerds (I mean that affectionately) but now a lot of the staff (certainly that I've encountered) are merely sales people with a script and a pitch.
[doublepost=1474552873][/doublepost]
Apple says you do not ever need to do that: http://www.apple.com/batteries/why-lithium-ion/

Thank you. I was looking for that page earlier. All I could find was the page that tells you how to maximise battery life by turning down brightness etc.

Rosto

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2012
in witch status are the location services in your iphone with battery life problem ??

The worst thing to drain the iphone battery are the location services!!!
Make a reset of this Settings/General/Reset/Location & Privacy
And your battery life it will be normally back....;)

This worked for me!!

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
I did a power off, wait, then power back on and have been running, my first full day was yesterday and the battery life seemed better, it did not die on my in the evening and still had a 4-5% charge by bedtime. and no charging during the day like i had needed prior.

Previously on my iPhone 6 with iOS10 it would drop quickly and sometimes shut off on its own between 5-8% battery and once/twice did a weird shut off between 12-18%

seems better, will keep watching it though.

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
Your battery is doing pretty good. My 6s' maximum charge is 1515 mAh

How's the battery life on iOS 9.3.5? Did you do a restore and set it up as new when you updated to iOS 10? How's your battery wear level on Coconut Battery?

For me it is pretty good, not great but decent. Yes i set it up as new when i updated to ios 10, clean install then i install the apps (no backups involved). I don't use a mac so no coconut here but last night i downloaded this app: Battery life, my battery wear level is 0%. 1690mh here.
[doublepost=1474561796][/doublepost]
Is it really specifically 14 days?
[doublepost=1474521480][/doublepost]

No but some sites who track this mentioned that period, between 7 and 14 days generally, at then end of the day only Apple knows.

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
For me it is pretty good, not great but decent. Yes i set it up as new when i updated to ios 10, clean install then i install the apps (no backups involved). I don't use a mac so no coconut here but last night i downloaded this app: Battery life, my battery wear level is 0%. 1690mh here.
Is it better than when you were on iOS 10? That's surprising how it says 0% battery wear.

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
Is it better than when you were on iOS 10? That's surprising how it says 0% battery wear.

Sure it is for me. When i was on ios 10 pretty much battery dropped 1% each 2 mins like some other people have mentioned on this thread also...

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
Sure it is for me. When i was on ios 10 pretty much battery dropped 1% each 2 mins like some other people have mentioned on this thread also...
Damn. I wish I could go back to iOS 9, but then I won't be able to use my Apple Watch

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
Damn. I wish I could go back to iOS 9, but then I won't be able to use my Apple Watch

I understand, but being fair i'm not planning to stay on ios 9 i'm gonna move to ios 10 as soon they fix this bug only rest to wait for both of us.

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
I understand, but being fair i'm not planning to stay on ios 9 i'm gonna move to ios 10 as soon they fix this bug only rest to wait for both of us.
I hear iOS 10.1 is doing pretty good. I might get the beta. Just to see if it will improve battery life.

^^BIGMac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2009
So annoying with Apple and even AT&T when you ask them about all the problems they almost always tell you "I haven't heard of that"... Such BS.

I had two iP7's on order and cancelled both until they sort this stuff out. Was lured by the $650 promotion but I'd rather pay for a new phone than to have headaches I don't need.
  1. Issues with battery life
  2. Hissing sounds
  3. Intermittent freezing of the phone since iOS 10
Way too buggy for me on a phone that doesn't even have a form factor change.

martin2345uk

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
Essex
Currently my 2 year old iPhone 6 shows the following, iOS 10.0.1:

Battery 11%
Usage 5 hrs 38 min
Standby 12 hrs 54 min
Is that average? Or bad?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
On my iPhone 6, the battery completely dies just after 4 hours (from a full charge) from playing my iTunes Playlist. My memory may be incorrect but, I don't recall the battery life being so short on iOS 9. Anyone else experience what they believe to be short battery life using the Apple Music app?

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
I would love to know... I miss the fast animations of 10 but with the 9.3.5 signing window probably coming to a close very very soon I don't want to risk the update and be stuck

Yeah, I was just thinking last night that 10 seems to run very smooth. Too bad it took me this long to notice because of the battery.

Nothing has changed so far. I've had my phone unplugged for a little over 4 hours, used it for no more than 15-20 minutes, and somehow I have 3 hours of usage and 12% of the battery gone. I've now temporarily deleted the mail app, but I doubt that's going to help anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.