Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mous94410

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2015
I have a poor battery life too on my 6s plus in iOS 10.0.2

6~7h of screen on
12 h of stand by...

Last year in the begenning of iOS 9, I have almost 9h of screen on in this iPhone... (tsmc ship)

Reactions: smorrissey

dianp

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2016
São Paulo, Brazil
[QUOTE="Np with your English, wish i could help, how was your battery life before installing ios 10?"[/QUOTE]

The battery of my iPhone 6s on iOS 9.3.x was very good!
During the iOS 10 betas was very good too.
After the final version (GM) the iPhone becomes a dump!
Absolute Worst battery performance since running 10.0.1.
I already updated to iOS 10.0.2 and the problems still happening.

as I said before, I was forced to use iOS 10 because my iPhone backup is on iOS 10 and my Apple Watch is on watchOS 3 - that only works on iOS 10!!

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
[QUOTE="Np with your English, wish i could help, how was your battery life before installing ios 10?"

The battery of my iPhone 6s on iOS 9.3.x was very good!
During the iOS 10 betas was very good too.
After the final version (GM) the iPhone becomes a dump!
Absolute Worst battery performance since running 10.0.1.
I already updated to iOS 10.0.2 and the problems still happening.

as I said before, I was forced to use iOS 10 because my iPhone backup is on iOS 10 and my Apple Watch is on watchOS 3 - that only works on iOS 10!![/QUOTE]
Same here! My watch is also on watchOS 3 so I can't downgrade. Stuck on iOS 10

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
Done this for 4 years never had a problem and I bet no one else has on a phone.

You may not run into problems but it's basically doesn't give the phone or any apps the chance to shut down properly which can lead to data corruption or growing "other" data depending on what the phone was doing at the time.

It's also completely unnecessary to do. The same results can be accomplished by simply turning the phone off and on.

I don't understand why people think a hard reset is some kind of magic cure all. If someone recommended that people unplug their computer randomly to make it work better people everyone would think that person was an idiotic, yet when someone says to do the same thing for an iPhone, somehow people think it's good advice.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
May be it's the new functions related (e.g. wake on raise). So, only the S model is affected.

I rarely listen music. My main use is Safari and Facebook (apart from the normal smart phone function e.g. Message, WhatsApp, making calls).

Anyway, the 10.1 Beta has new charge algorithm, may be that helps. I will ask my wife hows the battery and report back, she has the 6s+, and I also installed the 10.1 beta for her. She is a pure user, won't monitor anything, won't customise anything, and she usually stick with her phone for whole day. So, her comment should be quite fair. Anyway, wake on raise is disable on her 6s+, because she don't want her phone wake itself in her bag.

Just report back my wife said that her 6S+ battery life with 10.1 beta is good. She is a heavy iphone user (nothing high performance required, but thousands of messages, calls per day), and she said the battery is enough for one day use.

So does iOS 10.1 really have a different charging algorithm?

AFAIK, the new charing algorithm as follow.

First 70% is slower
71-93% is fast
94-100% is the slowest

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It has been a few days
Aside from 10.0.2, it has been.
[doublepost=1474817569][/doublepost]
You may not run into problems but it's basically doesn't give the phone or any apps the chance to shut down properly which can lead to data corruption or growing "other" data depending on what the phone was doing at the time.

It's also completely unnecessary to do. The same results can be accomplished by simply turning the phone off and on.

I don't understand why people think a hard reset is some kind of magic cure all. If someone recommended that people unplug their computer randomly to make it work better people everyone would think that person was an idiotic, yet when someone says to do the same thing for an iPhone, somehow people think it's good advice.
It seems that there have been people with differences as far as what shutting down the phone would do for them vs a hard reset. Hard to say why that would be the case, but it appears to be there nonetheless.

Reactions: mrex

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
Having pathetic battery life on my 6s. Did a DFU restore yesterday with no backup restore. Manually insatlled apps from App Store and still it sucks. Restore to iOS 10.0.2. Very unhappy.
Thanks for commenting, yeah sadly the ios 10.0.2 fix notes never mentioned anything regarding improving battery life so guess we'll have to wait for 10.1

Last edited:

starikarp

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2013
I think it is much better than 10.0.1. I have 48%.

