Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
I got the new one installed today and it fits great. But on the right side it has a rainbow effect. The whole screen is covered so idk why it’s doing that.

Pug72

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2012
England
Could you post a pic please?

I'd like to see if I'd prefer one of these to the one I already have.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Could you post a pic please?

I'd like to see if I'd prefer one of these to the one I already have.
Post a pic of the rainbow effect? It’s hard but I’ll try tonight once I get access to a second phone.

It’s weird Bc the screen protector completely covers the screen and more yet it still has a rainbow effect. I’ll be going back to Apple within 14 days to get it replaced.

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
I have now the anti glare and waiting the new invisiglass, when you try glass never go back...

I had Apple install the anti-glare on my X to give it some protection until they came back out with the glass. Will be switching as soon as I get out to my local Apple Store, as I absolutely HATE the anti-glare protector. It has no oleophobic coating, and if you have the slightest bit of oil on your fingers that screen turns into a mess!

What are your thoughts on the anti-glare? Do you like it, or did you put it on for protection until the glass was rereleased?

I agree with you 100%, once you go glass you never go back!

:apple:

germaocruz

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2017
Madrid
I had Apple install the anti-glare on my X to give it some protection until they came back out with the glass. Will be switching as soon as I get out to my local Apple Store, as I absolutely HATE the anti-glare protector. It has no oleophobic coating, and if you have the slightest bit of oil on your fingers that screen turns into a mess!

What are your thoughts on the anti-glare? Do you like it, or did you put it on for protection until the glass was rereleased?

I hated it, thanks god on Friday I installed the new invisiglass.

The anti glare makes the screen darker, apart from what you said (I agree 100%).

Now I’m happy again! And I realized how nice the screen is!

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
I hated it, thanks god on Friday I installed the new invisiglass.

The anti glare makes the screen darker, apart from what you said (I agree 100%).

Now I’m happy again! And I realized how nice the screen is!

Yes, I agree it does make the screen darker. It really ruins the iPhone X screen, which is gorgeous without a protector, however, the oleophobic coating or glass on the X is not the strongest glass on any iPhone like Apple claims because I have quite a few micro scratches which never happened on any other iPhone I had.

Just curious, did they give you a refund for the anti-glare? I was told when I bought the anti-glare at my Apple Store that if for any reason I was unhappy with it, I could get a refund. Obviously the caveat with that is that when you get the refund, they remove the anti-glare at the Apple Store, which in this case would not be an issue since I am switching to the glass anyway. I am hoping that what I was told was true, because then I will just have to pay $20.00 more to get the glass protector. If they do not give me a refund on the anti-glare, I will be more than pissed that in total between both protectors I will have paid $60.00 plus tax!

germaocruz

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2017
Madrid
Yes, I agree it does make the screen darker. It really ruins the iPhone X screen, which is gorgeous without a protector, however, the oleophobic coating or glass on the X is not the strongest glass on any iPhone like Apple claims because I have quite a few micro scratches which never happened on any other iPhone I had.

Just curious, did they give you a refund for the anti-glare? I was told when I bought the anti-glare at my Apple Store that if for any reason I was unhappy with it, I could get a refund. Obviously the caveat with that is that when you get the refund, they remove the anti-glare at the Apple Store, which in this case would not be an issue since I am switching to the glass anyway. I am hoping that what I was told was true, because then I will just have to pay $20.00 more to get the glass protector. If they do not give me a refund on the anti-glare, I will be more than pissed that in total between both protectors I will have paid $60.00 plus tax!

To be honest I didn’t ask for a refund, I just wanted to take that **** out but I’m sure they will refund your money

Reactions: SRLMJ23

democracyrules

Suspended
Nov 18, 2016

Never really have a problem with my Belkin anti glare. It is perfect. Also, I am not OCD so fortunate for us who are not OCD and not bothered with any problems caused by the OCD side effects.
[doublepost=1518987459][/doublepost]

Anti glare does not make my screen darker. It is perfect. Fortunate for those including myself who do not have this issue.

germaocruz

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2017
Madrid
Ummm we should be talking about different products, in my opinion, the Belkin anti glare is one of the worst screen protectors I tried

walds11

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2010
Never really have a problem with my Belkin anti glare. It is perfect. Also, I am not OCD so fortunate for us who are not OCD and not bothered with any problems caused by the OCD side effects.
[doublepost=1518987459][/doublepost]
Anti glare does not make my screen darker. It is perfect. Fortunate for those including myself who do not have this issue.

It is perfect for me as well. Also, you can beat the in-store machine install.

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
Ummm we should be talking about different products, in my opinion, the Belkin anti glare is one of the worst screen protectors I tried

Well apparently to him, you and I are OCD and that is why we do not like the anti-glare protector. However, apparently he did not read both our posts because we both agreed on the main points that make the anti-glare absolutely horrific. If he is happy with that piece of garbage, God bless him.

