Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Webcat86

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2022
Seen a few comments about pricing. What I find amazing is how easily people are able to spend this money on a iPad!

I earn a decent amount, my gf does too, however, we’d rather spend money on a new kitchen, or nice holiday, or better monitor for working on. All of which are thousands of pounds / dollars.

How can I justify £1000+ on a screen that I’ll watch YouTube on or occasional browsing. Don’t get me wrong, I’d love one!
You don’t know how other people spend their money so don’t overthink it. Some will save between models, some will finance, some will be in significant debt, some will be upgrading after 7 years, some won’t need the kitchen, some have lots of disposable income, etc etc.

In my case, it’s the first new iPad I’ve purchased. I had a tax rebate so it was an unusual opportunity to treat myself and by selling my previous iPad it effectively got me the case and pencil for free.

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
I earn a decent amount, my gf does too, however, we’d rather spend money on a new kitchen, or nice holiday, or better monitor for working on. All of which are thousands of pounds / dollars.
I either have or don't need those things, not sure why it's hard to understand how/why others spend their money.

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
I saw a couple of recent colleagues with the new iPad Pro 13" - seeing how much thinner the overall package looked (with the keyboard) has made me reconsider again :rolleyes:

Cirillo Gherardo

macrumors regular
May 9, 2024
View attachment 2379633

1) With the Magic Keyboard on, the weight difference isn’t that noticeable (it is without the keyboard)

2) OLED is better, but Mini LED is very good as well

3) The escape row key is very hard to reach under the iPad screen (you can notice this this in my pic), limiting the utility

I can’t really justify $2,000 to upgrade - I really want the landscape camera and more storage though, so I will figure out which device to buy for that. I actually was very impressed with the 13” iPad Air I tried in store. I liked both 11 inch models as well.
If you can't afford $2k to upgrade, then don't upgrade. There is no need to made all these false and exaggerated claims in order to make yourself feel better about it.

Reactions: crazynewf7

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
I saw a couple of recent colleagues with the new iPad Pro 13" - seeing how much thinner the overall package looked (with the keyboard) has made me reconsider again :rolleyes:

Are you based in the US / America? If so, I'd counsel waiting. Best Buy, Amazon etc. will surely have discounts for it. If you have a friend who is an Apple Employee, they have very large discounts (25% I think) which you can leverage (just buy them dinner for the effort).

It's definitely priced by Apple for maximum profit - buy it only if you have the budget. Otherwise just keep waiting (which is totally fine, unless you really need the OLED / thinness / speed for a professional reason)

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Can you elaborate? I have the 11” but would be curious how the 13 feels better
There is no wrong choice here depends on your needs. I've always had the smaller ipad since gen 1. I just prefer bigger screens. The 13 is still quite a bit thinner, smaller, lighter than a MacBook air. the oled is so nice I decided to go big or go home. I love the larger screen especially when watching movies and enjoying hdr content. The fact it's the thinness but yet largest iPad feels pretty neat. I have nothing that i can transport the ipad 11 in where I can't with the 13. I don't like holding either in the air for periods of time so with either one I prop it on something regardless if I'm laying in bed or on a table. For many the 11 will feel better :)

profdraper

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
View attachment 2379633

1) With the Magic Keyboard on, the weight difference isn’t that noticeable (it is without the keyboard)

2) OLED is better, but Mini LED is very good as well

3) The escape row key is very hard to reach under the iPad screen (you can notice this this in my pic), limiting the utility

I can’t really justify $2,000 to upgrade - I really want the landscape camera and more storage though, so I will figure out which device to buy for that. I actually was very impressed with the 13” iPad Air I tried in store. I liked both 11 inch models as well.
I understand & went through all that too, FWIW:

I did end up with a 13” iPad Pro but matched it with the new ESR Rebound keyboard 360 (& with function key row), far superior to the vastly overpriced & poorly balance Magic keyboard in my view. + the giant trackpad is unneccesary - that was really designed for a macbook & which has no touchscreen. On a iPad - just like my Asus touchscreen laptop - pretty much most of the trackpad functions are done on the touchscreen itself. The ESR does have a smaller trackpad, but I’m rarely using that. The function keys re easily accessible & well designed. Ditto the backlighting, quality of keys, responsiveness and battery life. Sure, needs its own usb-c cable for charging but is neither here nor there when charging overnight etc.

Back to the sooo expensive M4 ipad. Landscape camera, yes. Speed, not noticing anything much but that may well be better optimised with the release of iPadOS 18 at WWWDC, we’ll see. The most excellent feature by far for me is the display. YMMV or course, for day-to-day productivity, not so much unless you’re really trying to do colour accurate work on Photos and Film editing (I use. mc pro for that). Relaxation and TV though, the display quality is truly exceptional for Netflix, Apple TV, Paramount+ etc. HDR/4k and brightness at full wack.

