Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yep-sure

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
I've just hooked up my 6S Plus into Coconut Battery and I'm shocked. Apparently it's at 85.6% of design capacity after 275 cycles (379 days old). I'm really starting to think there might be some truth (even if only a little) in the thoughts that Apple deliberately programme their batteries so that by the time a new phone comes out your current one will take such a hit on the battery life that you think "sod it, I'll get a new one". Yes I'm paranoid, but it doesn't always mean they're not out to get you :)

It seems there a few of us in a similar boat. I'm at about ~83% of original capacity after 278 cycles. My brother's 2 year old iPhone 6 is still at 91% after 445 cycles!

My warranty expires on the 13th of October so I'm going to try and get to a Genius in the next week or so. Expecting to be told "everything looks normal, those battery apps aren't accurate, we don't recommend that you use them".

GrumpyTrucker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2014
It seems there a few of us in a similar boat. I'm at about ~83% of original capacity after 278 cycles. My brother's 2 year old iPhone 6 is still at 91% after 445 cycles!

My warranty expires on the 13th of October so I'm going to try and get to a Genius in the next week or so. Expecting to be told "everything looks normal, those battery apps aren't accurate, we don't recommend that you use them".

Yeah, sounds about right. I've actually got a Genius appointment tomorrow to replace my screen. Might have them run some diagnostics on both phones while I'm there. Even though they're both outside the 12 months, I'll be trying for a free battery out of them if possible. 12 months is in no way reasonable for a phone to lose almost 20% of its designed charged. And 2 years isn't exactly optimal either. Not for £800 phones without user replaceable batteries.

roccobladr

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2011
Just got back from the Apple Store. They replaced my 6S due to the battery being bad. It only started having horrible battery life with iOS 10, but they ran diagnostics on it and said the battery was bad and immediately swapped out the entire device. I had 4 days left on my warranty, so figured I should have them check it out, and I'm happy I did.
Same with me! I just got back from apple store and they did the diagnostics and threw a red flag immediately. They said they would replace the battery and it would take 1.5 hours. I asked if they wouldn't mind just swapping out the device so I didn't have to wait, but they couldn't. So I walked around the mall and grabbed a brewski and came back and they ended up swapping out the entire device anyway because apparently "the battery swap in my device would have been too dangerous". Not sure what that means but I'm happy I got a new device at least and hoping that there aren't any more issues. Might hold off on iOS 10 for now..

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
Standby battery life does not seem to be affected on iPhone 5 going from iOS 9 to 10.

It seems like the higher drain happens when I'm on WiFi. I don't feel any difference when I'm on LTE.

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
I've just hooked up my 6S Plus into Coconut Battery and I'm shocked. Apparently it's at 85.6% of design capacity after 275 cycles (379 days old). I'm really starting to think there might be some truth (even if only a little) in the thoughts that Apple deliberately programme their batteries so that by the time a new phone comes out your current one will take such a hit on the battery life that you think "sod it, I'll get a new one". Yes I'm paranoid, but it doesn't always mean they're not out to get you :)
Same here! I'm at 88% with 250 odd charge cycles. Absolutely unacceptable! I don't think this happened on its own though. I think iOS 10 did something. Maybe it's programmed to not fully charge the battery. Or maybe it thinks the battery's mAh capacity is low, and reports it. I don't know. All I know is, it all happened after iOS 10.

Reactions: yep-sure

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
My friend with his 3 year old iPhone 5s just checked his battery. It's at 94% after 642 charge cycles! He's still on iOS 9. I can't ask him to do the before and after test, because he's not gonna update anytime soon lol. Heard too many horror stories

To everyone out there who got a new battery/new phone, how's the battery life on iOS 10? Improved?

yep-sure

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
My friend with his 3 year old iPhone 5s just checked his battery. It's at 94% after 642 charge cycles! He's still on iOS 9. I can't ask him to do the before and after test, because he's not gonna update anytime soon lol. Heard too many horror stories

To everyone out there who got a new battery/new phone, how's the battery life on iOS 10? Improved?
How's yours going with Raise to Wake disabled?

Reactions: Nisaja

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Same here! I'm at 88% with 250 odd charge cycles. Absolutely unacceptable! I don't think this happened on its own though. I think iOS 10 did something. Maybe it's programmed to not fully charge the battery. Or maybe it thinks the battery's mAh capacity is low, and reports it. I don't know. All I know is, it all happened after iOS 10.

Circa 20% degradation over approx 500 charge cycles, its the nature of Li battery technology. Cry 'unacceptable' if you wish but as they say 'its just physics'...

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
Circa 20% degradation over approx 500 charge cycles, its the nature of Li battery technology. Cry 'unacceptable' if you wish but as they say 'its just physics'...
Then how come my friends old 5s only lost 6% after 760 charge cycles? Losing 12% from just 250 charge cycles is way too much.

Reactions: yep-sure

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Variance. Batteries are chemical things. Capacity measurements are estimates, combining and estimated original capacity and sn estimated current capacity just isnt going to be accurate to any great degree. What IS known and accurately measured is the degradation of the Li technology.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
Since i force restarted (homebutton + on/off button) and then shut the phone (6S+) off and turned it back on (did that few times), kept it plugged in a charger the whole night, the phone has been working well.

Before that the phone ate the battery and was warm everytime you activated the screen, literally. I didnt change anything in my phone, so it couldnt be any service, widget or system behaviour either that was causing it - other than stucked at that moment if any...

So if you havent tried force starting it, try it, and keep the phone in a charger the whole day.

I quess there is something odd going when the battery drains and/or ios10 is calculating/indicating/showing the data of the battery wrong when they run their diagnostic test in a store.

HeyKatie

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2012
6hrs of usage on my new SE and phone is at 4% I have no clue if that's good or not. I just came back to Apple from Android.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
6hrs of usage on my new SE and phone is at 4% I have no clue if that's good or not. I just came back to Apple from Android.

What usage? And importantly, in a good or bad wifi and cell coverage? Apple usage specs are more useful to compare models than to replicate any individual experience...

HeyKatie

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2012
What usage? And importantly, in a good or bad wifi and cell coverage? Apple usage specs are more useful to compare models than to replicate any individual experience...

Texting, social media and a few games (no longer than 5 mins)

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
So you restored it to iOS 10 and set it up as a new iPhone? And battery life is still bad?

Check your battery's capacity using Coconut Battery on the Mac.

HeyKatie

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2012
So you restored it to iOS 10 and set it up as a new iPhone? And battery life is still bad?

Check your battery's capacity using Coconut Battery on the Mac.

Phone came with 9.3.3 and then I updated to 10. Thanks for the tip I'll do that in the morning and post my results.

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
Phone came with 9.3.3 and then I updated to 10. Thanks for the tip I'll do that in the morning and post my results.
Like others have said, battery life usually gets better after a couple of days. But since you set it up as a new iPhone, it should be pretty good right out of the box. Yeah do post up your results. That'll tell if your battery is bad or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.