Also, just because we do not like ours does not mean either of us are OCD. There are plenty of reviews of the Belkin Anti-Glare that give it one-star and complain about the same thing as "germaocruz" and I are complaining about. Should not throw OCD around just because people do not agree with your view of a product.

Reactions: germaocruz

Shark5150

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2014
Dallas, Texas
Original Invisiglass installed the day I got the phone in December is still intact. Installed by Apple store. No chips or cracks and no rainbow-ing at edge.

samkim4415

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2016
I got the new one installed at the Apple Store through the tool that they used.

For some reason, there’s some bubbling all around the screen protector.

Did others have that?
I’ve had multiple Belkin glass screen protectors installed through the tool/machine and it was perfect but this one has some halo effect on the sides

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York

Did others have that?
I’ve had multiple Belkin glass screen protectors installed through the tool/machine and it was perfect but this one has some halo effect on the sides

That is not normal at all. The whole point of that machine is so the protector goes on perfectly aligned and without any air bubbles underneath it. I have had a few installed and have never had any issues at all.

Take it back to the Apple Store you had it installed at and they *should* take that one off, and install a brand new one on your iPhone for you. It should have been noticed by the Apple Store employee who put it on, and yourself right at the store so you do not have to go back. You should be okay though as they will more than likely replace it.

[doublepost=1518993080][/doublepost]
LOL, well my OCD was solved as soon as I got the invisiglass

My "OCD" will be cured soon as well...as soon as I get to the Apple Store, haha.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
That is not normal at all. The whole point of that machine is so the protector goes on perfectly aligned and without any air bubbles underneath it. I have had a few installed and have never had any issues at all.

Take it back to the Apple Store you had it installed at and they *should* take that one off, and install a brand new one on your iPhone for you. It should have been noticed by the Apple Store employee who put it on, and yourself right at the store so you do not have to go back. You should be okay though as they will more than likely replace it.

[doublepost=1518993080][/doublepost]

My "OCD" will be cured soon as well...as soon as I get to the Apple Store, haha.

Why does mine have the halo effect even when the protector fully covers the edges and more?

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
Why does mine have the halo effect even when the protector fully covers the edges and more?

I would say you got a bad unit, and on top of that a bad install, even though it was with the machine. There is probably some air under there or something causing it to not adhere 100% to the screen and that could cause some halo effect in certain lighting/screen brightness. Take it back, show them the halo effect and the air bubbles underneath the screen and they should replace it, no questions asked. Sorry I cannot help you more than that bro.

Last edited:

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
I got the anti glare last week and it’s not my cup of tea, too dark. I’m hoping they’ll let me exchange it and pay the difference for the invisiglassn.

Watch out, now that you said that you do not like the anti-glare and that it makes the screen darker, the user "DemocracyRules" will accuse you (like he did to "germaocruz" and myself) that you have OCD. Haha.

I am hoping Apple will do the same thing for me that you are hoping they will do for you, because the anti-glare really makes the iPhone X screen look terrible, and I am obviously not the only one who thinks that.

Shark5150

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2014
Dallas, Texas

Did others have that?
Not for me. Obviously it's not normal. Return...

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Watch out, now that you said that you do not like the anti-glare and that it makes the screen darker, the user "DemocracyRules" will accuse you (like he did to "germaocruz" and myself) that you have OCD. Haha.

I am hoping Apple will do the same thing for me that you are hoping they will do for you, because the anti-glare really makes the iPhone X screen look terrible, and I am obviously not the only one who thinks that.

It’s not too horrible to me but the invisiglass is definitely worth $20 extra for the clarity and clearness.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
I use Anker's Karapax screen protectors. They come with a frame that gets you 98-99% perfection during installation. (Alternatively, you could use the front of a Spigen Thinfit 360 case as well.)

I have no complaints. I don't mind that it's not paper thin, because the glide characteristics are fantastic on it.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
The refund on my week old anti glare was a firm no. I didn’t push the issue over $20 but they said no refund unless it’s defective.

Got the glass installed though and I’m happy now.

walds11

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2010
I couldn’t see spending $39.95 for a screen protector, so I had the Belkin Anti-Glare screen protector installed at the Apple Store few months ago. I was happy with it, but as others stated it makes the screen darker.

I had the updated InvisiGlass Ultra screen protector installed at the Apple Store this morning. They refunded the $19.95 for the anti-glare screen protector no questions asked. Perfect install as usual. The clarity and feel of this thing is amazing...

All I gotta say is once you go glass, you never go back!

Reactions: Shark5150

Eduardboon

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
Going to have this placed on my screen tomorrow. I decided I would go without since the screen was beautiful without a protector, but my replacement phone came without the smudge-resistant coating and only had water-restiance applied except for the part around the notch. However; the screen was beautiful and even. So I don't want to play that lottery again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.