Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wilburdl

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2006
Atlanta
I highly doubt it'd go for ten grand when the previous models were $8,000. I do believe it will be 20+MPs. And as it stands, 16MP is real useful when shooting for magazines. You can get a doube page spread with it. And sometimes the Art Director likes to crop close...

I read where they were considering merging the two 1-series bodies so there is a possibility of a high-speed crop or better FPS than the current generation. If you ask me, this may put the nail in Nikon's coffin (professionally speaking, as Nikon is a flourishing company) making Canon the undisputed champ of 35mm.

As for medium format, I'd love to get my hands on an Aptus 65. I think that's the biggest bargain in the digital MF arena--a mere $18,000 compared to it's brother the 75 (33.3MP) which comes in at thirty grand which sits at the very high end with Phase one's P45 (39MP)--right under Hasselblads CF39 (39MP) that comes in at $38,000.

beavo451

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
wilburdl said:
I read where they were considering merging the two 1-series bodies so there is a possibility of a high-speed crop or better FPS than the current generation. If you ask me, this may put the nail in Nikon's coffin (professionally speaking, as Nikon is a flourishing company) making Canon the undisputed champ of 35mm.

:confused:

Nikon doesn't have a 35mm sensor camera and have held their own for a long time now.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
I think the previous poster was trying to imply that Canon is expanding on the success of full-frame's capacity to hold more pixels with less noise over smaller sensors. (there are numerous forum topics on pixel space/density and the cost-effective capacities of certain sensor sizes.)

Taking his post a step further, Nikon may provide the final nail in the Pro (top-end) market if it doesn't look into a larger sensor size. The upward capacity of pixel density is quickly being reached for the 1.5x sensors.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
carletonmusic said:
I think the previous poster was trying to imply that Canon is expanding on the success of full-frame's capacity to hold more pixels with less noise over smaller sensors. (there are numerous forum topics on pixel space/density and the cost-effective capacities of certain sensor sizes.)

Taking his post a step further, Nikon may provide the final nail in the Pro (top-end) market if it doesn't look into a larger sensor size. The upward capacity of pixel density is quickly being reached for the 1.5x sensors.
They can make the pixels as dense as they want (to a limit imposed by design) the problem is that denser sensors are much noisier at least for now. If you look at side by sides of a D200 and 30D at iso800 or 1600 you'll quickly forget about the very slight resolution advantage the D200 has and want the cleaner 30D picture. For me, having a much cleaner image is more important than 10% horizontal resolution advantage. (which you really need to use RAW to see, not that I shoot anything but RAW)

wilburdl

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2006
Atlanta
carletonmusic said:

Exactly. I never disputed that Nikon was a healthy company. I stated that they are more than keeping afloat. With that in mind, there are loyalist who may question the benefits of a FF sensor and would much prefer a 1.5x crop. I think design-wise the D2X is more than competent and has some features (multiple exposures, hi-speed crop) that are better than the 1 series offerings. That said, side-by-side, the 1Ds has a slight edge over the D2X (add in the cost and there will be room for debate). The successor to the 1Ds would be hands down the champ.

I'll go another step further and say that there will be a decrease in price (the 5D shows us this is possible).

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
jared_kipe said:
They can make the pixels as dense as they want (to a limit imposed by design) the problem is that denser sensors are much noisier at least for now. If you look at side by sides of a D200 and 30D at iso800 or 1600 you'll quickly forget about the very slight resolution advantage the D200 has and want the cleaner 30D picture. For me, having a much cleaner image is more important than 10% horizontal resolution advantage. (which you really need to use RAW to see, not that I shoot anything but RAW)
Right, that's what I was meaning to imply. At a certain point, increasing density on a small sensor produces a lot of noise (P&S cameras especially.)

There are technologies to compensate for increased pixel density on smaller frame sizes, but it is really just a work around; a larger surface creates a simpler solution (albeit expensive).

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
New 3D

Also, a supposed Canon 3D -- a professional body between the 1D and 5D.

Specs:

Introducing the revolutionary EOS 3D.
Built from the ground up to represent the new face of digital imaging the EOS 3D will represent a breakthrough in high performance yet affordable photography.

