Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

minato21

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2015
My battery life after a day with my SE. Seems to be decent but still gonna downgrade tonight and see if there's a difference.

Attachments

• IMG_0085.PNG
    IMG_0085.PNG
    106.3 KB · Views: 238

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
My battery life after a day with my SE. Seems to be decent but still gonna downgrade tonight and see if there's a difference.
That looks pretty good. Did you do a clean restore and set it up as a new iPhone?

throwthedice

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2015
I'm on 9.3.2 and I'm planning to upgrade to 10 over the weekend. I'm guessing this is a dumb question but can someone tell me why should one do a fresh install?

Wouldn't you lose your apps, app data (like WhatsApp chats for example) and any settings you may have modified?
Is it really worth the effort?

Last edited:

cableguy84

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2015
I'm on 9.3.2 and I'm planning to upgrade to 10 over the weekend. I'm guessing this is a dumb question but can someone tell me why should one do a fresh install?

Wouldn't you lose your apps, app data (like WhatsApp chats for example) and any settings you may have modified?
It's it really worth the effort?

No

We pay hundreds of dollars for these phones, then people say "o no you have to install as new".

Its a joke dont bother

deep1

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2011

Don't waste your time and data, it doesn't help at all.
[doublepost=1474462815][/doublepost]So i calibrated my battery last night and great improvement this morning, i also noticed it took me 1hr 30 mins to discharge last 10% of battery on 6s plus!

Have raise to wake active btw!

Attachments

• IMG_0468.PNG
    IMG_0468.PNG
    217.4 KB · Views: 194

Whoakapi

Cancelled
May 26, 2010

It's a kneejerk response from wannabe tech supporters. Same as "Have you tried to reinstall Windows".

Just ignore it.

Reactions: cableguy84

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
Well, when people have battery life issues, usually doing a clean install fixes it. The whole point of doing a clean install is to avoid those issues in the first place. I personally like to do fresh installs with every major iOS update. I've noticed the phone to run slightly faster and smoother. It's not a myth. It's really true.

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2008
Well, when people have battery life issues, usually doing a clean install fixes it. The whole point of doing a clean install is to avoid those issues in the first place. I personally like to do fresh installs with every major iOS update. I've noticed the phone to run slightly faster and smoother. It's not a myth. It's really true.

It's fine until you start adding all your apps back, and then find that the phone is running the same as it did before the clean install.

I just did a complete restore on my device because I am having Bluetooth problems. I didn't install one app, waled to my car, and the same problems plagued me. I know this isn't the same situation that the poster was asking, but still...

With that said, I don't do the Delta updates (over the air). I prefer installing from iTunes where the whole OS is downloaded to my computer. Make me feel better doing it that way :)

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
I usually do the delta updates OTA. Although a lot have complained that it destroys their battery life, it's been fine for me.

MistrSynistr

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014
It's a kneejerk response from wannabe tech supporters. Same as "Have you tried to reinstall Windows".

Just ignore it.

what a bizarre thing to have to do, clean install everytime a new OS comes out so you literally lose all the stuff that makes it your computer, lol.

Reactions: cableguy84

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Just ignore it.
Plenty of times resetting something or other or even reinstalling can resolve various oddities. It doesn't mean it resolves all issues or all the time, but can be something worthwhile to try for someone that is having some issues that aren't necessarily widespread things.
[doublepost=1474468796][/doublepost]

what a bizarre thing to have to do, clean install everytime a new OS comes out so you literally lose all the stuff that makes it your computer, lol.
Not really something you need to do to upgrade. More if you have some issues and might be trying to resolve them. (There's also the whole concept of a backup that could usually be used to restore when reinstalling.)

