Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChristianGGG

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2018
Just stop using Apps that get no Update in the next few weeks and leave a Review.... the Developer should react or there will for shure be an alternative. I have over 100 Apps on my XS all updatet to the screen.

cudifying

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2016
Developers will need to update to new sdk to support rounded corners anyways. If they support the new iPads, they will support the new 11" aspect ratio. Easy as that

Reactions: canyonblue737

harrisondavies

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
Dude it's a real issue. Imagine buying this $800 iPad Pro that has an 'edge-to-edge' display, only to discover that many apps make the tablet look like it came from 2010.

Yes there will be developer who of course will update their apps for sure, but that will take some time; and there will be developers, especially game developers, who'll just leave it as it is as long as it works.

Can't a guy just tell people to beware a product that has this kind of annoyance? :rolleyes:

Beware and be aware are two separate words. Beware is perhaps not the best choice of words as it implies it will always be so. Whereas be aware attempts to inform.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
Just want to put it out there, the new 11-inch iPad Pro doesn't only have a new resolution, but it also has a new aspect ratio, ditching iPad's infamous 4:3.

This means, almost every single iPad app will now need to be updated to the new aspect ratio, and we all know this will result in so many apps neglected and will result in massive black bars for so many apps.

The 12.9" iPad Pro is now the safe option if you want all apps to take advantage of the whole screen.

Check this video and look how terrible Rome: Total War (go to 12:10) and Affinity Photo (go to 13:05) look on the 11" iPad. This literally looks like the original iPad from 2010. Such a dumb move by Apple.

SO BUYER BEWARE.

Did you ever consider that app makers will you know... update their apps? It *may* be a longer time issue for games, but iPad Pro centric apps like Affinity Photo will likely get very quick updates.

Last edited:

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
Honestly, the bars really aren’t that big. They’re about the same as the head and chin of the previous iPad models. Apps will update for it, life will go on. If you don’t want to deal with it, hold off on getting one. But don’t give yourself an aneurism over a little temporarily unused screen space.

JohnnyQuest

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2006
I mean, the aspect ratio has changed several times with iPhones, and people also freaked about iPhone apps on the og iPad. Both are non-issues now. Plus, this (and the 12.9) is clearly the ratio Apple is heading towards for all iPads, so it's not like it's going anywhere over the next few years. Generally developers update their apps, and they either need to, or get out because it is what it is lol.

This is just part of being an early adopter.

Reactions: flur and DNichter

Jimpilot

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
No
Every time they update the size or aspec ratio there are these “the sky is falling” posts.

Being a first adapter brings these kind of issues, I understand and accept that. Most apps will update, those that don’t will fall by the wayside.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I believe it occurs if you don’t recompile against the latest SDK regardless whether you’ve used auto layout.

That’s certainly been the case for some but not all past aspect ratio changes, and I’ve seen it reported for this one.

Makes sense. Is that difficult to do?

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I don't see this being a huge problem for very long. Most developers will update their apps to support the new aspect ratio pretty quickly like happened when the phone changed aspect ratio.
It took years for some iPhone apps to get amended when the i5 came out. Even the big players took months IIRC.

Last edited by a moderator:

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
Anyone know why they did this?
4/3 is so awesome: why are the messing with this?
[doublepost=1541465398][/doublepost]
Developers will need to update to new sdk to support rounded corners anyways. If they support the new iPads, they will support the new 11" aspect ratio. Easy as that
round corners awful imo. this is what happens when you haughty design
language is at odds with basic use: photos and videos

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
not Apple's job. they provide the tools and the developers are the ones to do the work. if someone doesn't update that's on them. not Apple.

Wrong if i bought an AP from the apple store and now its not work properly i need Apple to refund me the cost I didn't buy it from a developer

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
then it’s time to stop supporting the developer and/or website unless it’s mission critical to your work or life. facebook.com for instance is a workable solution. just my take.

Just stop using Apps that get no Update in the next few weeks and leave a Review.... the Developer should react or there will for shure be an alternative. I have over 100 Apps on my XS all updatet to the screen.

This^. Why would you continue to support a developer that doesn’t offer timely support to their product or just outright abandon it?

And if the black bars are really THAT offensive, why are you giving Apple more money?

So many poster come online here, bitch, moan and whine about something but refuse to do the one thing that matters most to companies/developers/etc—-vote with your wallet and spend your money elsewhere.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Wrong if i bought an AP from the apple store and now its not work properly i need Apple to refund me the cost I didn't buy it from a developer
It works properly. It does what it was supposed to do at the time you bought it. It’s not reasonable to expect it to adopt new features in the future.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
I’m assuming this only applies to apps that don’t use auto layout also.

That is correct. Apple has an info guide for developers posted to help them finally make their apps auto layout ready if they hadn't over the last few years when Apple had been warning them to go that direction. I'm sure Apple will stop allowing new apps to be published for iPad without 11 inch support in a matter on a month or two and will stop allowing current apps to be updated without 11 inch support in 6 months or so. Most "important" iPad apps (drawing, photo etc.) 3rd party iPad apps will likely have support within a very, very short amount of time, perhaps as early as at launch.

Also if you watch 16x9 video on your 11 it gains 15% in size (compared to the 11 gaining just 7.5% overall from the 10.5) because of the new form. Basically the iPad screen is a little bigger but 16x9 video is significantly bigger. That's a good thing if you watch movies on this thing.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
That is correct. Apple has an info guide for developers posted to help them finally make their apps auto layout ready if they hadn't over the last few years when Apple had been warning them to go that direction. I'm sure Apple will stop allowing new apps to be published for iPad without 11 inch support in a matter on a month or two and will stop allowing current apps to be updated without 11 inch support in 6 months or so. Most "important" iPad apps (drawing, photo etc.) 3rd party iPad apps will likely have support within a very, very short amount of time, perhaps as early as at launch.

Also if you watch 16x9 video on your 11 it gains 15% in size (compared to the 11 gaining just 7.5% overall from the 10.5) because of the new form. Basically the iPad screen is a little bigger but 16x9 video is significantly bigger. That's a good thing if you watch movies on this thing.

If you are suggesting that autolayout is sufficient to solve the problem, it’s not.
If you are suggesting that autolayout is necessary to solve the problem, it’s not.

To solve the problem, one must link against the 12.1 SDK. Apple requires this be done by March 2019 - after that it won’t accept submissions that use older SDKs.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
If you are suggesting that autolayout is sufficient to solve the problem, it’s not.
If you are suggesting that autolayout is necessary to solve the problem, it’s not.

To solve the problem, one must link against the 12.1 SDK. Apple requires this be done by March 2019 - after that it won’t accept submissions that use older SDKs.

ok so you are saying that developers can't submit new or updated apps starting in 4 months that don't support the new size of the 11? if so that's great news other than of course existing apps that simply won't get updates. that clearly isn't the important stuff at least.

grifftaur

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2015
So curious question. Might be off the wall. Did Apple intentionally give most reviewers 12.9 so this would be ignored? Felt odd that a majority of reviews i've seen is 12.9 vs 11.

Reactions: jamesrick80

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
So curious question. Might be off the wall. Did Apple intentionally give most reviewers 12.9 so this would be ignored? Felt odd that a majority of reviews i've seen is 12.9 vs 11.

I agree. This is likely one of the reasons. Also with the new size of 12.9 being overall smaller they likely wanted reviewers to help highlight the fact the 12.9 is now far more "reasonable" a mobile option. Finally I think the one area the iPad Pro currently shines is for art based creatives and a larger screen there really helps show off with the new Apple Pencil etc.

Reactions: grifftaur
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.