Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cricketman

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2008
I just saw it as wel. Honestly, side by side compared to the air, it was similar. The air screen was def not as smooth. The sales guy def seemed to be selling the air more than the pro as well.

Webcat86

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2022
@Webcat86 @GMShadow you both sold cheap iPads on the used market which is easy. Try selling a $1500+ iPad Pro without taking a huge hit. It’s a lot of money for people and when a cheap $300 can basically do the same thing that’s the where the niche piece comes in. Same goes for any expensive device, there’s a point of diminishing returns because the higher the price the smaller the market.
So you’ve moved from “iPads don’t hold their value well” to specifying a really specific, really expensive version? If you think a $300 version does the same thing why are you wasting the extra $1200 in the first place?

Good god, call it a day here. Apple products have very good resale value and that includes iPads. If you want to get close to your original outlay, buy a good used one.

Webcat86

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2022
I just saw it as wel. Honestly, side by side compared to the air, it was similar. The air screen was def not as smooth. The sales guy def seemed to be selling the air more than the pro as well.
Probably because most buyers are price sensitive and he knows there’s more chance they’ll buy the Air. No point hyping the Pro if it just makes the customer feel the Air is inadequate and they leave with nothing because the Pro is out of budget.

Reactions: G5isAlive

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
Probably because most buyers are price sensitive and he knows there’s more chance they’ll buy the Air. No point hyping the Pro if it just makes the customer feel the Air is inadequate and they leave with nothing because the Pro is out of budget.
Yes this is what confuses me the most about the continuous threads and emotions on this topic.

No one is forced to buy the high end iPad Pros. Older iterations exist at cheaper price points. The iPad Air exists at cheaper price points. Other brands exist.

I can't help but feel it's a weird sour grapes scenario that no one will admit to.

1716079506820.png

semajm85

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2012
It’s a very expensive device, arguably overpriced but it is the best experience for me right now and has all the upgrades I was looking for over the 2018 11” pro I had. I had the M2 12.9 and sold it after 3 months.

That said , I’d like to share my experience after a few days of use.

Been using the 13” with Magic Keyboard since I got it on Wednesday, forced myself to use it as my only mobile devices other than my phone to see how it fits into my workflow.

Cue Jim Carrey “like a glove”

I upgraded from the 2018 11” pro.

I’ve been using it to work on
- excel budget sheets for the expenses of my new home

- collab on floor plans with the interior designer

- watch YouTube and Netflix

- game stream from my PS5

- play wild rift and Genshin

The device is absolute overkill but I love it. I can use it as tablet when I need to and work on it when I need keyboard

The experience with the screen, the weight and as an overall package has made me feel VERY comfortable and happy with purchase.

mpetrides

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2007
That's exactly it. I've stuck with my 2018 1TB (A12Z) because Apple is offering $350 as trade and the new equivalent setup is well over $2k with accessories. If I could at least USE the old accessories I might bite, but they won't even work and I have 3 Apple Pencil 2's.

I would totally spend the money if there was a single new thing that I needed it for over my current iPad. It's just such poor value as an upgrade because these devices have become eye-wateringly expensive with little in the way of functional improvements to justify the cost. I'm not an artist and can't exploit the new Pencil stuff.

Final Cut Camera might swing it for me because I think I need at least an M1 for that. I run a Podcast for fun (not profit) and this might help with my workflow. We will have to see.
That's pretty much where I am, too. Last year, I looked at the value proposition between a 13 inch M2 MBA and upgrading my 2018 12.9 inch iPad Pro and ended up deciding I'd have more use for the MBA than an upgraded iPad Pro. I haven't regretted that decision.

At this point, I'd really like to upgrade my iPad Pro because of the thinner, lighter form factor and the OLED display but I can't justify the cost, especially since I will have to shell out an additional $500 for a new Pencil and a new Magic Keyboard. I have AppleCare on the 2018 iPad Pro, so I can keep it as long as I like with relative impunity--so the decision to upgrade becomes a WANT and not a NEED.

Besides, I might need that $2500 to upgrade my 16 inch M1 Pro MBP, depending on what Apple shows in the way of Macs at WWDC. I will have to contain my lust at least until I see what's announced next month. Sigh.

mpetrides

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2007
Yes this is what confuses me the most about the continuous threads and emotions on this topic.

No one is forced to buy the high end iPad Pros. Older iterations exist at cheaper price points. The iPad Air exists at cheaper price points.
I'm not confused about this. It isn't "sour grapes," as you suggest. It's just venting frustration that the cost:benefit ratio isn't better, especially for those who already have an M-series iPad Pro.

