Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
In fact, they are so expensive I am forced to pay in instalments,
Hmmm... am or would be? The iPad Pro really is more of a luxury item at this point.

I'd strongly recommend others to stay within budget, unless there's a specific professional need for it. The only thing I can think of is tethering it to high end movie cameras and sharing cuts during movie production that can really leverage the tandem OLED displays.

Webcat86

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2022
Bear in mind it won’t cost you full retail price to upgrade. I sold a 4th gen Air with case for £350, meaning my outlay for a new 11” Pros with Pencil Pro and Logitech combo case/keyboard was just under £1000.

You will sell a 12.9” iPad for significantly more than I got, especially with a MKB.

W£S

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2021
In fact, they are so expensive I am forced to pay in instalments, and that unfortunately doesn’t include keyboard and Apple Pencil accessory, both of which are also quite expensive.
With all the price Apple is asking, one has to wonder how long they can sell glorified iPhone for MacBook Air price.
The price is crazy high for an iPad. I don’t care about M4, given that M1 12.9 is plenty fast enough.

Given that they increased the price of the iPad so much so that it is more expensive than the MacBook Air, I am hoping that it is time Apple will give us MacOS apps.

To be frank, I don’t want MacOS on IPad. I only want 2 things
1. Files app which offers similar functionality as the MacOs, including opening 2 files app to copy and past files etc
2. Install and use all existing Mac applications on iPad. I don’t need the MacOS. Maybe a way to run all Mac Apps with an “emulator” of sorts. This way, missing apps or crippled IPadOS apps will cease to be a problem.

Webcat86

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2022
That's exactly it. I've stuck with my 2018 1TB (A12Z) because Apple is offering $350 as trade and the new equivalent setup is well over $2k with accessories. If I could at least USE the old accessories I might bite, but they won't even work and I have 3 Apple Pencil 2's.

I would totally spend the money if there was a single new thing that I needed it for over my current iPad. It's just such poor value as an upgrade because these devices have become eye-wateringly expensive with little in the way of functional improvements to justify the cost. I'm not an artist and can't exploit the new Pencil stuff.

Final Cut Camera might swing it for me because I think I need at least an M1 for that. I run a Podcast for fun (not profit) and this might help with my workflow. We will have to see.

yep

Exactly the same on something like the MacBook Air M1

You can get that brand new for $650-700 and mint preowned for well under $600 w/ base specs (256/8gb)

The Apple refurb maxed out version (2TB/16gb) is $1549 (this is also a 4 year old machine!!)

8gb more RAM and a 2TB ssd should in no way be adding nearly $1,000 to the machine and functionally it adds almost nothing

(yes more RAM is good as is more storage, but not in the magnitude of the price hike to get it -- not close)

Yea, that's why i'm struggling. My 2018 12.9 iPP is perfectly fine (aside from the battery being pretty terrible now). Until new software features come, I think i'll just keep my 2018 iPad and run it into the ground. The new iPad wouldn't make or allow me to do anything differently.Reinforcing how expensive these devices are, I can get the M3 MBA for £985 here in the UK from Costco, compared to £1,250 for the 13in M4 iPP.

How can anyone be irritated that Apple made a device so good you don’t feel compelled to upgrade it?

If the new one doesn’t feel significant, or it’s too expensive, skip it. I’ve said in another thread that we need to view phones and tablets more like we view TV, fridges and other appliances - we don’t feel compelled to upgrade those every year or two. We keep them until they’re in genuine need of upgrading.

And let’s not pretend the M4 iPads are the only options. If they’re too expensive, buy an Air. Or a Mini. Or a base iPad. Or a used M2.

As you’re all saying, these things are Expensive with a capital E. Shouldn’t that make you want to keep it as long as possible? Wouldn’t you feel short-changed if after a year or two Apple made your iPad feel 20 years old? Yes, we all would.

Let’s get some perspective here. You spent a lot of money on a tablet and it still suits your needs. GOOD!

Webcat86

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2022
You still spent an additional £1000
I didn’t say it was free… but yes, spending £1000 means I paid for the iPad and effectively got a free Pencil and case. I’m also very aware that I have a device that will let me get a good amount of money from it in the future when I upgrade again.

Also worth mentioning that my M4 is the first iPad I’ve ever bought new. All my others I bought used. The Air cost me practically nothing in the sense that I sold it for almost the same as I paid for it.
Obviously, money is money and folks should spend theirs how they want..

But ... boy these are expensive iPads
Yes they are. But what about it? They are optional, for one thing. Apple isn’t making us buy them. They also aren’t the only iPads on the market. You can buy a brand new iPad for under £400. Let’s not fuss about with prices at the luxury end of the market - that’s what the luxury end is for.

