Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
As described on this page the 5D, along with the 40D and 50D have a "Silent Shooting" mode with live view. The 450D/XSi lacks this.

I bought the 40D for this feature.

Very useful when the camera mounted to the back of a telescope.

Live with with Zoom-In on focus makes for some nice images.

In Live View the mirror comes down o Focus ( AF ) then goes back up. The shot is almost dead silent.

Of course on a telescope I do not use AF so the mirror stays up.

I doubt the 50D or 5D have anything I need. The new display would be nice, but not worth the price of a new camera.

tonyeck

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2004
Las Vegas, NV
I'd be interested to see where people had pre-ordered from. I put my order in at Adorama recently but I don't trust that they will send it out on release as they are still taking pre orders

troyhark

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2008
It's a pity they didn't include that feature with the XSi. I draw a lot of attention from the guards in museums with all that clacking going on. Even if they allow photography, it makes the guards hawk eye me intensely and follow me around, which is a bit disconcerting.
Point + Shoots are good for gallery/museum photography for their silent option. And discreet size. Plus if they do object, they take you less seriously with a 'tourist' camera

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Point + Shoots are good for gallery/museum photography for their silent option. And discreet size. Plus if they do object, they take you less seriously with a 'tourist' camera

Right, but I'm not doing casual, tourist photography. I'm amassing a library of images for teaching and academic publication. They need to be very good.

I tried to get away with PnS shots for years, but museums are very low light settings where tripods are mostly forbidden. Also, I needed more control over DOF, since statues rarely have a nicely uncluttered background (I'm photographing mostly Graeco-Roman sculpture).

A 5D would actually be the perfect camera for me, but I don't have the budget for one (and all the FF glass to go with it) right now. Alas, I don't get paid for any of these photos, so it's pretty tough for me to justify such an investment.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
It would be pretty embarrassing to have a thread in the Photography section locked down. We have always acted as adults so let's keep that up. If you were involved in any part of the previous back-and-forth posts, just let it go so we can move on and talk about this camera.

Personally, I'm loving this 5D update. Image quality in low light to me is more important than a billion AF points on this type of camera.

Also, there are many of us who don't have a great deal of experience working with high-end video cameras. We know our way around a DSLR but don't have the time/$ to invest in motion gear. This should provide us an opportunity to play around with video using our existing gear. That's a pretty cool way to get into it and I'm pumped to try it out. I don't plan on making serious movies, but for traveling or the occasional special moment, it could be valuable to have.

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
In Live View the mirror comes down o Focus ( AF ) then goes back up. The shot is almost dead silent.

Of course on a telescope I do not use AF so the mirror stays up.

I doubt the 50D or 5D have anything I need. The new display would be nice, but not worth the price of a new camera.
Slightly off topic, but how is your telescope set up? I got my degree in astronomy/astrophysics but I haven't been in the field in a while. Is a FF camera a huge improvement over a regular SLR, especially with the larger photodiodes? I'm currently looking at the 5D or the D700 before I invest into a lens system for glass.

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
I started with a Minolta X-700. It had no autofocus; AF lenses made their debut with the Minolta Maxxum a few years later and I subsequently upgraded to the Maxxum 7. The Canon 5D has a much more advanced version of AF than the old Maxxum. It may not be up to the standards of the 1D or Nikon CAM-1xxx, but it's actually more than I need.

For landscapes, cityscapes, and family/friends, it works quite well.

Regarding 3.9 fps, for me that is more than adequately compensated for by 30fps HD video at full 1920x1080. Whenever I need to capture action, I'll just switch to video and pick individual frames out of the video sequence.

The AF and FPS trade-offs in this camera simply position it for a different audience. If you are someone who depends on AF and FPS, all you need to do is realize the obvious: This camera is not for you.

Don't drop it in the sewer accompanied by endless rants of selfish disappointment coming from a realization that the camera isn't meant for you. Instead, just shop elsewhere. Pricewise, the 1D MkIII is the logical choice. It has enough megapixels and enough speed.

I am as impressed by the 5D MkII today as I was the day it was unveiled. It's still on my short list of goodies to buy. Not going to preorder though; I need to see more samples to judge image quality.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
I'm going to just pre-order from a local brick'n'mortar store, not that I don't trust Adorama or BH but with the volume they'll have to ship out I doubt they could ever give you any kind of reasonable guess as to when your camera would arrive. And since it's a brand new camera I don't expect they'll be any substantial price difference.

tonyeck

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2004
Las Vegas, NV
I'm going to just pre-order from a local brick'n'mortar store, not that I don't trust Adorama or BH but with the volume they'll have to ship out I doubt they could ever give you any kind of reasonable guess as to when your camera would arrive. And since it's a brand new camera I don't expect they'll be any substantial price difference.

I have to admit, and in fear of sounding cheap when dropping a lot of cash on the 5D, I love not having to pay sales tax when ordering online! Would be an extra $200...

troyhark

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2008
Right, but I'm not doing casual, tourist photography. I'm amassing a library of images for teaching and academic publication. They need to be very good.
I wasn't talking about casual tourtist photography either. Rather about when photography is frowned upon. I happen to like photographing art in the context of galleries and people viewing. Sometimes it's OK, sometimes it isn't. A less serious looking camera is more likely to be ignored.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Honestly, this is really sickening. If you have been on the photography forum for 20 posts or 2000, it should be known that we don't resort to the childish back-and-forth or OMGLOL!Z kinds of behavior here. This is one of the few photog forums where people know how to behave - and when someone forgets, everyone else is mature enough to let it go so it doesn't turn into a pissing match. If you need to write flame posts, send them privately so we don't have to hear about it. I am almost ready to PM a mod to lock this thread, which would be a bit embarrassing for our crowd.

Just stop it or move along.

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
Honestly, this is really sickening. If you have been on the photography forum for 20 posts or 2000, it should be known that we don't resort to the childish back-and-forth or OMGLOL!Z kinds of behavior here. This is one of the few photog forums where people know how to behave - and when someone forgets, everyone else is mature enough to let it go so it doesn't turn into a pissing match. If you need to write flame posts, send them privately so we don't have to hear about it. I am almost ready to PM a mod to lock this thread, which would be a bit embarrassing for our crowd.

Just stop it or move along.

I remember way back in the day, two very prominent members got banned for having a HUGE Canon vs. Nikon pissing match. I couldn't believe what I was seeing - two smart, well thought of guys just hammering each other over brand loyalty.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Mod Note:

This thread is now a lot shorter then it used to be.

Please keep the personal comments/trolling out of discussions thanks.

I imagine it will calm down now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.