Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Just stirring the pot here on Canon's top end camera.

22-24MP
3" LCD
5fps @ full frame
9fps high speed crop
$10k?

Those specs have been floating around a variety of sites, most of which point to late August as the introduction of something new. :rolleyes:

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
I am ready to buy this camera and I can’t wait until it is released. I just hope it isn’t going to be $10k… I am sure we will see these specs come true in some form or another. It sounds like one amazing camera.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
I cannot believe 5fps at 22-24MP. I think they could certainly stick with 16MP. It is still the resolution leader, no reason to make file sizes that much bigger.

That said, 5fps at 16MP is pretty hard to believe too.
High speed crop sounds fun though.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
jared_kipe said:
I cannot believe 5fps at 22-24MP. I think they could certainly stick with 16MP. It is still the resolution leader, no reason to make file sizes that much bigger.

That said, 5fps at 16MP is pretty hard to believe too.
High speed crop sounds fun though.
just fyi - the Nikon D2Xs does high-speed cropping already. Looks like Canon got beat out on introducing that feature! (and both of them got beat out by Sony on the auto sensor cleaner).

Part of me says that $10k is ridiculous and just someone's crazy made up number. But still, people are paying full price for Canon's top body -- if the market allows it, why not charge $10k?

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
carletonmusic said:
just fyi - the Nikon D2Xs does high-speed cropping already. Looks like Canon got beat out on introducing that feature! (and both of them got beat out by Sony on the auto sensor cleaner).

Part of me says that $10k is ridiculous and just someone's crazy made up number. But still, people are paying full price for Canon's top body -- if the market allows it, why not charge $10k?
Yeah I know that, the D2X is pretty impressive, and it already has 1.5x crop which I like.

just fyi - Olympus has had auto sensor cleaning (Super Sonic Wave!) since the e-1 and later the e-300. But I think thats a feature I can do without, I've never had a problem with dust on my sensor. On my view-screen yes, but never my sensor.

beavo451

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
jared_kipe said:
Olympus has had auto sensor cleaning (Super Sonic Wave!) since the e-1 and later the e-300. But I think thats a feature I can do without, I've never had a problem with dust on my sensor. On my view-screen yes, but never my sensor.

+1 It is also another opportunity for a gizmo to break around the sensor area.

I can't imagine having to deal with 22MP images though. Files would be huge! Also, they would start to encroach on MF territory and we will see even higher resolution MF backs.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
beavo451 said:
+1 It is also another opportunity for a gizmo to break around the sensor area.

I can't imagine having to deal with 22MP images though. Files would be huge! Also, they would start to encroach on MF territory and we will see even higher resolution MF backs.
It wasn't so long ago that we heard people talking that way about 4-8MP images :p

My guess is that anyone (pro or otherwise) who has the cash to spend on a $7-10k camera also has a pretty hefty computer setup to accommodate the workflow.

Obsidian6

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2006
Laguna Niguel, CA
God i wish i could have one of those when they come out.

But i am perfectly happy with my 5D and 1DmkII bodies :)

I do kind of miss my hassy H1 however. i just simply could NOT afford a digital back for it *drools over 39MP digital back*

I'm sure when this new amazing 1D comes out, i will be able to get a 1DsmkII for an amazing deal! WOO!

beavo451

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
AGoglanian said:
God i wish i could have one of those when they come out.

But i am perfectly happy with my 5D and 1DmkII bodies :)

I do kind of miss my hassy H1 however. i just simply could NOT afford a digital back for it *drools over 39MP digital back*

I'm sure when this new amazing 1D comes out, i will be able to get a 1DsmkII for an amazing deal! WOO!

Speaking of great deals. Dell had a typo on their website for a 1Ds MkII and listed it for $4000. :eek: They didn't honor the hundreds of orders though. :mad:

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
beavo451 said:

I can't imagine having to deal with 22MP images though. Files would be huge! ......................

I worked with 160MB TIFFs in scientific projects. They were from a scanner, had 6 orders of dynamic range. It was easily possible to work with these files on Windows boxes 3 years ago. So I don't see why a quad core MacPro with a RAID system can't handle these files. And in 2-3 years nobody will care about these file sizes anymore anyway.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
I don't see this anytime soon.

Mamiyas newest digital back and SLR are 22MP in the digital arena.

I imagine we will see 16-18 before we jump to 22.

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
I can't wait for this beast to come out. I won't be able to afford it of course, but it's fun to think about.

