Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MizuNoHane

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2014
Which iPhone model (and iOS version)?

It's an iPhone 6 Plus.

Can be the sign of a battery with a lot of wear.

I would try a complete discharge then full charge to try an re-calibrate it though.

That's my next thought. I actually had the battery replaced when I broke my screen a few months ago, so I would be surprised to see it wear down so quickly. The same issue is happening with my fiancee's iPhone 6s and my friend's iPhone 6, and this all started with the current iOS build so I'm more likely to attribute it to these. However, I'll definitely try a rundown and recharge and let you guys know how it goes.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Well I'm astounded...

IMG_1305.PNG IMG_1306.PNG

Some background, I got my iPhone 7 plus Friday 24 February so very new. Coconut battery told me it had 1 cycle on it on Saturday morning when I transferred everything and it was manufactured in January. So last week I decided on March 1st to run it down over two days. I popped over to France (Geneva in practically surrounded by French territory for any North Americans reading this) with data roaming turned off. Everything else on though...and the iPhone was switching in the border area between two French providers (Orange and SFR) and Sunrise my Swiss provider...plus different wifi networks in the shops and shopping malls I visited. Very nice indeed and I am very pleased with the phone. I will admit I subsequently turned off raise to talk as I find it rather annoying and find the live wallpapers a bit of a gimmick. Intense gaming is rather harder on the battery as well but that's why I still have my external battery.

Reactions: AppleKarma

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
My battery issues have now been solved. Bought an iPhone 7. Running iOS 10.2.1. I get a solid 8 hour usage.

dobra94

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2017
Oradea , Romania
Well i observed that new betas are more optimized for Iphone7/7+ , with beta 5 i barely make 5 hours on usage and with 10.2.1 6 hours ( on iphone 6 with 3% battery wear ) .

pandi.ruvina

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2017
Hello I have an iphone 5S, updated to the latest ios version 10.2, but the battery keeps draining in standby mode, even when not using it at all. Tried all the parameters on how to maximise battery life, tried all the steps from all the forums possible, restored the device as new, closed all location services, background app refresh and even turned all the time power reserve, but the battery keeps draining! Anyone who can help me, maybe not being able to restore the device as new properly? or is something that is hardware related? because already run a diagnostic, it shows 95,79% of capacity of being charged to 100% and has only 300 cycles.
[doublepost=1489760512][/doublepost]Hello I have an iphone 5S, updated to the latest ios version 10.2, but the battery keeps draining in standby mode, even when not using it at all. Tried all the parameters on how to maximise battery life, tried all the steps from all the forums possible, restored the device as new, closed all location services, background app refresh and even turned all the time power reserve, but the battery keeps draining! Anyone who can help me, maybe not being able to restore the device as new properly? or is something that is hardware related? because already run a diagnostic, it shows 95,79% of capacity of being charged to 100% and has only 300 cycles.

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom
Hello I have an iphone 5S, updated to the latest ios version 10.2, but the battery keeps draining in standby mode, even when not using it at all. Tried all the parameters on how to maximise battery life, tried all the steps from all the forums possible, restored the device as new, closed all location services, background app refresh and even turned all the time power reserve, but the battery keeps draining! Anyone who can help me, maybe not being able to restore the device as new properly? or is something that is hardware related? because already run a diagnostic, it shows 95,79% of capacity of being charged to 100% and has only 300 cycles.
[doublepost=1489760512][/doublepost]Hello I have an iphone 5S, updated to the latest ios version 10.2, but the battery keeps draining in standby mode, even when not using it at all. Tried all the parameters on how to maximise battery life, tried all the steps from all the forums possible, restored the device as new, closed all location services, background app refresh and even turned all the time power reserve, but the battery keeps draining! Anyone who can help me, maybe not being able to restore the device as new properly? or is something that is hardware related? because already run a diagnostic, it shows 95,79% of capacity of being charged to 100% and has only 300 cycles.
Try a dfu restore then set it up as new and test the phone for a couple of days without installing any apps.
http://m.imore.com/how-to-iphone-ipad-dfu-mode

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom
What after doing this? can you explain to me further more?
What is there to explain .. follow that guide on the link to do a full dfu restore then test the phone for a couple of days without installing any apps etc, if it doesn't drain on standby you've fixed the problem and it's not a hardware fault. If it still drains its most likely a hardware fault.
If the problem returns only after installing all your apps you then know it's something your installing causing the problem.
Cheers