Face it, most of us on this site are total Apple Fanboys and would buy all of the latest Apple goodies IF PRICE WERE NO OBJECT. Unfortunately, most of us don't live in a world where price is no object. And it's downright frustrating for an addict to be unable to get his fix. (Yes, "I am [insert name here] and I am an Apple Addict.") 🤪

All we're really doing here IMHO, is defining what adjustments to the cost:benefit ratio would allow us to indulge our addiction. 🤣 Said only partially facetiously...

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
It's never a bad idea to stay within your budget, whatever that may be. No one is obliged to buy the latest iPad and empty their wallets - it's on Apple to sell these, not on the consumer to buy them.
Well said. Apple definitely can charge whatever they deems reasonable. But customers are not stupid either. I bet lots of people (on this forum at least) can easily cough up $2k outright for the latest iPad Pro, but doesn’t want to for one reason or the other. Just like what Steve Jobs once said: if you produce good products, customer will buy it. Maybe Tim Cook is slowly not getting that memo.

• Angry
Reactions: G5isAlive

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Now that the Airs offer up to 1TB, I don't think people are as locked into Pros now as before.
For those wanting Face ID, they are still locked into pros, and it remains doubtful that air will ever get the Face ID module.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
It's just venting frustration that the cost:benefit ratio isn't better, especially for those who already have an M-series iPad Pro.
It’s better to play the waiting game then. I’ve noticed in recent years that iPads and MacBooks are very frequently discounted. I’d suggest waiting for e.g. Black Friday / cyber Monday etc, and you can get (hopefully) a more acceptable cost:benefit ratio.

There’s really no rush to buy these - your existing M-series is more than competent enough. The iPad Pro should probably be called “iPad edition” ala Apple Watch with the current pricing - i.e. a luxury item / toy.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
Besides, I might need that $2500 to upgrade my 16 inch M1 Pro MBP, depending on what Apple shows in the way of Macs at WWDC. I will have to contain my lust at least until I see what's announced next month. Sigh.
This really is the more practical buy.

Since you have the 2018 iPad Pro why not just get an iPad Air? The 13” models are honestly pretty good now IMO. But wait for a discount, I’d bet $100 off is not too far into the future.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I'm not confused about this. It isn't "sour grapes," as you suggest. It's just venting frustration that the cost:benefit ratio isn't better, especially for those who already have an M-series iPad Pro.

Face it, most of us on this site are total Apple Fanboys and would buy all of the latest Apple goodies IF PRICE WERE NO OBJECT. Unfortunately, most of us don't live in a world where price is no object. And it's downright frustrating for an addict to be unable to get his fix. (Yes, "I am [insert name here] and I am an Apple Addict.") 🤪

All we're really doing here IMHO, is defining what adjustments to the cost:benefit ratio would allow us to indulge our addiction. 🤣 Said only partially facetiously...

I’m more of an iPad Addict rather than an Apple Addict. 🤪

It doesn’t bother me at all what MacBook I can get for the same price. Any MacBook would likely just sit unused 99% of the time (like my M1 MacBook Air).

The main reason I even stick to the iPhone (SE) instead of going Android is because the iPhone allows me to get all my messages (including SMS/MMS) and calls on the iPad.

For desktop/laptop, I’m quite content with Windows (better for gaming, too).

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
BTW there are deals right now. e.g. $130 off base M4 iPad Pro 13”.

1716085771500.png

These are unfortunately in the US only for the most part, but the patient are often rewarded.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Never used a pencil or keyboard with a iPad, have had them from the first one.
Good they are thinner/lighter, but not at the expense of worse speakers though, one thing I do use a lot.
For me internal speakers on an iPad or Mac aren’t a high priority. Often I listen with AirPods Pro anyway. For Zoom and Teams calls pretty much anything is sufficient. I do like the lighter weight of the 13” model. After originally planning to get the 11” I decided to go with the 13” this time.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
Not disagreeing with your point, but in my experience no one in an Apple Store has ever encouraged me to buy anything. On a couple of occasions a sales person actually discouraged me from buying a device saying I didn't really need it.

Webcat86

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2022
It’s a very expensive device, arguably overpriced
we probably need to define “overpriced” at some point. Lots of people on this forum have been talking about their OLED televisions, those things are expensive! And they do nothing cheaper tvs don’t do except for blacker blacks.

And a tv really is a consumption-only device.