See also eg: https://9to5mac.com/2024/05/21/one-week-with-the-m4-ipad-pro/

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
I understand & went through all that too, FWIW:

I did end up with a 13” iPad Pro but matched it with the new ESR Rebound keyboard 360 (& with function key row), far superior to the vastly overpriced & poorly balance Magic keyboard in my view. + the giant trackpad is unneccesary - that was really designed for a macbook & which has no touchscreen. On a iPad - just like my Asus touchscreen laptop - pretty much most of the trackpad functions are done on the touchscreen itself. The ESR does have a smaller trackpad, but I’m rarely using that. The function keys re easily accessible & well designed. Ditto the backlighting, quality of keys, responsiveness and battery life. Sure, needs its own usb-c cable for charging but is neither here nor there when charging overnight etc.

Back to the sooo expensive M4 ipad. Landscape camera, yes. Speed, not noticing anything much but that may well be better optimised with the release of iPadOS 18 at WWWDC, we’ll see. The most excellent feature by far for me is the display. YMMV or course, for day-to-day productivity, not so much unless you’re really trying to do colour accurate work on Photos and Film editing (I use. mc pro for that). Relaxation and TV though, the display quality is truly exceptional for Netflix, Apple TV, Paramount+ etc. HDR/4k and brightness at full wack.

See also eg: https://9to5mac.com/2024/05/21/one-week-with-the-m4-ipad-pro/
Yea the magic keyboard is nice (MacBook like) but the balance is horrible. I picked it up today, used it for 10 min and it's going back. I'm finding the 13" with smart folio case (love all the angles) with the pencil is the perfect setup for me. I have enough computers with keyboards I use the ipad differently. Don't really do a ton of typing on it.

Reactions: steve217 and RLRabb

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
Yea the magic keyboard is nice (MacBook like) but the balance is horrible. I picked it up today, used it for 10 min and it's going back. I'm finding the 13" with smart folio case (love all the angles) with the pencil is the perfect setup for me. I have enough computers with keyboards I use the ipad differently. Don't really do a ton of typing on it.
Have always used my iPads like that, no pencil either, if you cant draw what do you do with the pencil? Navigate?

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
A stylus, notes, toy etc. It weighs nothing and relatively cheap for an apple product. Compliments the pad.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
For those watching movies on the new iPad, are you doing that because you don't have a 4K tv or traveling a lot, or are you just doing it because you spent a lot on the iPad? I hope people aren't using the iPad when there is a much larger 4K tv available.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
A stylus, notes, toy etc. It weighs nothing and relatively cheap for an apple product. Compliments the pad.

Lol, I don’t even use the official Apple Pencil. The $15 Chinese clones using Logitech Crayon tech works well enough for me.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
For those watching movies on the new iPad, are you doing that because you don't have a 4K tv or traveling a lot, or are you just doing it because you spent a lot on the iPad? I hope people aren't using the iPad when there is a much larger 4K tv available.

I’m nearsighted. I’d need to wear glasses to watch on the TV but I can ditch them when I use the iPad. Plus, the family usually doesn’t like what I want to watch.

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
I have a home office with a iMac so use my iPad for sports/surfing etc during the day while working or pretending too ;)
Don't think I would get away with a big TV in my office. :)
At night/weekends have a 65" Sony in the lounge room.
Or sometimes on my back patio if I want to be outside and watch something.
Crazy my 3.5 year old 65" Sony TV was $2000AUD, 13" M4 256GB is $2199AUD.

erasr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007
So you went with 13” over 11”?

I have the 11” since Thursday and whilst it’s awesome, I have that nagging feeling that 13” would give me more real estate…however, I only use the iPad for browsing, shopping, YouTube, occasionally TV show or movie, and now that I have a keyboard I was thinking of taking it to coffee shops for light work. Nothing heavy.

Would 13” jabs been better? I feel like that extra space wouldn’t give me enough more, whereas if I used it for video editing or drawing, maybe yes.

Oh and can you write replies / comments like this with the pen??

AlumaMac

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2018
I prefer pen and diary, old school, tried the pencil and apps in my office but too much trouble.
I also tried to get into using the Apple Pencil for notes and other input but just found the whole process really cumbersome and slow. I wasn't impressed at all with its ability to translate my handwriting into text and then autocorrect would come along and butcher whatever I wrote even further forcing me to just use the keyboard (my old Palm Pilots were way better at text input). And finally, I couldn't stand that the Notes app forced that mini-keyboard on you when pen input was enabled.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas

I have the 11” since Thursday and whilst it’s awesome, I have that nagging feeling that 13” would give me more real estate…however, I only use the iPad for browsing, shopping, YouTube, occasionally TV show or movie, and now that I have a keyboard I was thinking of taking it to coffee shops for light work. Nothing heavy.

Would 13” jabs been better? I feel like that extra space wouldn’t give me enough more, whereas if I used it for video editing or drawing, maybe yes.
If you don't envision yourself doing a fair amount of multitasking on an iPad... I suggest staying with the 11".

I've been a 12.9" user since the beginning, and I actually gave some thought about switching to the 11" given both have the same display technology, but that thinking quickly went away when I imagined multitasking from it.

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010

Oh and can you write replies / comments like this with the pen??
The 13” is always better once you’re sitting down at a table with the keyboard, and it’s especially better at multitasking due to the extra screen size. The 11” is better while carrying it, and for me that means I’m simply more likely to bring it with me as opposed to the 12.9”.

I tend to use the 11” with cellular for day trips (like the coffee shop). I leave the 12.9 at home or in the hotel room.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.