Reactions: pandi.ruvina

pandi.ruvina

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2017
What is there to explain .. follow that guide on the link to do a full dfu restore then test the phone for a couple of days without installing any apps etc, if it doesn't drain on standby you've fixed the problem and it's not a hardware fault. If it still drains its most likely a hardware fault.
If the problem returns only after installing all your apps you then know it's something your installing causing the problem.
Cheers

By hardware fault you mean that is the battery that is needed to be replaced or something else on device?

pandi.ruvina

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2017
Why not do the DFU restore first and then test it before we speculate about any possible hardware fault causing the excessive standby drain ;)

Ok yesterday i just made an DFU Mode, today i woke up in the morning, pulled off the charger at 06:00 AM, now that we are speaking it's 16:50 i'm at 36% battery, barely using it! no apps, no iCloud syncing, optimised all battery settings, no background, nothing! just leaving it , and the battery dropped by herself! What does this mean? it's the battery faulty, because i'm afraid i don't want to spend money for a battery that maybe is ok but the processor or maybe another "thing" is not working correctly!! So, what would you suggest in this case? Should i go for a new battery (from previous diagnostic it showed a 96% and only 460 cycles), or i should wait a couple of days?

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
Ok yesterday i just made an DFU Mode, today i woke up in the morning, pulled off the charger at 06:00 AM, now that we are speaking it's 16:50 i'm at 36% battery, barely using it! no apps, no iCloud syncing, optimised all battery settings, no background, nothing! just leaving it , and the battery dropped by herself! What does this mean? it's the battery faulty, because i'm afraid i don't want to spend money for a battery that maybe is ok but the processor or maybe another "thing" is not working correctly!! So, what would you suggest in this case? Should i go for a new battery (from previous diagnostic it showed a 96% and only 460 cycles), or i should wait a couple of days?

Sorry you went through all those steps for no good reason. iOS 10 has terrible battery life. Period. End of story. That's why there's a thread this long on it. People will chase their tails telling yout it's a background app, bad battery, you need to do a DFU restore and all sorts of other nonsense that won't make a lick of difference.

I think most people have accepted it as the 'new normal.'

Reactions: Daniel80

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Sorry you went through all those steps for no good reason. iOS 10 has terrible battery life. Period. End of story. That's why there's a thread this long on it. People will chase their tails telling yout it's a background app, bad battery, you need to do a DFU restore and all sorts of other nonsense that won't make a lick of difference.

Most people aren't experiencing terrible battery life.

Reactions: deano1972

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva

Disagree, my 6 was fine on ios 10 as is my 7 Plus, end of story. ;)

Reactions: pandi.ruvina

pandi.ruvina

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2017

Wow that was hard to swallow!! I mean i have friends that have other iphones between 6,6s 6 plus but none of them has the drain issue on the battery! My question is simple : trying all the steps mentioned before, replacing the battery could fix something or not?!

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom
Wow that was hard to swallow!! I mean i have friends that have other iphones between 6,6s 6 plus but none of them has the drain issue on the battery! My question is simple : trying all the steps mentioned before, replacing the battery could fix something or not?!

Possibly! It could be a fault with the battery or it could be another hardware fault causing the standby drain problem. Ive heard of a faulty Touch ID/home button causing this kind of battery drain
For example.

Forgive me but your battery cycles have jumped from 300 to 460 in a day reading your posts above

pandi.ruvina

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2017
Possibly! It could be a fault with the battery or it could be another hardware fault causing the standby drain problem. Ive heard of a faulty Touch ID/home button causing this kind of battery drain
For example.

Forgive me but your battery cycles have jumped from 300 to 460 in a day reading your posts above

i hope it will be a faulty battery because where I live, Apple Store doesn't exist! about the cycles the 300 where like the month of November 2016, recently i re-run a diagnostic and shows 460 cycles!

WeatherMate

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2015
san francisco, california
To improve the battery consumption of iPhone, you can check the following guidelines:
  1. Select the low power mode from the battery settings
  2. Check the apps that are draining the iPhone battery
  3. Rest or restore your cell phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.