Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
It's not about Apple being out of touch with the gaming industry. It's about Windows is the current standard and game developers have no motivation to develop for a platform that very few gamers use. It's kind of like what came first the chicken or the egg. Perhaps if game developers made more games for macOS then people would play them but people aren't playing them because game developers aren't making them.

Also you have the social aspect of how super nerdy PC gamers feel about Apple products. Even if tomorrow Apple can figure out how to play existing Windows PC games on macOS you wouldn't see a bunch of gamers running to the Apple Store to buy MacBooks. They want colorful lit up computers that they can tinker with as a hobby. This is the opposite of what Apple sells.

Apple has made a niche market with certain professionals and the occasional college student. The reason why they like students is because if someone uses a MacBook in college then they'll likely not want to use a PC later in life. That's a long term customer.
Nah, it's about market-share and apple not caring about gaming. They'd need to spend some serious dough and effort to get game developers to develope AAA titles for mac - and as soon as that money dries up, developers won't spend a lot of money on a platform that has a market share < 7%. Back in the day, Microsoft did a lot more to make Windows a gaming platform.

Ecentually, gaming will probably become mostly platform independent cloud-streaming, so there's hope for the mac there

Last edited:

Adreitz

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2013
I set my steps to 40-50 on Bee as that seems to be the Goldilocks area for SD. Anything higher and you get some really weird stuff.

Also what GUI is that?
That shouldn't be the case. People routinely run 200+ steps for placebo effect. In certain cases it can change the composition, but I don't think I've ever heard of it leading to artifacts. What exactly were you seeing at higher step counts? And what scheduler are you using?

NT1440

macrumors Pentium
May 18, 2008
Windows domination is not a valid excuse anymore thanks to the blowout success of the Steam Deck and it pushing Linux into the mainstream. Pretty much every big PC game is Deck Verified now, and that number is only gonna grow once SteamOS's installer releases in the next couple of months

Game developers abandoned the Mac with the releases of macOS Mojave and Catalina respectively killing OpenGL and 32 bit app support. Combined with forcing Metal for everything, the refusal to adopt Vulkan, and Apple's comments during Apple vs Epic, and game developers do not want to touch the platform anymore. Doesn't matter how many controller types Apple adds support for in macOS when they've made the OS an absolute nightmare to make games on and refuse to listen to what developers want.

I mean hey I switched and I used to hate Macs with a passion during the Mac vs PC days. The #1 reason PC gamers won't switch is because there's no games. Give them a reason to want to switch, which is games.

Dunno if we can really call the Mac a niche market anymore with how much the ARM machines have been kicking ass in the laptop market. Hell it's been outselling the iPad for two years now.
“Pushing Linux to the mainstream” 😂 Thanks for the laugh.

Something I’ve noticed on all tech forums: gamers honestly believe they ARE the mainstream.

Much of the worlds back-end systems are indeed Linux of some type, but end-user Linux users are an extreme minority.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2022
It is local running Stable Diffusion but with web UI front-end instead of command-line. After launching 'webui.cmd' you access the local web server via:

http://localhost:7860/

https://sd-webui.github.io/stable-diffusion-webui/docs/1.windows-installation.html

You can't use it on Mac though right? I prefer to use my Macbook Pro because of how much quieter it is when rendering compared to my PC. Like my PC gets louder when it starts rendering AI images than when I play games.

Last edited:

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2022
That shouldn't be the case. People routinely run 200+ steps for placebo effect. In certain cases it can change the composition, but I don't think I've ever heard of it leading to artifacts. What exactly were you seeing at higher step counts? And what scheduler are you using?

At higher step counts things get Biblically Accurate and Eldritch. So many limbs where they're not supposed to and characters molding together.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2022
“Pushing Linux to the mainstream” 😂 Thanks for the laugh.

Something I’ve noticed on all tech forums: gamers honestly believe they ARE the mainstream.

I mean the billions made annually on the game industry kinda proves they are, even moreso after the COVID lockdowns caused game sales and revenue to soar even higher.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2022
Nah, it's about market-share and apple not caring about gaming. They'd need to spend some serious dough and effort to get game developers to develope AAA titles for mac - and as soon as that money dries up, developers won't spend a lot of money on a platform that has a market share < 7%. Back in the day, Microsoft did a lot more to make Windows a gaming platform.

