Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
Mine has a very faint spot as well and it is just noticeable when scrolling on a white web page. I don't know if it is worth taking it in yet as you have to look closely to see it. Apple probably won't even notice it.
Yes, take it in. Open the ticket online and then they will prompt you to take it in to get a replacement.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Mine has a very faint spot as well and it is just noticeable when scrolling on a white web page. I don't know if it is worth taking it in yet as you have to look closely to see it. Apple probably won't even notice it.

Mine wasn’t very bright but when scrolling my eyes fixed on it and I couldn’t unsee it. I did an AppleCare Plus express replacement and there were no issues when they received my faulty device back.

telemakos

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2014
Has anyone got similar issues in a replacement unit? As far as I could see from previous posts, it also happened in a unit manufactured 6 months ago, Feb. 2018 (post #75). I wonder whether Apple has sorted out the issue in the meantime.

BlazeJP

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2018
Hey guys, I live in Japan and have my iPad for a little over a year. I got the same spot above my home button about 3 months ago. At first I didn’t think much of it, but on white backgrounds it’s so noticeable. I got annoyed by it, watching movies or working on my iPad I’d always notice it.

So I took it to Apple for a check.

A guy checked it and they confirm there is a white spot, but I don’t have Apple Care and my iPad was just out of warranty so they refused to fix or replace it. I was told I could replace the screen for about $470
I was shocked at the price and told them no way... I’ll just keep my iPad, not knowing this is a regular issue with these.

What do you guys think? After reading this forum I’m a bit upset as this seems to be an iPad design flaw and not my fault. I didn’t pay so much money for it to develop a white spot over time. But they made it seem like I bumped the screen “the guy even said it could be caused by presssing to hard or bumping the screen” I told him it’s always in a case and very well taken care of so I have never done such a thing.

You guys think I should go back and show them this thread?

telemakos

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2014
If you’re not much longer over 12 months you could try again by showing them this thread and see if you can escalate the issue.

This story reminds me of the so-called “Staingate” with certain Macbook Pro displays (the anti-reflective coating peeled off mostly after 12 months). It took Apple a long time to acknowledge the issue and start a free repair program for everyone.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Hey guys, I live in Japan and have my iPad for a little over a year. I got the same spot above my home button about 3 months ago. At first I didn’t think much of it, but on white backgrounds it’s so noticeable. I got annoyed by it, watching movies or working on my iPad I’d always notice it.

So I took it to Apple for a check.

A guy checked it and they confirm there is a white spot, but I don’t have Apple Care and my iPad was just out of warranty so they refused to fix or replace it. I was told I could replace the screen for about $470
I was shocked at the price and told them no way... I’ll just keep my iPad, not knowing this is a regular issue with these.

What do you guys think? After reading this forum I’m a bit upset as this seems to be an iPad design flaw and not my fault. I didn’t pay so much money for it to develop a white spot over time. But they made it seem like I bumped the screen “the guy even said it could be caused by presssing to hard or bumping the screen” I told him it’s always in a case and very well taken care of so I have never done such a thing.

You guys think I should go back and show them this thread?

The problem with the “pressing the screen too hard” line, is that the iPad Pro is DESIGNED to have the screen poked reasonably hard with a sharp object, the Apple Pencil

Reactions: Ivabign

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Has anyone got similar issues in a replacement unit? As far as I could see from previous posts, it also happened in a unit manufactured 6 months ago, Feb. 2018 (post #75). I wonder whether Apple has sorted out the issue in the meantime.

I had it on my original May 2017 device. The replacement Nov 2017 device didn’t have “the spot” but a lighter edge across the home button edge and a shadow in the corner. My current replacement device, which is another May 2017 (which I believe to be brand new as it came with iOS 10 installled) has no sign currently and a beautiful display (like my original had before “the spot”)

telemakos

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2014
I had it on my original May 2017 device. The replacement Nov 2017 device didn’t have “the spot” but a lighter edge across the home button edge and a shadow in the corner. My current replacement device, which is another May 2017 (which I believe to be brand new as it came with iOS 10 installled) has no sign currently and a beautiful display (like my original had before “the spot”)

Since when have you been using your latest replacement device?

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
I saw this problem on a store. It was quite noticeable.

I'm glad I didn't buy this iPad and opted for the 2018 generic iPad. It really seems like a design flaw if so many people have this problem and you can even see it at a store.
88b58840597c149cbc3164bd68215f93.jpg

Reactions: thadoggfather

telemakos

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2014
I saw this problem on a store. It was quite noticeable.

I'm glad I didn't buy this iPad and opted for the 2018 generic iPad. It really seems like a design flaw if so many people have this problem and you can even see it at a store.
88b58840597c149cbc3164bd68215f93.jpg

The bright spot on mine is at the same position and looks the same.

JemTheWire

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2012
Manchester (UK)
Oh my. Got this on my iPP 10.5 too. Thought it was just me until I stumbled upon this thread.
Out of warranty and no Apple Care.

Ah well, I can live with it I guess.

SAIRUS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2008
Still awaiting Amex to approve my exchange...
That said I wondered if the keyboard was causing an issue, seems not.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I feel like I dodged a bullet going with the 12.9

im gonna be extra careful handling it around that area now tho out of paranoia

Reactions: Sensamic

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2015
My Apple Care+ is through April 2020, so I'll be watching to see if a spot develops :\

Proteinaceous

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2004
I feel like I dodged a bullet going with the 12.9

im gonna be extra careful handling it around that area now tho out of paranoia

Well, the 12.9’s may have their own display issues. Mine did, and I’ve noticed it on a lot of store display models (eg, Apple Store and Best Buy).

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ipad-pro-12-9-light-bleeding-covered-by-warranty.2127615/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/is-this-backlight-bleed-should-i-take-to-apple-store.2127484/

gm4jjj

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2018
I noticed the same screen problem has just appeared on my iPad Pro 10.5" yesterday. Really disappointing.

Will have to book an appointment at the Apple Store, as it is still well within the 1 year warranty period. I hope they can replace it on the spot, as it is a bit of a journey for me.

Device is 4 months old. Production week Feb 2018.

Contacted Apple and returned iPad which they have replaced with a new iPad. Good result, thanks Apple!

Reactions: millydog
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.