Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pandi.ruvina

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2017
There's a little tiny posibility that ios 10.3 fix this, and although i was thinking about installing it when released guess i better not...

Strange fact : i'm in iOS 10.3 beta 7 for at least two days now, and I just noticed a little improvement on battery standby time, it's increased more then when I was in previous version of iOS! Hmm, maybe I can wait a little and let's hope that iOS 10.3 will fix something!

AmazingTechGeek

macrumors demi-god
Mar 6, 2015
Los Angeles
An issue I've noticed since the iPhone 7 came out is that internet related tasks drain the phone quicker than previous iPhone models. Ex: downloading apps from the App Store quickly drops the percentage meter when compared to the iPhone 6 (don't know if that should be normal)

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
Nice, when people don't complain that means everything is running GREAT again, i assume... Wonder if i should finally have a go with ios 10, iphone 6s here.

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
IOS 10 ruined my battery life from 10.2.1 till 10.3 , not all phones are afected , maybe you will have a great battery life on your 6s or not , it depends on luck buddy
I assume you are using ios 10.3.3 right now, is battery ok?

Last edited:

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
10.3.3 killed my battery life on my iPhone 6. Have seen this in the past, where battery life is normal, new version of OS comes out, odd battery behavior. Saw odd battery behaviour prior to 10.2 rolled out in January, which restored battery life reporting until 10.3.3.

Example from this morning, was going out for a jog, fired up a GPS app to track workout, battery meter went from 47% to 15% immediately. Put into Low Power mode and went on my run. Got back, battery meter reads 14%. Plugged into charger, back up to 45% instantly.

Saw similar behaviour with v9 (? Iirc), where minor release messed up battery meter, then worked again on next release.

Concerned what the heck is happening with iOS development where one or more releases fixed, then next release, broken. I would figure battery monitoring would be a pretty much base functionality and not changing from minor release to minor release.

Reactions: Daniel80

johnmccurdy

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2016
Similar. I've come to the forums today to see if anyone else is having issues.

Wife is iPhone 6 on 10.3.3. and I am a 6s on 10.3.3. Both of them are now having major issues with battery. The same old games from apple before a new phone is launched. Always the last iteration of iOS seems to kill the battery to encourage users to upgrade. The 2 year old Apple Watch on the other hand is on the latest OS and the battery has significantly improved! What gives?

Examples of issues on the phones.

Wife went to bed last night with 46%. Phone was dead when she woke up.

Similarly I took my iPhone off charge at 11.20 at 100% and this morning at 7.20 It was 79%. Previously it would be in the high 80s.

This morning, I also opened maps to check the location of somewhere. The battery went from 64% to 59% in one jump. I hadn't even presses directions. The maps (apple) was simply open.

This is the sort of massive BS from apple that will lose it users.

Reactions: Daniel80

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Always the last iteration of iOS seems to kill the battery to encourage users to upgrade.

Not buying this. Many love to pull the "Apple did XYZ to force me to upgrade" trope, but in this case, from my experience, not always "timed" to new hw releases.

In the case of my phone, 9.2 introduced odd battery meter behavior, 9.2.1 (9.3? Been a while) corrected it. 10 loaded with no issue, 10.1.1 broke battery meter, 10.2.1 restored it, and now 10.3.3 back to odd metering.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Not having any battery issue on my 6s. It is as good or better than before. Latest posters with issue - have you done the "normal" stuff - first look to see what app is using battery. Force quit all the applications and then hard reset of phone? Sometimes doing updates will cause an application to have problem and cause problems.

elfary

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2012
Updated to 10.3.3 from 9.3.5 a week ago on my iPhone 6.

To my dismay (after months monitoring threads like this) battery life is on par with 9.3.5 or a bit better.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Updated to 10.3.3 from 9.3.5 a week ago on my iPhone 6.

To my dismay (after months monitoring threads like this) battery life is on par with 9.3.5 or a bit better.

Not a fair comparison, thats like saying nothing is better as your new bigger, more fuel-efficient car gets the same gas mileage as your older, smaller one.

You are being "dismayed" by obvious, positive improvements...

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
Well my iphones 6s battery just started to jump after almost 2 years of use and a hard reset didn't fix it so...whatever i just upgraded from ios 9.3.5 to 10.3.3

Let's see how it goes...

I deserve an applause community!!

Thank you thank you.

Update: one may gain security updates but lose a little of performance and battery life that's for sure. Personally i'm kind of tired of iphones poor battery life.

Last edited:

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Not to state the obvious but battery life really depends upon user and use. At the end of my day on my 6s on 10.3.3 I have about 65% battery life. My wife on her Android has about 30% battery life at the end of the day. I don't think it is always the phone but again how and where it is used. I have found weak cell service is a huge battery eater. Doesn't mean you have that but I think I could take your phone run my stuff on it and have completely different battery life than someone else.

Ledsteplin

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2013
Florence, AL
Why does iPad have 10 hours battery life and not any iPhone watching YouTube

I don't watch YouTube that much, but do other battery intense things. There's a lot of variables involved in battery life between devices. I also don't have an iPad. Age of the device makes a difference. When I first got my iPhone 6s Plus, I was getting 11 to 12 hours usage time. It's down to maybe 5 or 6 hours now. How settings are set makes a difference, including Screen brightness, push notifications, and location services. Also, the iPad may have a larger battery.

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
I have 3 Apple devices on ios 10 and from time to time when the device is on standby i press the home button and the devices doesn't wake up, not until the second press. That doesn't happens all the time, sporadic but annoying, that's a known bug?

* I have raise to wake disable here.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
I have 3 Apple devices on ios 10 and from time to time when the device is on standby i press the home button and the devices doesn't wake up, not until the second press. That doesn't happens all the time, sporadic but annoying, that's a known bug?

* I have raise to wake disable here.

No idea but better to start a thread on it than bury the question in a Battery Life thread/discussion...you'll get a better audience.

Reactions: Nisaja

jg321

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2012
UK
Not buying this. Many love to pull the "Apple did XYZ to force me to upgrade" trope, but in this case, from my experience, not always "timed" to new hw releases.

In the case of my phone, 9.2 introduced odd battery meter behavior, 9.2.1 (9.3? Been a while) corrected it. 10 loaded with no issue, 10.1.1 broke battery meter, 10.2.1 restored it, and now 10.3.3 back to odd metering.

My battery meter started jumping around - on a two year old iPhone 6. I messed around for a while blaming the OS. Then I changed the battery. All sorted now - no jumping around, and much better battery life. I should have done it sooner.

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
My battery meter started jumping around - on a two year old iPhone 6. I messed around for a while blaming the OS. Then I changed the battery. All sorted now - no jumping around, and much better battery life. I should have done it sooner.

I have been using a 6s for almost 2 years, i stayed on ios 9.3.5 all this time and things were fine however battery meter started jumping around a few weeks ago.

I thought the culprit was the warm weather but yeah battery age might be the one to blame here.

Personally i don't think it is worth to change the battery in my case, i installed ios 10.3.3 and phone feels now a little slow, it's very annoying to see all those battery metter jumps though.

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
this new iPhone 7s/8/x/pro/edition can't come soon enough. this phone is slow and doesn't last. had to opt for a mophie case and i still use the full charge of the mophie case by the end of the day.

35823159783_c317cd1c1a_c.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.