Attachments

• IMG_0087.PNG
    IMG_0087.PNG
    151 KB · Views: 276

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
Guess I spoke too soon about the beta fixing my issues. My battery has drained 30% and is reporting 7 hours of use when I've maybe used it 30-60 minutes since charging last last. It also feels a little warm.

Back to being annoyed.

salzrat

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2015
Did anybody with a 6s check with Geekbench 3? My 6s only gets 2:57 with ios10. Unfortunately, I didn't do a test right before upgrading, but when it was new I got 3:50 (Samsung obviously)...

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
Guess I spoke too soon about the beta fixing my issues. My battery has drained 30% and is reporting 7 hours of use when I've maybe used it 30-60 minutes since charging last last. It also feels a little warm.

Back to being annoyed.

Sorry to hear that then 10.1 has still a long way to go...
[doublepost=1474841823][/doublepost]
Did anybody with a 6s check with Geekbench 3? My 6s only gets 2:57 with ios10. Unfortunately, I didn't do a test right before upgrading, but when it was new I got 3:50 (Samsung obviously)...

Geekbench 4 out...

I'm not helping doing the test on ios9 but i just bought the app and i'm curious. I downgraded from io 10 a few days ago too.

2507 Single-core Score
4274 Multi-Core Score

Check this:

your score is no that bad.

Last edited:

thebro20

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2014
After going to apple with my battery issues, they swapped out my 6s. The battery life is better than it was before the swap, but still isn't as good as pre-iOS 10.

One thing that is odd, every couple days the photos app will suddenly rack up a ton of background usuage.

Reactions: metsjetsfan

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
One thing that is odd, every couple days the photos app will suddenly rack up a ton of background usuage.

That's new new "moments" feature. It process all you photos on the phone. It's only supposed to do so when the phone is charging and the screen is locked though.

salzrat

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2015
Sorry to hear that then 10.1 has still a long way to go...
[doublepost=1474841823][/doublepost]

Geekbench 4 out...

I'm not helping doing the test on ios9 but i just bought the app and i'm curious. I downgraded from io 10 a few days ago too.

2507 Single-core Score
4274 Multi-Core Score
your score is no that bad.

Of course I meant the Geekbench 3 battery test people were using to compare Samsung to TSMC. They pulled battery test in GB4, therefore it's no use. You can only do it if you got GB3 while it was still available.

However, GB3 gives a very interesting battery graph. You can see that it will linger for about 12 minutes on 100%, and then go in an almost perfectly straight line to 0%.

mattburley7

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2011
battery life seems improved after doing a clean install of iOS 10.0.2

typically im around 75-80% at this time of the morning.. right now its at 93%

have iphone 6s that i got on launch day.

Last edited:
Reactions: addamas

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Let us know how it goes.
I also noticed apps kept refreshing alot even in safari...hope this fixes it.

I found it was more in usage than standby where it drained

From 100% at 8.30am by 2pm it was already on 15% left

It also went from 49% to 3% in space of 20 mins.

spooky23

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2013
Epping
It's taking noticeably longer to charge my 6s+. Losing % is a given in the second year of a iphone. Come on Apple, this is way too transparent. Every year, the same thing happens. Incremental loss of %, fair enough, but why such a slow charge?

Friends on the 6s complaining their batter life has dropped substantially.
[doublepost=1474917424][/doublepost]
It's taking noticeably longer to charge my 6s+. Losing % is a given in the second year of a iphone. Come on Apple, this is way too transparent. Every year, the same thing happens. Incremental loss of %, fair enough, but why such a slow charge?

Friends on the 6s complaining their batter life has dropped substantially.

Apples fix:

Before we perform any troubleshooting, we'll want to make sure your data is safely backed up. Here's how: apple.co/1Y7vHUO Once your data is safe, let’s go ahead and reset all settings. This won't delete your content or data, but it will set most settings back to factory, and reset your background image.

To do this, tap on Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings. Once your phone powers back on, it’s a good idea to then go back through all of the settings and make them the best they can be for your battery optimization, using this article: apple.co/1WX4VNT Then, test the phone and see if it’s working better, and as you expect it should. Keep us posted, as we’ll help further if necessary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.