Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Applerx

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2015
I noticed my battery drains significantly faster when I have the automatic time zone setting enabled. But generally my batter lasts pretty long, 9h usage with 29h standby (iPhone SE).

Looney01

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2015
My battery went from 100% to 20% in 2 hours. 6s is crazy hot. This blows. Hope iOS 10.0.2 is released ASAP.

CheesePuff

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
Southwest Florida, USA
Only anecdotal data so far but since upgrading from 6s Plus from 9.3.5 to 10.0.1 on Tuesday at lunch time, I believe the battery life is now improving and not as bad as it was the first couple of days.

An assumption is besides the usual indexing and other tasks that run with an iOS upgrade is that the new Photos app features like face detection was indexing the thousands of photos I had.

For the hell of it I submitted feedback to Apple as well: http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

minato21

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2015
I noticed my battery drains significantly faster when I have the automatic time zone setting enabled. But generally my batter lasts pretty long, 9h usage with 29h standby (iPhone SE).
Do you have snapchat/facebook/messenger installed? My SE will only get 6 hours usage on average, while in iOS 9 I could get 7-8 hours before it died

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA
f7b1b66d9832e40296d216d50a11e91e.jpg

It's not too bad.

roccobladr

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2011
Battery life in my 6S is horrible! My phone will shut off with 20-30% battery left and not then back on til I plug it in. I'm averaging about 3 hours or so now. Extremely frustrating. Going to Genius Bar later this week.

Reactions: Aquaporin

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
Some says that the battery drain was caused by indexing etc, but why indexing etc dont have any effect on air2 or why is it indexing with ios10 but never seen it happening before... and why the indexing starts whenever i activate the screen... sounds like too easy answer to blame indexing - then all devices should be affected, right?

Reactions: yep-sure

aston177

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2014
Did anyone notice that after restarting the phone, the battery usage stats disappear? It didn't happen on iOS 9.

My battery life is pretty bad too. But with time, it's getting better. Still too early to tell.

Roque1128

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2011
Did anyone notice that after restarting the phone, the battery usage stats disappear? It didn't happen on iOS 9.

My battery life is pretty bad too. But with time, it's getting better. Still too early to tell.
My battery stats have always disappeared including with iOS 9.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Yeah, noticed that too.

They used to disappear if you did a hard reset, but if you just powered off and then powered on (basically a restart) then they used to stay.

Reactions: Morac

aston177

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2014
Yeah, noticed that too.

They used to disappear if you did a hard reset, but if you just powered off and then powered on (basically a restart) then they used to stay.

Exactly! It would only disappear after a hard reset. Not from just restarting it.

In my case, it's only after a hard reset. Just restarting would still show the battery stats.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
I think the battery in my 6s+ is better now. 1h45 min (wifi/web/tapatalk) and there is still 85% left the battery. The phone isnt too warm anymore.

I force restarted my phone then shut it down normally. Did that three times. Then put it to the charger and let it to charge the phone fully.

But i quess i could have danced the hocus pocus dance aswell to get the same results.

Edit. usage 2h30min and 75% left. Everything seems to be normal again.

Edit2. usage 6h 50min (on screen: 4hours 20min, almost the rest is used by spotify), standby 9h30min... There is still 36% left. Seems to be ok for now.

Last edited:

Madmarshall88

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2016
I don't know how some people are getting 8-9 hours usage on their phones I can barely manage 5 hours! I swear I am doing nothing different to you all. Taking the phone into the Apple Store in bath today and see what they say. My phone is still within warrenty. Have done everything to sort the problem - fresh install, set up as new, calibrating battery, turning off background refresh etc. Only thing I haven't done is returned to iOS 9 because I like iOS 10 and want it to work fine like most other people's phones I have seen it on! I haven't been using my phone more lately and haven't changed my usage in any way... got 5 hours 30 out of it last night with battery saver enabled at 20%...
Will tell you what their diagnostics say when I return from the Apple Store.

Reactions: fullauto

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
well it depends on what you do with your phone. if you are just listening podcasts/music, you dont need the screen for that but if you do anything with the screen, the battery doesnt last so long.

Last edited:

Applerx

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2015
Do you have snapchat/facebook/messenger installed? My SE will only get 6 hours usage on average, while in iOS 9 I could get 7-8 hours before it died

I don't have Facebook Messenger or Snapchat and I only use Facebook's website. I have WhatsApp, Telegram and Threema installed. iMessage is enabled but I almost never use it. For Twitter I use Twitterrific.

Generally, I have disabled background refresh for most apps that I don't use regularly.

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
Seems battery life might be normalizing for me (hopefully), but standby still seems to be draining much faster and my usage stats are way off. After a full charge this afternoon I talked on the phone for about an hour, listened to music for 10 minutes in the car, deleted emails, and that's about it. I checked my battery stats this evening and it was reporting 3 hours and 45 minutes of usage. No.

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
Still no fix, we should spam Apple Care or what ? They should do something with this battery drain ASAP.

Speedy Dingo

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2010
Australia
So far using my Apple Watch with my iPhone 6 seem to drain the battery a lot quicker than what they did on 9.3.5. Watch OS 3 also seems to drain the watch quicker too... which sucks! :(

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
I've run into the following battery drain bug twice now (once on GM, and once yesterday).

Using XCode Instruments, I have figured out that Springboard, Backboard, and Mediaserverd seem to flip out for no reason, and run at 10%~ cpu each, constantly (even when idle), and will cause your "Usage" stat to increase at the same rate as your Standby time (this is the best way to see if you have this bug - check your "Usage", close all apps, put phone into standby for a few minutes, and re-open = has your "Usage" increased in idle?). The bug also drains your battery at a good rate of 1-2% every 5-10 minutes.

I can't figure out what triggers this to happen, but I noticed yesterday my "Usage" had hit 4 hours, when I'd barely used the phone 1 hour in the space of a day. I thought back to what I may have been doing 3 hours ago to coincide with the phantom usage, and I only remember briefly opening my iPhone to use the Camera app (took no photo), and open Messages/Photos).

At the same time, I noticed that keyboard and lock screen sounds were really weird - pressing 1 key had a good 1-2 second delay to play the sound, typing multiple letters produced no sound except a single sound at the end, and locking the phone had a significant delay in playing the lock sound. I can't figure out whether the bug lies in Mediaserverd (seems the most likely as system sounds were affected) or Springboard/Backboard. Toggling the silent switcher off and on would occasionally alleviate this somewhat, but my best guess is some system sound gets stuck (possibly produced by the springboard/backboard processes)... but I can't figure out what or why (typically my phone is set to silent anyway). I suspect the lock sound may be the problem, as my guess is that, like Android, the system still triggers the sound event when the phone is set to silent - so, it's entirely possible it could get "stuck" somehow (the keyboard sounds, or any other system sound could get stuck also).

This is all fixed easily by just restarting the phone, but I could not figure out any way to fix this without a restart. Typically speaking, iOS10 has much better idle CPU usage than iOS9 though from my testing, so that's a good thing...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.