Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
Is there a way for me to remove diagnostic logs manually if I don't have Xcode? I don't automatically send diagnostic logs to Apple.

Sync with iTunes. The logs are copied to your computer.

Note Apple also has a special battery logging profile you can install that adds more detailed battery logs. You can install it from:

https://developer.apple.com/services-account/download?path=/iOS/iOS_Logs/BatteryLife.mobileconfig

Instructions on how to use it are here:

http://adcdownload.apple.com/iOS/iOS_Logs/Battery_Life_Logging_Instructions.pdf

krishmk

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2010
Sons of a b... seriously in iOS 10 there is no way to check (without jailbreak) how is a battery wear status now? Nice done Apple, nice done...
Just today I connected my phone to Mac and launched coconut battery, which gave me cycles and Max charge, current charge and default factory charge limit. I am not sure how coconut battery got those details.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Sons of a b... seriously in iOS 10 there is no way to check (without jailbreak) how is a battery wear status now? Nice done Apple, nice done...
It seems to show the wear and the true charge but not cycles or much of anything else.

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013

Same problem here.

I was using an app called Battery Health, but iOS 10 broke it and I can't see cycles, temperature, or true state-of-charge anymore.

Apple had banned additional purchases of this app some time ago. It seems that they don't want this information to be user viewable. I don't know why.

R3k

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2011
Sep 7, 2011
Increased battery drain here too on my iPhone 6 since upgrading. About 10% within the first hour this morning with light / occasional usage after a full charge overnight. Turned phone on and off, all backups and photo library indexing complete. I run with most notifications and background app refresh disabled.

My Ipad pro is also draining much faster.

Definitely expect this to be optimized in later iOS updates, but for now im playing with the idea of rolling back to 9 as most of the new features dont benefit me and my usage patterns, and my Macbook Pro is too old to update to OSX Sierra so I wont be taking advantage of the symbiosis between the two OS's.

Last edited:
Reactions: smorrissey

pentcp2

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2015
I only noticed iMessages taking excessive battery after I'd used a couple of the new "tap backs" to a friend. I'd never used any advanced message features until then and had no excessive battery use. Maybe there's some kind of race condition to do with the new features and effects? Can anyone else confirm?

Reactions: JM

trevorplease

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2009
6s+ 100% when I go to bed, 60% or less when I wake up.. That's 40% in 6 hours with little twitter notifications only.

This is ridiculous

jigzaw

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
I'm feeling a battery drain as well. When I woke up at 8:00 I had 100%. Now at noon I'm down to 40% with what I would consider moderate usage (listened to podcast while driving to work, a few texts, maybe 30 mins of surfing the internet). 6S Plus.

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
I am about to be sure that iMessage is draining that battery. Even more when my fiancée is out of internet and I want to send her SMS quick reply from lock screen it wants to send iMessage like crazy, even worse than it was on iOS 9.
When I open messages up it's default as SMS not damn iMessage with will not be send and every quick reply is send in the end as SMS.

Resetting iMessage settings do nothing. iOS 10 vs 9.3.5 on her. What are you doing Apple

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
the new Notifications on my iPhone 6 are causing the screen to stay on longer and the display is brighter, causing more battery usage. Also, there are many more taps/touches with the new notifications. a simple-click before is now 3-4 clicks. it may be fine with Force Touch but now i have to charge my battery throughout the day.

I shouldn't have updated, only 2 features are great so far and that's just in Mail. oh well, it'll just get worse and eventually in 2 years i'll be happy with a new phone.
[doublepost=1474054223][/doublepost]
I'm feeling a battery drain as well. When I woke up at 8:00 I had 100%. Now at noon I'm down to 40% with what I would consider moderate usage (listened to podcast while driving to work, a few texts, maybe 30 mins of surfing the internet). 6S Plus.

