Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aj8690

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2012
Columbus, OH, USA
I am not sure its even an issue....from what I gather it sounds like the phone processing similar to a computer.
I'm by no means an expert on this topic, but do you really think that audible static coming from internal components of a smartphone could be considered normal? I'm putting my ear up to my rMPB with an i7 and dedicated GPU and it is dead silent.
[doublepost=1474079103][/doublepost]Which carrier does everyone have? Maybe it's specific to the non-CDMA models since I have at&t?

crawfish963

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Texas
Go to a quiet room. Hold any phone from a 6 on up against your ear. Put your finger on to the home button. Listen for a clicking or buzzing. My six does it. I have never heard the sound until I just tried to do it with my 6.

IconIc215

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
I'm by no means an expert on this topic, but do you really think that audible static coming from internal components of a smartphone could be considered normal? I'm putting my ear up to my rMPB with an i7 and dedicated GPU and it is dead silent.
[doublepost=1474079103][/doublepost]Which carrier does everyone have? Maybe it's specific to the non-CDMA models since I have at&t?

Generally speaking I wouldn't think it would make any noise but again not sure the extent of the problem. I haven't compared two devices to see if one is worse than the other. Mine seems to be slowing minimizing. It was faintly noticeable when setting up the phone. I am sure it is common just people are not aware and are still trying to wrap their head around why their screen is warmer than the 6S. It is definitely something to monitor in the next few days. Mine is AT&T as well.

Reactions: aj8690

dauthiatull

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2015
I can hear this on my 5s if I press it to my ear in a silent room. faint but its there but doesn't surprise me. I can hear most tv's turn on even without the volume and most wall wart transformers give off a sound. Im just one of those lucky ones that can hear those frequencies. comes in handy when your kid likes to sneak out to the living room at 3 am to watch tv.

aj8690

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2012
Columbus, OH, USA
Generally speaking I wouldn't think it would make any noise but again not sure the extent of the problem. I haven't compared two devices to see if one is worse than the other. Mine seems to be slowing minimizing. It was faintly noticeable when setting up the phone. I am sure it is common just people are not aware and are still trying to wrap their head around why their screen is warmer than the 6S. It is definitely something to monitor in the next few days. Mine is AT&T as well.
Strangely, mine seems to have gotten a little fainter over the last few hours. The underlying noise is still currently there, but it's not doing the louder "spikes" of noise that I was getting with data or processor usage. Maybe it will resolve itself, but I would still really like to know what exactly the source is.

I have a Verizon phone and it makes the noise on mine.
Well that rules out my theory then lol.

brianjsw01

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2015
My 7Plus is doing the same. This sounds exactly like the noises Intel CPUs make when they are switching between high performance and energy saving power states. I wonder if this is related to the A10 since they made major changes to it this cycle.

Reactions: aj8690

aj8690

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2012
Columbus, OH, USA
My 7Plus is doing the same. This sounds exactly like the noises Intel CPUs make when they are switching between high performance and energy saving power states. I wonder if this is related to the A10 since they made major changes to it this cycle.
Good theory. I didn't even think about the high efficiency/high performance core switching.

liorgr

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2016
I checked and I could hear very faint noise, similar, on the iPhone 6s. However it was very very low and hard to catch, had to go to a very quiet room to hear it.

However on my 7 plus its much lowder and I can sometime hear it when talking on the phone...

Cheeseler

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2016
Hollywood
I noticed this on my 7Plus as well
I have a Silver 256GB for AT&T

My 6sPlus makes a very tiny bit of noise from the back of the phone, but the 7 is very loud. I can hear it in phone calls.
I hope it's the processor but after moving my ear around my phone, it's loudest where the battery is (see iFixIt tear down) and a bit quieter by the logic board and lower part of the phone.

I'm gonna wait to go to apple until more people complain and hopefully apple will say it's fine, or maybe come up with a hardware fix. I'm calling apple tomorrow to open a support ticket so it's at least in record that I noticed it right away.
And yes, thankfully I have apple care.

IconIc215

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
I am surprised not more people have picked up on this by now...makes me wonder if it is isolated to a single batch of phones. If anyone happens to be at an Apple Store today check out the demo models. Although it might look odd putting your ear and listening to the back of the phones : )

zin

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom
Has anybody managed to visit an Apple Store to see what they say? Starting to think it'a normal given how many of us can hear it.

Or perhaps if somebody else can test with a previous iPhone.

Sgall123

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2016
I'm in the uk & as stated mine is also doing the same... a work colleague who has one says he can't hear anything... saying that my husband couldn't hear anything when it was at it's loudest so his ears could be as rubbish lol

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2011
Wonder if this is an issue too. I remember ipad 3 heatgate and didnt see that wasnt a potential recall but was wrong. Apple even commented on the heat
[doublepost=1474119720][/doublepost]
Has anybody managed to visit an Apple Store to see what they say? Starting to think it'a normal given how many of us can hear it.

Or perhaps if somebody else can test with a previous iPhone.
Or just listen to all the diff models there

Is this an exclusive plus issue so far??

Sgall123

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2016
Wonder if this is an issue too. I remember ipad 3 heatgate and didnt see that wasnt a potential recall but was wrong. Apple even commented on the heat
[doublepost=1474119720][/doublepost]
Or just listen to all the diff models there

Is this an exclusive plus issue so far??
Mine is also getting rather warm at times... even just general use I can feel heat coming through the case

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
I'll bet any amount of money you like that it's the CPU, it's 'normal' and they all do it.

Disappointing. :(

Was the CPU located near the top on previous iPhones? I remember in the image they showed at launch that it was near the top right corner (somewhat near the speaker grille).

Also, have we ruled out that this might be some sort of non-cpu related issue, maybe with the front face speaker it is producing low volume as if at a volume of 0.5, when it should be off? Kind of like when you don't have anything playing out of a speaker you can still hear the buzz sometimes.

KG5429

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2014
I have the same issue did not notice until pointed out on this thread. It is pretty loud when you put your ear up to the back of the phone. I have a Verizon 7 plus 128 MB. Very curious if this is normal or will be a recall issue?

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
I have the same issue did not notice until pointed out on this thread. It is pretty loud when you put your ear up to the back of the phone. I have a Verizon 7 plus 128 MB. Very curious if this is normal or will be a recall issue?
no need for a recall.

Last edited:

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
Mine is also getting rather warm at times... even just general use I can feel heat coming through the case

To be perfectly honest, this phone is probably going to be a bit warmer than previous models, because now it's got a quadcore processor. Unless scrolling down a website, or sitting dormant, it's likely going to be using those two heavy cores.

The only reason that would not contribute to higher temperatures (I believe) are if Apple had the big cores clocked at a rate low enough to produce the same heat as the dual cores in the 6s, which I am fairly certain would forgo much of the performance gains capable from this chipset.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.