Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
I'm buying one. I've been waiting (like a lot of people) for this to come out. I'm fine with 9 focus points, I'd go nuts having to scroll thru 50 or however many they put on some of those cameras. For what I'll do with this, this camera hits all the right places.

And whoever pre-judged about the same mirror... come on. Seriously? It's a piece of crap because a few 5D had mirror problems, so this one is the same?

PC Magazine is stupid. Here's one paragraph from their article. Who can spot the mistakes?

"Other improvements to the Mark II include a sharp jump from 12.8 to 24 megapixels, plus the inclusion of a Digix 4 processor that allows captures of 3.9 images per second at the highest resolution. To complement its video capture, the camera will have a built in microphone for mono audio recording but will have an audio input to attach microphones. The DSLR will have an HDMI out as simple digital connection for playing back pictures and video on HDTV's." Link

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
We'll have to see actual images, but spec-wise, this isn't the D700-killer that Canon users were anticipating. Disappointment and apologists are running rampant on the Canon forums.

People can be a little ridiculous in their expectations (meaning the "Canon forums" you refer to - not you). :D Canon did tease folks a bit with that "eclipsing the competition" advert, admittedly; but what do people expect for $3K and under??

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
I'm buying one. I've been waiting (like a lot of people) for this to come out. I'm fine with 9 focus points, I'd go nuts having to scroll thru 50 or however many they put on some of those cameras. For what I'll do with this, this camera hits all the right places.

And whoever pre-judged about the same mirror... come on. Seriously? It's a piece of crap because a few 5D had mirror problems, so this one is the same?
I agree. Analyzing my shooting habits over the past 2 years, I've noted the following:

1. I used high FPS on my D200 only once.

2. I don't shoot sports (I prefer to watch it on TV).

3. About 50% of my images are of landscapes and cityscapes. No need to worry about AF flexibility here.

4. About 25% are of family and friends. Face-detect AF is a good addition to the 5D MkII.

5. The remaining 25% are candid shots from lots of business trips. A number of these were taken from a moving vehicle, so high-ISO (in order to use high shutter speed) with low-noise will be welcome.

For those worrying about large file sizes, the 5D MkII has two RAW modes: full 21mp and a smaller 10mp. The 10mp RAW, however, is not taken from the inner 10 megapixels (i.e. crop sensor wanna-be), but from the full frame (at least that's my understanding).

But most of all, it is going to be image quality that wins me over. If Canon's press release is correct in saying that the 5D MkII's image quality is the best of any EOS camera to date, then it's virtually a done deal. Canon has historically had the best noise suppression algorithms (which preserve detail), best per-pixel sharpness, and very pleasing color tones. A jam packed portfolio of features is ultimately self-defeating if image quality is sub-par.

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
If you need/want to record in HD you're going to want more than 12 minutes of video and this is a digital still camera. Go out and buy a real HD camera. It's a gimmick ... I'd rather have say less noise than the option to record in HD for 12 whole minutes.

YMMV, based on your applications and preferences.

For example, what I noticed about the video mode specifications is that this "12 minutes" is apparently the recording limit for just a single clip. I don't think that anything stops you from hitting stop at 11:59 and then starting another 11:59 long clip virtually immediately.

As such, the question of video practicality is based on if a 12 minute single-shot scene is long enough for you (IMO, I think it is), and the technical questions of if you can buy a large enough capacity CF card for your total duration of recording desires.

Secondly, I think that I might have caught somewhere a technical comment about taking a still image and having video recorded immediately following...?

If I read this correctly, this is very interesting and promising ... and if they did it right, with a buffer loop and variable timing trigger, it has huge "never miss another shot" value in sports-action photography.

Today, the 5Dmk2 might not have this as a feature, but because it clearly has commercial utility ("no more missed shots") and the technology already exists (Vision Research laboratory cameras since at least 2003), this will eventually come about. The only questions are how soon, and if this bridge hybridization of still with video continues.

-hh

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
For those worrying about large file sizes, the 5D MkII has two RAW modes: full 21mp and a smaller 10mp. The 10mp RAW, however, is not taken from the inner 10 megapixels (i.e. crop sensor wanna-be), but from the full frame (at least that's my understanding).

Now THAT'S interesting. Does anyone have more info about that? I wonder what exactly they're doing? Maybe it's a lossy RAW mode?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Now THAT'S interesting. Does anyone have more info about that? I wonder what exactly they're doing? Maybe it's a lossy RAW mode?

My understanding is that sRaw is pixel binned to give a lower pixel count. You get a 10Mp image from a 21Mp sensor. Less pixels = smaller file size. I should also mean lower noise, although you could get the same effect by resizing later. This won't allow more continuous shots in RAW mode though: the camera still needs to read and process (for the binning) all 21Mp.

