Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mazdamiata210

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
I'm in the Apple Store and all the display model iPad Pros are on iOS 10. All are plugged in, but are constantly complaining the battery is low.

One is at 8% (plugged in) with 5 1/2 hours of usage.

Another shut itself off and showed the charging icon while actually charging.

Yeah but they have been broken by consumers messing with them lol who knows what's on and running... Plus the demo they run when idle. I wouldn't go by that, but it is interesting

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
I've had it installed since 9pm on the 13th, but TODAY is really the first day I noticed big time battery drain on my 6+. Usually I get home from work at 5, 5:30 with a battery life of 50-55%, today I did nothing different and it was at 27%.

I also noticing the phone is running hotter than usual. I don't know if this is a coincidence with the new IOS or what...last time I've noticed this similar issue was when my internal battery was failing back in April...charge was weak, phone was hot. So I now have to look out for a "bulge." smh!

yep-sure

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
There's some sort of trigger for the rapid battery loss, I just can't work out what it is or replicate it. This morning, have been using music through a bluetooth speaker using Safari, and using iMessage, and I'm still on 89%. Everything normal.

Other times it'll drop 8-15% while I'm writing a simple 5 word message. Or I put the phone down on 85% and pick it up 5 mins later and it's dropped to 65% without me even doing anything.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
I've had it installed since 9pm on the 13th, but TODAY is really the first day I noticed big time battery drain on my 6+. Usually I get home from work at 5, 5:30 with a battery life of 50-55%, today I did nothing different and it was at 27%.

I also noticing the phone is running hotter than usual. I don't know if this is a coincidence with the new IOS or what...last time I've noticed this similar issue was when my internal battery was failing back in April...charge was weak, phone was hot. So I now have to look out for a "bulge." smh!
Battery on 5s gets hot on News, Messages, ...

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
There's some sort of trigger for the rapid battery loss, I just can't work out what it is or replicate it. This morning, have been using music through a bluetooth speaker using Safari, and using iMessage, and I'm still on 89%. Everything normal.

Other times it'll drop 8-15% while I'm writing a simple 5 word message. Or I put the phone down on 85% and pick it up 5 mins later and it's dropped to 65% without me even doing anything.

This. It started for me with PB 8 and continued with the GM. Battery life on betas 6 and 7 was very solid so I don't know what happened. Like you, it's not all the time for me either. I'll just sometimes pick up my phone off my desk and it's down 10-15% randomly. Also, sometimes I can watch it drop by 1% per min while I'm using it for 5-10% and then it's fine again. Can't figure out what's triggering the drain.

Reactions: yep-sure

kmac007

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2016
Every since upgrading from iOS 9.4 to iOS 10 on both my iPhone 6s and I pad mini 4. I have noticed battery drain on both units so it's got to be the new is.

How can I downgrade to iOS 9.4 while this gets fixed?

Dante10

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2016
I know it has only been 24 hours but I am finding ios 10 on my 6s to have noticeably worse battery life. Anyone else noticing this?
I totally agree. It feels like it's going out of battery about 30% faster then before

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
What ever i do with my iphone 6S+ it is getting warmer from the upper right corner and few centimeters down.

Been using almost 30min now and the battery already drained 20% (wifi).

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
i would rather buy a portable battery :D

well, atleast i know how to warm my hands when winter comes...

Madmarshall88

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2016
I'm getting less than 5 hours usage on my iPhone 6s! I unplug my phone at 7am every morning and it is at 100% and don't touch it when I am at work! It dropped from 100% to 70% on standby over 7 hours! (Normally it will only drop 5% over this time period!) Managed to get just about 5 hours out of it before it died. Should really average 7 hours usage! At the moment I am on 32 minutes usage and my phone has gone from 100% to 98% just browsing these forums and nothing else... sounds a bit more normal!

I have just recalibrated the battery over the past couple of days. Thinking that it might help. Will report back with the results - looking promising at the moment!

blinkie

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2007
It's destroying battery life on my SE. A few iMessages and I'm down 12%! The phone is HOT! Pretty sure I've turned off all the silly new features but to no apparent effect. To anyone reading this... DO NOT UPGRADE till there's a fix.

Turning iMessages off for a while to see it that makes a difference.

So a couple of days has passed and the excessive battery drain seems to have settled down... Maybe that's do to with the reindexing I keep reading about. But I've also turned off as many features as I can. (but not iMessage, as I'd previously mentioned.)

vexorg

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2009
How much extra power does this wake on movement cost? It must me monitoring the positioning at all times now

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
I'm also noticing significant battery drain on my 6S Plus since downloading iOS 10. Background app refresh & wifi assist are off. Most of my standby time seems to count as usage now. Glad I didnt install iOS10 on my iPad yet. Hope this fixes itself soon, because it certainly doesn't tempt me to upgrade to a new iPhone..just annoys me.

^^BIGMac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2009
Oh well...BatteryGate...

Steve Jobs just twitched in his grave. And no, we're not holding it wrong!

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
How much extra power does this wake on movement cost? It must me monitoring the positioning at all times now

It was already always monitoring position. That's how it new whether to trigger for "Hey Siri". It uses a separate low power motion chip so it shouldn't affect battery life that much, unless the screen is constantly turning on.

Speaking of which, when putting the phone in your pocket, if you put it too down (home button at the top), that will prevent the screen from turning on while walking around.

masands

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2010
IMG_0114.PNG
Yeah battery life on my 6SPlus is way worse.

myfoneisdank

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2009
I love iOS 10 on my 6s+. That said, my battery life is completely horrendous now. Been using safari and twitter for exactly 1hr on a full charge and I'm at 70%. They better fix this quick or I'm going to flip out

I_am_a_loser

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2015
Boston, MA
When I went to update my iPhone to iOS 10 I realized that I forgot to create a backup and while doing the OTA update my phone bricked, therefore I had to connect to iTunes and do a fresh install losing everything on my iPhone. Do you think doing another fresh install would make a difference in terms of battery life?

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
When I went to update my iPhone to iOS 10 I realized that I forgot to create a backup and while doing the OTA update my phone bricked, therefore I had to connect to iTunes and do a fresh install losing everything on my iPhone. Do you think doing another fresh install would make a difference in terms of battery life?

you can try but what i have seen, no.

Reactions: I_am_a_loser

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
I updated my 6s to iOS 10.0.1 on day one. Battery life was terrible the first couple of days. At one point I had 26 minutes of usage, 7.5 hours unplugged and lost 24% battery life. Before the update, under the same conditions, it would drop 4% max. However, after one first couple of days the battery life has returned to normal for me. I really don't know what changed, but I hope for the rest of you it can be sorted out. Both my, and my wife's, devices have exhibited this same pattern.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.