I'm all for a higher res sensor in the MkIII, so that maybe a larger sensor will trickle into the 5D in the next few months. FF, here I come!

iGary said:

You don't think Canon will want to jump up Gary? I can see why the wouldn't, but they are already at 16.7 in the MkII. Seems like Canon would want to take on MF head on.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Mike Teezie said:
I can't wait for this beast to come out. I won't be able to afford it of course, but it's fun to think about.

I'm all for a higher res sensor in the MkIII, so that maybe a larger sensor will trickle into the 5D in the next few months. FF, here I come!

You don't think Gary? We are already at 16.7 in the MkII. Seems like Canon would want to take on MF head on.

I could be wrong, and probably am. ;)

I love your new site, by the way. May I ask if you did it yourself, and if so, where did you learn Flash from (looking for a good book).

Obsidian6

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2006
Laguna Niguel, CA
beavo451 said:
Speaking of great deals. Dell had a typo on their website for a 1Ds MkII and listed it for $4000. :eek: They didn't honor the hundreds of orders though. :mad:

I was one of them ;) LOL! it was right before i bought my 1D, i had the money in hand and i ordered it. only to get a reply with an apology stating they made an error in the pricing, and they could not offer me the camera at that price.

long story short. found a BARELY used 1DmkII ( less than 2000 pictures taken on it ) for $2400 and I couldn't be happier.

Obsidian6

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2006
Laguna Niguel, CA
iGary said:

Don't forget about the H2D from Hasselblad my friend. a cool 39MP.
and Phase one is ALWAYS churning out new versions of the Pseries backs ( i think they are in the high 30s now )
Leaf is at 31MP now i believe with their Valeo series.

As much as i loved my RZ67 way back when, i wouldnt get that Mamiya DSLR. its just.. meh.

and FTR - i think canon will at least hit 20MP with this new update. It just seems like a natural step up ya know?

I've spoken with a number of Canon reps, and while they don't know specifics, there was word a number of months back about the prototypes having 22MP.

Obviously none of us know yet :) and obviously it is going to be expensive :)

I for one think that we are crossing a boundary now, the 35mm sensor can only handle so much before it starts to lose its quality.

for example - look at all these small P&S cameras that have 8-10MP, notice how much digital noise is in those images? It's because they have surpassed the abilities of the sensors.

I have no idea personally where that limit is on a 35MM full frame, but I have a feeling we are getting close to it!

Medium format backs really are the best route if you can afford it ( i cant :(, but boy do i miss using them ) because their sensor is SO LARGE, it can handle these enormous MP counts with the greatest of ease and with hardly any noise at all.

I've personally shot with a number of different types of digital backs from both leaf and Phase one, and I just can't even begin to describe the difference in quality. it truly is incredible.

Obsidian6

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2006
Laguna Niguel, CA
w_parietti22 said:
Is there really a time when 16.7mps is not enough? :eek:

Other than shooting for a billboard ( straight from the camera! lol )

Umm... nope. :)

I've yet to find a time when 12.7MP isn't enough for my work ;)

Doesn't mean I don't still covet/lust after such high resolution cameras.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
w_parietti22 said:
Is there really a time when 16.7mps is not enough? :eek:
I am sometimes in the market for a 20x30 print. 16.7MP is great, but it's only 166ppi - I'd prefer a higher pixel density. And, if you have to crop the image at all, you're losing pixels left and right.

Obsidian6

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2006
Laguna Niguel, CA
well you could always go back to 4x5 film ;) ( i miss those days... sometimes :D )

the current digital backs for the medium format will easily be able to print 20x30

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
beavo451 said:

Apple did the same thing. I didn't know that Dell also had the typo...I ordered one from Apple but it never shipped...

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Given that the MKII is still a relatively new camera, I wonder what will happen to the prices if this new beast is released. For me, the MKII at $4k would be a great buy. :D

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
carletonmusic said:
Given that the MKII is still a relatively new camera, I wonder what will happen to the prices if this new beast is released. For me, the MKII at $4k would be a great buy. :D

Well is will be 2 years old this september...the older 11mp 1ds's are going for about $4k new so I am sure it will drop in the $4k range when the new one comes out.

Obsidian6

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2006
Laguna Niguel, CA
I was able to sell my 1Ds ( 11.1 ) for $3k about 6 months ago :)

so i had some change left over when i bought my 1DmkII

i can't wait for the 1DsmkII to come down. I would probably sell my 5D and pick one up.

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
iGary said:
I could be wrong, and probably am. ;)

I love your new site, by the way. May I ask if you did it yourself, and if so, where did you learn Flash from (looking for a good book).

Thanks a ton Gary. I didn't do it, I had a pro studio do it. It took a ton of pressure off of me, and I'm happy with the results.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.