Not to mention unlike Apple, Microsoft doesn't force you to use DirectX. You wanna use OpenGL or Vulkan you can. On Mac you have no choice, use Metal or go somewhere else. Well guess what Apple they did go somewhere else lmao.

Ecentually, gaming will probably become mostly platform independent cloud-streaming, so there's hope for the mac there

No it won't. Cloud streaming will be an option and a good one at that, but the popular one? AHAHAHAHAHAHA no. Native will always be superior and preferred due to input latency, image quality, and not needing an internet connection which for LAN events is pretty important. The death of Stadia and PSNow is proof of that.

apparatchik

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2008
Regarding the lack of games and the chicken-and-egg problem in Mac gaming, my take is that if Apple really wanted they could do what they have being doing in the streaming world with AppleTV+, a war chest large enough to fund exclusives and AAA ports to bring gamers and studios over. They just haven't really wanted to. They have stuck with casual gaming with Apple Arcade. They surely don't lack the money to fund its way over.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
You can't use it on Mac though right? I prefer to use my Macbook Pro because of how much quieter it is when rendering compared to my PC. Like my PC gets louder when it starts rendering AI images than when I play games.

For AS MacOS I used this fork which has more options than Diffusion Bee while still having a web UI.

https://github.com/invoke-ai/InvokeAI

Boils down to preference. I don't like waiting 11x longer so prefer laptop with Nvidia dGPU.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
I tried to install Invoke but the installation failed and I don't know what I'm doing wrong

There are like two steps which aren't documented but kind of common sense when you run into them. I'm back on Big Sur but when I have the itch to reinstall Monterey I'll take note and share those steps. Here's a screencap when it was running.

screen-shot-2022-09-18-at-5-58-42-am-png.2070665

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2022
There are like two steps which aren't documented but kind of common sense when you run into them. I'm back on Big Sur but when I have the itch to reinstall Monterey I'll take note and share those steps. Here's a screencap when it was running.

Those two steps being...

NT1440

macrumors Pentium
May 18, 2008
I mean the billions made annually on the game industry kinda proves they are, even moreso after the COVID lockdowns caused game sales and revenue to soar even higher.
Yes, it’s a big market monetarily (ignoring that most of that money comes now from games that “gamers” look down upon).

But, “Linux going mainstream”…come on. Sit anyone who’s not a gamer/techie in front of any flavor of Linux desktop and their eyes are going to bug out. That’s what I was getting at.

At one point NetFlix was built using Microsoft Silverlight. NO ONE would claim that because of the backend that “Silverlight has gone mainstream”.

Hopefully that clears up the point I was making. User-facing is by definition is what “mainstream” refers to.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
So yesterday I started playing around with AI Image Generation (and in turn also became an enemy to all artists everywhere.) 🥴
I just started playing with it, too. I like the fact that I don’t have to use the web tools anymore. I can play as much as I like with as many prompts as I want on my 16” :)

tubuliferous

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2011
Interesting thread! @Spaceboi Scaphandre

Is Spatial Diffusion set up for GPU compute on both NVIDIA cards and Apple Silicon? Did you post somewhere how many GPU cores your MacBook 14" has? Are you leveraging the GPU on both the MacBook and the laptop with the 3060?

The 32-core M1 Max GPU seems to compete well with the mobile 3060 in various benchmarks, and it would be interesting to see a real-world comparison of machine learning performance between these two GPUs.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
Not to mention unlike Apple, Microsoft doesn't force you to use DirectX. You wanna use OpenGL or Vulkan you can. On Mac you have no choice, use Metal or go somewhere else. Well guess what Apple they did go somewhere else lmao.
Except both OpenGL and Vulcan are available for macOS.

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016
This thread has turned into a bit of a bait and switch argument.

The initial premise was that your AS out performed the dedicated RTX3060.

When shown that there must be a flaw in methodology, and your acknowledgement of not having the correct toolsets installed.

The argument is switched towards noise and heat

Last edited:
Reactions: Wizec

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2022

Yeah I got with the developers and found the problem: Their Mac instructions were not as user friendly, and the installation process needed Sudo privileges. I got Invoke working now and good lord it's so much better than DiffusionBee.

Reactions: Unregistered 4U

riverfreak

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
Thonglor, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon

tmoerel

Suspended
Jan 24, 2008
Why does a great discussion about using creative AI tools degrade to a useless discussion of gaming?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.