Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snap58

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2006
somewhere in kansas
-hh said:
Granted, there are EF-S lenses that do cover the range, but I do "lose" the capability until I spend the money to also go buy that lens. I similarly "lose" full interchangability with my SLR's that can only use EF lenses. Its nice to save some money on the telephoto end, but as always, "there's no such thing as a free lunch..."

-hh

Also the quality from a crop sensor will not match that of a FF sensor. I would imagine that 12.7, or 16.7 MP on a 1.5 or 1.6 sensor would generate a lot of noise?

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
snap58 said:
Also the quality from a crop sensor will not match that of a FF sensor. I would imagine that 12.7, or 16.7 MP on a 1.5 or 1.6 sensor would generate a lot of noise?
Be careful here; cropped sensors are both better and worse in terms of "quality".

The use the middle most (sweet spot) of EF lenses so that image quality can be better than on a full frame body, depending on the lens quality itself.

However, jamming more MP onto a smaller sensor will result in more noise. 12MP+ will most likely come on a APS-C (1.3x) or FF (1.0x) size sensor to spread out the pixels.

snap58

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2006
somewhere in kansas
carletonmusic said:
Be careful here; cropped sensors are both better and worse in terms of "quality".

The use the middle most (sweet spot) of EF lenses so that image quality can be better than on a full frame body, depending on the lens quality itself.

That is my question (or point), what if the EF-L Lens was designed to treat the FF sensor as a Crop Sensor. If the lens was designed to cover a (hypothetical) larger than FF sensor by somehow using the extra 10 mm of the canon mount, then the FF sensor would be using the "sweet spot" of the new lens (EF-L) design.

carletonmusic said:
However, jamming more MP onto a smaller sensor will result in more noise. 12MP+ will most likely come on a APS-C (1.3x) or FF (1.0x) size sensor to spread out the pixels.

I wonder if you were to crop the middle area of a higher MP FF sensor to match the crop sensor area, which would have the better quality image?

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
snap58 said:
I wonder if you were to crop the middle area of a higher MP FF sensor to match the crop sensor area, which would have the better quality image?

You're not getting a better quality image on FF or cropped sensor - it's the same. On a cropped sensor, you don't see the outer parts of the glass -- that is where some lenses start to show vignetting etc. The area that shows up in the frame of a cropped sensor will look the same as that same (middle) area on a full frame.

scaly4.jpg

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
carletonmusic said:
This is certainly true now, but if you look at the intel 8088's processor, the size of a single transistor is about the size of 2000 transistors on the new core2duo machines.

I've seen some new sensor designs which promise to drastically reduce power drawn from the sensor, as well as reduce noise at higher densities. Its all about waiting for it to happen. Look back at processors, the 8088 started at 4Mhz, and we can process now at nearly 100 times that rate. We can probably do even better now if you take into account things like SSE, cache and branch prediction.

snap58

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2006
somewhere in kansas
carletonmusic said:
You're not getting a better quality image on FF or cropped sensor - it's the same. On a cropped sensor, you don't see the outer parts of the glass -- that is where some lenses start to show vignetting etc. The area that shows up in the frame of a cropped sensor will look the same as that same (middle) area on a full frame.

scaly4.jpg

Would it (image quality) really be the same?

On a FF sensor with a greater pitch between photo receptors (like the 5D), with better light gathering characteristics, wouldn't the center crop of the FF sensor, be better than a 1.6 sensor with a tighter pitch?

If you took a 5D image and cropped out the vignetting at the edges (varies with lens of course), you think the resulting image would be the exact same quality as say the Rebel?

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
New Digital Rebel XTi/400D + 2 new lenses

Edit: this probably deserves its own thread. [making it now]

New 10.1MP body with sensor-cleaning. 50mm f/1.2 and 70-200mm f/4L IS

400D-1.jpg

50_12.gif

70-200f4.gif

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
carletonmusic said:
I can't imagine that Canon would release a 10MP Rebel XTi and have the 30D still stay at 8.2MP. A consolidated top lineup would be useful for me. Hopefully it will come in around $6k. :rolleyes:
Ha, life is unpredictable isn't it?!?!

The 30D was released quite recently so I suspect it's going to stay for about a year. I'm still hoping for a 1DsII successor at Photokina.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.