Considering that I got the exchange rate backwards, I think that my inquiry is a moot point...unless the VAT rates are incredibly high (like 30%).

-hh

Well UK is 17.5%. I think some EU countries are a little higher. I was very surprised at you're USD number...

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
The 5DII has an input for external stereo mics...

I have read that it has input for external mics, haven't found anywhere that says they are stereo. Either way XLR or at least quarter inch is the way to go, and how would you attach a shotgun to that body?

I understand what you mean, but it's not basically a Rebel. If anything, it's basically a x0D with a full frame sensor in it, which is a significant difference.

Besides the frame, it's essentially a Rebel with a full frame sensor. Not taking anything away from camera's IQ mind you. Also, I am talking about the older 5D, the new one seems a much better improvement.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
I have read that it has input for external mics, haven't found anywhere that says they are stereo. Either way XLR or at least quarter inch is the way to go, and how would you attach a shotgun to that body?

Mic input shown in a picture here. It's a 3.5 jack so not what you want. Rob Galbraith claims it's stereo.

As to where you'd attach it? I dunno? Gaffa tap :p

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Mic input shown in a picture here. It's a 3.5 jack so not what you want. Rob Galbraith claims it's stereo.

As to where you'd attach it? I dunno? Gaffa tap :p

Yeah, I saw the input, but Rob was the only one saying it was stereo.

Gaffa tap is definitely the shooters best friend whether it be stills or video. These new SLR won't replace my Panasonic, but they do have some nice features as dual format shooters.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
But most of all, it is going to be image quality that wins me over. If Canon's press release is correct in saying that the 5D MkII's image quality is the best of any EOS camera to date, then it's virtually a done deal. Canon has historically had the best noise suppression algorithms (which preserve detail), best per-pixel sharpness, and very pleasing color tones. A jam packed portfolio of features is ultimately self-defeating if image quality is sub-par.

That's the key. All the new features and gimmicks aside, IQ still needs to be the top seller. It supposedly has a better RGB filter in front of the sensor giving it better sensitivity to light and colors, claiming it's the best over all, including their top 1D bodies. You don't make that claim and then deliver a sub-standard product. Canon isn't this season's UCLA Football team.

lucero1148

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2006
Being able to film a 12 minute clip is a great feature for a photojournalist. I can see where having that feature would be a valuable asset for someone working on a news story and be able to shoot stills then do a quick video clip of an event. You wouldn't use this camera for making a full length feature or documentary film but for video clips with excellent optics. The audio would suck but it would be sufficient for id of what you're taking at the moment or short running commentary. You wouldn't need on site pro audio for situations like this as the clips would most likely be supplemental and dubbed anyway with a studio voice track.

This won't replace video cameras but its a great little tool to add in a photojournalists kit. Possibly wedding photographers would find this useful as well?
Patrick

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination

Good video needs good audio 99% of the time. For journalists it's a must. The stereo jack helps the 5D but it's nothing that would help a journalist making even a 1 minute clip.

The D90 just won't cut it, but it is a consumer camera. Either way both body's video capabilities are great, but won't be able to handle any professional shooting in the conventional sense.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
Besides the frame, it's essentially a Rebel with a full frame sensor. Not taking anything away from camera's IQ mind you. Also, I am talking about the older 5D, the new one seems a much better improvement.

Sorry, I don't really get what you're saying. The 5D (and 5D mark II) have a full-frame sensor and a regular size body similar to the x0D series, which is significantly larger than the Rebel series. They lack scene modes, have a top LCD in addition to the back one, have a rear control dial and a control layout similar to the x0D series. They have a far more durable shutter, a pentaprism instead of a pentamirror. They lack a pop-up flash. They have a much greater level of custom settings.

I don't really see what they have in common with the Rebel series at all.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
I mean the shooting speed, autofocus, and lack of weather sealing.

And i just read that they didn't change the AF from the 5D but they did add some weather sealing.

in that case it is not 'essentially a Rebel'. It is more similar to the x0d and 1 series than a Rebel. The Rebel series are toys in comparison. (I own both a 350d and a 5d)

tonie

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2008
man this is a nice camera. i hope the AF is at least two times better than the last or at least like the 1d II focus :)

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
Secondly, I think that I might have caught somewhere a technical comment about taking a still image and having video recorded immediately following...?

If I read this correctly, this is very interesting and promising ... and if they did it right, with a buffer loop and variable timing trigger, it has huge "never miss another shot" value in sports-action photography.

-hh
I believe I also read that when one takes a still image during the video, there will be a 1 second gap in the video.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.