Webcat86

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2022
The price is crazy high for an iPad. I don’t care about M4, given that M1 12.9 is plenty fast enough.

Given that they increased the price of the iPad so much so that it is more expensive than the MacBook Air, I am hoping that it is time Apple will give us MacOS apps.
People need to detach price from comparing product lines. You can spend MacBook Air money on an iPhone but they’re not getting MacOS

Alameda

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2012
Which means that unlike a MacBook Air you can sign a document with an Apple Pencil (or draw things), and can disconnect the screen and still have a device that’s faster than the MacBook Air but weighs half as much.
Faster than a MacBook Air? What can the iPad do faster? I’d truly like to know.

The only thing I’ve found that iPads seem to do faster is wake from sleep.

Webcat86

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2022
Just lamenting where the pricing (and value) keeps going on most all Apple products

It was not a slight at you or your decision (not at all!)
No worries, I didn’t take it as such. But Apple has always been at that end of the market. We can quibble over actual dollar amounts but they never did budget products, never went the Windows route of being accessible at every price point.

And I’m not trying to downplay the value of money - I completely agree that they are expensive and, with some configurations, eye-wateringly expensive.

What I’m trying to say is this:

- we are really looking at one specific part of the product line (the top end)
- some people will be able to afford it and others won’t. Other people can afford it but think it isn’t worth the money
- few people need the absolute top-end M4 Pro, with 10-Core and 2tb storage. That should be a super niche offering.
- we shouldn’t focus on the price of that super niche max-spec version. For instance I bought the base level Pro, that’s £999 for the 11” with 256gb. If I wanted the 1tb, it would shoot up to £1599 - that’s 60% of the base price added on top. I don’t think that’s worth it for me, I use hardly any iPad storage
- although they’re expensive, they hold value extremely well. So anyone with an existing ipad will be able to sell that and get decent money towards it, and the new one will also be sellable down the line
- the Pro is not the only version available to buy brand new. The Air is cheaper, the Mini is cheaper, and the base iPad is surprisingly cheap too. And if someone wants a Pro but can’t afford an M4, the used market is full of previous generation versions

Overall yes I agree they’re expensive. But the comments saying there’s no reason to upgrade are actually really positive, because it means the expensive device that was bought previously continues to be good value for money.

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
All the iPad pros with m series chips are still fantastic devices and no point in upgrading unless you have the cash and need the latest thing.
That is true for me, coming from an M2.
But on the other hand I’m staring at the thing for 8-14 hours a day. Can you blame me?
And it is not trash I’m throw the “old” one away, it still has considerable (resell) value left.
And my pencil was getting a bit on, the keyboard started to fray at the edges, so I was going to buy those anyway.
But it is costly indeed.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
That is true for me, coming from an M2.
But on the other hand I’m staring at the thing for 8-14 hours a day. Can you blame me?
And it is not trash I’m throw the “old” one away, it still has considerable (resell) value left.
And my pencil was getting a bit on, the keyboard started to fray at the edges, so I was going to buy those anyway.
But it is costly indeed.

Yep, value is subjective. Buy based on value to you irrespective of what others think you should or should not do.

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
How can anyone be irritated that Apple made a device so good you don’t feel compelled to upgrade it?

If the new one doesn’t feel significant, or it’s too expensive, skip it. I’ve said in another thread that we need to view phones and tablets more like we view TV, fridges and other appliances - we don’t feel compelled to upgrade those every year or two. We keep them until they’re in genuine need of upgrading.

And let’s not pretend the M4 iPads are the only options. If they’re too expensive, buy an Air. Or a Mini. Or a base iPad. Or a used M2.

As you’re all saying, these things are Expensive with a capital E. Shouldn’t that make you want to keep it as long as possible? Wouldn’t you feel short-changed if after a year or two Apple made your iPad feel 20 years old? Yes, we all would.

Let’s get some perspective here. You spent a lot of money on a tablet and it still suits your needs. GOOD!
Yess, true, so true. But my phone 15 Pro Max? Meh. My MacBook Pro 14” m1? Just another tool I sometimes need to use.
But the iPad? Man, my life is with that thing. Seriously, 8-14 hours a day I’m using that thing. It’s awesome. And yet a bit pathetic, I know, but it’s work and then some more.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I have the M1 1TB 12.9”. Went into the Apple Store and wasn’t overly impressed. Yes, the colours pop a bit more, it’s thinner and a bit lighter. But no upgrade for me. Nothing makes my M1 skip a beat, mini-LED is still fantastic. The shearing force holding the 12.9/13 one-handed in landscape is still there. £2100 for an equivalent device, and then the keyboard and pencil replacement too. £2600, I’ll “cope” with my M1 lol.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
What am i missing here? Two pics for comparison are different. OP take a pic of same content displayed in both iPads. I have an M1 iPad Pro, i am not upgrading, but comparing two different screens doesn’t make sense.

