Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Upstate NY . Was FL.
How long did it take you to transfer everything over? I’ve always been able to take my time and do it at home before sending the trade-in in. I’m worried about missing something and not being able to get it back even though I’ve got it backed up to cloud and have most things synced to my iPad.
What’s there to transfer if one uses iCloud ? I’m asking not because I’m being a knob but genuinely wanting to know.
maybe backup using iTunes at home on a pc or finder in Mac before going to store for trade in. ?

Hotpinkflamingoaz

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2018
Az
What’s there to transfer if one uses iCloud ? I’m asking not because I’m being a knob but genuinely wanting to know.
maybe backup using iTunes at home on a pc or finder in Mac before going to store for trade in. ?
I don’t have a computer so I can’t backup to iTunes. I just wanted to make it easy and not have to sign into every single thing again. I keep originals like my photos/files on my phone as well as in icloud.

Reactions: Fred Zed

jcp007

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2020
Third Rock From the Sun
How long did it take you to transfer everything over? I’ve always been able to take my time and do it at home before sending the trade-in in. I’m worried about missing something and not being able to get it back even though I’ve got it backed up to cloud and have most things synced to my iPad.
We did the Transfer and Erase process. It took less than 30 minutes to transfer apps and data. No need to log back in. Everything was ready to go. Just make sure that the Best Buy techs check to see if your wireless provider network is connected. Once the process is complete, you will be good to go.

Reactions: Hotpinkflamingoaz

Hotpinkflamingoaz

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2018
Az
We did the Transfer and Erase process. It took less than 30 minutes to transfer apps and data. No need to log back in. Everything was ready to go. Just make sure that the Best Buy techs check to see if your wireless provider network is connected. Once the process is complete, you will be good to go.
Thank you!

cpatrick08

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
It would take longer if someone is coming from Android.

jcp007

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2020
Third Rock From the Sun
I backed up my iPhone 12 Pro Max to icloud before going to Best Buy to trade-in.

Transfer or Reset iPhone is located in Settings/General near the bottom of the screen. It's really easy. There are YouTube videos in the last couple of weeks. I even had to walk the Best Buy techs through it.

IPhone to iPhone

Not sure if feature is on iOS 14. Make sure iOS 15 is installed just in case.

Using Transfer or Reset is so easy. Make sure you are connected to Wi-Fi when you do it. Couple of things to check are connection to wireless network provider and disable Find My and lock screen passcodes. Once the process is complete, you will have to reset your default browser and keyboard.

Reactions: Hotpinkflamingoaz

Hotpinkflamingoaz

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2018
Az
I backed up my iPhone 12 Pro Max to icloud before going to Best Buy to trade-in.

Transfer or Reset iPhone is located in Settings/General near the bottom of the screen. It's really easy. There are YouTube videos in the last couple of weeks. I even had to walk the Best Buy techs through it.

IPhone to iPhone

Using Transfer or Reset is so easy. Make sure you are connected to Wi-Fi when you do it. Couple of things to check are connection to wireless network provider and disable Find My and lock screen passcodes. Once the process is complete, you will have to reset your default browser and keyboard.
Did you update the software in the 13 before the transfer?

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Upstate NY . Was FL.
I don’t have a computer so I can’t backup to iTunes. I just wanted to make it easy and not have to sign into every single thing again. I keep originals like my photos/files on my phone as well as in icloud.
Ok, thanks for the clarificatio

IPhone to iPhone

Thanks for taking the time to reply with instructions and help on how to backup reset etc.
but that wasn’t my original question. I was curious to know why people are sitting for hours in a Best Buy store transferring one apple iPhone data to another. Then again I assume they don’t use iCloud.

jcp007

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2020
Third Rock From the Sun
Ok, thanks for the clarificatio

Thanks for taking the time to reply with instructions and help on how to backup reset etc.
but that wasn’t my original question. I was curious to know why people are sitting for hours in a Best Buy store transferring one apple iPhone data to another. Then again I assume they don’t use iCloud.
Apologies for not directly answering your question.

As part of the Transfer or Reset, Apple is "loaning" you temporary icloud storage. The advantage of this process is to eliminate the need to log back in to apps and not have the data. You don't have to sit there and wait. As long as you are ok that email, contacts, pictures, texts and calendar have been transferred and loaded back to the iPhone 13 device, you can finish up at home. When all is said and done, you are ready to go. This doesn't mean that you can't do a restore from icloud but it's easy and complete with exception of making sure wireless provider is connected and for apps requiring 2FA.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Upstate NY . Was FL.
Apologies for not directly answering your question.

As part of the Transfer or Reset, Apple is "loaning" you temporary icloud storage. The advantage of this process is to eliminate the need to log back in to apps and not have the data. You don't have to sit there and wait. As long as you are ok that email, contacts, pictures, texts and calendar have been transferred and loaded back to the iPhone 13 device, you can finish up at home. When all is said and done, you are ready to go. This doesn't mean that you can't do a restore from icloud but it's easy and complete with exception of making sure wireless provider is connected and for apps requiring 2FA.
The loaning of iCloud storage space is surely for those that don't have enough iCloud space or use icloud space in the first place correct ? But those that already have enough iCloud space and utilize it with their current iPhone can switch devices without the need to do a transfer.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Upstate NY . Was FL.
Back on subject. Current status. Was due originally for pickup on 9/28

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211001-134144_Best Buy.jpg
    Screenshot_20211001-134144_Best Buy.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 72

jcp007

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2020
Third Rock From the Sun
Back on subject. Current status. Was due originally for pickup on 9/28
My iPhone 13 Pro Max was six days leter than planned. Hopefully your delivery date won't slip much more since your order date was so close to the pre-order date. Kind of worried about those orders that were placed afterwards. I saw news that the iPhone 13 Pro series demand is way greater than expected and that shipping dates extended through October into November. Hope you get yours soon.

jcp007

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2020
Third Rock From the Sun
now best buy offer 100 off and in stock many store...
Normally it would pay to wait. Given the unexpected and overwhelming demand especially for the iPhone 13 Pro series and higher storage options due to ProRes and those needing the space on the phone instead of iCloud, I am glad that I pre-ordered.

cpatrick08

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
Bestbuy shows I can order today and get the same phone shipped to me by the 5th, but I have to wait till the 15th to get it via store. I can't have it shipped to me due to a trade-in. Weird they prioritize shipping phones, but not ones for store pickup.

Hotpinkflamingoaz

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2018
Az
I’m T-Mobile as well. Supposed to have a pickup on Friday 10/15. This is the first scheduled pickup. I ordered a 13 Pro Max Silver 128gb on 9/24. I can’t believe you’re both still waiting. Ugh!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.