Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Consider the 16" is a brick but has an amazing screen I think it really depends how you intend to use the laptop.

The 14" is heavy in a sense but it is nothing like the 16". Now the 14" has the same high performance mode as the 16".

So really the only difference is size and weight. Size of the screen, speakers, and battery and thermals. Obviously the 14" is considerably more portable.

Previously I probably would have preferred the 16" but now with M3 I think the 14" for my use would be best but if ultimate performance and screen size is most important the 16" can't be beat!

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I went from a 16" to 14" and love it. Much more portable, more comfortable on the lap, lighter, keyboard is still plenty big and run it display scaled a little bit so everything is slightly smaller and it seems about the same. PPI is high enough now that display scaling looks fine.

MrT-Man

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2008
My thought on this is:

- The 16” screen is ridiculously good
- I notice the nicer screen size way more than the extra weight, when using the 16” MBP on my lap
- I always bring my iPad with me anyway when I travel, so I can use that on airplanes instead of the MBP
- Carrying around the extra weight sucks, but ultimately, my bag/backpack being 15% heavier (factoring in other stuff that’s in it) isn’t the end of the world
- Even though I use the MBP docked much of the time, it’s probably good to have better thermal performance

I just really wish Apple would make the battery 30% smaller in favor of weight savings, because I really have no need for 20 hours of battery life. And I have no idea who does.

chrismu

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2021
My thought on this is:

- I notice the nicer screen size way more than the extra weight, when using the 16” MBP on my lap
- I always bring my iPad with me anyway when I travel, so I can use that on airplanes instead of the MBP
- Carrying around the extra weight sucks, but ultimately, my bag/backpack being 15% heavier (factoring in other stuff that’s in it) isn’t the end of the world
- Even though I use the MBP docked much of the time, it’s probably good to have better thermal performance

I just really wish Apple would make the battery 30% smaller in favor of weight savings, because I really have no need for 20 hours of battery life. And I have no idea who does.
Great points, especially on the battery. I don’t really get why the bigger display has to come with a bigger battery, I would rather have the same battery life as on the 14” and get a thinner and lighter device. The 14” is noticeably less thick which makes it better to type on in my opinion.

Reactions: brgjoe

tim1000

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
Great points, especially on the battery. I don’t really get why the bigger display has to come with a bigger battery, I would rather have the same battery life as on the 14” and get a thinner and lighter device. The 14” is noticeably less thick which makes it better to type on in my opinion.
Never noticed 14 being thinner than 16. By how much?

tekksan

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2009
I got a 14" M3 Pro on launch day and have been using it for well over a month now. I sort of was thinking of getting the Max chip but after reading/researching the Max in the 14" frame, it looks like it may be pushing the boundaries of what the 14" frame can handle so I went to the Apple Store and looked at the 16" and whoa, that thing is so big. I don't think it is really heavy and the screen is nice but the footprint of it is too big for me. I just can't imagine having fun bringing it to coffee shops, using it on the sofa, etc. and my desk isn't that big to begin with and it would take up so much space. I usually use an external monitor while I'm working at home so the screen size isn't as big of a deal to me on the 16" as it might be for some.

I looked at the 15" Air while I was there too and that laptop was so nice. It didn't seem near as big/bulky as the 16". I hope Apple brings back the 15" MBP down the road.

sockdoggy

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2002
Brooklyn
My thought on this is:

Have a similar setup. If you don't have an iPad, the 14" seems like the choice to me.

tennisboygr

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2016
I just purchased from B&H Photo the M1 Max (64g Ram/2TB) 16". I currently have a 13" Macbook Pro, but wanted to go to a bigger size for being able to have two windows open and such. I'm not too worried about lugging it around as I'm not a college student anymore sitting cross-legged in the quad contemplating life's deep questions.

tennisboygr

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2016
IMG_1175.jpeg

I just purchased from B&H Photo the M1 Max (64g Ram/2TB) 16". I currently have a 13" Macbook Pro, but wanted to go to a bigger size for being able to have two windows open and such. I'm not too worried about lugging it around as I'm not a college student anymore sitting cross-legged in the quad contemplating life's deep questions.
Here is a size comparison:

Mabincredible2

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2020
For individuals owning a studio display or any preferred monitor, does the 16-inch screen become unnecessary when the work is done mostly indoor? While I appreciate the expansive 16-inch display, I'm contemplating the practicality of opting for the 14-inch model. This way, I can manage lighter tasks on the smaller screen comfortably from the couch, reserving dedicated and intensive work sessions for having the MacBook connected to the studio display.