Reactions: G5isAlive

W£S

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2021
People need to detach price from comparing product lines. You can spend MacBook Air money on an iPhone but they’re not getting MacOS
As I said in my post, I don’t want MacOS on ipad. But the iPad apps are normally crippled versions, if it exists. Many good MacOS apps don’t even exist.

All I want is for Apple to allow these MacOS app to run on the iPad. Heck, I would even support their decision to allow it on the M4 pro version as a baseline and not for the rest so they can push sales, but give us this option.

I believe this is not impossible. I recall around 2-3 years back, Apple filed a patent. The patent allows iPad to function MacOS like when it is connected to Magic KeyBoard. If they can pull this off well, it will work for me too. But I would prefer this to be selectable, cuz not everyone prefers it to look and function like MacOS even with keyboard attached.

All I am saying is choice is good and Apple should give us choices if they really want to push sales. Given that both iPad (in my region, all new iPads can be bought immediately, online or walk in) and MacBook sales are not that strong, this will give it a super boost.

Reactions: gusping

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
No worries, I didn’t take it as such. But Apple has always been at that end of the market. We can quibble over actual dollar amounts but they never did budget products, never went the Windows route of being accessible at every price point.

And I’m not trying to downplay the value of money - I completely agree that they are expensive and, with some configurations, eye-wateringly expensive.

What I’m trying to say is this:

- we are really looking at one specific part of the product line (the top end)
- some people will be able to afford it and others won’t. Other people can afford it but think it isn’t worth the money
- few people need the absolute top-end M4 Pro, with 10-Core and 2tb storage. That should be a super niche offering.
- we shouldn’t focus on the price of that super niche max-spec version. For instance I bought the base level Pro, that’s £999 for the 11” with 256gb. If I wanted the 1tb, it would shoot up to £1599 - that’s 60% of the base price added on top. I don’t think that’s worth it for me, I use hardly any iPad storage
- although they’re expensive, they hold value extremely well. So anyone with an existing ipad will be able to sell that and get decent money towards it, and the new one will also be sellable down the line
- the Pro is not the only version available to buy brand new. The Air is cheaper, the Mini is cheaper, and the base iPad is surprisingly cheap too. And if someone wants a Pro but can’t afford an M4, the used market is full of previous generation versions

Overall yes I agree they’re expensive. But the comments saying there’s no reason to upgrade are actually really positive, because it means the expensive device that was bought previously continues to be good value for money.
iPads do not hold value extremely well they are arguably the worst in the Apple ecosystem. Very expensive, trade in values are abysmal, and it’s so niche the used market has weak demand especially when the iPad lineup is so diluted.

Webcat86

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2022
iPads do not hold value extremely well they are arguably the worst in the Apple ecosystem. Very expensive, trade in values are abysmal, and it’s so niche the used market has weak demand especially when the iPad lineup is so diluted.
Being the worst in Apple’s ecosystem doesn’t mean bad overall - Apple as a brand has very good resell value.

Trade-in values are never the best for maximum value. I don’t know why you think it has weak demand, I’ve bought all my iPads used except my M4. I bought a 4th gen Air just a few months after it came out and sold it last month for almost the same as what I paid, despite there already being a 5th gen out

Reactions: FriendlyMackle

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021

I’ve never had trouble selling my iPads when I was done with them - not sure what this “niche market” crap is. I just sold an underused 10th gen in March less than 48 hours after I listed it on eBay.

As for the rest of the thread, I think Apple is fine if M1/2 owners don’t feel compelled to upgrade. They called out the first gen Pros in the release video because those (and 2017 models, I suspect) are the two groups most up for an upgrade, or even older. I’ve seen a lot of comments on the board of Air 2 buyers finally upgrading - that’s 10 years between upgrades.

They often reveal their expected uparade targets in product videos - the M3 iMac/MBP video last year took time to call out how much faster they were than the final Intel Macs, because that’s where most of the purchases were going to come from - people that hadn’t jumped on the AS train yet.

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
@Webcat86 @GMShadow you both sold cheap iPads on the used market which is easy. Try selling a $1500+ iPad Pro without taking a huge hit. It’s a lot of money for people and when a cheap $300 can basically do the same thing that’s the where the niche piece comes in. Same goes for any expensive device, there’s a point of diminishing returns because the higher the price the smaller the market.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.