13.3MP APS-H sized sensor
ISO 50 and 3200 standard -- ISO 25 and 6400 expanded option.
DIGIC III
Burst rate of 6fps for 18 shots in RAW and 40 in jpg.
Sealed gaskets/magnesium shell
2.4% spot meter 2.75" OLED display screen

canon_eos3d_2.jpg

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
carletonmusic said:
CameraWest is already taking pre-orders for a 22MP Canon 1Ds! :eek:

Interesting, I hope we see this camera in a few weeks. But regarding the 3D, I really wouldn't see why they would want to release it, unless it took the place of the MK II N because I wonder what the price range will be on their new cameras.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
I heard that Canon was looking to merge the top two cameras (via high-speed crop).

5D: $3299
3D: $4999?
1D: $6999?

Although they wouldn't need to, Canon could drop the MSRP on its flagship model. If this 3D ever comes to life, not much would differentiate it from the 1D (other than 9MP :D )

No matter what, the DIGIC III processor is supposed to be insane. 2x as fast as the DIGIC II.

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
carletonmusic said:
I heard that Canon was looking to merge the top two cameras (via high-speed crop).

5D: $3299
3D: $4999?
1D: $6999?

I really would like to see this price line up because it would make the most sense, basically the 3D looks to replace the MK N as it will merge to the top of the line body and if we really do get a 22mp 1ds mk III or whatever they are going to call it for $7K, I will be first in line to buy one.

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
carletonmusic said:
Also, a supposed Canon 3D -- a professional body between the 1D and 5D.

Specs:

Introducing the revolutionary EOS 3D.
Built from the ground up to represent the new face of digital imaging the EOS 3D will represent a breakthrough in high performance yet affordable photography.

13.3MP APS-H sized sensor
ISO 50 and 3200 standard -- ISO 25 and 6400 expanded option.
DIGIC III
Burst rate of 6fps for 18 shots in RAW and 40 in jpg.
Sealed gaskets/magnesium shell
2.4% spot meter 2.75" OLED display screen

canon_eos3d_1.jpg

I'd still rather have the 5D, for full frame. That is a sweet looking machine though, yikes.

snap58

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2006
somewhere in kansas
ipacmm said:
Interesting, I hope we see this camera in a few weeks. But regarding the 3D, I really wouldn't see why they would want to release it, unless it took the place of the MK II N because I wonder what the price range will be on their new cameras.

Even with the 13.3 MP sensor, the 6 FPS would be a step back for the sports shooters. Right now the MK II is rates at 8.5 FPS with 8.2 MP frame. The Nikon 2DX (?) is rated at (in crop mode) 8 FPS with 6.8 MP frames, Canon still has the speed advantage.

APS-H is 1.3 crop right?

A 3D with a FF sensor rather than the 1.3 crop, and weather sealing like the 200D (a fine camera in anyones book), would be most welcome at the 5D price. There is probably a good number not wanting to shell out $7000 or $8000 for a FF weather sealed body. I would hate to see this with a 1.3 sensor.

wilburdl

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2006
Atlanta
I'm not quite sure what the isse is. I much rather prefer image quality over fps. I'm not a sports or wildlife shooter. The current frame rate of the 1DsII works for me and when I'm using strobes it's overkill because the lights don't recycle faster than I can shoot. I'd rather they not merge the two cameras unless it brings down the cost (not having to produce two separate bodies).

On another note, I hope they bring out some better lenses. I like the 50 1.4 but it doesn't compare to the 85 1.2. There's going to be a real issue with having all this resolution and not being able to capitolize off it.

And since I'm on my wishlist, I'd like to see more dynamic range and 16 bits (more colors=smoother gradations). Bigger LCD (wow the clients) and hopefully they do away with two button operations..

Obsidian6

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2006
Laguna Niguel, CA
I would be interested in the 3D mostly because I used to be a dual EOS 3 shooter back in my film days ;) I miss those work horses.

I too have long heard from canon reps that they are going to merge the top of the line down to one camera.

frankly, i welcome the thought of the merged 1D series.

snap58

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2006
somewhere in kansas
Obsidian6 said:
I would be interested in the 3D mostly because I used to be a dual EOS 3 shooter back in my film days ;) I miss those work horses.

