Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
This is full screen and zoomed in using Netflix

this is on the 11" or the 12.9"
[doublepost=1541601120][/doublepost]
What Steve T-S is referring to will happen on both models - essentially because of the home indicator (bar for swiping up to dock/home screen). Apps that are yet to be optimized will have a very thing black space along the bottom where the home indicator is. Other issue is if using split view and only 1 app isn't optimized, they'll both be treated in the old manner with the thin black bar right across the bottom.

Separate from the 11" having the new AR, but still good to be aware of.

Apple is selling not totally ready iPad its like eating not fully baked cake its better to buy last year product
better price better works

Xeyad

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
Oh my, so even the 12.9" has this issue too, albeit with smaller bars around. The 12.9" is especially confusing, since the aspect ratio and resolution are exactly the same as previous-gens. All for what? a useless home-bar thingy.

I'm sure all big-name developers will get their apps updated; I'm personally worried about older apps, and games. They will stay like this for a while at least, if not forever.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
Oh my, so even the 12.9" has this issue too, albeit with smaller bars around. The 12.9" is especially confusing, since the aspect ratio and resolution are exactly the same as previous-gens. All for what? a useless home-bar thingy.

I'm sure all big-name developers will get their apps updated; I'm personally worried about older apps, and games. They will stay like this for a while at least, if not forever.

Games are the big one, unless the developer is getting regular income from new sales (and many games unless in the top 50 die off quickly after launch) they won't spend the effort to update it. That said it isn't like the game screen got smaller etc. its just it isn't using all of the new screen.

Now if Facebook, Procreate, Lightroom CC, etc. which I use on a daily basis all don't use the screen properly that stinks but come one, they will update its a matter of time and not much at that is my guess.

Tinototem

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2010
Sweden
Anyone that can check if XCOM: enemy within have black bars? I see its latest update is 1 year ago so i am afraid it will have that and i don't except them to fix it.

I have made a rule to not buy any app that have not fixed the black bars issue.

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
It's really confusing, having a different aspect ratio on the 11" than what the 12.9" has.

Think I'll just skip out of buying this year altogether, until Apple gets its act together of a standard aspect ratio - and decides on an internal RAM standard for ALL iPads, not just giving 6GB to the 1Tb storage ones.

UGH.

Last edited:
Reactions: Donka

dannymcg

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2011
London, UK
Black bars around most apps is annoying but I suspect they will be updated pretty soon. Developers have been pretty quick to update for other devices when things have changed in the past. Hoping Netflix get sorted asap.

Reactions: flur

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Games are the big one, unless the developer is getting regular income from new sales (and many games unless in the top 50 die off quickly after launch) they won't spend the effort to update it. That said it isn't like the game screen got smaller etc. its just it isn't using all of the new screen.

Now if Facebook, Procreate, Lightroom CC, etc. which I use on a daily basis all don't use the screen properly that stinks but come one, they will update its a matter of time and not much at that is my guess.

Instagram doesn't even have an iPad app! So even big companies can not give a toss too

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
I am going to check out the new iPad pros in person today. As far as apps being optimized yet, I won’t be holding me breath. Hell... even Instagram still hasn’t optimized their app for the iPad in 8 yrs! And no landscape orientation for Instagram on the iPad? Wtf?? This will not stop me from buying the new 11” at all. If I like it better than the new 12.9”, I will buy it without hesitation. If I go with the 12.9” it will only be because I like new slimmer more portable feel. If it feels too bulky still for mobile use, I will nab the 11”. I can wait for apps to optimize. I just wanna be happy with the size choice. Everything else is secondary.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
It seems a lot of apps are going to need to be updated, Netflix, eBay, etc. as they don't support the full 12.9" now (black bars all around).
Wow, screw that.....so many apps like facebook and spotify are just garbage blown up version, I doubt this will nudge developers after 3 years of laziness.

Reactions: flowave

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I spent some time using the 11" and 12.9" in store. One of the things I wanted to see was how a 3rd party app would look. And surprisingly, there's zero apps loaded on the demo iPads besides the defaults for a clean iOS install. I wonder why...

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts

They need to ensure that the new home bar doesn’t interfere with the app’s functionality, as well as the rounded corners.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009

I wish there was an option in settings to disable the home indicator. Essentially behave like how the non-Face ID iPad Pros do now (swipe up to go home, etc).

darkarn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2017
Singapore
In case you all are wondering, I found one app with similar black bar "issue" in my 12.9 inch iPad Pro 2018

Will check for it on other apps

Reactions: max2

havenyoung

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2013
What Steve T-S is referring to will happen on both models - essentially because of the home indicator (bar for swiping up to dock/home screen). Apps that are yet to be optimized will have a very thing black space along the bottom where the home indicator is. Other issue is if using split view and only 1 app isn't optimized, they'll both be treated in the old manner with the thin black bar right across the bottom.

Separate from the 11" having the new AR, but still good to be aware of.
Not just the home indicator. The added "margins" on the sides due to the rounded corners also contribute to this.
https://developer.apple.com/design/...ines/ios/visual-design/adaptivity-and-layout/
ipadlayout.png

Reactions: profets

darkarn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2017
Singapore
Yep can confirm more apps have the black margins as explained in an earlier post

I can’t post a screenshot of my App Switcher showing some of the third party apps having such black borders while Apple apps without them as I keep getting a security error from MacRumour’s forum software

Sandstorm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2011
Riga, Latvia
What I don't understand is why Apple didn't just keep the same 10.5 sceen size and simply reduce bezels (exactly what it did with the 12.9)? That way there would be soo much less problems for everyone...

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
What I don't understand is why Apple didn't just keep the same 10.5 sceen size and simply reduce bezels (exactly what it did with the 12.9)? That way there would be soo much less problems for everyone...

Keyboard folio is more comfortable to type on with the 10.5 dimensions than the old 9.7 dimensions, which is where removing the bezels would have taken us.

I actually like the wider screen so far for split view. As it makes it a little less cramped than the old 9.7/10.5 size. Without adding the 35-40% extra weight that the 12.9 asks for. (Edit: And I’ll admit the space gained is small, but it feels less cramped despite that. It is weird)

But I think because the rounded corners and home “line/strip” introduce letterboxing on both models, Apple probably figured it was better to do what felt right in the long term if they were going to be paying the cost either way.

Last edited:

Xeyad

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
I wish there was an option in settings to disable the home indicator. Essentially behave like how the non-Face ID iPad Pros do now (swipe up to go home, etc).

Exactly! I've been using iOS 12 on my old 12.9" iPad Pro and all the new gestures work perfectly without needing a freaking home-bar indicator. It's quite nice.

Would love to see the option to disable it on the iPhone and iPad on iOS 13. Takes away space, and most people who use these devices everyday don't need to see it anymore.

darinzook

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2016
Charlotte, NC
I’m not sure I see the issue. We’re officially at Day 0. Today is Launch day. Did devs know this was coming, yes. But ultimately this is a software issue, that Apple has built the fix into the SDK for. A dev can choose to update their app, or have pissed off users. Every Apple app on my new 11” looks fantastic. I also have a few other apps by independent devs that work fine as well and use the entire screen. They were obviously prepared. This type of thing has happened with many Apple device releases, including the iPhone X, and the original iPad.

Apps will get updated in time. I don’t think this is worth returning an iPad over as the OP seems to indicate.

Reactions: marmiteturkey
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.