Reactions: Makisupa Policeman

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
For individuals owning a studio display or any preferred monitor, does the 16-inch screen become unnecessary when the work is done mostly indoor? While I appreciate the expansive 16-inch display, I'm contemplating the practicality of opting for the 14-inch model. This way, I can manage lighter tasks on the smaller screen comfortably from the couch, reserving dedicated and intensive work sessions for having the MacBook connected to the studio display.
I ordered 14” as I have a 24” iMac in my home office, will be just for around the house and patio. And holidays and work trips by car, wouldn’t take OS, have a 11” iPad I just used for that.

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
I had a 16” with a studio display for about a year and started thinking along these lines. Decided to switch to a 14” in February figuring I would rather have the more compact laptop for traveling and the couch. What I found is that the times I used the computer as a laptop were actually the times I wanted the biggest screen I could get. I use my computer mainly for photo editing and the 14” was just too cramped. I went back to the 16” when the M3s came out last month and doubt I’ll ever go back. The 16” is definitely not a studio display. But the extra space does make the computer more useable (for me) when I’m away from the big monitor. Ultimately though, it all comes down to personal preference (as the >1000 posts in this thread have shown).

dropadrop

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2006
I should be ordering a new work computer to replace my 2019 intel 16” mbp.

I have a 14” model at home for personal use and really like it, but the screen seems a bit small compared to the 16”. At the same time the 14” is obviously obviously lighter which does not help at home, but would be nice at work.

So I guess the age old question… I’ve spent the last 15 years moving between the smaller and bigger versions, but with eyesight fading it makes it even harder.

I get the the new 16” is a brick, even heavier then my old 16”. But focusing on the size of the display with bad eyesight, has anyone compared 14” vs 16”?

Last edited:

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
Would the 15" Macbook Air be an option for what you do at work? Lighter than the 16", but still bigger than the 14", though not as powerful as either.

Reactions: dropadrop

dropadrop

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2006
Would the 15" Macbook Air be an option for what you do at work? Lighter than the 16", but still bigger than the 14", though not as powerful as either.
Yeah, it would be perfect if it had an HDMI connector.

I visit a lot of companies and need to do presentations. Last year twice I could not get my USB-C to HDMI adapters to work causing a lot of hassle (email presentation, use somebody elses computer).

Getting a HDMI connector is one of the main reasons for me to upgrade.

Reactions: RickTaylor

gui0312

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2015
I should be ordering a new work computer to replace my 2019 intel 16” mbp.

I have a 14” model at home for personal use and really like it, but the screen seems a bit small compared to the 16”. At the same time the 14” is obviously obviously lighter which does not help at home, but would be nice at work.

So I guess the age old question… I’ve spent the last 15 years moving between the smaller and bigger versions, but with eyesight fading it makes it even harder.

I get the the new 16” is a brick, even heavier then my old 16”. But focusing on the size of the display with bad eyesight, has anyone compared 14” vs 16”?
I’ve been in the same dilemma…

Attachments

• IMG_0111.jpeg
    IMG_0111.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 163

gui0312

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2015
Always want what you don’t have. I have the 14” MBP but wonder if the 16” would be better? If I did have the 16 I’d wonder if the 14 might be the one?
lol my wife actually told me I should’ve taken the openbox 16 they had at Best Buy today to see how I liked it. I told her, if I take the 16 home there’s probably no going back! Hence I decided not to! More I think about it, the 14 might just be the better option in terms of functionality and price.

SuperPuppet

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2023
I just ordered the 16” M3 Max. I measured it against my 2011 15 inch MBP and the body is slighly smaller.
Screen bigger yes, due to reduced bezel, but chassis about 1/2 an inch less in width. Anyhow, the point being, that 15 inch was no issue to carry about. The current 16 inch is a great size!

Paul Deemer

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2023
Greenville, SC
I hear you, I'm just stating that holding it with one hand is almost impossible due do the shape and heaviness. It's HUGE honestly... I was shocked
Carrying it around isn't a problem with this. 😁 Love mine! 👍

stu.h

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
West Midlands, England.
I’ve currently got a 16” 2019 i9 and after watching videos about the size difference, the 14” looks tiny. That coupled with the better battery life, better speakers, better thermal hardware, it’s going to be the new 16” one for me again.
I’m going to purchase a new 16” M1 Pro base model tomorrow, saving £1k off the similar specced M3 Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.