Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
Didn’t Jony Ive just give an interview saying they won’t change stuff just for the sake of it?

What the hell is this about??

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
Didn’t Jony Ive just give an interview saying they won’t change stuff just for the sake of it?

What the hell is this about??

Easy... to make the screen 11 inches AND 4:3 it would have had to get wider and Apple decided that it was as wide as they wanted to go for the "smaller/regular" size vs. the 12.9 version. The 11 is about easy portable carry and there are limits and they decided the 10.5 dimensions were it, so they crammed a bigger screen in which meant a new ratio. There are upsides to this new ratio though, as I mentioned elsewhere the screen overall is just 7.5% bigger than the 10.5 screen, HOWEVER 16x9 movies display 15% larger than the 10.5 version because of the new ratio.

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
Easy... to make the screen 11 inches AND 4:3 it would have had to get wider and Apple decided that it was as wide as they wanted to go for the "smaller/regular" size vs. the 12.9 version. The 11 is about easy portable carry and there are limits and they decided the 10.5 dimensions were it, so they crammed a bigger screen in which meant a new ratio. There are upsides to this new ratio though, as I mentioned elsewhere the screen overall is just 7.5% bigger than the 10.5 screen, HOWEVER 16x9 movies display 15% larger than the 10.5 version because of the new ratio.

Your post confirms they arbitrarily decided on the 11 inches just because.

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
It works properly. It does what it was supposed to do at the time you bought it. It’s not reasonable to expect it to adopt new features in the future.

you got the point the developer did his stuff Apple dusty it they should be responseble for it

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
That is correct. Apple has an info guide for developers posted to help them finally make their apps auto layout ready if they hadn't over the last few years when Apple had been warning them to go that direction. I'm sure Apple will stop allowing new apps to be published for iPad without 11 inch support in a matter on a month or two and will stop allowing current apps to be updated without 11 inch support in 6 months or so. Most "important" iPad apps (drawing, photo etc.) 3rd party iPad apps will likely have support within a very, very short amount of time, perhaps as early as at launch.

Also if you watch 16x9 video on your 11 it gains 15% in size (compared to the 11 gaining just 7.5% overall from the 10.5) because of the new form. Basically the iPad screen is a little bigger but 16x9 video is significantly bigger. That's a good thing if you watch movies on this thing.

Appreciate the info. I have the mindset that if a developer doesn’t update their app, I’d likely just delete it. Doesn’t sound like it’ll much work for them to update though and the video advanatages are a nice feature.

Last edited:
Reactions: cudifying

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
Some quick math and googling brought me to 1,43:1. This aspect ratio is very unusual for any display and is currently the aspect ratio used for IMAX movies.
One nice thing about the aspect ratio is that it is the square root of 2. So if you split the screen in half, each half is nearly the same ratio as the full screen.

Reactions: Roman2K~

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Really hate it that apple still cant force iphone only apps to be used in split screen.
That’s more a legal thing. If I write an app and don’t want to license it for use on ipads, Apple respects that.

They could demand developers grant that right, but it gets weird when, for example, a developer wants to release a “light” app for phones and a more feature filled app for iPads, at a higher price point.

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
I’m confused as to why they display like this. I thought the screen had the same width, but was taller. Shouldn’t old 10.5” apps display taking up the full width but be centered with just top and bottom bezels?

Edit: Oh, I think it’s because of the home bar and rounded corners. Do all apps not updated for the home bar (including on the 12.9”) do this? I think they would.

Last edited:

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I’m confused as to why they display like this. I thought the screen had the same width, but was taller. Shouldn’t old 10.5” apps display taking up the full width but be centered with just top and bottom bezels?

Edit: Oh, I think it’s because of the home bar and rounded corners. Do all apps not updated for the home bar (including on the 12.9”) do this? I think they would.
No bars on 12.9

Zune55

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2015
Just want to put it out there, the new 11-inch iPad Pro doesn't only have a new resolution, but it also has a new aspect ratio, ditching iPad's infamous 4:3.

This means, almost every single iPad app will now need to be updated to the new aspect ratio, and we all know this will result in so many apps neglected and will result in massive black bars for so many apps.

The 12.9" iPad Pro is now the safe option if you want all apps to take advantage of the whole screen.

Check this video and look how terrible Rome: Total War (go to 12:10) and Affinity Photo (go to 13:05) look on the 11" iPad. This literally looks like the original iPad from 2010. Such a dumb move by Apple.

SO BUYER BEWARE.

Even when the reviewer is on the home screen or surfing web I don’t like the look, the bezel looking big. This whole Liquid Retina thing I didn’t like in XR I guess I won’t like in IPad Pro too. I didn’t pre ordered it cause I wanted to see it first.

ValO

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2012
I'm still quite surprised that after introducing the 10.5" with a new resolution just last year that they've already added another one with the 11" and a different aspect ratio.

It was a choice because otherwise they would be able to make a full fledged fitting Smart Keyboard cover. If they would have made an 11 inch in the 4:3 aspect ratio, it would still be too narrow. They also could have made an 11.5 inch in the 4:3, that would have fitted (would have been my favorite!), but that would get too close to the 12.9 inch version .
So they made this choice.
Not my choice, though, an 11.5 inch would have been perfect.

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
Just so everyone is aware. The same thing will happen with the 12.9. This isn’t model specific. Apps will be updated over time so I think it’s overblown, but good for people to know.

Why? Hasn’t the 12.9 kept its old aspect ratio?

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Why? Hasn’t the 12.9 kept its old aspect ratio?

I’m going by what Steve Troughton Smith is saying. I’m not sure exactly why, but it could be because of the swipe bar or whatever you call it at the bottom. Apps will need to be recompiled in Xcode 10.1.

Attachments

• 81295C46-D519-49DD-84FA-6912F4953168.png
    81295C46-D519-49DD-84FA-6912F4953168.png
    741 KB · Views: 354
Reactions: flur

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
So what is new aspect ratio of iPP 11”?

199:139
[doublepost=1541510449][/doublepost]
One nice thing about the aspect ratio is that it is the square root of 2. So if you split the screen in half, each half is nearly the same ratio as the full screen.

This will improve the viewing of PDFs in the European A4 size, which are proportioned like that.

jjvdhoef

macrumors member
May 19, 2009
updating your app for a new resolution is way easier than updating it for a new aspect ratio.

No its not. A higher resolution requiers higher res art-work, If size classes are implemented, a new aspect ratio is much easier to adapt your app to.

Reactions: Ghost31
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.