I am at a similar point with what I would classify normal usage for me. and that's with an hour charge partway through the day. I used to be fine throughout the day and be near 50% at 5pm, and fine until bed. now my battery is down to 30-40% by 5pm with a mid-day charge. and then between 5-8% battery my phone just dies. I should have gone win the Apple Store before my Apple Care Plus was up. but they make you wait 2 hours with or without a Genius bar appointment.

jigzaw

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
the new Notifications on my iPhone 6 are causing the screen to stay on longer and the display is brighter, causing more battery usage. Also, there are many more taps/touches with the new notifications. a simple-click before is now 3-4 clicks. it may be fine with Force Touch but now i have to charge my battery throughout the day.

I shouldn't have updated, only 2 features are great so far and that's just in Mail. oh well, it'll just get worse and eventually in 2 years i'll be happy with a new phone.
[doublepost=1474054223][/doublepost]

I am at a similar point with what I would classify normal usage for me. and that's with an hour charge partway through the day. I used to be fine throughout the day and be near 50% at 5pm, and fine until bed. now my battery is down to 30-40% by 5pm with a mid-day charge. and then between 5-8% battery my phone just dies. I should have gone win the Apple Store before my Apple Care Plus was up. but they make you wait 2 hours with or without a Genius bar appointment.
To be fair, I had been noticing a battery decline before iOS 10, but it seems to be worse. I know that with a new OS, I can expect crappy battery for a few days, so I'm holding out hope. I didn't buy Apple Care this time around (AT&T talked me into going with their insurance plan since it covers theft and other things), but I'm still within the basic year warranty so I should run to the Apple Store and have them test my battery to see if it's time for a replacement. Also, my Sleep button seems to be growing more and more flush with the phone, so maybe they should look at that. It still works, but it concerns me that it doesn't really stick out of the phone anymore. Side issue tangent, sorry.

spacemnspiff

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
MD
I can report battery life on my 6s also has been draining faster than on 9.3.x. Hopefully in the next day or two it should settle down.

nhamp07

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2011
This isn't normal. I got an Apple Watch around the same time iOS 10 came out. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_4564.PNG
    IMG_4564.PNG
    147.6 KB · Views: 269

Aquaporin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
USA
iPhone 6S. 64GB AT&T. 14A403 build.

• I've had horrible battery life since GM.
  • Did a full reset of settings a few days ago. Still bad.
  • Restored as a new phone without backup last night to see if that helped.
    • Full charge at 6am.
    • Listened to already downloaded music on the way to work.
    • Phone shut itself down to the empty battery screen at 42% at 7:55am.
    • Plugged into computer and booted back up to 49%
Something is definitely wrong on the 6S's and it's not just me needing to give the iPhone time to adjust.
This is my problem exactly except it was on iOS 9 last week too.

mmartins25

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2015
Guys I don't know what to do, I have a normal 6s but reading all your problems I think I'm gonna stay here in 9.3.5 at least until 10.0.2... what do you recommend me? because I'm just reading bad stuff. Until when is it possible to downgrade to 9.3.5 again and how can I do it? Sorry for the noob question xDD

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
I only noticed iMessages taking excessive battery after I'd used a couple of the new "tap backs" to a friend. I'd never used any advanced message features until then and had no excessive battery use. Maybe there's some kind of race condition to do with the new features and effects? Can anyone else confirm?
Yeah me too on 5s public 10. Messages is draining like crazy and Malin phone hot when I use the doodles and tap back things

Reactions: pentcp2

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Just today I connected my phone to Mac and launched coconut battery, which gave me cycles and Max charge, current charge and default factory charge limit. I am not sure how coconut battery got those details.
Interesting, someone mentioned coconut battery on the Twitter feed. Would like to know too...

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
I'm in the Apple Store and all the display model iPad Pros are on iOS 10. All are plugged in, but are constantly complaining the battery is low.

One is at 8% (plugged in) with 5 1/2 hours of usage.

Another shut itself off and showed the charging icon while actually charging.

Reactions: jpn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.