I too have long heard from canon reps that they are going to merge the top of the line down to one camera.

frankly, i welcome the thought of the merged 1D series.

Agree, a full frame 3D. I still love to take my EOS 1V HS out and burn a few rolls of BW film, and the occasional roll of IR. I wish my T90 still worked, I loved that camera too.

beavo451

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
wilburdl said:
I'm not quite sure what the isse is. I much rather prefer image quality over fps. I'm not a sports or wildlife shooter.

That is exactly the issue right there. Sports shooters need the extra fps and although you don't need it, there are others in the world that need it.

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
ipacmm said:
I just finished reading this article I saw on another site...

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/canon_fall_2006.html

Yep - posted it here two days ago in the thread about the Canon banner for the Aug 24 new "legend" product. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/221035/The Camera West info I originally saw here and then checked out and forwarded to Bob. POTN now has a bit about a guy who called Camera West to check it out in their rumor section. http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=199395

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
jared_kipe said:
If you look at side by sides of a D200 and 30D at iso800 or 1600 you'll quickly forget about the very slight resolution advantage the D200 has and want the cleaner 30D picture. For me, having a much cleaner image is more important than 10% horizontal resolution advantage. (which you really need to use RAW to see, not that I shoot anything but RAW)

Well, me, I prefer the more comfortable and intuitive handling that I have with my D200, not to mention that I can use a LOT of legacy lenses as well as ones coming out right now......

Sorry, you may like your 30D but I much prefer my D200. That's OK, that is what the market is all about, appealing to different people with different things....

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
Clix Pix said:
Well, me, I prefer the more comfortable and intuitive handling that I have with my D200, not to mention that I can use a LOT of legacy lenses as well as ones coming out right now......

Sorry, you may like your 30D but I much prefer my D200. That's OK, that is what the market is all about, appealing to different people with different things....
Ah ha ha.. ha ha.. I could use an old nikon lens on my 30D if I wanted to spend money on antiquated lenses. Why do people think that is such a pro for nikons is that they can use lenses older than 20 years old. I say 20 years old, because that was the beginning of the EF lenses from Canon.

More comfortable and intuitive? How conceited.

beavo451

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
jared_kipe said:
Ah ha ha.. ha ha.. I could use an old nikon lens on my 30D if I wanted to spend money on antiquated lenses. Why do people think that is such a pro for nikons is that they can use lenses older than 20 years old. I say 20 years old, because that was the beginning of the EF lenses from Canon.

More comfortable and intuitive? How conceited.

More like...

Already have a bunch of them?

What is wrong with choosing a camera that one feels is more comfortable and intuitive?

Who here can look at a print and tell me exactly what camera was used?

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
What the dealers are saying

"Canon Dealers have not been asked to sign any NDA on the 1Ds 22MP camera. They have had to sign an NDA on a 2nd one (camera). This camera will be a bit cheaper than the new 1Ds. It wont compete with a 1DmkIIN for shutter speed.. only 6 fps. perhaps a little cheaper 16MP 1dsmkIIN as to not compete directly with the new 1Ds.

There will in fact be a world-wide release of information on the August 24 date."

-----------------------------------------

Again, my speculation for pricing:

$6999 -- 1DsMkII N: 22MP, DIGICIII, and not much else new
$4999 -- 3D: 13.3MP, DIGICIII, 6fps
$3999 -- 1D MkII N: 8.2MP, same old; (maybe update to DigicIII? @ 10fps)
$2799 -- 5D: 12.8MP; Price Reduction (maybe update to DigicIII? @ 5fps)

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
beavo451 said:
More like...

Already have a bunch of them?

What is wrong with choosing a camera that one feels is more comfortable and intuitive?

Who here can look at a print and tell me exactly what camera was used?
Because its pretty conceited to say that theirs does? The only reason a D200 is more intuitive is because she has one, if she had a 30D then she would say the 30D is more intuitive. Things like feel's better and intuitive are preferences, I was commenting on very specific image quality concerns. The kind you can actually measure.

So how many great 20+ year old lenses do you have? Of course this is off topic, but I wasn't the nikon user who comes into a canon thread and tries to start trouble.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.