I see what you mean but I’ll reiterate what I said yesterday - it’s a good thing that people with devices from 2018 don’t feel a need to upgrade. Likewise, people buying a 2024 iPad can be pretty happy that they be able to keep it for 5-10 years too. Through that lens, they aren’t as expensive. Especially compared to a Pro Max phone which is probably upgraded after 2-3 years.

There’s really no rush to buy these - your existing M-series is more than competent enough. The iPad Pro should probably be called “iPad edition” ala Apple Watch with the current pricing - i.e. a luxury item / toy.
exactly this. The comments have proved that iPads have excellent longevity. That is excellent news, and makes the cost-per-use significantly lower because they’ll be owned for a long time

Reactions: dasjati and Ludatyk

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
BTW there are deals right now. e.g. $130 off base M4 iPad Pro 13”.

View attachment 2380005

These are unfortunately in the US only for the most part, but the patient are often rewarded.
Wow. That’s significant, even if only at a few stores. I always get envious of the deals you guys get in the U.S. We get virtually nothing here in the UK on any Apple product. £1,300 for the base 13in iPP is very steep.

erasr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007
Seen a few comments about pricing. What I find amazing is how easily people are able to spend this money on a iPad!

I earn a decent amount, my gf does too, however, we’d rather spend money on a new kitchen, or nice holiday, or better monitor for working on. All of which are thousands of pounds / dollars.

How can I justify £1000+ on a screen that I’ll watch YouTube on or occasional browsing. Don’t get me wrong, I’d love one!

Reactions: gusping

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
Seen a few comments about pricing. What I find amazing is how easily people are able to spend this money on a iPad!
It's safe to assume that in most cases the apparent ease of purchase is offset by lack of it elsewhere. The internet's unbalanced like that; you put all of your own challenges and limitations onto one plate, and all of the observed successes and possibilities of people on the internet on the other, and then wonder why the scales seem unbalanced.

It's perhaps better (for one's own mental health) to assume that they didn't do that new kitchen, or have that nice holiday, or their monitor was paid for by their employer. It's inconsequential if someone managed to do all of those things and still buy an expensive iPad. Especially if they tell you how they did it, and how you can do the same–because it's probably a scam.

Reactions: M5RahuL and gusping

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
So you’ve moved from “iPads don’t hold their value well” to specifying a really specific, really expensive version? If you think a $300 version does the same thing why are you wasting the extra $1200 in the first place?

Good god, call it a day here. Apple products have very good resale value and that includes iPads. If you want to get close to your original outlay, buy a good used one.
I never said anything about wasting money or it wasn’t worth it, you seem to be emotionally invested in this thread you’re starting to generalize comments. I’m simply talking about general market pricing for iPads (low) and how there’s not a lot of people willing to buy expensive items on the second hand market. The iPad is a 3rd device for a lot of folks so once again, it’s a niche device regardless of price.

fatTribble

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
I applaud anyone’s purchasing decision that’s made before they actually make the purchase. 👏

H_D

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2021
Maybe the thing is that if you buy the iPad for fun or private use, a used device (I think 2018 iPP gores for about 500—700) or the Air will suffice. Heck, the Mini will be good enough, it is a brillant device for reading and well enough for small tasks as well. If you buy a device that, while being less capable than the MBA, will cost almost twice as much, you probably have some professional need for it and it is part of your business work. I would not consider the Pro for private use, ever, but any upgrade that makes a time-based workflow faster and easier is something I will consider professionally. When you pay rent for a bigger office and have a couple of employees you have to pay and get Macs for etc...., the price of your own hardware is not that shocking anymore (at least until you buy that high-specs Studio or even the MacPro).

I just recently had a friend over with her HP-work-laptop and her Android phone. And man, I am SO happy that Apple has that high-price strategy that despite all the corners Tim Cook is cutting still ends up with tech that makes very very little compromises. It's good to have that option – especially when there are also cheaper options if you don't need max-spec-tech.

Webcat86

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2022
I never said anything about wasting money or it wasn’t worth it, you seem to be emotionally invested in this thread you’re starting to generalize comments. I’m simply talking about general market pricing for iPads (low) and how there’s not a lot of people willing to buy expensive items on the second hand market. The iPad is a 3rd device for a lot of folks so once again, it’s a niche device regardless of price.
I didn’t say you did call it a waste of money - I said it myself. Because you said the expensive one is functionally the same as the cheap one, so yes by default the expensive one is a waste. So why concern yourself with its resale value?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.