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I've just hooked up my 6S Plus into Coconut Battery and I'm shocked. Apparently it's at 85.6% of design capacity after 275 cycles (379 days old). I'm really starting to think there might be some truth (even if only a little) in the thoughts that Apple deliberately programme their batteries so that by the time a new phone comes out your current one will take such a hit on the battery life that you think "sod it, I'll get a new one". Yes I'm paranoid, but it doesn't always mean they're not out to get you :)

Sorry, just not true. My two iPhone 6 phones are two years old and still in the high 90% range for capacity. My charge cycles on those phones is a lot over than yours, but that's the point. These batteries wear with use and what you're seeing is just chemistry, not a conspiracy.
[doublepost=1474475758][/doublepost]
Variance. Batteries are chemical things. Capacity measurements are estimates, combining and estimated original capacity and sn estimated current capacity just isnt going to be accurate to any great degree. What IS known and accurately measured is the degradation of the Li technology.

That and the fact that some people's charging habits are different. Constantly running the battery from 10% to 100% to 10% and so on is going to wear a Li battery faster than someone who can manage to hover in the midrange (say, 30% to 80%). I recognize that the second scenario may not be realistic for a lot of users.

GrumpyTrucker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2014
Took my 6S in to have its sceeen replaced today but didn't get to ask about doing a test on the battery. Apparently the phone failed a "calibration" so they swapped out the whole phone for the price of the screen replacement. The 6 has been behaving better today for a two year old phone so I'm going to let that slide a while.

2ilent8cho

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2016
Been on iOS 10 a week now, as much as i love it over all, the battery life on my SE is considerably worse. I would typically have 50%+ left when i would put my iPhone on charge at bed time. Since iOS 10 i'm down to 10%ish most nights. I've got another 2 hours before i go sleep and i am on 21% :(

JDabney24

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2014
My battery life is worse on my 6s Plus running iOS 10 than it was on iOS 9. I would see my battery not drop to 99% until it hit anywhere between 38-45 minutes of usage (not standby) consistently. Now, I'm lucky if I get to 28 minutes of usage before it drops to 99% from 100%. Every percent drop after that is a rapid decrease as well. I hope they can fix this soon.

Attachments

• IMG_0012.PNG
    IMG_0012.PNG
    239.4 KB · Views: 155

deep1

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2011
Seems like 10.1 beta 1 will fix battery issues, I updated to ios 10.1 beta 1 and for continuous use of more than 2 hrs of video, browsing etc, i am only down from 54% to 37%.

Still it is too early to tell and ios 10 beta 7 had great battery life, time will tell.

Maybe someone can see as per previous posts cpu usage diff between ios 10.0.1 and 10.1.

Reactions: addamas

raycopeland

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2016
Do you guys maybe think apple is purposefully destroying battery life on the GM to get people to purchase the 7? Haha

Yes always appears to be 2 years old the phone stops as for the battery drain I agree at present I change my phone it shows 50% jumps to 20% turns off like the battery has died

starikarp

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2013
Hi!

I have installed System Activity Monitor which shows Battery Capacity 1715 mAh.
Today I installed on iMc 11,1 version of Coconut Battery which autr of the app sent me a link (coconutBattery_3_3_.zip) and I did run and it shows me:
Maximum Charge 1631 mAh
Design Capacity 1690 mAh
Load Cycles 66
iPhone 6s 8,1 model age 303

I didn't ask developer if is okay for iOS 10.

What is your opinion, please?

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
Right now i'm wondering if Apple will dare to stop signing ios 9.3.5 next tuesday (14 days) when ios 10 has this battery issues. Today i just downgraded from ios 10 to 9, Apple is still signing 9.3.5 but next tuesday will be 14 days and they use to stop signinig old firmwares after that period...mmmm

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
RE: restoring vs. fresh install. Fresh install should be a last resort. I carried an OS X installation from Tiger to Snow Leopard and an ios installation from ios 3 to ios 6 without ill effects. I started fresh with the former because of a drive failure and because I could (selective restore from Time Machine) and the latter to rid myself of possible remnants of jailbreaking. Mostly, Apple does a great job with upgrades and fresh installs are low effort (but potentially high impact) shortcut to troubleshooting.

My zero point zero two dollars.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.