Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
I have been pretty impressed with my iPhone 5s battery. (This is a development phone without Cell service):

IMG_0002.PNG

deep1

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2011
I am out on vacation and using my 6s plus a lot, mails, location etc and battery was dead yesterday by 2 pm , ( fully charged at 6 pm).
Today i put on low power mode and i am @ 56% after taking off charge more than 9 hrs. Used for lots of pic, ,calls browsing etc.

So not sure if hey siri is causing battery as I don't have anything else on like background refresh, push mail etc.

Anyway seems like people are getting good battery on 7 , can't wait to get mine 7+ next week!

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
So it proves your theory which says that hard reset can help with battery.

My today result was 7 h 20m usage time by a trip I had where cellular range was terrible (1-3 bars mostly) 100% - 12% so it's quite good and probably better than iOS 9 on my SE.

Internet browsing, Tapatalk, Podcasts offline, Music, YouTube... about 4h SoT with 3G/LTE all the time

About DFU I just opened a connection with iTunes, phone showed icon with iTunes and cable... how else can it be named ? Pre DFU? Mark me, on Android it was easier anyway (God Bless TWRP )

A hard restart will often fix most issues - ie, runaway services, memory leaks, or whatever as everything reboots and starts new.

I do wish iOS could be flashed like a Nandroid backup sometimes - would sure make things easier.

FrozenInferno

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2013
My 5S had awful battery life at the end, like maybe 4-5 hours tops, then I upgraded to my SE and get close to 10 hours usage on 9.3.5. Yeah, I'm not touching iOS 10 until this battery drain is addressed.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    99.5 KB · Views: 202

GrumpyTrucker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2014
My 6S Plus was absolutely fine throughout the beta period but the day before the iPhone 7 announcement I broke the screen and so a few days later I restored a backup onto my old 6 Plus. Battery life has been horrible. I even put it into DFU and restored that way. Yesterday it lasted approx 4 hours from 100% to 15% at which point it turned itself off. Usage in that time was mostly streaming some podcasts, a few messages, 10 mins on Facebook. Under iOS 9 this phone would regularly last approx 12 hours with heavy streaming, 3 hours or more of calls, and some internet time, and still have about 25% left.

abhiuppi

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2016
Bhilwara, India
Worse ? No.. I don't notice it. What I do notice is that I have this feeling a lot more:

Wait, didn't I leave the house an hour ago with 95% ? or 75 % ? .. surely it can't be 45 % now..

And then that 45% lasts me throughout the whole night and I don't charge it until the next day ...

What I also notice with the 6splus is that the battery around 10% really is a reliable 10% Probably because it's new, but with ios9 or ios10, it doesn't get sucked down in 10 minutes to 5 and then poof dead.

The ONE thing I did notice with iOS10 specifically is that if you have say 12% left and you load either iMessage or the camera, within a minute it dropped to 8% and then 6% .. if i stop those 2 apps, that 6% lasts me quite some time.

Either the apps make it recalculate an estimate or they're just terrible at memory management somehow.
I'm facing the same issue. Sometimes 100% lasts for 30 mins even if i play games and sometimes in nominal uses my battery goes to 20% from 100% in 4-5 hours.

yep-sure

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
So I think I've found the problem on the 6S - Raise to wake.

I've turned it off, now my battery life seems to be relatively normal again. I'm on 44% with 5 hours 39 mins usage. Listening to music most of the day, with a few messages and a bit of browsing. No random 10% drops in seconds, no more put the phone down, pick it up 5 mins later with 20% shaved off.

Knock on wood, but I think it's much better.

EDIT: Also checked my battery health on the Battery Life app, I'm on 13% wear. My brother's 2 year old iPhone 6 is only at 3%. Interesting.

Last edited:
Reactions: aston177

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
So I think I've found the problem on the 6S - Raise to wake.

I've turned it off, now my battery life seems to be relatively normal again. I'm on 44% with 5 hours 39 mins usage. Listening to music most of the day, with a few messages and a bit of browsing. No random 10% drops in seconds, no more put the phone down, pick it up 5 mins later with 20% shaved off.

Knock on wood, but I think it's much better.
Interesting. I didn't wanna turn it off because I thought it's using the low power M9 motion co-processor. I guess it uses battery too. I'm turning it off right away. Will report back! :)

Btw, why don't you try checking your phone battery's mah level using Coconut Battery? Mine has lost almost 200 mah from its design capacity. Starting to think that's why my battery life is crap. But then again, it was a lot better on iOS 9, so I'm definitely turning off raise to wake.

Reactions: yep-sure

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
To everyone out there suffering from bad battery life, check your phones actual battery capacity. Forget iBackUpBot and the Battery app on the AppStore. Use Coconut Battery. It'll accurately show what the current capacity is. Mine 6s is at 1515 mah, with only 250 odd charge cycles.

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
You need to get the Coconut Battery Mac app. Plug your phone in, click on the new iOS tab and it'll show everything. The "Battery Life" iOS app is inaccurate.

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
There we go! That's a little too much. I'm in the same boat :( mine at 250 charge cycles with 89% remaining (1515 mAh).

That's probably why my battery is dying so fast :(

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
Yeah! I just turned it off. It's currently charging back up to 100%. Let's see how it goes once it's done charging :)

Reactions: yep-sure

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Can anyone tell me why the coconut app (only for Mac IIRC) can show battery cycles while some of the others like Battery Life that used to be able to access it cannot? This is frustrating as I don't have a Mac.

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
Can anyone tell me why the coconut app (only for Mac IIRC) can show battery cycles while some of the others like Battery Life that used to be able to access it cannot? This is frustrating as I don't have a Mac.
You can get iBackUpBot for Windows. It'll show battery cycles :)

Reactions: addamas

mazdamiata210

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
This has nothing to do with battery cycles lol 9.3.5 is fine and 10 is bugged... What does battery cycle have to do with that? It's obvious it's a software issue, not hardware related.

Reactions: smorrissey

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
It must be software issue, but it's based on number of cycles probably. For sure they messed up with how the system operate with battery status and accessories since I saw few posts which show that their cable is no longer charging on iOS 10.

For me hopefully both 15 cm leather covered cable and charging stand for USB are working fine on SE. God Bless AliExpress

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
This has nothing to do with battery cycles lol 9.3.5 is fine and 10 is bugged... What does battery cycle have to do with that? It's obvious it's a software issue, not hardware related.
Hello fellow Mazda fan To be honest, the same happened to my iPhone 5. After updating to iOS 7, battery life was terrible. It would even turn off at 20%. After checking the battery mAh levels, it was drastically lower than when it was on iOS 6. Strange but true. My guess is, the new OS doesn't fully charge the battery. Or it sees the battery having a lower capacity than it actually has. It's doing something. I'm sure about that

mazdamiata210

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
Hello fellow Mazda fan To be honest, the same happened to my iPhone 5. After updating to iOS 7, battery life was terrible. It would even turn off at 20%. After checking the battery mAh levels, it was drastically lower than when it was on iOS 6. Strange but true. My guess is, the new OS doesn't fully charge the battery. Or it sees the battery having a lower capacity than it actually has. It's doing something. I'm sure about that

Right but it comes down to software, nothing to do with the hardware since it was fine on a previous OS... Even more so that on early betas it was great, and now it's horrible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.