Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TrumpWon!

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2017
I've owned both android and iOS devices but more so iOS. I love apple but I feel like they're cheating me with the storage configurations this time around. You either pay for 64gb which isn't enough for me or you way overpay for 256gb. I currently own a 128gb iPhone 6 Plus which is the sweet spot for me. The note 8 I can get for $930 for 64gb with 128gb micro sd card and wireless fast charge pad with a 6.3 inch OLED screen. I just feel like it's better value. Here's my question to you. Based on what you would be getting with both these phones, for the money which phones seems like a better buy to you?

AlphaGuitarist

macrumors 65816
Nov 12, 2014
My opinion is extremely biased, but I would opt for the iPhone X without hesitation. My reason is simple - I don't like Android. No matter how great the Note 8 hardware may be, the operating system, particularly Samsung's TouchWiz overlay, is an automatic dealbreaker for me.

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
Be honest. Note 8 or iPhone X

How about neither?

Both are severely overpriced and the companies pulling this nonsense shouldn't be rewarded for bad behavior

If anything I'll stick with my current 6s until it no longer works but if I didn't have a phone at all and had to buy something today it'd probably either be the SE ($150), 6s plus ($549).

Ok, off of my soapbox now...

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
iPhone X should only be compared to the Samsung Galaxy S8. Its not even close of a comparison to put the Note 8 against the iPhone X. The Galaxy S8 is comparable but still better than the iPhone X as well with more capabilities too and a better display.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
My opinion is extremely biased, but I would opt for the iPhone X without hesitation. My reason is simple - I don't like Android. No matter how great the Note 8 hardware may be, the operating system, particularly Samsung's TouchWiz overlay, is an automatic dealbreaker for me.
You can use a different launcher and you'll never have to look at touchwiz.

Reactions: ABC5S and fsfty

AlphaGuitarist

macrumors 65816
Nov 12, 2014
It's not just TouchWiz (Samsung Experience UX), it's Android in general. I used to be a devoted Android user since HTC Magic (T-Mobile G1), until I got the iPhone 6. Since then, I entertained the possibility of going back to Android on two separate occasions with the Pixel and HTC U11. Each phone went back within a week. I just prefer iOS.

PhoneI

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
I've owned both android and iOS devices but more so iOS. I love apple but I feel like they're cheating me with the storage configurations this time around. You either pay for 64gb which isn't enough for me or you way overpay for 256gb. I currently own a 128gb iPhone 6 Plus which is the sweet spot for me. The note 8 I can get for $930 for 64gb with 128gb micro sd card and wireless fast charge pad with a 6.3 inch OLED screen. I just feel like it's better value. Here's my question to you. Based on what you would be getting with both these phones, for the money which phones seems like a better buy to you?

Android = yuck!!
[doublepost=1505429343][/doublepost]
iPhone X should only be compared to the Samsung Galaxy S8. Its not even close of a comparison to put the Note 8 against the iPhone X. The Galaxy S8 is comparable but still better than the iPhone X as well with more capabilities too and a better display.

Like what capabilities are you referring too?

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Note 8 is a great phone and it might be unmatched in features and overall quality

That said it depends what software is right for you.

I've been very tempted by the note 8 but i'm so far in with apple products the x is a better option

swarlos

Suspended
Oct 18, 2015

It's not just TouchWiz (Samsung Experience UX), it's Android in general. I used to be a devoted Android user since HTC Magic (T-Mobile G1), until I got the iPhone 6. Since then, I entertained the possibility of going back to Android on two separate occasions with the Pixel and HTC U11. Each phone went back within a week. I just prefer iOS.

Hahaha this is exactly me! I can’t stand Android anymore and each time I’ve tried to use one to switch back I can’t even last 4 days LOL.

Reactions: AlphaGuitarist

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
Regardless, Apple has me. I don't want to pay more, but the X looks freaking amazing, and so I will buy it. And I simply won't "do" Android. If I did, it would have to be pure Android, without any of Samsung's crap on top. But even then, I wouldn't be happy. Apple's offering is so polished and tight from end to end, hardware to software, and so well-supported that I just can't imagine going with any other product.

cnotes2019

Suspended
Aug 17, 2013

I love the note but I only love it because of how much I use the spen SMH

santela

macrumors regular
May 15, 2017
I have reservations about Face ID, but I'm all about the X. I don't want to buy the same old design that came out 3 years ago.

If Face ID is a flop, I'll take a real hard look at Note 8, it's a sexy phone.

Reactions: jimbo1mcm

TrumpWon!

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2017
After thinking about it I'm going to try for a space grey iPhone 8 plus tonight. I completely forgot to put my Apple Watch into the picture. It would be worthless with the note 8 and I don't really want to have to sell it for a Samsung gear replacement. That and I also am very far into iOS right now. I don't know if I want to make the transition.

Reactions: dtdt123

TrumpWon!

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2017
After thinking about it I'm going to try for a space grey iPhone 8 plus tonight. I completely forgot to put my Apple Watch into the picture. It would be worthless with the note 8 and I don't really want to have to sell it for a Samsung gear replacement. That and I also am very far into iOS right now. I don't know if I want to make the transition.

I'll see how the iPhone x does when it comes out then I'll decide if it's worth buying. Don't get me wrong the note 8 looks like an awesome phone. I'll go for a 64gb because I'm not paying the outrageous extra for a bunch of storage I don't need.

BeefSupreme

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
I’ve thought about the note 8 as well. However having an Apple Watch, I’d have to go buy one of the android watches and those things completely suck.
I do love the screen it has, just android os can go **** itself.

Reactions: Jonasl and swarlos

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Note 8 is getting great reviews, but it depends on what you value.

For me personally, it's hard to imagine an android phone being good enough to cause me to introduce a device into my ecosystem (mac/iPhone/iPad/Apple TV) that screws up the terrific compatibility and ease of use I have now.

You can take issue with particular things about Apple products, but they've created a really great, relatively seamless overall experience for a person who uses a number of devices. So it's not just the new iPhone vs the new android, it's the overall Apple ecosystem vs a google ecosystem, I guess, and on that score, I think Apple wins pretty easily.

TrumpWon!

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2017
Note 8 is getting great reviews, but it depends on what you value.

For me personally, it's hard to imagine an android phone being good enough to cause me to introduce a device into my ecosystem (mac/iPhone/iPad/Apple TV) that screws up the terrific compatibility and ease of use I have now.

You can take issue with particular things about Apple products, but they've created a really great, relatively seamless overall experience for a person who uses a number of devices. So it's not just the new iPhone vs the new android, it's the overall Apple ecosystem vs a google ecosystem, I guess, and on that score, I think Apple wins pretty easily.

Great point.

eoblaed

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2010

Keep in mind you can now video 4K at 60fps... that'll look incredible, but will chew up a lot of storage. 256GB is probably not as much overkill as you think it is.

Reactions: dtdt123

chilman

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2011
Both iphones and samsung galaxy have become too expensive. I hv the ip7 and although i adore both, both also hv drawbacks. I really hate that apple remove the sweet spot 128Gb memory. 64Gb is too small and 256 is much more pricey. On the other hand, note 8 looks very nice but I think the ois is still the better one. Iphone 8 has the same design, it is improved with the glass cover on thr back, but with a case on it looks just like the ip7, unless you take a very closer look. I keep my ip7 for 2 more years, or longer if the price is insanely too high

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.